2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

I was embarrassed to be at Bethpage...

Pauly567

> @BiggErn said:

> > @Pauly567 said:

> > I wanted to see if anyone here attended yesterday's first round , and if so what their thoughts were on the fans? I don't write very many posts on GolfWRX, but I have to say that attending Bethpage yesterday was pretty nauseating to say the least. I'm sure there will be people who throw around words like Snowflake, etc when they read this, but the etiquette or lack there of I witnessed yesterday was deplorable; and it was all under the heading of "Hey, I'm from NY". As someone who grew up on Long Island, I was embarrassed. I stood next to the tee-box on 7 watching Phil, Rory and Kisner come through and wanted to vomit at the stuff that was coming out of some of these people's mouths; and could only imagine what the players were thinking. Then Phil hit the restroom after he teed off, only to return to very specific and graphic questions about what he was doing in there.....there were some other choice remark as well thrown Rory's way.

> > That being said, I think I'm venting more on the fact that this has become "acceptable" ... I guess it's just worse in NY because people think that being from NY they just have an excuse to be A--H---e. I was going to take my 5 year old to the tournament yesterday, but I though it would be to long a day for him . I'm glad I made that decision, as I'm not quite sure what I would have said to him at that point when he said, Daddy, why are they yelling those things at them? ...Maybe I just witnessed the worst fans of the week on that particular tee box, but something tell me I'm being being to optimistic.

> > I just happen to see the Billy Horshell Incident last week on twitter, and I guess that's what also prompted me to write this. I was in 100% agreement with Billy and his reaction. Reading comments from people om twitter who genuinely believe they have the right to act, say and do anything they want is total Bull---t. Get some manners people...and If you can't control your self when having a few beers, then don't drink. I'm all for cheering, and a little heckling, but there's a line ....and if you don't know where that line is then stay home.

>

> On the flip side everyone is offended by everything in today’s society as well. If they can’t find something to be offended by they will keep digging. BK himself said it makes golf seem like an actual sporting event. Yes people are loud, obnoxious, and boisterous but as long as they’re not hurting anybody or screaming during someone’s swing who really cares. Alcohol is a big part I’m sure but I guarantee you can throw any hopes of curbing alcohol sales out the window. The PGA exists to make money and as long as people don’t cross an extreme line this is how it’s gonna be.

If you are swearing in front of my kids, or making comments about my partner, then yeah, I care. I care that what is meant to be a gentleman's sport is being hijacked by arseholes, and I am glad that most people on here don't want society to descend into a lowest denominator boar fest.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

> @BiggErn said:

> > @Enduro59 said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @Pauly567 said:

> > > > I wanted to see if anyone here attended yesterday's first round , and if so what their thoughts were on the fans? I don't write very many posts on GolfWRX, but I have to say that attending Bethpage yesterday was pretty nauseating to say the least. I'm sure there will be people who throw around words like Snowflake, etc when they read this, but the etiquette or lack there of I witnessed yesterday was deplorable; and it was all under the heading of "Hey, I'm from NY". As someone who grew up on Long Island, I was embarrassed. I stood next to the tee-box on 7 watching Phil, Rory and Kisner come through and wanted to vomit at the stuff that was coming out of some of these people's mouths; and could only imagine what the players were thinking. Then Phil hit the restroom after he teed off, only to return to very specific and graphic questions about what he was doing in there.....there were some other choice remark as well thrown Rory's way.

> > > > That being said, I think I'm venting more on the fact that this has become "acceptable" ... I guess it's just worse in NY because people think that being from NY they just have an excuse to be A--H---e. I was going to take my 5 year old to the tournament yesterday, but I though it would be to long a day for him . I'm glad I made that decision, as I'm not quite sure what I would have said to him at that point when he said, Daddy, why are they yelling those things at them? ...Maybe I just witnessed the worst fans of the week on that particular tee box, but something tell me I'm being being to optimistic.

> > > > I just happen to see the Billy Horshell Incident last week on twitter, and I guess that's what also prompted me to write this. I was in 100% agreement with Billy and his reaction. Reading comments from people om twitter who genuinely believe they have the right to act, say and do anything they want is total Bull---t. Get some manners people...and If you can't control your self when having a few beers, then don't drink. I'm all for cheering, and a little heckling, but there's a line ....and if you don't know where that line is then stay home.

> > >

> > > On the flip side everyone is offended by everything in today’s society as well. If they can’t find something to be offended by they will keep digging. BK himself said it makes golf seem like an actual sporting event. Yes people are loud, obnoxious, and boisterous but as long as they’re not hurting anybody or screaming during someone’s swing who really cares. Alcohol is a big part I’m sure but I guarantee you can throw any hopes of curbing alcohol sales out the window. The PGA exists to make money and as long as people don’t cross an extreme line this is how it’s gonna be.

> > I don't think what we are talking about could be equated with digging to find something to be offended about. Koopeka won so his comments must be taken in that context. Had he lost or let's suppose at the Ryder Cup in Paris last year loud fans relentlessly hurled non stop comments about him or his girlfriend's anatomy or sexual dysfunction he might have a different point of view. I think the PGA tour and most of their advertisers are blinded by greed and fear of a lawsuit by some rowdy poor ole poster child of the pc crowd that gets roughed up by security or removed from an event that they paid their hard earned money to get into. Never mind what the back of the ticket stub has printed in it. Anyway one does not have to be a rocket surgeon to understand that this escalation of behavior, based on statistics (and statistics don't lie) will very soon cross the extreme line you refer too. Do we wait until then or try to alter the outcome while it is still possible?

>

> Except what you’re stating is dealt with at every sporting event, including golf. I have no idea why some people think Golf is some sort of holier than thou event. It’s just a game.

No,there is a difference. Team vs individual is the first to come to mind. Historically there has been a big difference. Maybe not so much in the last decade or so. I don't follow any sports on TV like I used to but I haven't seen or heard any drunk/disorderly mob mentality verbal abuse like happens now at golf tournaments go unchallenged or not dealt with. Especially professional tennis tournaments which are individual not team. (Other examples would be the deal with the cubs fan and the nba player that went into the stands)

I'm not trying to elevate the importance of professional golf as"holier than thou"but with the money they are playing for and all the money to be made with sponsors and advertising all the way to the bottom of the food chain,your statement that it's just a game is ..........well I think that ship sailed away a long time ago.

> @Bingo1976 said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @Pauly567 said:

> > > I wanted to see if anyone here attended yesterday's first round , and if so what their thoughts were on the fans? I don't write very many posts on GolfWRX, but I have to say that attending Bethpage yesterday was pretty nauseating to say the least. I'm sure there will be people who throw around words like Snowflake, etc when they read this, but the etiquette or lack there of I witnessed yesterday was deplorable; and it was all under the heading of "Hey, I'm from NY". As someone who grew up on Long Island, I was embarrassed. I stood next to the tee-box on 7 watching Phil, Rory and Kisner come through and wanted to vomit at the stuff that was coming out of some of these people's mouths; and could only imagine what the players were thinking. Then Phil hit the restroom after he teed off, only to return to very specific and graphic questions about what he was doing in there.....there were some other choice remark as well thrown Rory's way.

> > > That being said, I think I'm venting more on the fact that this has become "acceptable" ... I guess it's just worse in NY because people think that being from NY they just have an excuse to be A--H---e. I was going to take my 5 year old to the tournament yesterday, but I though it would be to long a day for him . I'm glad I made that decision, as I'm not quite sure what I would have said to him at that point when he said, Daddy, why are they yelling those things at them? ...Maybe I just witnessed the worst fans of the week on that particular tee box, but something tell me I'm being being to optimistic.

> > > I just happen to see the Billy Horshell Incident last week on twitter, and I guess that's what also prompted me to write this. I was in 100% agreement with Billy and his reaction. Reading comments from people om twitter who genuinely believe they have the right to act, say and do anything they want is total Bull---t. Get some manners people...and If you can't control your self when having a few beers, then don't drink. I'm all for cheering, and a little heckling, but there's a line ....and if you don't know where that line is then stay home.

> >

> > On the flip side everyone is offended by everything in today’s society as well. If they can’t find something to be offended by they will keep digging. BK himself said it makes golf seem like an actual sporting event. Yes people are loud, obnoxious, and boisterous but as long as they’re not hurting anybody or screaming during someone’s swing who really cares. Alcohol is a big part I’m sure but I guarantee you can throw any hopes of curbing alcohol sales out the window. The PGA exists to make money and as long as people don’t cross an extreme line this is how it’s gonna be.

>

> If you are swearing in front of my kids, or making comments about my partner, then yeah, I care. I care that what is meant to be a gentleman's sport is being hijacked by arseholes, and I am glad that most people on here don't want society to descend into a lowest denominator boar fest.

>

Gentleman’s sport? I’d say the majority of the guys on tour are SWEARERS, drunks, gamblers, adulterers, and/or ”arseholes”. It’s truly ironic that some people get offended by some fans being similar. Yes there’s a certain point where someone crosses the line but it’s not someone being loud, obnoxious, etc

• Like 1

As someone who has played the Black on a weekly basis and still plays it regularly (from the whites, lol), I can say that some of the behavior was inappropriate and embarassing! The actions of a few arseholes was not a true representation of the many respectful fans who showed up to watch as well as marshall the event. That said, I've seen many country club types show up on the Black with their caddys, spray the ball everywhere, shoot 100+ and cause a backup for the rest of us! They dont care that because of their lack of courtesy (picking up after reaching double par) (looking for their ball for 5+ minutes) causes us to have a 6+ hr round!!!!! Is that respectful?

> @Enduro59 said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @Enduro59 said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > @Pauly567 said:

> > > > > I wanted to see if anyone here attended yesterday's first round , and if so what their thoughts were on the fans? I don't write very many posts on GolfWRX, but I have to say that attending Bethpage yesterday was pretty nauseating to say the least. I'm sure there will be people who throw around words like Snowflake, etc when they read this, but the etiquette or lack there of I witnessed yesterday was deplorable; and it was all under the heading of "Hey, I'm from NY". As someone who grew up on Long Island, I was embarrassed. I stood next to the tee-box on 7 watching Phil, Rory and Kisner come through and wanted to vomit at the stuff that was coming out of some of these people's mouths; and could only imagine what the players were thinking. Then Phil hit the restroom after he teed off, only to return to very specific and graphic questions about what he was doing in there.....there were some other choice remark as well thrown Rory's way.

> > > > > That being said, I think I'm venting more on the fact that this has become "acceptable" ... I guess it's just worse in NY because people think that being from NY they just have an excuse to be A--H---e. I was going to take my 5 year old to the tournament yesterday, but I though it would be to long a day for him . I'm glad I made that decision, as I'm not quite sure what I would have said to him at that point when he said, Daddy, why are they yelling those things at them? ...Maybe I just witnessed the worst fans of the week on that particular tee box, but something tell me I'm being being to optimistic.

> > > > > I just happen to see the Billy Horshell Incident last week on twitter, and I guess that's what also prompted me to write this. I was in 100% agreement with Billy and his reaction. Reading comments from people om twitter who genuinely believe they have the right to act, say and do anything they want is total Bull---t. Get some manners people...and If you can't control your self when having a few beers, then don't drink. I'm all for cheering, and a little heckling, but there's a line ....and if you don't know where that line is then stay home.

> > > >

> > > > On the flip side everyone is offended by everything in today’s society as well. If they can’t find something to be offended by they will keep digging. BK himself said it makes golf seem like an actual sporting event. Yes people are loud, obnoxious, and boisterous but as long as they’re not hurting anybody or screaming during someone’s swing who really cares. Alcohol is a big part I’m sure but I guarantee you can throw any hopes of curbing alcohol sales out the window. The PGA exists to make money and as long as people don’t cross an extreme line this is how it’s gonna be.

> > > I don't think what we are talking about could be equated with digging to find something to be offended about. Koopeka won so his comments must be taken in that context. Had he lost or let's suppose at the Ryder Cup in Paris last year loud fans relentlessly hurled non stop comments about him or his girlfriend's anatomy or sexual dysfunction he might have a different point of view. I think the PGA tour and most of their advertisers are blinded by greed and fear of a lawsuit by some rowdy poor ole poster child of the pc crowd that gets roughed up by security or removed from an event that they paid their hard earned money to get into. Never mind what the back of the ticket stub has printed in it. Anyway one does not have to be a rocket surgeon to understand that this escalation of behavior, based on statistics (and statistics don't lie) will very soon cross the extreme line you refer too. Do we wait until then or try to alter the outcome while it is still possible?

> >

> > Except what you’re stating is dealt with at every sporting event, including golf. I have no idea why some people think Golf is some sort of holier than thou event. It’s just a game.

>

> No,there is a difference. Team vs individual is the first to come to mind. Historically there has been a big difference. Maybe not so much in the last decade or so. I don't follow any sports on TV like I used to but I haven't seen or heard any drunk/disorderly mob mentality verbal abuse like happens now at golf tournaments go unchallenged or not dealt with. Especially professional tennis tournaments which are individual not team. (Other examples would be the deal with the cubs fan and the nba player that went into the stands)

> I'm not trying to elevate the importance of professional golf as"holier than thou"but with the money they are playing for and all the money to be made with sponsors and advertising all the way to the bottom of the food chain,your statement that it's just a game is ..........well I think that ship sailed away a long time ago.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but reality is reality. Nobody is gonna get kicked out of an event for yelling “mashed potatoes” or “bababooey”.

• Like 1

> @bscinstnct said:

> > @jonsnow said:

> > > @bscinstnct said:

> > >

> > >

> > > https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/christinebrennan/2019/05/18/pga-championship-bethpage-black-fans/3724698002/

> > >

> > > Opinion: PGA's raucous crowds at Bethpage Black far more fun than prim, proper Augusta

> > >

> > > Cheering a bad shot in golf? Oh, the horror. Golfers are so sheltered from big-time sports reality that they often have trouble dealing with one pithy comment and demand the perpetrator’s ejection. Someday these pampered souls should try wearing a Michigan jersey in Columbus for an hour or so.

> > >

> > > Then there was the moment Saturday when Daniel Berger teed off and some goofball screamed, “Burgers for all!”

> > >

> > > Of course there was laughter. Everyone smiled. Can you imagine, happiness of this magnitude at a sporting event?

> > >

> > > Most people in and around the game of golf probably prefer Augusta National’s sterile ways to the laissez-faire approach here this week. Not me. These New York crowds are having a ball, and their fun is infectious. They are enjoying the sunshine on a public golf course in the middle of a state park. There are little kids everywhere. Compare and contrast to the history of very private Augusta National, which until seven years ago didn’t allow women to be members.

> > >

> > > Koepka, who has slapped palms with hundreds of New Yorkers going hole to hole this week, told CBS Saturday afternoon that he loves the atmosphere at Bethpage Black. **“It feels," he said, "like a real sporting event.”**

> >

> > I would expect nothing less from Christine Brennan & the piece of trash newspaper she writes for...

>

> Speaking of bad writing.

>

> You see the GoT finale? I thought I was watching an SNL skit.

>

> Maybe that's' why you mad, I know I am ; )

>

>

LOL!

Golf is a gentleman’s game period, unfortunately we seem to live in a time of brash and shameless young people who seriously lack some respect. I guarantee everyone yelling “bababouy” or “mashed potatoes” is well under the age of 30. Ask yourself.. why didn’t they have these problems before? Nobody used to yell stupid things during Palmers backswing or Hogan? Nope. Nicklaus..no. Now obviously this is somewhat a byproduct of the pga reaching out to the masses and the new social media age, I realize tiger changed things and you can argue those points I get it I do, but I must say to me that’s an easy excuse and there’s more to it than that. Those guys back then especially Palmer had some huge galleries too WITH drunk people I may add! No stupid words yelled during backswings tho. Hmmm... I wonder why?? Every serious golfer knows the amount of concentration it takes to play at a high level and understands that the mental part of golf is well over half the battle. You are solely dependent on yourself to execute. You can’t deny golf is different from every other major sport! It’s four days! It’s one single burst of energy and focus at a time and yelling during that moment is so wrong and disrespectful to not only that person who is competing but the whole history of golf as a game of honor and integrity.

Watched the PGA Championship on TV, since I live in Sweden.

It was like attending an ice hockey match - why the h... can't some Americans behave on a golf course?

Maybe the New Yorkers are worse than others, but with the latest Ryder Cup on American soil in mind, the behaviour of American fans should be stiffled to some degree - among other things - even if I normally oppose to such restrictions - maybe the USGA should demand very limited access to alcoholic beverages? Golf is - or rather was - a gentlemen's game through and through, but how would a misbehaving member of the crowd feel about getting a wedge between the eyes? Not acceptable, of course, and I admire the golfers, that limit themselves (Rory McIlroy) to threats of the "punch in the nose" type.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, you never hear that rowdy and undisciplined kind of behaviour in Augusta, where the culprits would be taken "off course" faster than they could open another beer can, so why in other places? It cannot be necessary for security and police to step in to keep the crowd at bay?

There are many flaws within sports in Europe, but the golf public generally behave themselves very well - a European example well worth following.

> @tiderider said:

> > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > I blame excess alcohol sales.

>

> nope ... a-holes gonna a-hole ... it's the new definition of masculine that's slowly been proffered the last 30 years ...

Unfortunately, DatSliceDoe is right about this, but then again you should have sufficient self control to know, that you cannot behave when entoxicated.

I hav visited NY three times - the first, the last, the only - I have been numerous times to the US and have allways been treated very well by everyone - except in the big Apple.

A sad fact that obviously rubs off to certain members of the golf public. I shall never understand, why these morons rather would be known for their idiocies, than make sure, that ordinary New Yorkers can be proud of this city.

> @produff26 said:

> That said, I've seen many country club types show up on the Black with their caddys, spray the ball everywhere, shoot 100+ and cause a backup for the rest of us! They dont care that because of their lack of courtesy (picking up after reaching double par) (looking for their ball for 5+ minutes) causes us to have a 6+ hr round!!!!! Is that respectful?

If your point is that golf on a hard course played on the weekend can take a long, long time, then that is noted. By and large, that is a common complaint about any muni and is not limited to BPB.

If your point is that you don't like rich people or people who act snobby, that is noted as well. To each his own.

If your point is that slow play is just as disrespectful as someone yelling a vulgarity about a player's mother/wife/girlfriend/etc., then you've been in the Northern NJ/NYC/Boston metroplex area too long. It's not the same...and never will be.

• Like 1

> @bscinstnct said:

> > @Drudersh said:

> > > @bscinstnct said:

> > > > @Drudersh said:

> > > > > @bscinstnct said:

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/christinebrennan/2019/05/18/pga-championship-bethpage-black-fans/3724698002/

> > > > >

> > > > > Opinion: PGA's raucous crowds at Bethpage Black far more fun than prim, proper Augusta

> > > > >

> > > > > Cheering a bad shot in golf? Oh, the horror. Golfers are so sheltered from big-time sports reality that they often have trouble dealing with one pithy comment and demand the perpetrator’s ejection. Someday these pampered souls should try wearing a Michigan jersey in Columbus for an hour or so.

> > > > >

> > > > > Then there was the moment Saturday when Daniel Berger teed off and some goofball screamed, “Burgers for all!”

> > > > >

> > > > > Of course there was laughter. Everyone smiled. Can you imagine, happiness of this magnitude at a sporting event?

> > > > >

> > > > > Most people in and around the game of golf probably prefer Augusta National’s sterile ways to the laissez-faire approach here this week. Not me. These New York crowds are having a ball, and their fun is infectious. They are enjoying the sunshine on a public golf course in the middle of a state park. There are little kids everywhere. Compare and contrast to the history of very private Augusta National, which until seven years ago didn’t allow women to be members.

> > > > >

> > > > > Koepka, who has slapped palms with hundreds of New Yorkers going hole to hole this week, told CBS Saturday afternoon that he loves the atmosphere at Bethpage Black. **“It feels," he said, "like a real sporting event.”**

> > > >

> > > > Interesting take. I didn't find their "fun" to be "infectious". Rather I found their over the top obnoxious behavior to serve as another reminder of why I avoid that area of the country like a plague despite living less than 2 hours away.

> > > >

> > > > The fan behavior during the 2016 Ryder cup at Hazeltine was over the top but at the same time it was much closer to infectious fun than what happened this weekend in Farmingdale.

> > > >

> > > > Golfer's are delicate little snowflakes who ask for fans ejections? Do you watch the NBA? Have you seen how many of those primadonna's have gotten into it with fans over the past season? And guess what? The fans in those situations get ejected and the blame is more often than not laid square on their shoulders in the reporting.

> > > >

> > > > With the exception of the Ryder Cup, these guys aren't heading into "enemy territory" when they compete. Were that the case they could expect some level of verbal harassment from the fan base. The notion of actively rooting against someone in golf doesn't necessarily bother me, but personal insults and idiotic behavior shouldn't be accepted as the new norm, and writing in support of this display is mind boggling to me.

> > >

> > > Interestingly enough, a woman wrote it ; )

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I'm not sure where that enters this discussion. Did I miss something?

>

> Some might be surprised that a woman is less sensitive about a little raucousness than some guys are.

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @aabcuue said:

> > One being ProActive, whomever is working the hole needs to identify possible culprits 1 and often. Then nip in the bud before said behaviour starts. A good warning as you stand in front of them as players arrive often works. Being imposing and proper body language also sets the tone.

>

> ...have you ever been to NY? there's cops everywhere. every corner. unless you're doing something illegal -- you can be as much an **** as you want and they aren't gonna care.

>

> 'standing in front of them as players arrive' ain't gonna do nothin -- i had to laugh at *imposing*...lol

> @BiggErn said:

> > @Enduro59 said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @Enduro59 said:

> > > > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > > > @Pauly567 said:

> > > > > > I wanted to see if anyone here attended yesterday's first round , and if so what their thoughts were on the fans? I don't write very many posts on GolfWRX, but I have to say that attending Bethpage yesterday was pretty nauseating to say the least. I'm sure there will be people who throw around words like Snowflake, etc when they read this, but the etiquette or lack there of I witnessed yesterday was deplorable; and it was all under the heading of "Hey, I'm from NY". As someone who grew up on Long Island, I was embarrassed. I stood next to the tee-box on 7 watching Phil, Rory and Kisner come through and wanted to vomit at the stuff that was coming out of some of these people's mouths; and could only imagine what the players were thinking. Then Phil hit the restroom after he teed off, only to return to very specific and graphic questions about what he was doing in there.....there were some other choice remark as well thrown Rory's way.

> > > > > > That being said, I think I'm venting more on the fact that this has become "acceptable" ... I guess it's just worse in NY because people think that being from NY they just have an excuse to be A--H---e. I was going to take my 5 year old to the tournament yesterday, but I though it would be to long a day for him . I'm glad I made that decision, as I'm not quite sure what I would have said to him at that point when he said, Daddy, why are they yelling those things at them? ...Maybe I just witnessed the worst fans of the week on that particular tee box, but something tell me I'm being being to optimistic.

> > > > > > I just happen to see the Billy Horshell Incident last week on twitter, and I guess that's what also prompted me to write this. I was in 100% agreement with Billy and his reaction. Reading comments from people om twitter who genuinely believe they have the right to act, say and do anything they want is total Bull---t. Get some manners people...and If you can't control your self when having a few beers, then don't drink. I'm all for cheering, and a little heckling, but there's a line ....and if you don't know where that line is then stay home.

> > > > >

> > > > > On the flip side everyone is offended by everything in today’s society as well. If they can’t find something to be offended by they will keep digging. BK himself said it makes golf seem like an actual sporting event. Yes people are loud, obnoxious, and boisterous but as long as they’re not hurting anybody or screaming during someone’s swing who really cares. Alcohol is a big part I’m sure but I guarantee you can throw any hopes of curbing alcohol sales out the window. The PGA exists to make money and as long as people don’t cross an extreme line this is how it’s gonna be.

> > > > I don't think what we are talking about could be equated with digging to find something to be offended about. Koopeka won so his comments must be taken in that context. Had he lost or let's suppose at the Ryder Cup in Paris last year loud fans relentlessly hurled non stop comments about him or his girlfriend's anatomy or sexual dysfunction he might have a different point of view. I think the PGA tour and most of their advertisers are blinded by greed and fear of a lawsuit by some rowdy poor ole poster child of the pc crowd that gets roughed up by security or removed from an event that they paid their hard earned money to get into. Never mind what the back of the ticket stub has printed in it. Anyway one does not have to be a rocket surgeon to understand that this escalation of behavior, based on statistics (and statistics don't lie) will very soon cross the extreme line you refer too. Do we wait until then or try to alter the outcome while it is still possible?

> > >

> > > Except what you’re stating is dealt with at every sporting event, including golf. I have no idea why some people think Golf is some sort of holier than thou event. It’s just a game.

> >

> > No,there is a difference. Team vs individual is the first to come to mind. Historically there has been a big difference. Maybe not so much in the last decade or so. I don't follow any sports on TV like I used to but I haven't seen or heard any drunk/disorderly mob mentality verbal abuse like happens now at golf tournaments go unchallenged or not dealt with. Especially professional tennis tournaments which are individual not team. (Other examples would be the deal with the cubs fan and the nba player that went into the stands)

> > I'm not trying to elevate the importance of professional golf as"holier than thou"but with the money they are playing for and all the money to be made with sponsors and advertising all the way to the bottom of the food chain,your statement that it's just a game is ..........well I think that ship sailed away a long time ago.

>

> You are certainly entitled to your opinion but reality is reality. Nobody is gonna get kicked out of an event for yelling “mashed potatoes” or “bababooey”.

Exception being Augusta , right ? So it can be done. Just use Augusta as a guide .

• Like 1

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Michael Breed called the NY fans "passionate". He uses a different dictionary than I grew up with.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

> @lawsonman said:

> Michael Breed called the NY fans "passionate". He uses a different dictionary than I grew up with.

Golf channel did they same perpetuating the myth that is trumpeted on every sports channel except those willing to be honest. The NE is filled with cities with lots of "passionate" fans for some reason. I think it's a case of constantly drinking their own koolaid and trying to live up to a knuckle dragging image.

• Like 1

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @BiggErn said:Yes people are loud, obnoxious, and boisterous but as long as they’re not hurting anybody or screaming during someone’s swing who really cares.

> I do. As a fan watching on TV I find the obnoxious crowd to be a huge distraction. So much that I put it on mute so I could enjoy the golf.

my 89 year old grandfather does that too...not b/c of the fans tho; he forgets to turn it off mute after the commercials. he doesn't have issues with the fans and he's been around well, long enough to know the sport before there were the 'tiger bunch' that came after '97.

meanwhile in this thread, guys are still yelling to get off their lawn.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @BiggErn said:Yes people are loud, obnoxious, and boisterous but as long as they’re not hurting anybody or screaming during someone’s swing who really cares.

> > I do. As a fan watching on TV I find the obnoxious crowd to be a huge distraction. So much that I put it on mute so I could enjoy the golf.

>

> my 89 year old grandfather does that too...not b/c of the fans tho; he forgets to turn it off mute after the commercials. he doesn't have issues with the fans and he's been around well, long enough to know the sport before there were the 'tiger bunch' that came after '97.

>

> meanwhile in this thread, guys are still yelling to get off their lawn.

Well. Sometimes people need to be told to get off . No? You’re essentially saying the opposite. Why does the boorish patrons enjoyment of the event trump the fan who wishes to be able to watch without feeling like he’s on Greek row? Surely we can’t say “ majority rules” because there’s no way the idiots are the majority. If that were the case we’d have a couple ritual sacrifices on course and a mosh pit in the middle of a fairway somewhere. This is clearly just a case of a pack mentality taking over . A minority acting out and getting away with it and the passive pack following along. They’d follow just as easily in an orderly manner if led there . Augusta proves this every year. Nobody complains that they can’t yell obscenities, people actually pay more and travel farther to attend an event that is ran well. Why is this so hard to see ?

• Like 1

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:Yes people are loud, obnoxious, and boisterous but as long as they’re not hurting anybody or screaming during someone’s swing who really cares.

> > > I do. As a fan watching on TV I find the obnoxious crowd to be a huge distraction. So much that I put it on mute so I could enjoy the golf.

> >

> > my 89 year old grandfather does that too...not b/c of the fans tho; he forgets to turn it off mute after the commercials. he doesn't have issues with the fans and he's been around well, long enough to know the sport before there were the 'tiger bunch' that came after '97.

> >

> > meanwhile in this thread, guys are still yelling to get off their lawn.

>

> Well. Sometimes people need to be told to get off . No? You’re essentially saying the opposite. Why does the boorish patrons enjoyment of the event trump the fan who wishes to be able to watch without feeling like he’s on Greek row? Surely we can’t say “ majority rules” because there’s no way the idiots are the majority. If that were the case we’d have a couple ritual sacrifices on course and a mosh pit in the middle of a fairway somewhere. This is clearly just a case of a pack mentality taking over . A minority acting out and getting away with it and the passive pack following along. They’d follow just as easily in an orderly manner if led there . Augusta proves this every year. Nobody complains that they can’t yell obscenities, people actually pay more and travel farther to attend an event that is ran well. Why is this so hard to see ?

blade. it's not hard to see -- but what you're suggesting is to change the entire culture of EVERY tour event to that of the masters; a tournament run with stringent policies, policing, ticket sales, etc.

i would have the counter argument that 90% or more of the fans AT these events are NOT the boorish patrons you're speaking of. i saw the MAJORITY of people acting like humans and otherwise cheering people on. my point is there are bad eggs -- however when a culture in an event is such that police, the media, etc are OK WITH IT...it won't change. sure, people have been removed from time to time but the overall message to fans is, "we want you to come, enjoy yourselves*"

*this includes but not limited to, acting however you please as long as it's legal

NO ONE TALKING on this board is going to change a d**n thing...that's what i'm getting at. just a sound board so y'all can gripe about the fans. nothing will come of this back and forth; b/c those that are in the spots to do something - won't b/c money is still green.

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

> @bladehunter said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @BiggErn said:Yes people are loud, obnoxious, and boisterous but as long as they’re not hurting anybody or screaming during someone’s swing who really cares.

> > > I do. As a fan watching on TV I find the obnoxious crowd to be a huge distraction. So much that I put it on mute so I could enjoy the golf.

> >

> > my 89 year old grandfather does that too...not b/c of the fans tho; he forgets to turn it off mute after the commercials. he doesn't have issues with the fans and he's been around well, long enough to know the sport before there were the 'tiger bunch' that came after '97.

> >

>

> Well. Sometimes people need to be told to get off . No? You’re essentially saying the opposite. Why does the boorish patrons enjoyment of the event trump the fan who wishes to be able to watch without feeling like he’s on Greek row? Surely we can’t say “ majority rules” because there’s no way the idiots are the majority. If that were the case we’d have a couple ritual sacrifices on course and a mosh pit in the middle of a fairway somewhere. This is clearly just a case of a pack mentality taking over . A minority acting out and getting away with it and the passive pack following along. They’d follow just as easily in an orderly manner if led there . Augusta proves this every year. Nobody complains that they can’t yell obscenities, people actually pay more and travel farther to attend an event that is ran well. Why is this so hard to see ?

blade. it's not hard to see -- but what you're suggesting is to change the entire culture of EVERY tour event to that of the masters; a tournament run with stringent policies, policing, ticket sales, etc.

i would have the counter argument that 90% or more of the fans AT these events are NOT the boorish patrons you're speaking of. i saw the MAJORITY of people acting like humans and otherwise cheering people on. my point is there are bad eggs -- however when a culture in an event is such that police, the media, etc are OK WITH IT...it won't change. sure, people have been removed from time to time but the overall message to fans is, "we want you to come, enjoy yourselves*"

*this includes but not limited to, acting however you please as long as it's legal

NO ONE TALKING on this board is going to change that...as long as money is still green

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

> @bladehunter said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> >

> >

>

NO ONE TALKING on this board is going to change that as long as money is still green

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

> @bladehunter said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> >

> >

>

NO ONE TALKING on this board is going to change as long as money is still green

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

> @bladehunter said:

NO ONE TALKING on this board is going to change as long as money is still green

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

Blade - of course it's not hard to see -- but what you're suggesting is to change the entire culture of EVERY tour event to that of the masters; a tournament run with stringent policies, policing, ticket sales, etc.

NO ONE TALKING on this board is going to change as long as money is still green.

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

> @bladehunter said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> >

> >

>

You going to start telling folks to quiet down at a NFL game because their yelling bothers you?

Speaking for myself, I will never listen to an argument to the effect of, "Fans do this at all kinds of sporting events; why should golf be different?"

I like golf precisely because it is NOT like other sporting events. I don't ever want golf to be like football, or basketball, or baseball or hockey.

Of course, my view might not prevail. And the more that Tour golf is televised, and younger fans learn that they can get their 5 seconds of fame on a televised golf event, I'll just turn away from Tour golf. We all have choices; and I can make that choice. USGA events like the US Am, Mid Am and Walker Cup are getting almost no attention compared to events like major championships in California and New York. And those USGA events are being staged at better golf courses and are much easier to attend.

[This is totally a modern problem because of social media that only happens in places like New York. ](https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-04-09-sp-189-story.html "This is totally a modern problem because of social media that only happens in places like New York. ")

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @BiggErn said:

> > @Enduro59 said:

> > > @BiggErn said:

> > > > @Pauly567 said:

> > > > I wanted to see if anyone here attended yesterday's first round , and if so what their thoughts were on the fans? I don't write very many posts on GolfWRX, but I have to say that attending Bethpage yesterday was pretty nauseating to say the least. I'm sure there will be people who throw around words like Snowflake, etc when they read this, but the etiquette or lack there of I witnessed yesterday was deplorable; and it was all under the heading of "Hey, I'm from NY". As someone who grew up on Long Island, I was embarrassed. I stood next to the tee-box on 7 watching Phil, Rory and Kisner come through and wanted to vomit at the stuff that was coming out of some of these people's mouths; and could only imagine what the players were thinking. Then Phil hit the restroom after he teed off, only to return to very specific and graphic questions about what he was doing in there.....there were some other choice remark as well thrown Rory's way.

> > > > That being said, I think I'm venting more on the fact that this has become "acceptable" ... I guess it's just worse in NY because people think that being from NY they just have an excuse to be A--H---e. I was going to take my 5 year old to the tournament yesterday, but I though it would be to long a day for him . I'm glad I made that decision, as I'm not quite sure what I would have said to him at that point when he said, Daddy, why are they yelling those things at them? ...Maybe I just witnessed the worst fans of the week on that particular tee box, but something tell me I'm being being to optimistic.

> > > > I just happen to see the Billy Horshell Incident last week on twitter, and I guess that's what also prompted me to write this. I was in 100% agreement with Billy and his reaction. Reading comments from people om twitter who genuinely believe they have the right to act, say and do anything they want is total Bull---t. Get some manners people...and If you can't control your self when having a few beers, then don't drink. I'm all for cheering, and a little heckling, but there's a line ....and if you don't know where that line is then stay home.

> > >

> > > On the flip side everyone is offended by everything in today’s society as well. If they can’t find something to be offended by they will keep digging. BK himself said it makes golf seem like an actual sporting event. Yes people are loud, obnoxious, and boisterous but as long as they’re not hurting anybody or screaming during someone’s swing who really cares. Alcohol is a big part I’m sure but I guarantee you can throw any hopes of curbing alcohol sales out the window. The PGA exists to make money and as long as people don’t cross an extreme line this is how it’s gonna be.

> > I don't think what we are talking about could be equated with digging to find something to be offended about. Koopeka won so his comments must be taken in that context. Had he lost or let's suppose at the Ryder Cup in Paris last year loud fans relentlessly hurled non stop comments about him or his girlfriend's anatomy or sexual dysfunction he might have a different point of view. I think the PGA tour and most of their advertisers are blinded by greed and fear of a lawsuit by some rowdy poor ole poster child of the pc crowd that gets roughed up by security or removed from an event that they paid their hard earned money to get into. Never mind what the back of the ticket stub has printed in it. Anyway one does not have to be a rocket surgeon to understand that this escalation of behavior, based on statistics (and statistics don't lie) will very soon cross the extreme line you refer too. Do we wait until then or try to alter the outcome while it is still possible?

>

> Except what you’re stating is dealt with at every sporting event, including golf. I have no idea why some people think Golf is some sort of holier than thou event. It’s just a game.

They may have to deal with it but golf and tennis have always tried to maintain control over the fans. If the expectation is set for the participants that there will be near silence during their play then the fans should respect that. If tennis and golf want to change the way their sports are played and become more like a baseball, hockey or football game then the participants need to be told they can no longer expect silence during play. It's not the noise or lack of noise that's the problem it's the silence that is broken by loud screams that causes the golfer to be startled. The 16th hole at Waste Management is an example of how golf in a football atmosphere works, the golfers know up front they will have to hit their tee shots in the chaos.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

> @bladehunter said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> >

> >

>

You going to start telling folks to quiet down at a NFL game because their yelling bothers you? You want $10M purses, you get sports fans in attendance.