2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Update to Taylormade P790

golf4lsd

I'm am thinking about purchasing a set of Taylormade P790 irons with graphite shafts but was curious if anyone knew when Taylormade is coming out with an updated version of the P790 and if so, what are the changes going to be?

Taylormade M5 9 hzrdus smoke stiff
Ping G410 14.5 Ping Tour 75
Taylormade M3 19 tensei blue 65 stiff
Callaway Apex CF-16 4-6 UST Recoil 780
Callaway MB 7-AW KBS Tour 110
Taylormade HiToe 54 & 60
Taylormade Tour Red 34"
Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
Titleist ProV1 Yellow 

I currently play Callaway CF16's and I put Recoil 780 F4 shafts in the 4,5 and 6 irons and really like them. I happen to see a set of the P790's at Roger Dunn's with the exact shafts and hit them in the bays. I really like the feel of them but am a little worried about the lower spin. Mainly I'm looking at the great feel and dispersion when i upgrade. I'm a 10 handicap and hit irons pretty good. Retiring next year so trying to get new clubs prior to retiring.

Taylormade HiToe 54 & 60
Taylormade Tour Red 34"
Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
Titleist ProV1 Yellow 

> @KMeloney said:

> > @golf4lsd said:

> > I really like the feel of them but am a little worried about the lower spin.

>

> If you're worried about not holding greens, I wouldn't worry about that. Plenty of green-holding spin with the 790s.

>

>

I’ve never had a problem holding greens. Our greens around here are hard too.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

... I had no problem holding greens here in the midwest with my P790's. However, wintering Phoenix this winter I played some very hard greens that either didn't even show a ball mark or it was very shallow and holding greens was a problem with long irons and occasionally even with mid irons. Short irons were never a problem. I was playing Papago and had 205 to a front pin on a par 3. I hit my P790 4 iron very high and it landed a few feet short of the pin and the ball bounced once, then rolled off the back. I ran across this too often and ended up switching back to my Cobra Forged Tours for the remainder of my stay. But I do view this is an anomaly of Phoenix and not a problem anywhere else I have played including Orlando and California.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

The P790's are on the lowish side of the spin-o-meter. In my testing they weren't as low as the 765's from Srixon. I am a high spin player, so they in concert with KBS Tour shafts work great for me, I have no trouble holding greens, and as a benefit my distance control on mis-hit shots are closer to the distance of well struck shots. This has been helping my scoring quite a bit.

• Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

We had the rep in awhile back to mention the TW irons and the update, ball etc. 790's are due to come this autumn, but all the info we got was "If you/your customers think the 790 is good, this is twice as good". So...remains to be seen.

My personal hope is that it remains as long, but the overall shape/topline/etc get shaved right down to be as thin as the 760's, which I hope to disappear so the blade can go to 750 length :#

This is what prompted my question. I don't want to purchase the P790 right now and then have them come out with an updated model that is a lot better.

Taylormade HiToe 54 & 60
Taylormade Tour Red 34"
Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
Titleist ProV1 Yellow 

Anymore info on a 790 replacement or at least a timeline?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

> @golf4lsd said:

> This is what prompted my question. I don't want to purchase the P790 right now and then have them come out with an updated model that is a lot better.

I understand that hesitation... but overall better doesn’t mean they will be better for you... I’m playing 22 year old irons. They aren’t holding me back. If you like them, get fit and get your best version of them. The new version won’t be significantly different.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I went to Roger Dunn's last night and hit the I500, I210, JPX 919 Forged and P790. The I500 was ruled out immediately as it was clicky sounding. All the others were really close feeling similar and distance/spin. However, every once in awhile the P790 would go 10 yards farther than the 160 carry I normally have. ??? I am now leaning more toward the JPX919 Forged.

Taylormade HiToe 54 & 60
Taylormade Tour Red 34"
Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
Titleist ProV1 Yellow 

> @golf4lsd said:

> I went to Roger Dunn's last night and hit the I500, I210, JPX 919 Forged and P790. The I500 was ruled out immediately as it was clicky sounding. All the others were really close feeling similar and distance/spin. However, every once in awhile the P790 would go 10 yards farther than the 160 carry I normally have. ??? I am now leaning more toward the JPX919 Forged.

Then you hit that one flush, and the others not-as-flush. I've found that the 790s prefer to bit hit higher on the face than I had been used to. But what's so nice about them is the fact that the lower mishits work out so much better than the same miss on other irons.

• Like 1

> @golf4lsd said:

> I went to Roger Dunn's last night and hit the I500, I210, JPX 919 Forged and P790. The I500 was ruled out immediately as it was clicky sounding. All the others were really close feeling similar and distance/spin. However, every once in awhile the P790 would go 10 yards farther than the 160 carry I normally have. ??? I am now leaning more toward the JPX919 Forged.

Yea 790's every once in a while have that hot spot that sends one flying !! I had a 4- 6 iron in the 790s and it was a bad match from the beginning... I dont deny theyre good clubs for the right person, but as someone who already launches high with low spin these were awful for me

My 6 iron had a range of 180 - 220 which is obviously not ideal lol. Usually 190- 195 is my sweet spot for a 6. but sometimes you get a flier with really low spin and id fly the green by 10 yards. if you're a consistent ball striker with irons, personally id look elsewhere

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

Changes I can see is a MG sole, doing away with the speed slots at least on mid irons, maybe a variable positioned tungsten weight in every head as well as variable face thickness. That said I don’t have gapping issues on solid shots with mine or stopping issues. They go high and long and if you use a premium urethane ball that spins a lot you should be fine. If you play with Wilson duo or Callaway supersoft you may have gapping and spin issues but any better player with any kind of swing speed would with any club.

I got trashed for saying the exact same thing here, but this was 100% my experience. My 7 iron doesn't carry 200 except with these. Got on a trackman and experienced the same inconsistencies with multiple shafts. I wanted to love them as they look great, but I didn't want a 7-SW set.

> @JoeFrigo said:

> > @golf4lsd said:

> > I went to Roger Dunn's last night and hit the I500, I210, JPX 919 Forged and P790. The I500 was ruled out immediately as it was clicky sounding. All the others were really close feeling similar and distance/spin. However, every once in awhile the P790 would go 10 yards farther than the 160 carry I normally have. ??? I am now leaning more toward the JPX919 Forged.

>

> Yea 790's every once in a while have that hot spot that sends one flying !! I had a 4- 6 iron in the 790s and it was a bad match from the beginning... I dont deny theyre good clubs for the right person, but as someone who already launches high with low spin these were awful for me

>

> My 6 iron had a range of 180 - 220 which is obviously not ideal lol. Usually 190- 195 is my sweet spot for a 6. but sometimes you get a flier with really low spin and id fly the green by 10 yards. if you're a consistent ball striker with irons, personally id look elsewhere

>

• Like 1

> @cardia10 said:

> I got trashed for saying the exact same thing here, but this was 100% my experience. My 7 iron doesn't carry 200 except with these. Got on a trackman and experienced the same inconsistencies with multiple shafts. I wanted to love them as they look great, but I didn't want a 7-SW set.

>

> > @JoeFrigo said:

> > > @golf4lsd said:

> > > I went to Roger Dunn's last night and hit the I500, I210, JPX 919 Forged and P790. The I500 was ruled out immediately as it was clicky sounding. All the others were really close feeling similar and distance/spin. However, every once in awhile the P790 would go 10 yards farther than the 160 carry I normally have. ??? I am now leaning more toward the JPX919 Forged.

> >

> > Yea 790's every once in a while have that hot spot that sends one flying !! I had a 4- 6 iron in the 790s and it was a bad match from the beginning... I dont deny theyre good clubs for the right person, but as someone who already launches high with low spin these were awful for me

> >

> > My 6 iron had a range of 180 - 220 which is obviously not ideal lol. Usually 190- 195 is my sweet spot for a 6. but sometimes you get a flier with really low spin and id fly the green by 10 yards. if you're a consistent ball striker with irons, personally id look elsewhere

> >

>

>

People I personally know and play with who have the 790's have all said the same thing. I think if you've played enough rounds with them then you know damn well sometimes you get the missile that just keeps flying!

on course I just never cared for these. They do look great I agree

lol yea simulators id hit some 6 irons with 2900 spin and carry 220. the next 5-6 shots would go about 200yds total, then that crazy one that carries over 215

at my iron fitting 2 weeks ago the clubs I have now I had 15 straight shots all within 8 yards of each other. the 790's were all over and it certainly wasn't b/c of inconsistent strikes

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

For sure, if they took steps to make it more consistent it would be even more of a winner. That seems to be the big issue. As BiggErn said above, maybe removing the slot in the 6 & 7 (or thereabout), and also increasing spin overall (by some method). Of course the P760 isn't as aggressive in terms of technology but by all accounts it's a very consistent iron with no low-spin issues and proper gapping. It would be great if they take what they learned in developing that iron and applied some of that to the 790. You might end up with an iron that doesn't go quite as far, but I'm sure TM's marketing department can handle that - "More consistency in the game's longest player's iron!" (I won't even charge for the tagline)

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

> @JoeFrigo said:

> > @golf4lsd said:

> > I went to Roger Dunn's last night and hit the I500, I210, JPX 919 Forged and P790. The I500 was ruled out immediately as it was clicky sounding. All the others were really close feeling similar and distance/spin. However, every once in awhile the P790 would go 10 yards farther than the 160 carry I normally have. ??? I am now leaning more toward the JPX919 Forged.

>

> Yea 790's every once in a while have that hot spot that sends one flying !! I had a 4- 6 iron in the 790s and it was a bad match from the beginning... I dont deny theyre good clubs for the right person, but as someone who already launches high with low spin these were awful for me

>

> **My 6 iron had a range of 180 - 220 w**hich is obviously not ideal lol. Usually 190- 195 is my sweet spot for a 6. but sometimes you get a flier with really low spin and id fly the green by 10 yards. if you're a consistent ball striker with irons, personally id look elsewhere

>

I think that if you can hit your 6-iron over 180, you need a set of clubs where distance is not an issue. i210 or something like that.

P790's are for folks who need the distance, or for a tour pro in a 3-iron.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @cardia10 said:

> I got trashed for saying the exact same thing here, but this was 100% my experience. My 7 iron doesn't carry 200 except with these. Got on a trackman and experienced the same inconsistencies with multiple shafts. I wanted to love them as they look great, but I didn't want a 7-SW set.

>

> > @JoeFrigo said:

> > > @golf4lsd said:

> > > I went to Roger Dunn's last night and hit the I500, I210, JPX 919 Forged and P790. The I500 was ruled out immediately as it was clicky sounding. All the others were really close feeling similar and distance/spin. However, every once in awhile the P790 would go 10 yards farther than the 160 carry I normally have. ??? I am now leaning more toward the JPX919 Forged.

> >

> > Yea 790's every once in a while have that hot spot that sends one flying !! I had a 4- 6 iron in the 790s and it was a bad match from the beginning... I dont deny theyre good clubs for the right person, but as someone who already launches high with low spin these were awful for me

> >

> > My 6 iron had a range of 180 - 220 which is obviously not ideal lol. Usually 190- 195 is my sweet spot for a 6. but sometimes you get a flier with really low spin and id fly the green by 10 yards. if you're a consistent ball striker with irons, personally id look elsewhere

> >

>

>

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

There aren’t any hot spots. I’d love to see the impact of those swings saying they have hot spots. From personal experience and a pro that I play regularly that has 790, it simply isn’t the case.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Went back and hit all three Friday afternoon and decided I'm going to buy the P790. Even with the occasional hot spot overall they seem better for me.

Taylormade HiToe 54 & 60
Taylormade Tour Red 34"
Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
Titleist ProV1 Yellow 

> @bogeypro said:

> There aren’t any hot spots. I’d love to see the impact of those swings saying they have hot spots. From personal experience and a pro that I play regularly that has 790, it simply isn’t the case.

Totally agree. This "hot spot" thing with P790s has become an urban legend. It has gotten into people's heads and now they attribute every one of their own distance miscalculations, flier lies, etc. to the club instead of to themselves or to conditions on the course.

Titleist TSR3 08.00 – Ventus Red 065x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – Tour AD DI 075x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 085x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – Tour AD DI 095x

Titleist TSR2 24.00 – Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T100 6i 7i 8i 9i – Tour X100

Titleist SM09 46 50 54 60 – Tour S400

Titleist Pro V1 56 – White Hot OG5 CS

I had the 790’s for a while. Never really noticed a hot spot. I did have a much larger than normal gap between the 7 and 8 irons, so much so that bending 2 degrees did not fill the gap. Others had reported the same thing, while some guys never noticed that gapping issues. Perhaps the 8 being solid and 7 hollow had something to do with that.

1. I think the "replacement" is the P760. It came out a year after and they took away the speedfoam in the short irons. I don't see a replacement for an iron that based on what I have heard is still one of the top 5 iron sets being sold. If it continues to drop I imagine they may replace next year at the PGA show.

2. If you see fliers with the P790's it is one of two things.

A. P790's are low spin, if you are an already a low spin player or medium spin player and get grass or water between the club and ball, then ball go far. You actually have to clean your grooves between every shot.

You also have to factor in dew, grass and a flier lie. I am a high spin player and I saw this with the Srixon 7 and 565's. I also see it with the 790's, one dewy morning I didn't clean my grooves and hit a 7 iron that flew over the back of the green to a middle pin. That's not a hot spot, that's a stupid spot. That stupid spot is in my brain for not cleaning the grooves.

B. You actually hit one on the screws and you normally hit them absolutely horrible.

I have tracked my rounds with the P790's and my distance short and long of the flag on iron shots has become a tremendous advantage. I am averaging 6 yards with my 8 iron down. Meaning I am normally within 18 feet long or short of the flag after hitting an iron. Notice I did not say 6 yards all around. My misses left and right can be much, much more than 10 yards. I actually need to track that next, but my goal was to become a guy that was flag high, and know pretty well how far a well struck shot would travel with full/cut/draw/knockdown distances. I have these numbers on my 7 iron down, 7 iron I am 8.76 yards. I am still collecting the data for the 6 and 5 iron, and I am not too worried about the 4 iron.

My last two sets of irons I was averaging over 9.5 yards dispersion long and short.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

One more question, I'm leaning toward the recoil 780 F4 shafts. Would I get much of a change in spin verses steel?

Taylormade HiToe 54 & 60
Taylormade Tour Red 34"
Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
Titleist ProV1 Yellow