Heart says i500 Brain says i210 I need help

nyjets1

I’ve never had a set of irons that are as consistent in terms of ball flight and distance as my i500’s.

I agree with a lot of the comments about how they feel great when struck out the middle but pretty horrible when not, but the performance on a mishit shot is more important in my opinion and in that, the i500’s are superb.

I actually view it as the best of both worlds, when I don’t hit it very well, I don’t get punished too much but I don’t get fooled into thinking that I’ve hit it well either.

I 210 w power spec. Done.

Agree...I’d take precision with the i210s over not knowing if my 7 iron is going to go 150 or 165 in the i500s.

Keep in mind though if you go with the Power spec the bounce will change ever so slightly

I’d agree except that hasn’t been the case with my i500s. I was skeptical looking at the numbers on whether they were too low spinning. On the course they spin plenty good and stop within a foot with every iron just the same as my previous irons. They are upwards of a club and a half longer, go higher and straighter.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
TaylorMade M5 14* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
TaylorMade M5 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Ping i500 4-UW Recoil 110 F4
Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50.0, 54 ES & 58 ES Recoil 110 F4
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

I’m confused, the i500’s are far easier to hit than the i210’s. I even found the iBlades easier to hit than the i210’s.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Have cake and eat it too...

3/4/5, maybe 6 in i500s, have them bent a degree weak

7-PW i210s

GW Glide Stealth 2.0

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Best Grips Perforated Leather
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

This is GolfWRX so let's just be honest. You're going to end up owning both at some point so just buy both now and eliminate the head v heart concern.

This is the first thing I thought too. It's what I know I would end up doing lol.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

Agree...I’d take precision with the i210s over not knowing if my 7 iron is going to go 150 or 165 in the i500s.

Keep in mind though if you go with the Power spec the bounce will change ever so slightly

Except that you are stating a totally false choice. The i500 irons are as consistent in ball flight and distance as any iron that I have ever owned.

G700 5-PW with i500 UW ... sweet!

The Navy Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max Driver Alta CB Slate Sr

Ping G425 Max 5w / 7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h / 5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 5-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS / 58° Eye2 Z-115

Seemore PCB 33"

Back-up Hoofer bag:

Ping Eye2+ 3-9 Aldila Low Torque Graphite, PW-SW KT Steel

@eebomb bounce decreases with power spec but not enough to matter.

I believe on a per degree loft basis the i200/210 are as long as anything when fitted properly. Most consistent iron I've ever had. Have never been pin high so often with anything else.

To me, the i500 is in sort of an awkward spot now with the G410 out. The G410s look pretty good, have strong lofts and are more forgiving. If I wanted jacked up lofts over feel and consistency, fwiw I'd get the G410.

The sole design on the i200/210 is extraordinarily good. I think anyone with a 15ish HC (maybe even 20 HC if ball striking is ok) or better could do very well with the i210 up to whatever iron they're comfortable hitting, then switch to hybrids. If you're in scoring range you want control, not distance.

I’m confused, the i500’s are far easier to hit than the i210’s. I even found the iBlades easier to hit than the i210’s.

Except that is how they worked for you and your swing. Thats why this thread is entertaining because each iron set works differently for everyone. I found the i210s much easier to hit than the blades or i500s and almost on par with the g410s.

Agree...Id take precision with the i210s over not knowing if my 7 iron is going to go 150 or 165 in the i500s.

bounce increase when strengthening lofts?

I believe decrease bounce

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Got fitted last fall. Hit both the i500 and the i210. I did love the looks and distance of the i500 but I couldn't pass up the feel and precision of the i210. Bought the i210's and love them so much I don't miss the i500 at all.

This was the key for me...feel and precision. They are so soft and distances are spot on. With Power Spec, mine are long for me. I love them and have no interest in any other iron right now.

PING G410 LST 9° Ping Tour 65 S

PING Tisi Tec 14° Fairway Aldila 350 S

Cobra Aerojet Hybrid 19° KBS PGI S

PING iCrossover 22° Ping Tour 85 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Pro 5-G DG 105 S

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52° DG Spinner 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 58° DG Spinner 115

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5

I owned a set of i200’s power spec and they delivered excellent distance. May be close to the i500 for some players. But I found the i500 to be longer in a demo, even matching lofts as close as possible. The hollow head has its fans and detractors, but the trampoline effect seems greater and the head puts a higher launch on lower lofts. It does feel a little different to me, but it did not feel clangy. Center it and it feels like you smashed the ball.

Not as soft as the 200/210 series, but longer for me. I don’t know if it is quite a club longer, would need to really look at numbers, but the i500 delivers on carry, no doubt. Looks really nice at address. Have not seen G410 yet, did not like strong offset look of past G irons. The i500 wins there.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Hope you're not suggesting i500s have a "hot spot".

You'll be lynched! ;)

I just started gaming i500. In my last fitting I wanted a game improvement iron. Despite being a 0 handicap I’m just not playing/practicing enough that I’m wearing out the sweet spot.

The i500s were both the longest and most consistent of everything I tried within the “players” improvement category. Once I saw those results I didn’t care about feel. Besides, anything feels good when hit in the center and not so good when missed. These can have a hollow sound (because they’re hollow!) when hit from a tee or flyer lie.

I’m pretty happy with the decision. They are really long. That could be a negative when it comes to distance gapping. I’ll have to wait until the spring time to get a good idea in that respect but it’ll only be a matter of adjusting lofts to get the gaps where I’m satisfied.

Hot spot is garbage. There is a dead center is the sweet spot. And sure, like every other club on the planet, the dead but center goes the furthest.

Even blades.

But the distance loss around this spot isn’t enormous. It’s not some mythical 10 yards all of a sudden.

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Best Grips Perforated Leather
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

I believe on a per degree loft basis the i200/210 are as long as anything when fitted properly. Most consistent iron I've ever had. Have never been pin high so often with anything else.

To me, the i500 is in sort of an awkward spot now with the G410 out. The G410s look pretty good, have strong lofts and are more forgiving. If I wanted jacked up lofts over feel and consistency, fwiw I'd get the G410.

The sole design on the i200/210 is extraordinarily good. I think anyone with a 15ish HC (maybe even 20 HC if ball striking is ok) or better could do very well with the i210 up to whatever iron they're comfortable hitting, then switch to hybrids. If you're in scoring range you want control, not distance.

how are your 210s wearing? Consensus says they look pretty bad early and kind of even out over time. Is that what you have experienced?

I have both. They are really for different types of players, and perhaps opposite of what most would expect.

The i500s are what I play now. Despite what one might think I believe they are for very good golfers (I'd roughly say 5 handicap or better) that want extra distance. So basically old farts like me that are decent players but losing distance with age. You need to hit the center of the club face to get a consistent distance. The short irons feel great. The 4-5 irons are bit harsh and sound clanky when missed. But my old 4 iron went 195 and low. With these it's 220 and high.

I store my i210s at our winter home. They feel better. I think they are more forgiving. So why wouldn't I use these???

The reason I like the i500s better is simply the higher, faster launch gives me extra yardage with the 8 iron through the 4 iron. I play a lot of tournament golf. Hitting a high 6 iron from 185 rather than a low flying 5 iron increases my GIR quite a bit and gives me more birdie chances. Simple as that.

ETA: So many opinions on the i500. It's really a club you have to try to decide if it's for you.

how are your 210s wearing? Consensus says they look pretty bad early and kind of even out over time. Is that what you have experienced?

My i200s wore ok. I heard something about complaints but didn't notice or maybe I'm just not overly sensitive...clubs are bound to wear. I'm probably the last person on the planet who would ever consider iron covers. My backup iron set has lead tape all over them. I routinely throw my old adams a12pro hybrid in with no head cover. Otoh I carefully wipe clubs after each shot and again after the round.

Getting i210s now to go to a different shaft and tweak a couple of fittings details vs fooling with expensive reshaft etc so we'll see, doubt it will be a problem.

Well after careful consideration, indoor testing because I'm in Rochester N.Y. and you guys I've finally came to a decision. PING I210 POWER SPEC wins the day. The numbers were dead even but the feel of the i210 is just something special. For once my brain beats out my heart.

PING G425 LST 10.5* HAZRDUS RDX BLUE
PING G425 MAX  3 5 9 woods Alta Slate 65
PING I525 5 thru 7 UST RECOIL
PING I59  8 thru PW UST RECOIL
PING TOUR 50* 54* 58* UST RECOIL
GUERIN Tour Spec GR3
TaylorMade TP5

Well after careful consideration, indoor testing because I'm in Rochester N.Y. and you guys I've finally came to a decision. PING I210 POWER SPEC wins the day. The numbers were dead even but the feel of the i210 is just something special. For once my brain beats out my heart.

That’s awesome. Congratulations! I may be trying out a set of i210’s to replace my i500’s.

• 11 months later...

I played my I500s for first time today.

A few toe hits went 97% of required distance. No complaints there.

Once I heard the hollow noise that some dislike. The next noise I heard was the tweet tweet of 10 foot birdie putt. So no complaints there either.

Plenty of spin. A 175yd 7-Iron stopped in 5 feet. No complaints there.

No sign of any jumpers. No distance control issues.

Love the extra-clubs worth of carry.

• Like 1

OP, I have PING i500's (5-U) and S55's (5-W, Glide 50*).

I switch them back & forth depending on their performance each time I play. If I hit over 10 greens per round, I don't switch.

So far, the s55's have been in the bag for 4 rounds.

Both sets perform, feel and forgive very well. Shafts are the main difference with the s55's having SteelFibers and the i500's having DG105's.

I like the looks of both at address.

I'm still gaming i500s year and a half later. Get a smooth shaft and swing easy - center contact bombers.

Oddly enough, with the same shaft and specs I couldn't hit the i210s. At all. Not even off mats. Could just be me - but offset and bounce were a no go. And the i500s look so dayum good!

Only thing I regret is not getting the 3i in a graphite or lighter/higher launch shaft. It is a bomber off the tee in steel, but rare to hit anything other than low bullets off the deck.

But as others have said. Which one do you like? Love? I left my fitting going - "yep, these are mine". Shot my best rounds ever with them. Was playing lights out day 1. Fit me perfect.

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto