How’s your golf going this year?

I'm really excited about my golf.

At age 34, after a 17 year break, I started playing again last summer, and quickly found myself playing to about a 14 handicap (around where I was when I stopped). My short game touch had decreased tremendously, but my long game and mental approach were much better than they'd ever been.

I also benefited from modern driver technology and bagging two hybrids. Wish hybrids had been big when I was a kid. I love em.

Anyhow, now that I'm playing tons of golf again, the short game is coming back, and my handicap is tumbling: 8.6 projected in the next revision. Best ever by a good margin, and I see a clear path to follow for that number to keep falling. I'm pumped!

I haven't played in ~3 years due to no one to play with, ACL/MCL surgery, and lack of motivation.

I finally picked up the clubs a month or so ago and I have been to the range 3-4 times so far. The last range session, something clicked. I bought a large bucket (~100 balls), I was hitting so well that I had 20-30 balls left and almost told myself to stop hitting and go do something else. I couldn't leave balls on the range.

I also have been putting and chipping around the house and at the range. I definitely feel I am making better contact in those areas. When I stopped playing golf, I was around a 7 handicap. I hope to get below a 5 this year if I can record enough rounds.

I hope to play my first actual 9 holes in 3 years on Friday or Saturday evening while the girlfriend tags along.

I also hope after I pay off these medical bills, I can look into new clubs as my current set in my bag are 6+ years old.

TM 9.5° SLDR Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec - 6 years old
Mizuno MP-H4's S300 - 6 years old
Ping i20 15° Black Project X 6.0 - 7 years old
Scott Cameron Del Mar

Subbed in a 9-hole league twice, shot 40 and 38. Played first 18 hole round Sunday 4/28. Cool, wet, windy with temps in low 50s. Went 40-37 from the blue tees. I'll take it. Irons have been on. Short game not letting me down. T balls have been inconsistent, which was a strength for me in 2018. Hope that comes around. Playing again 5/6/19.

Get well OP!

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Finally got 2 rounds in. They were a tad rough, 97 and 89 but finally got some swings in! I did hammer the cup from 140 out and nearly holed out for eagle on a par 4, so already have one shot that is preventing me from selling my clubs! (I did make the putt after it popped out of the hole)

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

> @platgof said:

> Bi polar x wife, sounds like Steven King material. Like others the shoulders are killing me, and trying to work that out. I need some grass to start growing, I mean it is already April? Changing clubs looking for the elixir of youth, bah ha! Lost some moolah to my golf buds, and not happy. I did have a good round the last time, so things are looking up. Positive was the driver, amazing. Got rid of the outside in swing, and really good, no more pull hooks. Irons are doing a lot better, as I added some lead tape and the P790's are behaving. Love my putter, love it.

Sorry to hear about your X wife. I have a friend who is dealing with that. Not that it is always a woman problem my X wife married a Bi Polar man. She didn't know at the time she was going from a 5 on a scale of 10 to a 1. good attitude.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Well if there was a league to play on or in water I think I'd make some money. Other than that just getting reps in and waiting for things to dry.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Played 23 times in Arizona Jan-Mar. Played pretty well shot 75 which is my age once. Back to central Illinois in April...3 soggy wet, windy and chilly less than 18 hole rounds 2 full rounds under same conditions. Totally rained out this week. Rain forecasted for most of the next 10 days. Tough start weather wise.

Murv

Horrible lately. I am really struggling with the irons, and losing lots of moolah on Saturdays. I am thinking of going back to playing nine until my game comes back. Positives are the driver and woods, really good there. Hybrids are okay, but the irons; arghhhh!

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

CNY golfer here. Worked hard over the off season on keeping rust off and hit the ball well indoors. Currently a 3.6 GHIN, started off on an easy course and shot 79. Same course a week later, 81. Then played a tougher course a week later, played worse but scored, 81. All days, hitting the ball AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL.

First week of league last Thursday, 34 and hit the ball great. I hate golf.

I like golf. A lot.

> @Murv said:

> Played 23 times in Arizona Jan-Mar. Played pretty well shot 75 which is my age once. Back to central Illinois in April...3 soggy wet, windy and chilly less than 18 hole rounds 2 full rounds under same conditions. Totally rained out this week. Rain forecasted for most of the next 10 days. Tough start weather wise.

>

> Murv

Murv, I too am a central Illinois golfer. My friends from Florida are back and they are saying the same thing. Raining a lot.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

> @NoTalentLefty said:

> > @Murv said:

> > Played 23 times in Arizona Jan-Mar. Played pretty well shot 75 which is my age once. Back to central Illinois in April...3 soggy wet, windy and chilly less than 18 hole rounds 2 full rounds under same conditions. Totally rained out this week. Rain forecasted for most of the next 10 days. Tough start weather wise.

> >

> > Murv

> Murv, I too am a central Illinois golfer. My friends from Florida are back and they are saying the same thing. Raining a lot.

Sadly same problem in Chicago as well ... we even had snow last weekend! Golf league starts up May 15th and I hope I can get at least 1 round in before then.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Yesterday was my first round of the year. I couldn't have been more excited. As stupid as it sounds I had forgotten how hard Golf is haha. I had been off work for 2 months and have watched a TON of Golf due to that haha. I had forgotten that you don't just chip/pitch to 2 feet every time you take your time and really look at where you want to place your ball on the green or how its actually very likely I'm going to miss a putt 10 feet or more.

Round 1 finished with a birdie and 6 pars though which was nice but far more bad shots than good. I had bought a new Driver and 3 wood in the offseason so it was fun to let those rip. I've got a lot of work to do but it was really nice to be out on the course again...a place where I can turn off the rest of my brain and just focus on being outside and playing Golf.

• Like 1

I have a couple rounds in with some newly purchased old Mizuno MP 60s and loving them. Driver and short game coming around also. Shot my lowest score since Dec. last week. Looking forward to Sat.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

I decided to play just for fun, as playing for money is just to nerve racking for me. Maybe I would play for money "if" my game improved a lot, not now. I was able to have a lot of fun today, shot a decent score, and the shock was the irons came around. I mean really good shots with the irons/wedges and not expecting that at all. I was also walking and pushing my trolley and that was very relaxing. From now on I will stick to this until things improve.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Glad to read this thread and thanks to the OP for posting. Very sorry to hear about your situation OP. I am in a miniature version of you are going through: had rotator cuff repair surgery Wednesday before the Masters. Made for a great Masters viewing week (no work, laid up on a couch and not expected to do anything). But now I’m told I have ~5 months of rehab ahead, before I get my range of motion back. Pining for my first round, but expecting it will be October before it happens.

Anyone had this surgery? How long did it take to get back on the course?

WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS, stock stiff, 9*
3 wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max, stock stiff, 15*,
Hybrid: Callaway XR Pro stock pro stiff 18*
Irons: Callaway Apex (2014) 4-AW, KBS Tour-V 110 S
Wedges: Mizuno MP-T 56*; Callaway X Series Jaws 60*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

Very well in that my golf swing is like a practice swing. No longer hitting at a ball, simply swinging easily back and through, tension free and focusing on the target. Secondly I worked before the season on a better grip of the club, using it now and much better results.

Here's a couple of videos that might help someone get their year started off right...

Swing don't hit

Better golf grip

After what was a very loooong winter in NY I have finally been able to get outside for some golf and the results have been much better than normal for early in the year. Three 18-hole rounds of 77, 79, and 85 have me very pleased with where my game is at right now considering I have a lot of things that could be improved upon. I credit this good start to the fact that I work at a college that has 2 HD Golf simulators that I can use for free. Definitely helps keep the swing up during these brutal NY winters!

> @"Big Ben" said:

> Wet, very wet with no end in sight.

Rain only seems to show up when I have plans to play. I'm at the point where I should probably market my services to drought stricken areas. Fly me in and schedule me a round at a nice course in your area, and I can pretty guarantee you a nice thunderstorm.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

doing very well. iron striking and wedge game has never been better. holed out from 130 on Sunday for an eagle during our Cinco de Mayo shootout. unfortunately got rained out in yesterday's scramble.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Good, on the whole.

Have been working on my putting on my carpet at home and have settled into a 78-83 pattern. Not too bad considering I’ve only been playing for a couple of years after a 20 year hiatus.

Determined to get down to single figures by the end of the year, so putting was first, just take a couple of putts every time I go into the kitchen into a small mug 6’ away. Have been doing this for a month with a new forward-press Stroke and it’s already massively improved my scores. Went to the range today and hit 120 wedge shots, tried the Seve method of lowering the shaft and it worked, as well as some open-faced flops with my 58 and 64.

Just bought two new shafts for my driver and will spend some range time on trying these out, as well as investing in four new putters of different types and toe-hangs. Playing them alternately in rotation and will sell on the ones that perform the worst in a few months.

76 last Friday, and playing again tomorrow. Easy course tbh though, greens are all pretty flat and it’s not too long at 5500y off the yellows. Still...

Played 9 holes yesterday. 47 degrees, misting rain and wind in from the ocean (Lake Michigan :-) here in Chicago. Hit the ball pretty well but cold and damp meant no roll and at least 1 club shorter. Greens were faster than they looked, a point I finally realized as I was driving home from the course. League play starts next week so I'm hoping weather and my golf game both improve at the same time.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag