Sergio disqualified from the Saudi tournament on the European tour

Here comes the Boom

Brooks,,, lol

It's not like Sergio is the only one to act like this. Brooks might as well say that half the field in my sport needs to grow up... And then double apologize when he he himself acts like a child...

Meltdowns happen,, it's a human thing..

Pretty sure no one else has intentionally damaged 5 greens and hacked up a bunker. Damaging one green, throwing a club in the water, breaking a club, hitting a moving ball on the green, hitting all the balls in your bag into the water are meltdowns. What he did wasn't a meltdown, it was a 5 hole temper tantrum and it's not normal.

You don’t know it was a “tantrum”.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DQ isn't an inconsequential penalty. Scrape and some scuff marks, he apologized to the other players. The level of "outrage" is a little surprising. Even the actual scrape was an easy fix, the rest apparently a temporary annoyance. Not at all surprised he wasn't suspended, and I'm sure people that had the actual facts and saw the actual damage were involved in the decision. The people actually affected have had no trouble putting it behind them.

Normally I would agree with you given modern society's outrage culture, however in this instance Garcia merits all the criticism he's getting. It doesn't matter what the damage was like, the fact he inflicted it deliberately is enough - not to mention the fact he did this 5 times. The fact it was supposedly an "easy fix" is completely and utterly irrelevant.

He acted like a fu*king tw@t and what he did is, in a golfing context, indefensible.

Brooks Koepka also agrees:

“Ugh, it’s frustrating as a player to see, to act like that, to disrespect everybody. To act like a child out there is not cool. It’s not setting a good example and it’s not cool to us, showing us no respect or anybody else.

That’s just Sergio acting like a child. It’s unfortunate that he’s got to do that and complain. Everybody’s got to play the same golf course. I didn’t play very good, but you didn’t really see anybody else doing that. You’re 40 years old so you gotta grow up eventually.”

Wow, did he really say this? I mean you don't often hear a PGA player call out another player this strongly. And, you're exactly right, damaging four(!) greens intentionally is damaging multiple greens intentionally. It doesn't matter if you could easily repair it. And, realistically, you aren't going to damage a green so blatantly that it's obvious and beyond repair. If he went that far, you'd be talking suspending him half a season IMO.

Honest question, has anyone ever heard of this happening before at this level in recent memory? For those more on the inside, is this something that's done now and then or is this pretty unprecedented?

Yes, he said that. And he's spot on of course. I like Koepka's willingness to tell it like it is and I'm glad a fellow professional spoke out.

Brooks,,, lol

It's not like Sergio is the only one to act like this. Brooks might as well say that half the field in my sport needs to grow up... And then double apologize when he he himself acts like a child...

Pretty sure no one else has intentionally damaged 5 greens and hacked up a bunker. Damaging one green, throwing a club in the water, breaking a club, hitting a moving ball on the green, hitting all the balls in your bag into the water are meltdowns. What he did wasn't a meltdown, it was a 5 hole temper tantrum and it's not normal.

You don't know it was a "tantrum".

What would you call it then? We can argue over semantics, but the bottom line is he acted like a complete pr!ck.

I think he just did a Phil. Greens were awful, making a point, went about it totally the wrong way.

Yes, but they were awful for everyone. That's the point. Garcia wasn't being unfairly treated or singled-out by the fact he had to putt on them.

My point exactly. As I said, he did a Phil.

Not really, Phil did nothing to potentially put the groups behind him at a disadvantage

Brooks,,, lol

What would you call it then? We can argue over semantics, but the bottom line is he acted like a complete pr!ck.

I didn't see it, neither did you. It"s not arguing over semantics and ramping up the rhetoric and calling him names reflects on you not Sergio.

Link me to the proof of any "tantrum" on the greens.

Brooks,,, lol

I didn't see it, neither did you. It"s not arguing over semantics and ramping up the rhetoric and calling him names reflects on you not Sergio.

Link me to the proof of any "tantrum" on the greens.

Lol. OK. But if you didn't see it, how can you be so certain it wasn't a tantrum?

Either way his actions (deliberately damaging 5 greens) have all the characteristics of a grown man who has lost his temper and can't control his emotions - hence a tantrum sounds like a perfectly reasonable description. You can call it what you like. I, and others it seems, are calling it a tantrum, whether there's video of it or not.

IMO this/he is the classic example of talent being held back by lack of intellect. Always thought that one day he would exhibit a higher level of maturity, but???

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Lol. OK. But f you didn't see it, how can you be so certain it wasn't a tantrum?

You are the one claiming that's what it was, and tossing obscenities at him behind your keyboard, knowing absolutely nothing about how he acted on any green except for the results - one picture and people saying he left shoe scrapes.

I don't have to be certain it wasn't, I'm not impugning his character and making accusations I can't back up.

Link up the proof or let it go.

I think he just did a Phil. Greens were awful, making a point, went about it totally the wrong way.

Yes, but they were awful for everyone. That's the point. Garcia wasn't being unfairly treated or singled-out by the fact he had to putt on them.

Not really, Phil did nothing to potentially put the groups behind him at a disadvantage

Do we know what Sergio did on the greens by way of damage and that he left it unprepared? Enlighten us.

Do we know what Sergio did on the greens by way of damage and that he left it unprepared? Enlighten us.

Someone up above showed the picture of a scrape on one of the greens that was unrepaired and that was the only visible damage I've seen yet that anyone photographed and is out there as evidence. Otherwise, what was done on other greens is described as scuffs from his golf shoes, whatever that means.

Lol. OK. But f you didn't see it, how can you be so certain it wasn't a tantrum?

You are the one claiming that's what it was, and tossing obscenities at him behind your keyboard, knowing absolutely nothing about how he acted on any green except for the results - one picture and people saying he left shoe scrapes.

I don't have to be certain it wasn't, I'm not impugning his character and making accusations I can't back up.

Link up the proof or let it go.

He was DQ'd for what he did to the greens, clearly it was more than just a few cleat marks.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Hawkeye, I'm not sure why you feel the need to defend Sergio on this matter. He was clearly out of line to the point where the ET gave him a DQ. If there was nothing to it you can rest assured that would not have happened. DQs are not handed out lightly. Even Sergio admitted he was wrong, immediately apologizing.

I'd give the benefit of the doubt to a petulant teenager that hasn't learned how to handle themselves, but not to a 40 year old professional.

Are we debating how bad the damage really was? We do know it was bad enough for the tour to notice it, for him to DQ'd and for him to admit doing it. These are things I have never heard happening before. So what are you trying to say exactly? Realistically, how much worse could you damage a green and not just be DQ'd on the spot? It's not like he's going to gouge out a piece of green with his wedge unless he basically is planning to walk off the course.

I've witnessed a grown man passionately argue that the earth is flat. It was incredibly entertaining. This thread is wading into those same waters.

It is!!

*kidding*

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

DQ/Fines are a hand slap......1 year ban from Euro Tour might, might wake him up.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

Multiple playing groups behind him complained, he was disqualified, he admitted fault, that is pretty damn telling. When was the last time a player was disqualified for such an act? Enlighten us.

DQ/Fines are a hand slap......1 year ban from Euro Tour might, might wake him up.

No way that the European Tour could even consider that. They need big names, Sergio is one of the biggest. His appearances in Europe may be few and far between but when they are, the Tour needs to make a big deal of them. The only thing banning him for a year would achieve is having him likely give up on the European Tour for a time beyond the ban.

If it were a shorter ban, thinking about it logically, when is he next likely to play a European Tour event that is strictly European Tour? I imagine it will be later in the year, a shorter ban would have little to no impact therefore, I can understand why the Tour hasn't taken the step to ban him.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Hawkeye, I'm not sure why you feel the need to defend Sergio on this matter. He was clearly out of line to the point where the ET gave him a DQ. If there was nothing to it you can rest assured that would not have happened. DQs are not handed out lightly. Even Sergio admitted he was wrong, immediately apologizing.

I'd give the benefit of the doubt to a petulant teenager that hasn't learned how to handle themselves, but not to a 40 year old professional.

I haven’t defended him and haven’t said there was nothing to it. I’ve never said he wasn’t out of line.

People want to have the same or different opinion about him after this I don’t care, I’m not advocating anything, that’s soneone’s personal opinion.

I’ve limited my remarks to what is known and assume the people that saw the damage felt a DQ, serious sanction, was warranted.

Just don’t think accusations and characterizations beyond the facts advance the discussion. Who knows if he scuffed a green in a fiery fit, or a just a sly wipe of his foot, or casual wipe of some perceived defect - the result is the same and inexcusable, but some folks seem to want to make it out like some explosive activity on every green and there is zero evidence to suggest it was like that.

Fair enough. I doubt any of us on this board know him. We can only base our opinions on the fact that he was DQ'd and that his fellow golfers spoke out against him. Also, he's put himself in a position to get this criticism due to his track record of immaturity over the years. Like some others have said, just when you think he's got it together, he pulls a stunt like this.

To determine whether or not said tour player had a tantrum, we need only apply the straight-face test:

Sergio did have a tantrum.

Sergio did not have a tantrum.

Whichever statement is most amusing must therefore be false.

See WRX? Very simple and straightforward... ;)

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Sergio's bunker antics was one of the most hilarious things I've seen in quite some time. His antics in that bunker just perpetuates what many people think about him. Do that and damage greens at a high school match and what would the coach do? Do that at a college match and what would any good coach do? Get benched.

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Apparently he also got annoyed when his driver wouldn't drive the car until he had prayed so he jumped in the front seat and drove himself to the golf club

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

No way that the European Tour could even consider that. They need big names, Sergio is one of the biggest. His appearances in Europe may be few and far between but when they are, the Tour needs to make a big deal of them. The only thing banning him for a year would achieve is having him likely give up on the European Tour for a time beyond the ban.

If it were a shorter ban, thinking about it logically, when is he next likely to play a European Tour event that is strictly European Tour? I imagine it will be later in the year, a shorter ban would have little to no impact therefore, I can understand why the Tour hasn't taken the step to ban him.

If they wanted to punish him, they'd make him play more European Tour tournaments and without an appearance fee.

Nick Faldo with his analysis...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/nick-faldo-imitates-sergio-garcias-temper-tantrum-continues-longtime-rift-between-two