2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How’s your golf going this year?

> @Showtime9 said:

> Only a couple of full 18 holes mixed in with some 9 hole rounds after work. I write the Chartered Financial Analysis exam (level III) on the 15th of June and hopefully the last time I am doing that. After that, I am a free man

Good luck with CFA Exam - that's one tough certification to earn!!

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

> @rwc356 said:

> > @Showtime9 said:

> > Only a couple of full 18 holes mixed in with some 9 hole rounds after work. I write the Chartered Financial Analysis exam (level III) on the 15th of June and hopefully the last time I am doing that. After that, I am a free man

>

> Good luck with CFA Exam - that's one tough certification to earn!!

Thanks much appreciated!

How's my golf going this year? The weather in southern New England has been awful. We've had so much rain dumped on our golf courses that plugged tee balls are the norm. We're losing balls in the fairway! Wet, soggy conditions have ruined two pairs of golf shoes and increased my dry-cleaning bill. That said, I've managed to squeeze in 31-rounds. My handicap has gone up a stroke and a half, primarily due to the courses playing longer and the greens speed being so inconsistent (mostly very slow putting surfaces). That said, I love this game!

Note: I had my yearly physical this morning and the doctor told me to play more golf. It'll help me lower my blood pressure! :-)

Scored my best in Florida right at the beginning of the year. Haven't really posted a decent score so far this spring. Got new sticks so I am still trying to adjust to distances, taking different lines, etc. Hoping to get into the swing as we hit summer. Had probably 8-10 rounds so far this year which is a lot for me at this point in the season.

• Like 1

Surprisingly well considering I can't hit my irons at all. Getting off the tee really well, have increased my fairway % from around 50 to 63. But my GIR % has actually gone down slightly (see note about poor iron shots). Wedges are pretty solid as are the hybrids. With more missed greens, my short game is pretty good and I've always been a pretty decent putter. But that gap from about 120 yds - 190 or so is tough to overcome. I think I know what the problem is now, just have to figure out how to take it from the range to the course.

Had a 299 yard bomb today and my driving average was over 280. I haven’t sniffed 300 in 6 years. I wanted to walk my GPS one more yard, but there would have been no truth or honor in it. Maybe I’ll get it next week.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Update after last week's meltdown on 16 - It was our Captains' Day tournament so one of the biggest tournaments at our club and certainly the largest number of players in our golfing calendar. 189 entrants in yesterday's tournament. I didn't take 11 on 16 this week, carded a level par gross, 64 nett (8hcp) with 4 birdies and 4 bogeys. I ended up winning the tournament. Handicap down to 6.6 from 8.0.

> @iutodd said:

> Haven’t scored well yet - all the courses around here have aerated greens - my short game is still coming together too - got new wedges this year and I’m still figuring things out. Need a few buckets of balls.

>

> I got fit as a Christmas gift. I can’t recommend it enough - especially the driver. Having a driver that fits me is a revelation - I can swing freely and know that what’s going to happen is a good thing. And I know what my ideal swing is now...I tend to jump around swing thoughts and now I know what my swing and my clubs can do when I just trust my swing.

>

> Hit 6/9 greens today. If I keep that up I should start scoring once the greens around here are decent.

Played 18 yesterday. Shot 81. Had 7 straight pars at one point in the middle of the round - a record for me. 3 swings really cost me and I missed a 30” putt. I felt like I could have shot 75 today. I’ve only broken 80 once - I needed a birdie on 18 to do it again. Instead I bogeyed for an 81. 3 lip outs too. What might have been!

But I’m really happy with where my game is at. I hit some high quality shots today and my driver has completely clicked. If I can keep playing I feel like I’ll break 80 again soon.

Shot my lowest score last night... +2

No big misses off the tee

7/9 GIR

2 birdie putts lipped

• Like 1

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Way too stop and starty for my liking.

Broken ribs, trapped nerve in my elbow and a bad back combined with the wettest May in 70 years in Scotland and it has meant that I have played nowhere near enough golf.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Living where our golf season is only six months long (May - October), it takes a while to get the rust off. My course handicap climbed two strokes in May (went from 14 to 16), but I'm trending back down again. I play in two shifts of 9-hole couples' leagues on Tuesdays. Had a good (for me) first round yesterday. Started triple, double, so was five over after two holes. I was able to stay positive and finished seven over par. Happy with that after such a poor start. In the second shift, I shot four over. Ended with a double and a bogey. So except for the first two holes of the first shift, and the last two holes of the second shift, I was pleased with my play. Two birdies, 7 pars, 6 bogeys, 2 doubles and a triple. Net score for combined rounds, -5.

Just had my "round of the year"... so it's likely down hill from here. I'm writing down some notes from my last round in hopes that I can repeat it and build on the positives.

Summer golf here (Texas) is very different from spring golf, so I'm glad I was able to get a good score in while the courses were still holding a little moisture. For the next few months distance is much easier, but short game is much harder so it's tough to score.

• Like 1

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

My golf story has started but not on the course. Watching Manuel De La Torre DVD and waiting on his book from Amazon. My original is misplaced. Been a good day for that though the pain of the hip replacement is a reminder I need some time to swing a club again. Start my first rehab session tomorrow. Keep up your posts, I do read them honestly. I don't think my golf buddies would love this forum so its like meeting fellow golf geeks.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I had a break through- First mens night of the year, final hole, ball behind tree group guarding the green. I know I can't hit it over or through...try to hit it through...struck tree, came flying back at my head, ducked just in time.

I am finally remembering to stop trying the hero shot.

Over 18 holes its often 2-3 shots. Punching out/laying up...will save me strokes and mental anguish. Hitting water or trees adds strokes to my game

Pretty good. I had a heart attack last October, but I feel fully recovered, although the recent heat kicked my butt. I got an electric walking cart, and that's been great. I switched to graphite shafts in my irons, and it's helped with a bit of arthritis in my hands, but the jury is still out. I might trade them in If I got a good deal. Over all, I'm just thrilled to death to be back playing. I'm getting a bit grumpy if I don't play well, and I see that as a good thing.

> @WhereIsDetroit said:

> I'm quite frustrated. Ended last year at 4.4 handicap for my league but I'm more of a realistic 9 handicap. This year I am two clubs short with my irons, driver seems normal or slightly shorter. Needless to say my approaches have been awful so I've been shooting like I have no idea what I'm doing.

Time for a second set of eyes?

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Course conditions are still struggling from the amount of rain we've been getting here. So many courses are still extremely soft giving zero roll on majority of shots, very wet just making some shots very hard and very shaggy meaning lost balls just off the fairway when they should be found.

With that said I've been working on my course management, trying to set up better shots, smarter shots, better misses etc. It's going fairly well on that part so just have to keep it up.

Also recently I've had a bit of an "ah-ha" moment with my swing feeling certain things. I'm working it into my swing more and I'm seeing the difference, but when I get tired or frustrated or just not thinking it goes out the window. So I just need to continue the progress and make the feeling stick.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Just went out to play for the first time. Just played nine holes and shot a 50. Decided to just abandon my driver and shoot my 5 wood (which is an old club that IS a wood) so I was ending up in the fairway and out of trouble. My short game, especially pitching/chipping doomed me. Had a putt on the last hole, a par 5, for birdie for a 49 and it was one rotation from going in. However, I haven't played in more than 12 months so I'm happy with it.

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @WhereIsDetroit said:

> > I'm quite frustrated. Ended last year at 4.4 handicap for my league but I'm more of a realistic 9 handicap. This year I am two clubs short with my irons, driver seems normal or slightly shorter. Needless to say my approaches have been awful so I've been shooting like I have no idea what I'm doing.

>

> Time for a second set of eyes?

I had lessons when I was a little brat. Im thinking they would benefit me greatly at this point.

• Like 1

This year has gone a lot better than expected so far, although there’s still a lot of work required on my game, especially from bunkers atm.

I’ve gone from a handicap of 12 this time last year, to a brief visit to Category 1, (5.3) but I’m now back to 6, (5.5).

Until my Birthday in June last year, I’d never had an Eagle. Now I’ve had 4, including my first ever hole in one, back in April.

Currently I’m just having one of those spells where the confidence has dipped and I’m just not feeling it. Hopefully this will pass ASAP, so I can start to feel like I deserve to be where my handicap is.

Roll on the Summer! (If it ever comes to the South of England)

Trending to a 4.4 index. I thought the season was going pretty well. Then I played in an Invitational qualifier yesterday littered with current and former collegiate players. I just couldn't get the round over with fast enough. 6,800 yard, par-70 Pete Dye designed private track ate my breakfast, lunch and dinner! But, I didn't WD, I came home with all 14 clubs, and I learned some valuable lessons.

Golf is a mental game... Onto the next one.

• Like 1

Taylormade M1 9.5°  |  Speeder 661

Ping G 14.5°  |  Aldila NV 75

Titleist T-MB 21°  |  S400

PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW  |  Elevate Tour X100

Callaway MD Forged  |  Recoil 125

Taylormade  |  Spider Tour Black

Ups and downs. Horrible weather so far and high expectations after putting in a ton of time on my simulator this winter. Handicap went down then back up but shot a 73 which is my lowest round by 3 strokes at my home course. Played some competitive events and am learning how to play under pressure. Golf is hard but I feel like I am moving in the right direction. Played 9 this morning and shot 3 under. Its close

Gone from the game for several decades and have discovered several things: from metal to soft-, to no spike shoes; iron sets without 3, 4, and 5 irons and 5 to PW on steroids; drivers with heads that come with zipcodes; covers for putters; and golf balls designed - and annually revised - for left-handed, dog-lovin', high-handicappers who like jazz and play on Tuesdays and occasionally on Friday's after lunch but would never wear a white belt. The market segmentation and customization is remarkable. And no that person was not filming with that thing in his hand: scoped it to x and then hit it to x-25+ yards to the right ... along the ground. I see consistency has pretty much stayed the same for most, however.

Talk of spin rates, AoA, launch angle, strokes gained, tip sizes, MOI, and such now augment our education in geometry that was the staple of golf magazines of the past. The good news is that golf is turning most of us into physicists - it can't hurt - yet I still don't know what to do with the protractor and compass I carry in my bag other than stick the protractor point in my side when I hit a 7 iron 150 yards to see if I am dreaming. The compass helps me get around the course, except when I need to go south. But I digress.

Was fitted with clubs to exercise my old bones and the current tallying of strokes is keeping my mind fresh(er), too, and my friends amused. Me, too, but glad to be back.

Charting my journey, making notes and experiencing improvements here and there from time to time, and am thankful for every outlier, defined, of course, as a golf shot of note and almost of note. Handicap is still high, but the fun of practicin' and playin' and schemin' to bring it down is it's own reward and any change is a double plus for different reasons.

But all has not changed, for example, there is still great value in cold beer and iced-tea, conversations with friends and new friends along the way and around the green on the 19th hole where we laugh about self (even if sometimes after a moment of indiscretion) and praise others and are praised by others (if only for incremental improvement or for keeping it together on the days the golf gods have heart-burn), and absent said witnesses give fishermen a run for their money on discerning and pronouncing the truth of past course exploits.

It's a great game played by great people and I am glad to once again be a part of it and them.

Golf this year total opposite to last year which was the worst year ever I can remember, September last year I said the year is done I'm going to start working on next year and just play this year out. Been putting in a lot of work, had a couple of lessons with a young guy who listens to what I'm saying and gives me simple things to try and do and work on, just one or two things and I've been focusing on them in practice and play, one good thing is now I really know when I haven't done it and refocus, so far this year has been really good, Jan 2 this year my index was 9.3, now it's 5.8, also a few months ago I tweaked my putting stroke and have been really focusing on it, putting has improved a good amount and I think that is also a big contributor to better scoring for me.

I'm playing the best golf of my short 3 year career lol ! I have gone from struggling to break 100 last year, to consistently being in the low 90's. I shot my best score a couple weeks ago, a solid 90, and I left strokes out there. I'm driving the ball further and straighter. I've gone from hitting 1-2 GIR per round to about 5-6 and averaging 1 birdie per round my last 5 rounds. Things are heading in the right direction. The game has changed alot for me, the courses appear different. I see why bunkers and pins are in certain spots. I have options and challenges I didn't really have before. It's been much more fun. Hard work pays off.

Callaway (OG) Rogue SZ

TS2 Fairways

JPX 919 Tour (4-PW)

RTX4's 50, 56

BETTI QB6