Let's Talk About the M5 Tour Driver

GoIrish17

So, I really like a smaller head with a deeper face. Aesthetically, it's exactly what I like in a driver. Maybe I am mistaken, but I feel like I've seen maybe 1-2 tour guys playing the smaller head M5 Tour, which surprises me (though Justin Rose departing TaylorMade definitely delivers a hit there).

So, why aren't more tour pros playing the M5 Tour driver? And for those amateurs who do, let's discuss forgiveness vs. spin and launch on the smaller M5 head. I am currently trying to explain to myself why a guy that bounces between 7-9 handicap doesn't need the smaller, less forgiving head... even if they do look so much better standing over it.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Curious, what tour players put it in play?

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x

I think you play the smaller head if you really need the extreme spin correction and you are middling the club face every time. With the 460 M5, you can drop the spin to very low levels - as low as anything else out there - so there isn't the need to go to the smaller head for spin reduction.

Also - my 460 M5 looks significantly smaller over the ball than my previous 2016 M2 I gamed - despite both having the same volume. If you haven't tried the 460 version, at least give it a try before ruling it out.

• Like 1

I was one who traditionally liked going to a high loft with the smaller M variant to get a specific launch and spin window. m1 430 loved it, m1 440 loved it, m3 440, I thought was the best smaller head offering TM has put out. If you look at the m3 440 closely, it looks as if the face size is very similar to the m3 460 with just the reduction in cc's coming from chopping off the back of the club.

The m5 tour has a noticeably smaller face than the 460. On center to high center strikes it was magical, but anywhere else was rough. So much so that I ended up going with the m5 460 in a lower loft head and got the window I was looking for.

Typically, I go back and forth between standard and smaller headed TM drivers, but this year, I have no interest in trying the 435 again.

Not conclusive but just my opinion.

• Like 2

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

A friend of mine who knows Rory personally actually asked him about this during a practice round. The long and the short of it is that Rory says he (and other tour players) can achieve optimal launch and spin conditions with a 460 head so at that point there's no reason to give up any distance or forgiveness going to a smaller head.

• Like 3

> @GoIrish17 said:

> So, I really like a smaller head with a deeper face. Aesthetically, it's exactly what I like in a driver. Maybe I am mistaken, but I feel like I've seen maybe 1-2 tour guys playing the smaller head M5 Tour, which surprises me (though Justin Rose departing TaylorMade definitely delivers a hit there).

>

> So, why aren't more tour pros playing the M5 Tour driver? And for those amateurs who do, let's discuss forgiveness vs. spin and launch on the smaller M5 head. I am currently trying to explain to myself why a guy that bounces between 7-9 handicap doesn't need the smaller, less forgiving head... even if they do look so much better standing over it.

Its pretty simple. They make money playing golf, why play something that is less forgiving and cost them $$? Working a driver is really a thing of the past. They all pick a flight and just hit it these days.

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I have the m5 tour but have not had a chance to hit it at all. Simulator season is over and the weather in the Toronto area is terrible.

I will say this. It is beautifully compact, the best shape of any major Oem since the razor fit xtreme. Finally!

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5. @ 45.5”

Driver Shafts: Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX & MCA Kai’Li White 70X

Mizuno ST Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.5 @ 45.25”
ON ORDER: Mizuno ST Max 230 15.0 Mitsubishi Rayon Kai’Li Blue 70X

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 19.0 @ 17.0 UST Lin-Q Blue 75 F5

ON ORDER: Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S & 58/4X Nippon Modus Pro 120X

🤔 Titleist Vokey SM9 60 K Grind 

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

> @BM5D said:

> A friend of mine who knows Rory personally actually asked him about this during a practice round. The long and the short of it is that Rory says he (and other tour players) can achieve optimal launch and spin conditions with a 460 head so at that point there's no reason to give up any distance or forgiveness going to a smaller head.

This is exactly what I was thinking would be the case. It used to be that the bigger heads were more forgiving but higher spinning and the smaller heads could achieve more optimum launch conditions at the expense of some forgiveness. Now the bigger heads and newer shaft tech allow for exactly what you said, so why compromise? There was also probably the fact that the generation that grew up playing much smaller heads is aging out and the 20-somethings that are pros today as well as coming up currently likely grew up with the bigger heads, so there is no "comfort zone" associated with the smaller head size.

I love my M1 430 but a forgiving driver it is NOT. If my livelihood depended on my golf game I would not likely be gaming it.

• Like 2

Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX  // Titleist TSi3 9* Kuro Kage 70XTS
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X  // Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x
Taylormade M5 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 8TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M-AX 85TX 
Srixon ZX Utility MKII  20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X // PING iBlade 3i HZRDUS Red 105X
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Anymore reviews? Just got my M5 tour in but it’s raining, may get to hit a few tomorrow, going against my trusty M1 440 gamer.

TaylorMade M5 Tour 10.5  w/ Graphite Design MJ 5
TaylorMade M6 14 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Blue 70
PXG 0317X 17 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90
PXG 0311T 3-PW w/ KBS TGI 100
PXG 0311 Milled 54/60 w/ Black Onyx DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron 009
Bridgestone Tour B X 

> @TLfan said:

> Anymore reviews? Just got my M5 tour in but it’s raining, may get to hit a few tomorrow, going against my trusty M1 440 gamer.

I’ve hit my buddy’s m5 tour. My gamer is a M1 440. I liked it. My only complaint is that it likes to flop open when you set it down. Other than that, I’d game it. The shape reminds me of a 975d...very confidence inspiring to me. Sound/feel are very muted.

TaylorMade Qi10 9* hzrdus black

PXG 0311 g5 3 wood hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

> @bogeypro said:

> > @TLfan said:

> > Anymore reviews? Just got my M5 tour in but it’s raining, may get to hit a few tomorrow, going against my trusty M1 440 gamer.

>

> I’ve hit my buddy’s m5 tour. My gamer is a M1 440. I liked it. My only complaint is that it likes to flop open when you set it down. Other than that, I’d game it. The shape reminds me of a 975d...very confidence inspiring to me. Sound/feel are very muted.

>

Yea I put in my gamer shaft and it laid way open, moved it one notch towards higher and it looks a lot better lol, but yes the head looks great for us that prefer a more compact look, I find the M1 440 forgiving, hopefully this is the same and not some low spin monster a mere mortal can’t get off the ground. I’ve hit the 460 M5 and liked the feel and sound so hopefully this is it in a smaller version yet somewhat still a hair forgiving and not to super low spin.

Scotty Cameron 009
Bridgestone Tour B X 

> @Valtiel said:

> > @BM5D said:

> > A friend of mine who knows Rory personally actually asked him about this during a practice round. The long and the short of it is that Rory says he (and other tour players) can achieve optimal launch and spin conditions with a 460 head so at that point there's no reason to give up any distance or forgiveness going to a smaller head.

>

> This is exactly what I was thinking would be the case. It used to be that the bigger heads were more forgiving but higher spinning and the smaller heads could achieve more optimum launch conditions at the expense of some forgiveness. Now the bigger heads and newer shaft tech allow for exactly what you said, so why compromise? There was also probably the fact that the generation that grew up playing much smaller heads is aging out and the 20-somethings that are pros today as well as coming up currently likely grew up with the bigger heads, so there is no "comfort zone" associated with the smaller head size.

>

> I love my M1 430 but a forgiving driver it is NOT. If my livelihood depended on my golf game I would not likely be gaming it.

THIS!!

I have hit both and even though I grew up with smaller heads ( I'm 32 ) and LOVE the look of them, for the amount I play now I need the forgiveness - thats coming from a 3-5 handicap. I want the bigger face and all the MOI I can get and considering what PGA tour pros play for and the fact that many at the top are already a decade younger than me ( weird to think about that ) its easy to see why the larger heads are popular.

BUT AGAIN...

For those players needing extreme spin control the Tour M5 is going to be a much better version for that player and thats why they continue to have an offering like this is the line up.

So I chuckle because there is a lot of people out there who struggle to hit a 460 head, and that is why the smaller headed option needs to be available. I get stuck on the larger heads, they are harder to square at impact.

• Like 1

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

> @Lemonde said:

> So I chuckle because there is a lot of people out there who struggle to hit a 460 head, and that is why the smaller headed option needs to be available. I get stuck on the larger heads, they are harder to square at impact.

That’s me!! I hit the smaller heads better. I hammer my 3 wood. I just prefer the smaller look and feel.

TaylorMade Qi10 9* hzrdus black

PXG 0311 g5 3 wood hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Just got fit and tried the m5 tour. The main reason behind it is actually to make the club an anti overdraw club. To achieve the 435cc they shaved off the heel on the m5 and so the head looks like it has a big toe. The pga tour players also hate to see the ball go left but most don't need the extreme anti draw help the tour head provides

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

> @Lemonde said:

> So I chuckle because there is a lot of people out there who struggle to hit a 460 head, and that is why the smaller headed option needs to be available. I get stuck on the larger heads, they are harder to square at impact.

I’ve been fitted 4 times by tmag for the m5s. Each time they started me off with a m5 tour with a HZRDUS yellow 70g 6.5 x flex. My experience is that a way too much club and had higher spin than the m5. I’ve become to accustomed to 460 heads.

Same head setup 8.25” in an m5 with a hzrdus smoke black 6.5 80g gets me 14.5 deg launch with 2200 spin. In the tour I was getting 15.5 launch with 2500 spin. My settings are both weights in the front low position. Funny thing is moving the 2nd weight back just 2 positions makes a world of difference. Can’t believe how much the weights work now In this generation drivers. It was also not forgiving, I had a hard time squaring it, one of the few drivers I actually hit a fade with, but missed are blocky style shots. I bought the m5 today from Dicks in hopes of Rory winning the pgatour.

We’ll see how will it works tomorrow as I’m putting in play for our Sunday money match.

For some reason I just seem to hit smaller headed drivers better than the 460 versions. Played the m1 440 & it was way more consistent than the 460 for me. Currently playing the g400 lst which is 445cc and have the m5 tour on order. Everytime I go to buy a driver I have full intentions of buying the 460 but always end up with the smaller head. One of these days I will just buy the 460 & give it a good trial on the course

Loving this driver so far but haven’t sold the M1 440 yet, 2 rounds in and so far it’s staying in the bag, numbers are good and it’s accurate with a great feel.

Scotty Cameron 009
Bridgestone Tour B X 

I fought the right side a little with my M3 460. Had to work a little harder to hit a draw than I was used to with that club. Enter the M5 Tour and all is well now! Much easier to square for me. An added bonus is that this driver head shape looks very much like the original Nike VR Tour driver, which was my favorite head shapes ever. Win-win

Finally got a chance to hit this at the range. Very easy to elevate, great feel and quite forgiving. I'm playing it with the stock shaft for now and will see how it goes. Again best looking shape since the razr fit xtreme

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

> @BM5D said:

> A friend of mine who knows Rory personally actually asked him about this during a practice round. The long and the short of it is that Rory says he (and other tour players) can achieve optimal launch and spin conditions with a 460 head so at that point there's no reason to give up any distance or forgiveness going to a smaller head.

But what does Rory like on his pizza? I think we can all agree on that hard hitting subject.

I was fitted to the M5 Tour, PX HZRDUS Black 75, 6.5 set at 7* playing 44” long, absolutely love this driver. I had my first round with it yesterday, only 7 holes to get adjusted to it with no range session. Previous driver was an R15 430, set at 7.5* 43.5” with an NVentix Nunchuk, which was a point and shoot 280 yard setup. I like a smaller driver head at address, no issue finding the screws with it being 44” long. My biggest improvement with my new setup is my angle of descent, had to bring that down below 37 degrees, and this new setup checked that box.

I had an m1 440 when it first came out. Couldn’t elevate it for the life of me. This m5 tour is so easy to elevate its a joke. The beauty of this head is that I can now look at potential low low shaft configurations while keeping a 13 to 15 launch window.

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

One of the local course had TM on site yesterday. Really didn’t have any intent to hit anything but as a true WRX’er had them put the M5 Tour on my KKXD shaft. Results were shocking to me in a good way. All the numbers were very good and dispersion was really good. Launch average was 14* spin at 1900 dispersion was great and smash was 1.48 - 1.50. Never thought it would be as good for me as it was but come Wednesday I will have one in the bag

> @manima1 said:

> I think you play the smaller head if you really need the extreme spin correction and you are middling the club face every time. With the 460 M5, you can drop the spin to very low levels - as low as anything else out there - so there isn't the need to go to the smaller head for spin reduction.

>

> Also - my 460 M5 looks significantly smaller over the ball than my previous 2016 M2 I gamed - despite both having the same volume. If you haven't tried the 460 version, at least give it a try before ruling it out.

I agree with the look. Took a flyer and purchased the M5 (460) last week and the first thing I noticed was how much more compact/sleek the M5 looks compared to the '17 M1 (460). I've contemplated going to a smaller head the past year, but have never pulled the trigger re "needing forgiveness." Since getting the M5, the thought of going smaller has subsided (for now).

Paradym TD S 10.5o - Atmos Blk TS 6-x

Stealth 2+ 4w - Pro 73 TS-x

Ts2 7w - D+ Ltd 80-x

714 AP2 4-9 - x100

Glide 4.0 50- PX 6.5

Vokey 46oF, 54oS, 60oV - x100/PX 6.5

SC CC 2.5+/AI One DW

I hate the look of it at address the way the paint rolls over onto the face.

It's also TINY in all dimension IMO & I always have played the smaller M Heads.

The M5 460 is simple perfection IMO......the Tour head is an absolutely FLOP in 2019.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG2TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & MG2 Hi Toe 60/10 KBS HiRev 120
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

> @ignitewvu said:

> I hate the look of it at address the way the paint rolls over onto the face.

> It's also TINY in all dimension IMO & I always have played the smaller M Heads.

> The M5 460 is simple perfection IMO......the Tour head is an absolutely FLOP in 2019.

You should work on hitting the center more then, just kidding, but to call it an absolute FLOP is absurd.

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron 009
Bridgestone Tour B X