2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

The new Titleist bag is now the 'Players 4 StaDry' instead of the '4UP StaDry'.

I have both and think they are an excellent choice for a light carry bag with a stand, that is also waterproof. Whichever one you can find new in a colour you like, take either and you'll be grand.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Last year was a “special” year... my group had the best of the best waterproof gear and we were all soaked at the end of the day(s). Remember the streams flowing across the greens ?... first time in 12 years for me.

I seriously hope we don’t have that situation again this year! We’re there the last week of Feb this.

Wet at times, but always a great time!

Ouul make a very good waterproof bag. I got an all black Python last season on clearance for $52 shipped. It weighs 2.7 lbs and the waterproofing was spot on in whistling straits last Oct. it might be the $52 I ever spent on a piece of golf gear.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I’ve never used a waterproof bag. Not sure how they stop water from going down the openings for clubs. I just deal with it. This is one reason I love the Lily Pond rooms, you can lay or arrange your clubs, bag, shoes, clothes and hat in front of the fireplace and have them dry in 1-2 hours. Doing it in the lodge or Inn takes 3/4 hours because of just using the little space heater.

The bag cover for the 4up is designed so that water has to basically travel up in order to get into the club cavity. While this is something that actually can happen at Bandon, the purpose of the waterproof-ness isn't necessarily for the clubs, it's for everything else in the bag. Just hitting a shot with wet rain gloves is going to get the grips wet. It's impossible to keep grips dry in a heavy downpour with wind. Rain gloves make it so you don't need to try.

As for the rain gear we are wearing, water is very crafty (especially when blown horizontally) and will find all those little places that are not well sealed/covered. The space between pantleg and shoe, for one. Another is the space between the collar and neck. Water entering those two places can soak you in a short period of time.

The kind of weather possible at Bandon can make how much you get wet a matter of management, not prevention.

And yeah, the standard procedure after one of "those days" when staying in the lodge is to strip out of the wet gear, hang it in the bath, set up the shoe dryer, pull all the clubs out and set the bag next to the room heater. By the time the hot tub and dinner are done, everything is usually pretty well dried out. It's part of the charm...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

reminds me of my worst "howler" story from a trip in March 2017 where it absolutely poured on us, mostly from a sideways direction. It was day of departure so we were already checked out. We played Pacific in the morning and were slated to drive back to Portland immediately following our round. I had less than adequate rain gear and everything was soaked. This is where I first discovered the downstairs locker room at the lodge (highly recommend). Luckily I was able to get dry but my gear stayed pretty much soaked until I got back to Texas the following morning. My club glove was making squishing noises when I checked it in with Alaska and I destroyed a carbon steel Scotty I was gaming at the time. Spud3's advice is solid, you need really good rain gear for Bandon, especially if traveling Feb-May.

Ordered a 2019 StaDry.

My old bag is a very old Izzo bag. It's one of those small lightweight bag that I keep going back to even though I have others to use. Had an Ogio that lasted about year due to the crappy legs. Have a TM RBZ2 sitting in the garage. It's too big for my test. Also have a SM 14 way that I barely used. I just love the way the clubs sit when I walk and it also feels very comfortable. Tried spraying last year but it was useless as the fabric was thinning out in a lot of areas so the spray didnt hold.

Since this StaDry is less pretty light at less than 4lbs, I may end up using it as my everyday bag. That Izzo's time is up.

Good stuff :-)

I use my Players 4 as my day-to-day bag, whether carrying or on my Clicgear. The hard plastic base means it sits real sturdy on it.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

re: bags. Im already thinking about which of my bags to bring in October. I have an old Ping hoofer-type with the two separate straps, which is light and I figure is preferable for a caddie carrying 2, but not waterproof. I'm thinking about bringing that instead of my daily player, which is a Cally Aqua-dry which, while waterproof, is a shade heavier (dry) but has the single, dual-strap system (does that even make sense) that caddies seem to struggle with. Thoughts from the crowd?

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Given this is the Random thread... just trying to sort out some logistics for a possibly trip next February and wanted to check something with the experts of all things Bandon before committing.

On our last day, we have the option of a 16:46 AA flight from Eugene to LAX or a 18:28 AA flight from Portland to LAX, where we will be connecting onto a Qantas flight to Australia.

Given that sunrise is at 7am and I would expect that we will need to be checking in no less than 2 hours before departure time due to the international component, is it reasonable to expect that we could be one of the very first groups off and be done and off the property by 11:30?

I am estimating that the drive to Eugene is approx 2.5 hours and 4.5 to Portland, are these estimates accurate and reasonable? Which airport would be the preferred airport in this circumstance? We will be flying into the same airport as we leave from but there aren't really any constraints on the inbound legs as there are departing.

Should we even try to play the last day or should we just head to Eugene after our second round on the day prior and spend the night there? While probably less stressful, our flight from LAX doesn't leave until 22:40 and the only flights from Eugene are 06:00 and the 16:46 so it does seem like a bit of wasted time.

Any and all other thoughts and suggestions most welcome!

If you play a morning round at Bandon, you are going to be under pressure whichever airport you go for.

But it seems like much less risk to aim for Eugene in 3 hours rather than to Portland in 5 hours. (PDX is on the north side of Portland). And the weather could be foul.

Maybe choose Eugene and aim for the earliest tee time at Bandon Dunes itself rather than the others. BD will be quicker, and is right at the Lodge allowing a quick getaway.

So if it was 730 tee time (which is sunrise in Feb!!) , that's 12 noon finish and on your way by say 1230, at Eugene Airport by say 1530, leaving an hour checkin time for a 1646 flight. Hmmm, thats tight. On the other hand being first out you could scoot along and finish around 11/1130. Much easier.

Maybe a round at the Preserve? Done in 2 hours and much less stress. You dont want to miss your flight home.

Call April and discuss with her.

You really should. A waterproof bag with a rain hood is pretty adequate unless you get biblical weather. As mentioned earlier, they do a better job for sure than a standard bag and don't get heavy from soaking up water.

I actually take 3 bags to Bandon, my stitch sl1 is waterproof, 4 up sta dry, and a moon lite.

I still have my old Sun Mountain bag that I thought about bringing but the water absorption question is a good one. I obviously dont have a way to weigh it but the SM definitely absorbs a lot of water in the rain or dew. My daily bag now is the Motocaddy Aquaflex which is what I will most likely be bringing. I tend to travel light on the course anyway - and currently only have 13 clubs as it is - so if its a pound more than the SM but it also doesnt take on water? I think I'm OK with that and I think the caddies would be as well.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

@vh_jab - Do you have your teetimes sorted already? February is a really really popular "off-season" month and prime spots go quickly.
That said, take the Eugene flight. Seriously unless there's some huge price discrepancy folks aren't keen on; take the Eugene flight. It's a small airport that is super easy to get in and out of and it's also a domestic leg, LAX is where all the internationaling will happen, in regards to worrying about CBP queues and the like.
If you can get an 08:00 or earlier tee time on Bandon, Pacific, Old Mac or a 7:40 or earlier on Trails or Sheep Ranch, you can safely be on the road to EUG and queuing up to check in for your flight no later than 15:00. By all means the earlier the better but 1hr 45min at a minimum will leave you plenty of time.
We do this math on this for at least 2 of our foursome every year for the past 8yrs.

Edit: Quick add after reading the post after yours, if you are on a 4.5hr pace with a 07:30 tee time you're going to hear about it from the marshals, it it's not self evident by the groups immediately behind you ;-)

F.T.

I am also bringing a Callaway similar to the moonlite for if weather looks good and I want to carry less clubs. Worked out great last year on the days it didn’t rain.

Just found out the rotation for our group this year:

2/15 - Pacific

2/16 - Trails

2/17 - Bandon

No OM this year as we rotate with Trails every two years. Plenty of time to hit Shorty’s and PB first two days. Last day we’ll have lunch on site or crab shack in town if weather is nice then drive back to Portland.

@VNutz - Ha! You wouldn't be going to Scotland any time soon? Trade ya for a Dornoch one.
Kidding aside, PM sent... well being sent.

F.T.

Speaking of cancellations within the 30 day window.....................we usually reserve a morning round on our departure day, but usually cancel it well in advance because we're not sure about playing. If we were to decide not to play the last day, they would charge us, but give us resort credit in the form of a transferable gift card? So we can use ours and our buddies (who won't return)? Is this the case? I know I can call and ask, but I love adding to this thread. :)

G430 LST 9
G410 14.5
G410 19, 22
245, 5-gw
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
LAB Mezz Max

Thanks @duffer987 - am in the process of trying to secure tee times but am having trouble conveying that it is two of us and we are super flexible so anytime in Feb will work, we keep getting the same templated response. Am trying a different tack today. I did think that 4.5 hour rounds were on the slow side but you never know who may be ahead of you, who you are with and what the weather could be doing so was thinking worst case scenario.
Sounds like a full round on the main course is doable, if cutting it a little fine. Qantas recommends 2 hours at first port on an international ticket, especially if checking bags and I have had some issues on other US domestic flights to LAX and then onto Australia where I have arrived after the 2 hour time but each instance I put down to power hungry check in staff.
Thanks @Chanceman - hadn't thought of the Preserve and it isn't in our planned rotation of courses, it could be the perfect compromise. Enables a bit of a sleep in which will be needed given the long day ahead and still some fun golf, plus not too far away from the lodges in case it rains. Not keen on having wet clothes in my bag for 26 hours on the way home... Appreciate the advice on EUG vs PHX as well, looks like Proud Mary coffee and Voodoo Doughnuts will need to wait for another trip!
The ideal scenario is the 18:20 United flight from EUG to SFO and then the 23:00 SFO to Brisbane flight but it doesn't look like this is able to be ticketed.
Will see what tee times and lodging availability comes back, if it doesn't work out then no drama but I feel more informed now so thank you to you both.

No prob :-)

Were you able to secure lodging, as that is typically the more difficult part of a stay. Find a stretch of nights they have accomodations for that fits your sched and then add in the tee times. The reservation ladies are typically super helpful. We booked an additional off-cycle trip this April and had about a 10 day window to find a 3 nights/4 days stay and once we did zeroing in on the tee times was fairly simple. I'm a bit of an anorak, so after conferring with the guys, I excel sheet potential rotas and then work through it on the phone and we pretty much always end up with what we're looking for. Good luck!

F.T.

February dates fill really quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if the resort lodging was near full already, especially for weekends. Since there is such a small window for getting 36 holes in, those first tee times get snatched up very fast on Jan 1. I agree with the idea of playing Preserve on your last day and taking the flight from EUG. Less driving, easier airport to get in and out of, virtually no traffic. No brainer.

And yes, if you are on a 4.5+ hr pace on any course that time of year as one of the first groups out, you'll hear about it. Part of the booking process is being told that by getting a start time prior to 9 AM, you are agreeing to a sub 4 hour pace.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Yeah it is planned for Feb 2021 which I understand we are behind the 8-ball already but hopefully our flexibilty helps out!

I have gone back to them and given a specific 7 day period but also indicated that we can are happy with any 7 consecutive days, starting on any day of the week if that helps as well. Fingers crossed though if it doesn't work out we have NZ, Pinehurst and maybe one other as backups.I love an Excel spreadsheet when planning all my trips, now adding in what the cost and available daylight hours are for the other months in which we could go to see what the cost tradeoff will be and if others decide to come along, what their share will be. Timeanddate.com is a fantastic site for working out sunset times as well, makes planning so much easier for any golf trip!

Thank you again to everyone, will let you know how it goes.

^Ha! Ya I use sunrisesunset.com for that. The internet can actually be a useful place sometimes :-)

F.T.