2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

I was embarrassed to be at Bethpage...

Pauly567

Rory will be a target and I know he doesn't like those kind of crowds, his comments (or lack of) are telling:

Then McIlroy was asked what he expects from the fans in 2024. Fresh off the course and having just experienced 18 holes of the Long Island faithful, McIlroy went a different route than the thoughtful one. "No comment," he said. - golf digest.com

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> Rory will be a target and I know he doesn't like those kind of crowds, his comments (or lack of) are telling:

>

> Then McIlroy was asked what he expects from the fans in 2024. Fresh off the course and having just experienced 18 holes of the Long Island faithful, McIlroy went a different route than the thoughtful one. "No comment," he said. - golf digest.com

we cheered/routed him on -- there were a few near us tho that were, well, we'll say they weren't huge fans. a guy next to me yelled "get used to it rory - it's how the ryder's gonna be"

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @bladehunter said:

> I tell you what. You couldn’t pay for my airfare , tickets , meals and time off work and get me to attend that Ryder cup . And that’s alone. If I had my family with me I wouldn’t even go into the parking lot.

Cmon up! We go early, I know a couple of key spots to watch from now. See Tigerrrr! Be like,

"USA! USA! Go home Poulter. Wait, you live in Florida!"

Then, go for scotches and steaks at Delmonicos!

Nuff said

I spotted one of these GETINDword not allowed idiots in the wild at the Memorial Tournament in Dublin. Situated about 20 yds from the tee box ropes, he stood on level ground but wobbled drunkenly as if he were on the deck of a small craft during a gale. He listened for the *tink* of the driver impact then screamed his pet phrase like a beagle howling at the sky. Extremely satisfied with himself, he looked around to see if anyone had noticed his performance.

I promised myself then and there that if I were ever standing next to - and especially behind - a screamer that I would pour the contents of any beverage at hand down his neck and claim that I was startled by his sudden noise. The good news is that several live tournaments later this scenario has not arisen. Lucky for now.

Television production types have the ability to mute the boom mics after impact or overlay sound to mask the shouting. I'm almost positive this was done at the last Ryder Cup and even on at least PGA TOUR event - mostly to keep the players' own profanity off the air after a wayward shot. The point is that removing the reinforcement - I was heard on teevee! - is the first step to correcting the behavior. Conditioning works both ways.

The second utterly ridiculous state of affairs is security or the lack thereof. Marshals are facing the crowd on every shot to quiet them with hands raised - which means they are close enough to point the screamers out to security and/or police. And speaking of police, golf tournaments now resemble a presidential visit with all the plainclothes and uniformed cops. Ostensibly they are there to intercede in the event of a crazed Monica Seles-type attack by a spectator but beyond that they seem to serve no purpose except to have a nice inside the ropes view. Why are the cops watching the golf shots? Why are they not getting involved early and often in identifying and chucking out louts and loudmouths? If the private Pinkertons can manage The Masters why are the public police not doing the jobs for which they are paid?

Beyond that, a staged, pro-wrestling style eviction of a planted screamer would put the frighteners on the rest of the attendees and word of it would, hopefully, spread like wildfire through the gallery.

Perhaps trying to eliminate the boors is like pushing the ocean back with a broom but it's well past time to do something - anything - about it.

• Like 1

> @bigchucksr said:

> > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > @bigchucksr said:

> > > > @bubbagump said:

> > > > > @bigchucksr said:

> > > > > **Clearly something needs to be done.** This isn't a New York or Long Island problem--it started during that absolute joke of the 16th hole in Phoenix and has gotten worse as the years have gone by.

> > > > > For me it has made watching tournaments a difficult process--so much time I have the sound muted just to be able to watch the matches.

> > > > > I'm sure the venues are not willing to give up the income from the alcohol sales and are reluctant to pass up the ticket sales from the drunk idiots but the noise, disruption, and rudeness are so alien to most of us had considered golf a staid quiet game.

> > > > > Eventually the PGA and the players have to make a decision about the direction they want to take this self created mess.

> > > > > Augusta does not tolerate the behavior so whatever method(s) they use at the venue should be applied to ALL tournaments and a good start would be that aforementioned 16th hole at the start of the year.

> > > > > **We all need to get involved if we want to enjoy our game in decency.**

> > > >

> > > > No it doesn't, and No we dont. Just because a segment doesn't care for something doesn't mean its wrong or bad or going in the wrong direction. If you find to it to be so terrible and are triggered, then dont go or watch but to act as if people need to band together to stop something because you dont like it is silly.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Nothing wrong with drunk, loud mouth, vulgar, young white men in a public place disregarding the vast majority of the spectators wishes to enjoy the match in peace without their antics? I'd like to see you make a logical argument that would make such behavior acceptable out side a bar or insane asylum.

> > > Please do not, for the sake of teasing a weasel, try to make this a "no big deal" thing--it absolutely pertains to the game we enjoy so much and the future of that game.

> >

> > You lost me at young white men. I didn’t know golf spectators were limited to a certain race or color. I don’t know what kind of golf you were watching, but the galleries were pretty diverse at the PGA, as in most PGA tour stops.

> >

> > Thank you for using the lowest common denominator available to make your case. Not everything is about race, sometimes is about character, regardless of race or color.

> >

>

> You are welcome since these white young men (review your tapes of the crowd) are indeed the lowest common denominator and I use "race" to make my point and to explain, in my opinion, as to why we are seeing this crap at tournaments--these wannabe thugs have found their venue for showing their asses. Please don't go hiding in Political Correctness B.S. probably 4.5% of the human race really believes that the "correctness" is legitimate and the rest of us see PC for what it is--a silencer. Doesn't work on me--there are many differences and I see 'em and so, probably, do you.

>

It's a rare talent to be able to insult both white & black people in the same thread. Well done, sir!

• Like 1

This has gotten to be a long thread and I haven't the time to read all of it, but I've seen a lot of comments that encourage me about the views of the GolfWRX readership.

Long Island is home to the greatest concentration of great historic golf courses in the country. And now, apparently the greatest concentration of loutish sports fans. I won't call them "golf fans" because I expect that the people in question are more likely to go to a Jets game than a golf tournament.

Harold Varner III is now commenting on hearing the "fans" yelling at Brooks Koepka to choke. Someone already observed what a disaster that Long Island "fans" could be for the Bethpage Ryder Cup. I sadly agree. And while it might be the same for a major at Winged Foot or Baltusrol (and there have been elements of that in the past), it is most pronounced on Long Island.

If we eliminated the number of ugly fan incidents on the PGA Tour concentrated in the events staged in metropolitan NYC, and Southern California, what would be left? Any?

> @chillybilly said:

> I spotted one of these GETINDword not allowed idiots in the wild at the Memorial Tournament in Dublin. Situated about 20 yds from the tee box ropes, he stood on level ground but wobbled drunkenly as if he were on the deck of a small craft during a gale. He listened for the *tink* of the driver impact then screamed his pet phrase like a beagle howling at the sky. Extremely satisfied with himself, he looked around to see if anyone had noticed his performance.

>

> I promised myself then and there that if I were ever standing next to - and especially behind - a screamer that I would pour the contents of any beverage at hand down his neck and claim that I was startled by his sudden noise. The good news is that several live tournaments later this scenario has not arisen. Lucky for now.

>

> Television production types have the ability to mute the boom mics after impact or overlay sound to mask the shouting. I'm almost positive this was done at the last Ryder Cup and even on at least PGA TOUR event - mostly to keep the players' own profanity off the air after a wayward shot. The point is that removing the reinforcement - I was heard on teevee! - is the first step to correcting the behavior. Conditioning works both ways.

>

> The second utterly ridiculous state of affairs is security or the lack thereof. Marshals are facing the crowd on every shot to quiet them with hands raised - which means they are close enough to point the screamers out to security and/or police. And speaking of police, golf tournaments now resemble a presidential visit with all the plainclothes and uniformed cops. Ostensibly they are they are intercede in the event of a crazed Monica Seles-type attack by a spectator but beyond that they seem to serve no purpose except to have a nice inside the ropes view. Why are the cops watching the golf shots? Why are they not getting involved early and often in identifying and chucking out louts and loudmouths? If the private Pinkertons can manage The Masters why are the public police not doing the jobs for which they are paid?

>

> Beyond that, a staged, pro-wrestling style eviction of a planted screamer would put the frighteners on the rest of the attendees and word of it would, hopefully, spread like wildfire through the gallery.

>

> Perhaps trying to eliminate the boors is like pushing the ocean back with a broom but it's well past time to do something - anything - about it.

This right here is probably the most well-crafted first post on any forum as you're likely to find.

> @GSDriver said:

> Each PGA event I've seen at Bethpage, fans must think they're in Phoenix (which is a fun one), but majors it's kind of sad, yet in the time we live, people are too focused on themselves to consider anyone else within ear shot.

I submit that the female scenery in Phoenix is a (possible) reasonable counterweight to the drunken male antics. Long Island filly plowhorses offered no such currency.

> @ilikegolf26 said:

> > @bubbagump said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > Pretty big majority here would agree that the behavior is not wanted. Simple as that.

> >

> > Thats cool, but the "majority" on a golf forum means nothing in the grand scheme of this. I have no problem with marshall's tossing folks who are ridiculous and deserving of so, however it just sounds as the stuffy crowd seems to think that anybody that isn't viewing the way they would, its not wanted or wrong. Some comments in this thread come off as very closed minded: So what if people want to get a video of Tiger teeing off, or trying to get pics of a player or taping every second.....doesn't mean they aren't "living in the moment" . So what if they want to yell "babooey", I wouldn't do it but suit yourself if you do it when allowed. Want to drink at a event that sells alcohol, go for it. If you get drunk and act a fool, thats on you and deal with it if you're kicked out.

> >

> > Plus at most concerts/games/tournaments, the reality is it is usually a much much smaller portion who cant control themselves. If you're really that "embarrassed" by others actions that you cant watch the tournament on tv, or makes you not want to go witness an epic performance by Brooks so far in person, thats your own decision, but plenty of others can still do so fine and it doesn't mean action has to be taken.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> I wouldnt say the attitudes of this forum “mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.” The people on this forum make up actual paying customers in the present and future at PGA and other golf related events. **Some clown that got tickets from work to today’s round and won’t watch or attend another golf tournament for the next decade ( the vast majority of spectators this week at Bethpage) is not someone you are placating over the average golfwrx member.** So I think your post is way off.

I mean this, with 100% sincerity, but this is a Tiger effect.

I don't recall in 1995 (Pre Tiger) the crowd at Shinnecock being crazy. They used to play yearly up at Westchester for one of the Buick events, were the crowds this bad pre Tiger?

I'm not saying it's his fault; obviously, it isn't. But when Tiger made golf "Cool" This is what happened.

The so called banter of the Long Island golf crowds is so contrived at this point. After a missed putt yesterday I heard "That's OK DJ, I still like your hat!!!" I mean, what the hell kind of a cheer is that? My point is that the cheers aren't even really about the golfer anymore. It's all about Meeeeeeeeeeeee. I could swear these people wrote down lines and practiced them at home before coming to the course. I can take bababooeys or get in the hole, but if this is the new direction of golf fandom, I don't think I have any craps left to give.

> @chillybilly said:

>Why are the cops watching the golf shots? Why are they not getting involved early and often in identifying and chucking out louts and loudmouths? If the private Pinkertons can manage The Masters why are the public police not doing the jobs for which they are paid?

>

>

Because it's not illegal to act like a moron at a golf tournament?

> @KillerPenguin said:

> > @chillybilly said:

> >Why are the cops watching the golf shots? Why are they not getting involved early and often in identifying and chucking out louts and loudmouths? If the private Pinkertons can manage The Masters why are the public police not doing the jobs for which they are paid?

> >

> >

> Because it's not illegal to act like a moron at a golf tournament?

>

Nothing to due with illegality. PGA has right to exit anyone for misbehavior.

> @mocokid said:

> > @KillerPenguin said:

> > > @chillybilly said:

> > >Why are the cops watching the golf shots? Why are they not getting involved early and often in identifying and chucking out louts and loudmouths? If the private Pinkertons can manage The Masters why are the public police not doing the jobs for which they are paid?

> > >

> > >

> > Because it's not illegal to act like a moron at a golf tournament?

> >

>

> Nothing to due with illegality. PGA has right to exit anyone for misbehavior.

...except the PGA is laughing all the way to the bank. those beers they drink were upwards of $16/each; and everyone was drinkin yesterday for the most part.

why remove more profit from the event?

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @mocokid said:

> > @KillerPenguin said:

> > > @chillybilly said:

> > >Why are the cops watching the golf shots? Why are they not getting involved early and often in identifying and chucking out louts and loudmouths? If the private Pinkertons can manage The Masters why are the public police not doing the jobs for which they are paid?

> > >

> > >

> >

>

> Nothing to due with illegality. PGA has right to exit anyone for misbehavior.

I don't disagree, but he mentioned the "public police." If he thinks people should be arrested for drunkenly yelling after a golf shot, I disagree.

> @"15th Club" said:

> This has gotten to be a long thread and I haven't the time to read all of it, but I've seen a lot of comments that encourage me about the views of the GolfWRX readership.

> Long Island is home to the greatest concentration of great historic golf courses in the country. And now, apparently the greatest concentration of loutish sports fans. I won't call them "golf fans" because I expect that the people in question are more likely to go to a Jets game than a golf tournament.

> Harold Varner III is now commenting on hearing the "fans" yelling at Brooks Koepka to choke. Someone already observed what a disaster that Long Island "fans" could be for the Bethpage Ryder Cup. I sadly agree. And while it might be the same for a major at Winged Foot or Baltusrol (and there have been elements of that in the past), it is most pronounced on Long Island.

> If we eliminated the number of ugly fan incidents on the PGA Tour concentrated in the events staged in metropolitan NYC, and Southern California, what would be left? Any?

>

NY Fans are tough, they aren't easy to win over but once you do, they will be fans for life unless you really mess up. I don't condone their actions, but they usually represent the thoughts many have but are a bit too classy to say. I like Brooks, he's a great golfer with ice in his veins but he has kept the media and fans at a distance and that's why I believe the fans were cheering for someone else at the end. There has been no emotional investment on either side. He did a great job in his post win press conference which I'm sure will endear him to the NY crowds next time he's here.

As for Ryder Cup, I'd suggest the European team forfeit now and save themselves the agony and ridicule of playing in front of a hostile NY crowd, it's not going to be pretty.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

> @KillerPenguin said:

> > @mocokid said:

> > > @KillerPenguin said:

> > > > @chillybilly said:

> > > >Why are the cops watching the golf shots? Why are they not getting involved early and often in identifying and chucking out louts and loudmouths? If the private Pinkertons can manage The Masters why are the public police not doing the jobs for which they are paid?

> > > >

> > > >

> > > Because it's not illegal to act like a moron at a golf tournament?

> > >

> >

> > Nothing to due with illegality. PGA has right to exit anyone for misbehavior.

>

> I don't disagree, but he mentioned the "public police." If he thinks people should be arrested for drunkenly yelling after a golf shot, I disagree.

Also, if anyone is thinking "why not arrest these idiots for public intoxication in a state park," in New York, so long as the intoxicant is alcohol, you can't be arrested for for being drunk in public. Perhaps Bethpage State Park has some special rules about alcohol, but, if so, they weren't enforced this weekend.

> @KillerPenguin said:

> > @chillybilly said:

> >Why are the cops watching the golf shots? Why are they not getting involved early and often in identifying and chucking out louts and loudmouths? If the private Pinkertons can manage The Masters why are the public police not doing the jobs for which they are paid?

> >

> >

> Because it's not illegal to act like a moron at a golf tournament?

>

Not necessarily "the cops." At least not at first. The cops are the second or third line of defense.

Here is how it should work. (1) A loudmouthed fan is yelling something that is inappropriate for a golf tournament. (2) The people around him tell him to knock it off. (3) He continues to do it. (4) Someone calls security or a Marshal over, and a large handful of people all say to the Marshal that the guy in question is being an intolerable jerk. (5) The Marshal, or other security, tells the guy to knock it off or else he will be ejected. (6) The guy continues to do it. (7) Security is called back, and they immediately tell the guy to leave the property. (8) The guy says that it's a free country and that he yells all the time at Mets, Jets and Nets games. (9) Security tells him that on the back of his ticket it says that his ticket is only a license, that his behavior needs to conform to the host organization's wishes and that while it is a free country, it is not a free event.

And then, (10) the police are called and at the request of security, they waste no time in escorting the guy off the property.

> @Ferguson said:

> Someone told Suzy Whaley to "c'mon bark like a dog for me"

> That's when I went to mute.

>

>

Shouldn’t have got past dog ,before the Baton hit his teeth.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I took my family to the BMW Championship at Aronimink last year just outside of Philadelphia. I've been to every major Philly sports venue and the crowds are fully capable of living up to their reputation, especially Eagles fans. Tiger's group was mobbed and the place was absolutely packed. We posted up by the second green, 3rd/8th tee box and watched for about 2 1/2 hours. In that time, I heard 1 person make a benign pancake house joke while Tiger was on the 8th tee, other than that it was a very respectful crowd.

Contrast that experience with yesterday where Jordan Spieth couldn't even make it down the first hole without getting mercilessly heckled, people shouting for Brooks to choke and shouting at the top of DJ's backswing down the stretch and I don't think it's unfair to infer there is a cultural difference between what went on in Long Island and my experience immersed in what is commonly referred to as one of the most vile fan bases in all of sports in Philadelphia. I've seen fist fights between Eagles fans in the seats of the stadium and was far more embarrassed listening to the crowd at Bethpage than I was in South Philly. Maybe that's a result of a difference in expectations between what is acceptable behavior when attending a football game vs. a PGA Tour event, but I tend to believe if last weeks performance was the norm at the ladder of the two we wouldn't be talking about it right now.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

I’ve said it several times in other threads. I stoppped going to live concerts about 5 years ago due to this crap. The last straw was taking my then 6 year old to see a country act perform ( his fav at the time ). Not my favorite artist. But wasn’t my treat. Was his. So I got first row center balcony seats. In the arena we where in they have a balcony that has 6 rows as a middle section. With an upper cheap seat balcony above and floor seats below. So I figured the best seats for no drunks. Wrong. Sooooo wrong. We had a super drunk 50 something directly to my right with his lady friend. He’s up dancing before the show starts. So I put my boy in the middle and I take the right shielding my family from him. All show he dances into me . Eventually spilling a whole beer onto the floor and his wife’s purse. My kid has to sit and put his feet up to avoid the pool. Three times this a****** dances in front of me (literally a foot from my knee to the railing ) nearly falling in my lap. I fought off the urge to push him over the rail several times. He yelled “ F yeah “ before during and after every song. And last straw was when he went for his last piss break. He came back and as he came by he rubs my kids head hard and long and just smiles at my glare. My wife grabs my arm and says “ let’s go”. I followed. She knew he was close. Sooooo close. This was a George Straight concert. Over half the songs were single singer songs with acoustic guitar on a stool. If you can’t take a kid to that concert. You can’t take a kid anywhere. It’s not about him seeing drunks. You can learn from that. It’s that this a****** basically sat on my lap for 2 hours because he knew that he law protected him and that I couldn’t legally do a thing. And I’m a big dude I could have done lots of things. What would he have done to a lady ? People. Devolving before our eyes.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > Someone told Suzy Whaley to "c'mon bark like a dog for me"

> > That's when I went to mute.

> >

> >

>

> Shouldn’t have got past dog ,before the Baton hit his teeth.

Reprehensible? Yes. Worthy of being punched in the mouth by Bill Whaley? Have at it. Smashed in the face with a police baton? Absolutely not. What kind of police state do you fantasize about living in?

> @"15th Club" said:

> > @KillerPenguin said:

> > > @chillybilly said:

> > >

> > >

> >

>

> Not necessarily "the cops." At least not at first. The cops are the second or third line of defense.

> Here is how it should work. (1) A loudmouthed fan is yelling something that is inappropriate for a golf tournament. (2) The people around him tell him to knock it off. (3) He continues to do it. (4) Someone calls security or a Marshal over, and a large handful of people all say to the Marshal that the guy in question is being an intolerable jerk. (5) The Marshal, or other security, tells the guy to knock it off or else he will be ejected. (6) The guy continues to do it. (7) Security is called back, and they immediately tell the guy to leave the property. (8) The guy says that it's a free country and that he yells all the time at Mets, Jets and Nets games. (9) Security tells him that on the back of his ticket it says that his ticket is only a license, that his behavior needs to conform to the host organization's wishes and that while it is a free country, it is not a free event.

> And then, (10) the police are called and at the request of security, they waste no time in escorting the guy off the property.

You're delusional if you think people around drunk loudmouths are going to tell them to knock it off (unless they are drunk too). Most are not going to risk getting into a physical altercation or getting thrown out of the venue to do the job the security and the police are there to do. The easiest way to get people to behave appropriately is to ban alcohol on the premises, but they make a ton of money selling beer so that's not likely going to happen.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

> @KillerPenguin said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > Someone told Suzy Whaley to "c'mon bark like a dog for me"

> > > That's when I went to mute.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Shouldn’t have got past dog ,before the Baton hit his teeth.

>

> Reprehensible? Yes. Worthy of being punched in the mouth by Bill Whaley? Have at it. Smashed in the face with a police baton? Absolutely not. What kind of police state do you fantasize about living in?

I’m fine with a fist. But. You can only do that so many times with a fist. At some point you have to go to something that is more durable.

People mistake this for want of police state. I’m not your police cheerleader. Not at all. I long for The days when “ simple assault ” ( meaning a fist fight) was a $50 fine and wasn’t a felony. Respect is a learned behavior.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @"15th Club" said:

> This has gotten to be a long thread and I haven't the time to read all of it, but I've seen a lot of comments that encourage me about the views of the GolfWRX readership.

> Long Island is home to the greatest concentration of great historic golf courses in the country. And now, apparently the greatest concentration of loutish sports fans. I won't call them "golf fans" because I expect that the people in question are more likely to go to a Jets game than a golf tournament.

> Harold Varner III is now commenting on hearing the "fans" yelling at Brooks Koepka to choke. Someone already observed what a disaster that Long Island "fans" could be for the Bethpage Ryder Cup. I sadly agree. And while it might be the same for a major at Winged Foot or Baltusrol (and there have been elements of that in the past), it is most pronounced on Long Island.

> If we eliminated the number of ugly fan incidents on the PGA Tour concentrated in the events staged in metropolitan NYC, and Southern California, what would be left? Any?

>

I don't think anybody other than the locals would notice if we never played another event in NYC.

> @new2g0lf said:

> You're delusional if you think people around drunk loudmouths are going to tell them to knock it off (unless they are drunk too). Most are not going to risk getting into a physical altercation or getting thrown out of the venue to do the job the security and the police are there to do. **The easiest way to get people to behave appropriately is to ban alcohol on the premises, but they make a ton of money selling beer so that's not likely going to happen. **

I don't agree. You can buy beer at the Masters and they have no fan problems. Obnoxious idiots are obnoxious idiots with or without alcohol.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @new2g0lf said:

> > You're delusional if you think people around drunk loudmouths are going to tell them to knock it off (unless they are drunk too). Most are not going to risk getting into a physical altercation or getting thrown out of the venue to do the job the security and the police are there to do. **The easiest way to get people to behave appropriately is to ban alcohol on the premises, but they make a ton of money selling beer so that's not likely going to happen. **

> I don't agree. You can buy beer at the Masters and they have no fan problems. Obnoxious idiots are obnoxious idiots with or without alcohol.

>

The Master is a completely different venue and situation. You have to win a lottery just to get a ticket, you know going in there is zero tolerance for poor behavior. The entire culture around the event is different from every other golf tournament.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX