2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Pros and others throw USGA under the bus.

Darth Putter

> @Golfer4Life said:

> Watching the Women's U.S. Open and now I understand why the USGA is a destructive force in golf. Basically they are like an Egyptian plague, the pick a course, kill it, and move on?????

What exactly is the problem there? It looked great to me.

• Like 1

> @Golfer4Life said:

> Watching the Women's U.S. Open and now I understand why the USGA is a destructive force in golf. Basically they are like an Egyptian plague, the pick a course, kill it, and move on?????

That's all Bermuda. Put some water on it, and it will be fine. Looked ok to me.

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @Golfer4Life said:

> > Watching the Women's U.S. Open and now I understand why the USGA is a destructive force in golf. Basically they are like an Egyptian plague, the pick a course, kill it, and move on?????

>

> Please tell me this is sarcasm.

Not at all, just my opinion.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

> @nsxguy said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > You guys aren’t seriously going to claim USGA supreme leaders and then same breath act as if they have no influence over all majors / large events etc ? Can’t really be boss and not partially responsible too.

> > > >

> > > > You really are prone to hyperbole, aren't you ?

> > > >

> > > > Please point out just ONE poster who's proclaimed the USGA "Superme Leader" and/or said anything even CLOSE to "The USGA is always right. They never do anything wrong."

> > > >

> > > > Yet there seems to be no shortage of posters here who seem to blame the USGA for "everything"; even while one or two, like yourself, occasionally, though seemingly grudgingly, admit they sometimes get "something" right. Sounds like those who admit that though (most won't) are getting multiple teeth pulled. LOL

> > > >

> > >

> > > I'd say the arrogance of the USGA is probably one of the biggest factors afflicting us haters. If the USGA just came out hat-in-hand and said "wow, we really messed this up. Sorry everyone, we will learn from our mistakes and not do this again in the future" then I think we'd be coming froma difference place.

> > >

> > > But they don't do that. And at the opposite end of the spectrum on this board there is a lot of "well why don't YOU try to run a national champiionship!" which can come across as a pretty weak excuse that is entirely besides the point.

> >

> > Bingo. They deny deny deny .... then deflect deflect deflect. I mean they’ve blamed screw ups on rogue greens staff ( which is impossible ) for Pete’s sake. And lately they flat lied about what Justin Thomas has said. And when called out finally backed off and just played like the scenario never happened. That’s the root of the issue of hate. It’s arrogance which breeds mistrust. And the Hilarious part of the level of public mistrust is up there with companies selling pain meds and carnival barkers. And that’s funny to me because in theory they aren’t really selling us anything. At least they shouldn’t be. Just producing a great championship. Shouldn’t really be hard with the budget they have to work with. Now I’m not saying it’s not work. But work doesn’t have to be difficult

>

> Re: Justin Thomas. What did they "lie" about ? "You've canceled every meeting" ? That was a POKE/JOKE. A poor one but a joke nevertheless. Most likely by some underling that had some control of the twitter(?) account. Not any more but at the time,,,,,,, LOL

>

> "_Justin, we need to talk," read the USGA statement. "You’ve cancelled every meeting we’ve planned with you, but we are reaching out again. We were at the first 5 events, and tournaments last year, and your tour has had a seat at the table for 7 years. We’d love nothing more than to give you a seat. Call us_."

>

> In response to Justin's whining somebody at the USGA (did that ever come out ? WHO tweeted that ?), annoyed when they should have just kept quiet, "poked" JT, just like pretty much ALL of us "poke" each other. It was a JOKE. A poor joke/poke but that's all it was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or did I miss an additional story ?

>

> And they "backtracked" ??? More with the words. You say "deny, deny, deny" and "deflect, deflect, deflect". They admitted their mistake. But for YOU it's "backtracking" ? LOL Where did the deny it ? Where did they deflect anything ? "Backed off like nothing happened" ???

>

> "_After further and more direct conversations with @JustinThomas34, we realize he did not avoid a discussion with the USGA nor cancel any meetings. We value his and all players’ opinions and are committed to a productive dialogue as the golf world adjusts to the modernized rules_."

>

> So they admitted the prior tweet was (partially) factually incorrect. But that's not good enough for you.

>

> And WHY do such entities not often engage in these back-and-forths ? Because there's NO upside. They can't win. They stay quiet and don't engage the haterz or say "Yes sir", "Sorry sir" "We'll try harder sir". And then they're arrogant and non-responsive. LMAO They apologize/explain/whatever and you're mad at them for "backtracking" (or whatever else you want to call it).

>

> You want them to apologize and/or admit their mistake(s) and just as the A.S. of wrx, as above, can't take an apology and let it go, neither can you - they're "backtracking".

>

> This is why celebrities and major corporations, for the most part, have to suck it up; "shut up and take it". Them feeding the trolls usually only makes it worse. So they (mostly), if they have any brains, stay quiet. So, the whiners get ignored; as it should be.

I couldn’t read past joke.

On no planet in this solar system was that ever not serious. It’s as if they thought he arranges and handles his own phone calls , messages and meetings and wouldn’t be able to prove the accusation wrong.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @caniac6 said:

> > @Golfer4Life said:

> > Watching the Women's U.S. Open and now I understand why the USGA is a destructive force in golf. Basically they are like an Egyptian plague, the pick a course, kill it, and move on?????

>

> That's all Bermuda. Put some water on it, and it will be fine. Looked ok to me.

Lol. Yep. 2 days rain and you’d cut 2 inches off the fairways. Looked fine to me too

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > You guys aren’t seriously going to claim USGA supreme leaders and then same breath act as if they have no influence over all majors / large events etc ? Can’t really be boss and not partially responsible too.

> > > > >

> > > > > You really are prone to hyperbole, aren't you ?

> > > > >

> > > > > Please point out just ONE poster who's proclaimed the USGA "Superme Leader" and/or said anything even CLOSE to "The USGA is always right. They never do anything wrong."

> > > > >

> > > > > Yet there seems to be no shortage of posters here who seem to blame the USGA for "everything"; even while one or two, like yourself, occasionally, though seemingly grudgingly, admit they sometimes get "something" right. Sounds like those who admit that though (most won't) are getting multiple teeth pulled. LOL

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I'd say the arrogance of the USGA is probably one of the biggest factors afflicting us haters. If the USGA just came out hat-in-hand and said "wow, we really messed this up. Sorry everyone, we will learn from our mistakes and not do this again in the future" then I think we'd be coming froma difference place.

> > > >

> > > > But they don't do that. And at the opposite end of the spectrum on this board there is a lot of "well why don't YOU try to run a national champiionship!" which can come across as a pretty weak excuse that is entirely besides the point.

> > >

> > > Bingo. They deny deny deny .... then deflect deflect deflect. I mean they’ve blamed screw ups on rogue greens staff ( which is impossible ) for Pete’s sake. And lately they flat lied about what Justin Thomas has said. And when called out finally backed off and just played like the scenario never happened. That’s the root of the issue of hate. It’s arrogance which breeds mistrust. And the Hilarious part of the level of public mistrust is up there with companies selling pain meds and carnival barkers. And that’s funny to me because in theory they aren’t really selling us anything. At least they shouldn’t be. Just producing a great championship. Shouldn’t really be hard with the budget they have to work with. Now I’m not saying it’s not work. But work doesn’t have to be difficult

> >

> > Re: Justin Thomas. What did they "lie" about ? "You've canceled every meeting" ? That was a POKE/JOKE. A poor one but a joke nevertheless. Most likely by some underling that had some control of the twitter(?) account. Not any more but at the time,,,,,,, LOL

> >

> > "_Justin, we need to talk," read the USGA statement. "You’ve cancelled every meeting we’ve planned with you, but we are reaching out again. We were at the first 5 events, and tournaments last year, and your tour has had a seat at the table for 7 years. We’d love nothing more than to give you a seat. Call us_."

> >

> > In response to Justin's whining somebody at the USGA (did that ever come out ? WHO tweeted that ?), annoyed when they should have just kept quiet, "poked" JT, just like pretty much ALL of us "poke" each other. It was a JOKE. A poor joke/poke but that's all it was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or did I miss an additional story ?

> >

> > And they "backtracked" ??? More with the words. You say "deny, deny, deny" and "deflect, deflect, deflect". They admitted their mistake. But for YOU it's "backtracking" ? LOL Where did the deny it ? Where did they deflect anything ? "Backed off like nothing happened" ???

> >

> > "_After further and more direct conversations with @JustinThomas34, we realize he did not avoid a discussion with the USGA nor cancel any meetings. We value his and all players’ opinions and are committed to a productive dialogue as the golf world adjusts to the modernized rules_."

> >

> > So they admitted the prior tweet was (partially) factually incorrect. But that's not good enough for you.

> >

> > And WHY do such entities not often engage in these back-and-forths ? Because there's NO upside. They can't win. They stay quiet and don't engage the haterz or say "Yes sir", "Sorry sir" "We'll try harder sir". And then they're arrogant and non-responsive. LMAO They apologize/explain/whatever and you're mad at them for "backtracking" (or whatever else you want to call it).

> >

> > You want them to apologize and/or admit their mistake(s) and just as the A.S. of wrx, as above, can't take an apology and let it go, neither can you - they're "backtracking".

> >

> > This is why celebrities and major corporations, for the most part, have to suck it up; "shut up and take it". Them feeding the trolls usually only makes it worse. So they (mostly), if they have any brains, stay quiet. So, the whiners get ignored; as it should be.

>

> I couldn’t read past joke.

>

> On no planet in this solar system was that ever not serious. It’s as if they thought he arranges and handles his own phone calls , messages and meetings and wouldn’t be able to prove the accusation wrong.

Yeah, I forgot about your A.D.D.

"On no planet" ? The very beginning "Justin, we need to talk" suggests to me a poke/joke.

We shall have to agree to disagree.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

> @nsxguy said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > You guys aren’t seriously going to claim USGA supreme leaders and then same breath act as if they have no influence over all majors / large events etc ? Can’t really be boss and not partially responsible too.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You really are prone to hyperbole, aren't you ?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Please point out just ONE poster who's proclaimed the USGA "Superme Leader" and/or said anything even CLOSE to "The USGA is always right. They never do anything wrong."

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yet there seems to be no shortage of posters here who seem to blame the USGA for "everything"; even while one or two, like yourself, occasionally, though seemingly grudgingly, admit they sometimes get "something" right. Sounds like those who admit that though (most won't) are getting multiple teeth pulled. LOL

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I'd say the arrogance of the USGA is probably one of the biggest factors afflicting us haters. If the USGA just came out hat-in-hand and said "wow, we really messed this up. Sorry everyone, we will learn from our mistakes and not do this again in the future" then I think we'd be coming froma difference place.

> > > > >

> > > > > But they don't do that. And at the opposite end of the spectrum on this board there is a lot of "well why don't YOU try to run a national champiionship!" which can come across as a pretty weak excuse that is entirely besides the point.

> > > >

> > > > Bingo. They deny deny deny .... then deflect deflect deflect. I mean they’ve blamed screw ups on rogue greens staff ( which is impossible ) for Pete’s sake. And lately they flat lied about what Justin Thomas has said. And when called out finally backed off and just played like the scenario never happened. That’s the root of the issue of hate. It’s arrogance which breeds mistrust. And the Hilarious part of the level of public mistrust is up there with companies selling pain meds and carnival barkers. And that’s funny to me because in theory they aren’t really selling us anything. At least they shouldn’t be. Just producing a great championship. Shouldn’t really be hard with the budget they have to work with. Now I’m not saying it’s not work. But work doesn’t have to be difficult

> > >

> > > Re: Justin Thomas. What did they "lie" about ? "You've canceled every meeting" ? That was a POKE/JOKE. A poor one but a joke nevertheless. Most likely by some underling that had some control of the twitter(?) account. Not any more but at the time,,,,,,, LOL

> > >

> > > "_Justin, we need to talk," read the USGA statement. "You’ve cancelled every meeting we’ve planned with you, but we are reaching out again. We were at the first 5 events, and tournaments last year, and your tour has had a seat at the table for 7 years. We’d love nothing more than to give you a seat. Call us_."

> > >

> > > In response to Justin's whining somebody at the USGA (did that ever come out ? WHO tweeted that ?), annoyed when they should have just kept quiet, "poked" JT, just like pretty much ALL of us "poke" each other. It was a JOKE. A poor joke/poke but that's all it was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or did I miss an additional story ?

> > >

> > > And they "backtracked" ??? More with the words. You say "deny, deny, deny" and "deflect, deflect, deflect". They admitted their mistake. But for YOU it's "backtracking" ? LOL Where did the deny it ? Where did they deflect anything ? "Backed off like nothing happened" ???

> > >

> > > "_After further and more direct conversations with @JustinThomas34, we realize he did not avoid a discussion with the USGA nor cancel any meetings. We value his and all players’ opinions and are committed to a productive dialogue as the golf world adjusts to the modernized rules_."

> > >

> > > So they admitted the prior tweet was (partially) factually incorrect. But that's not good enough for you.

> > >

> > > And WHY do such entities not often engage in these back-and-forths ? Because there's NO upside. They can't win. They stay quiet and don't engage the haterz or say "Yes sir", "Sorry sir" "We'll try harder sir". And then they're arrogant and non-responsive. LMAO They apologize/explain/whatever and you're mad at them for "backtracking" (or whatever else you want to call it).

> > >

> > > You want them to apologize and/or admit their mistake(s) and just as the A.S. of wrx, as above, can't take an apology and let it go, neither can you - they're "backtracking".

> > >

> > > This is why celebrities and major corporations, for the most part, have to suck it up; "shut up and take it". Them feeding the trolls usually only makes it worse. So they (mostly), if they have any brains, stay quiet. So, the whiners get ignored; as it should be.

> >

> > I couldn’t read past joke.

> >

> > On no planet in this solar system was that ever not serious. It’s as if they thought he arranges and handles his own phone calls , messages and meetings and wouldn’t be able to prove the accusation wrong.

>

> Yeah, I forgot about your A.D.D.

>

> "On no planet" ? The very beginning "Justin, we need to talk" suggests to me a poke/joke.

>

> We shall have to agree to disagree.

lol. Wasn’t attention span this time. Just my baloney meter pegged and I had to stop to recalibrate the function before I could read further.

Look. The USga has serious case of little man syndrome at the helm. And as much as these tour Guys whine , they aren’t all off base. You can’t logically say that it’s all made up nonsense. If so why don’t we hear the Rand A or the pga downgraded the same way ? Each has made mistakes as we’ve pointed out here. And yet their reputations stay intact .... why ? It has to be that they handle their situations differently. I wonder how so ? Maybe it’s with a touch of humility and another touch of explanation plus plans to not recreate those same or similar mistakes next year ?

In short. It’s an easy fix. But without the fix it remains a large problem.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @davep043 said:

> > @Golfer4Life said:

>

> What exactly is the problem there? It looked great to me.

No problem whatsoever. The players had positive reviews of the course and the set up. It looked fine on TV, even with a lot of brown areas. The Southeast had endured a heat wave before the tournament. The course was difficult and fast, but not crazy. It was a wonderful major championship course for the ladies.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @caniac6 said:

> > @Golfer4Life said:

>

> That's all Bermuda. Put some water on it, and it will be fine. Looked ok to me.

Looks like they went a little heavy on the milky spore powder.

> @gvogel said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > Watching the Women's U.S. Open and now I understand why the USGA is a destructive force in golf. Basically they are like an Egyptian plague, the pick a course, kill it, and move on?????

> >

> > What exactly is the problem there? It looked great to me.

>

> No problem whatsoever. The players had positive reviews of the course and the set up. It looked fine on TV, even with a lot of brown areas. The Southeast had endured a heat wave before the tournament. The course was difficult and fast, but not crazy. It was a wonderful major championship course for the ladies.

While the course looked interesting from a design standpoint, I actually don't think it showed well on television. Compare it to how Muirfield Village looked when flipping channels and it just seemed to not be on the same level on the screen.

• Like 1

> @LICC said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > > @davep043 said:

> > > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > > Watching the Women's U.S. Open and now I understand why the USGA is a destructive force in golf. Basically they are like an Egyptian plague, the pick a course, kill it, and move on?????

> > >

> > > What exactly is the problem there? It looked great to me.

> >

> > No problem whatsoever. The players had positive reviews of the course and the set up. It looked fine on TV, even with a lot of brown areas. The Southeast had endured a heat wave before the tournament. The course was difficult and fast, but not crazy. It was a wonderful major championship course for the ladies.

>

> While the course looked interesting from a design standpoint, I actually don't think it showed well on television. Compare it to how Muirfield Village looked when flipping channels and it just seemed to not be on the same level on the screen.

Different grass types, different topography, and different climates produce different appearances.

> @dalehead said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @BMC said:

> > > Running the US Open is a very small part of what the USGA does. Some pampered tour pros just complaining.

> > > Thousands of amateurs playing in hundreds of tournaments a year don't seem to have any problem with the USGA.

> >

> > Maybe because the USGA is good at amateur tournaments. The US Open, not so much.

>

> This is a good point. The USGA sets up courses for many championships including Senior US Open, Women's Open, and a slew of amateur championships, and they seem to do a good job. Why do they regularly have a problem with the Men's Open? My answer is they bring their preconceived ideas about how to run the Open with them and those ideas need to change.

>

Just take a look at the winning scores from the last few LPGA US Opens vs that of the PGA US Open

Yes there will be times where the weather and conditions allow the men to completely dominate the course (Keopka and Rors come to mind) but can you imagine the outcry if the USGA set up the LPGA US Open to the same conditions as the PGA? If +6 or worse was the winning score? Heck the closest “to par” score in the past decade on the LPGA was -2 from Wie in 2014.

I’m honestly not even sure why we have the US Open anymore for amateurs. No amateur has a snowballs chance in h3LL to even come close to sniffing a win there. Like others have said, I don’t feel that the USGA is doing it’s part for the amateur golfer anymore. It’s all about $ and they know which side their bread is buttered.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

> @Shipwreck said:

> > @dalehead said:

> > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > @BMC said:

> > > > Running the US Open is a very small part of what the USGA does. Some pampered tour pros just complaining.

> > > > Thousands of amateurs playing in hundreds of tournaments a year don't seem to have any problem with the USGA.

> > >

> > > Maybe because the USGA is good at amateur tournaments. The US Open, not so much.

> >

> > This is a good point. The USGA sets up courses for many championships including Senior US Open, Women's Open, and a slew of amateur championships, and they seem to do a good job. Why do they regularly have a problem with the Men's Open? My answer is they bring their preconceived ideas about how to run the Open with them and those ideas need to change.

> >

>

> Just take a look at the winning scores from the last few LPGA US Opens vs that of the PGA US Open

>

> Yes there will be times where the weather and conditions allow the men to completely dominate the course (Keopka and Rors come to mind) but can you imagine the outcry if the USGA set up the LPGA US Open to the same conditions as the PGA? If +6 or worse was the winning score? Heck the closest “to par” score in the past decade on the LPGA was -2 from Wie in 2014.

>

> I’m honestly not even sure why we have the US Open anymore for amateurs. No amateur has a snowballs chance in h3LL to even come close to sniffing a win there. Like others have said, I don’t feel that the USGA is doing it’s part for the amateur golfer anymore. It’s all about $ and they know which side their bread is buttered.

You don't feel that the USGA is doing anything for amateurs, even though they run the handicap system in the US, even though they do lots of research of turfgrass, resource management, structural issues in pace of play, they establish and continually update the rules, they support the First Tee, but in your opinion they're failing the amateurs. So they need to improve their services for amateurs, and to that end they should exclude all amateurs from the US OPEN? Similarly should the PGA Championship exclude club professionals, after all they have nearly zero chance of winning.

• Like 1

> @davep043 said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @gvogel said:

> > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > > > Watching the Women's U.S. Open and now I understand why the USGA is a destructive force in golf. Basically they are like an Egyptian plague, the pick a course, kill it, and move on?????

> > > >

> > > > What exactly is the problem there? It looked great to me.

> > >

> > > No problem whatsoever. The players had positive reviews of the course and the set up. It looked fine on TV, even with a lot of brown areas. The Southeast had endured a heat wave before the tournament. The course was difficult and fast, but not crazy. It was a wonderful major championship course for the ladies.

> >

> > While the course looked interesting from a design standpoint, I actually don't think it showed well on television. Compare it to how Muirfield Village looked when flipping channels and it just seemed to not be on the same level on the screen.

>

> Different grass types, different topography, and different climates produce different appearances.

Also the relatively flat landscape and openness that brought in views of cars, bridge, buildings, etc.

• Like 1

> @LICC said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @gvogel said:

> > > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > > > > Watching the Women's U.S. Open and now I understand why the USGA is a destructive force in golf. Basically they are like an Egyptian plague, the pick a course, kill it, and move on?????

> > > > >

> > > > > What exactly is the problem there? It looked great to me.

> > > >

> > > > No problem whatsoever. The players had positive reviews of the course and the set up. It looked fine on TV, even with a lot of brown areas. The Southeast had endured a heat wave before the tournament. The course was difficult and fast, but not crazy. It was a wonderful major championship course for the ladies.

> > >

> > > While the course looked interesting from a design standpoint, I actually don't think it showed well on television. Compare it to how Muirfield Village looked when flipping channels and it just seemed to not be on the same level on the screen.

> >

> > Different grass types, different topography, and different climates produce different appearances.

>

> Also the relatively flat landscape and openness that brought in views of cars, bridge, buildings, etc.

To a very small extent, the relatively flat terrain reminded me of many of the links courses we see for the Open Championship. Elevated cameras just can't show much of the small-scale undulations that are so important when you're playing them. Again, different grass types and climates, not a very similar look, but a minor resemblance.

> @davep043 said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @davep043 said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @gvogel said:

> > > > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > > > > > Watching the Women's U.S. Open and now I understand why the USGA is a destructive force in golf. Basically they are like an Egyptian plague, the pick a course, kill it, and move on?????

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What exactly is the problem there? It looked great to me.

> > > > >

> > > > > No problem whatsoever. The players had positive reviews of the course and the set up. It looked fine on TV, even with a lot of brown areas. The Southeast had endured a heat wave before the tournament. The course was difficult and fast, but not crazy. It was a wonderful major championship course for the ladies.

> > > >

> > > > While the course looked interesting from a design standpoint, I actually don't think it showed well on television. Compare it to how Muirfield Village looked when flipping channels and it just seemed to not be on the same level on the screen.

> > >

> > > Different grass types, different topography, and different climates produce different appearances.

> >

> > Also the relatively flat landscape and openness that brought in views of cars, bridge, buildings, etc.

>

> To a very small extent, the relatively flat terrain reminded me of many of the links courses we see for the Open Championship. Elevated cameras just can't show much of the small-scale undulations that are so important when you're playing them. Again, different grass types and climates, not a very similar look, but a minor resemblance.

Most of the Open rota courses have wonderful dunes that break the visual of flatness on TV. I agree that what appears flat on TV isn't necessarily so in person.

> @Shipwreck said:

> > @dalehead said:

> > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > @BMC said:

> > > > Running the US Open is a very small part of what the USGA does. Some pampered tour pros just complaining.

> > > > Thousands of amateurs playing in hundreds of tournaments a year don't seem to have any problem with the USGA.

> > >

> > > Maybe because the USGA is good at amateur tournaments. The US Open, not so much.

> >

> > This is a good point. The USGA sets up courses for many championships including Senior US Open, Women's Open, and a slew of amateur championships, and they seem to do a good job. Why do they regularly have a problem with the Men's Open? My answer is they bring their preconceived ideas about how to run the Open with them and those ideas need to change.

> >

>

> Just take a look at the winning scores from the last few LPGA US Opens vs that of the PGA US Open

>

> Yes there will be times where the weather and conditions allow the men to completely dominate the course (Keopka and Rors come to mind) but can you imagine the outcry if the USGA set up the LPGA US Open to the same conditions as the PGA? If +6 or worse was the winning score? Heck the closest “to par” score in the past decade on the LPGA was -2 from Wie in 2014.

>

> I’m honestly not even sure why we have the US Open anymore for amateurs. No amateur has a snowballs chance in h3LL to even come close to sniffing a win there. Like others have said, I don’t feel that the USGA is doing it’s part for the amateur golfer anymore. It’s all about $ and they know which side their bread is buttered.

One of the duke ladies finished well. And under par I believe. Several men have made good showings in the last 10 years.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Golfer4Life said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > Watching the Women's U.S. Open and now I understand why the USGA is a destructive force in golf. Basically they are like an Egyptian plague, the pick a course, kill it, and move on?????

> >

> > Please tell me this is sarcasm.

>

> Not at all, just my opinion.

Okay, what did you see that the rest of us didn't see?> @caniac6 said:

> > @Lamb said:

> > USGA heads are each making millions a year for doing every little. I sure wish there was a boycott. Hate these greedy fat pigs.

>

> I would seriously doubt the pros have enough guts to stage a boycott.

Yea, I can't believe that anyone really thinks a boycott was seriously being considered. Pure hogwash.

> @LICC said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > > @davep043 said:

> > > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > > Watching the Women's U.S. Open and now I understand why the USGA is a destructive force in golf. Basically they are like an Egyptian plague, the pick a course, kill it, and move on?????

> > >

> > > What exactly is the problem there? It looked great to me.

> >

> > No problem whatsoever. The players had positive reviews of the course and the set up. It looked fine on TV, even with a lot of brown areas. The Southeast had endured a heat wave before the tournament. The course was difficult and fast, but not crazy. It was a wonderful major championship course for the ladies.

>

> While the course looked interesting from a design standpoint, I actually don't think it showed well on television. Compare it to how Muirfield Village looked when flipping channels and it just seemed to not be on the same level on the screen.

> @LICC said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @gvogel said:

> > > > > > Watching the Women's U.S. Open and now I understand why the USGA is a destructive force in golf. Basically they are like an Egyptian plague, the pick a course, kill it, and move on?????

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > No problem whatsoever. The players had positive reviews of the course and the set up. It looked fine on TV, even with a lot of brown areas. The Southeast had endured a heat wave before the tournament. The course was difficult and fast, but not crazy. It was a wonderful major championship course for the ladies.

> > >

> > > While the course looked interesting from a design standpoint, I actually don't think it showed well on television. Compare it to how Muirfield Village looked when flipping channels and it just seemed to not be on the same level on the screen.

> >

> > Different grass types, different topography, and different climates produce different appearances.

>

> Also the relatively flat landscape and openness that brought in views of cars, bridge, buildings, etc.

That women’s us open course looked terrible on tv sorry. We have several muni’s that look more appealing than that course tbh. Visually it wasn’t a good look.

There is a lot of irrational hatred in this thread. That's all.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @Oldboy said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @gvogel said:

> > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > > > Watching the Women's U.S. Open and now I understand why the USGA is a destructive force in golf. Basically they are like an Egyptian plague, the pick a course, kill it, and move on?????

> > > >

> > > > What exactly is the problem there? It looked great to me.

> > >

> > > No problem whatsoever. The players had positive reviews of the course and the set up. It looked fine on TV, even with a lot of brown areas. The Southeast had endured a heat wave before the tournament. The course was difficult and fast, but not crazy. It was a wonderful major championship course for the ladies.

> >

> > While the course looked interesting from a design standpoint, I actually don't think it showed well on television. Compare it to how Muirfield Village looked when flipping channels and it just seemed to not be on the same level on the screen.

>

> > @LICC said:

> > > @davep043 said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @gvogel said:

> > > > > > > Watching the Women's U.S. Open and now I understand why the USGA is a destructive force in golf. Basically they are like an Egyptian plague, the pick a course, kill it, and move on?????

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > No problem whatsoever. The players had positive reviews of the course and the set up. It looked fine on TV, even with a lot of brown areas. The Southeast had endured a heat wave before the tournament. The course was difficult and fast, but not crazy. It was a wonderful major championship course for the ladies.

> > > >

> > > > While the course looked interesting from a design standpoint, I actually don't think it showed well on television. Compare it to how Muirfield Village looked when flipping channels and it just seemed to not be on the same level on the screen.

> > >

> > > Different grass types, different topography, and different climates produce different appearances.

> >

> > Also the relatively flat landscape and openness that brought in views of cars, bridge, buildings, etc.

>

> That women’s us open course looked terrible on tv sorry. We have several muni’s that look more appealing than that course tbh. Visually it wasn’t a good look.

>

>

Without knowing where you are, its a little difficult to understand what you'd prefer to see. The fairways weren't bright green, they were summer Bermuda grass color. The Bermuda rough was high enough to be a significant problem. The greens seems firm and fast without being crazy. What do you prefer?

> @davep043 said:

> > @Oldboy said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @gvogel said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @gvogel said:

> > > > > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > > > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > > > > > > Watching the Women's U.S. Open and now I understand why the USGA is a destructive force in golf. Basically they are like an Egyptian plague, the pick a course, kill it, and move on?????

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > What exactly is the problem there? It looked great to me.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > No problem whatsoever. The players had positive reviews of the course and the set up. It looked fine on TV, even with a lot of brown areas. The Southeast had endured a heat wave before the tournament. The course was difficult and fast, but not crazy. It was a wonderful major championship course for the ladies.

> > > > >

> > > > > While the course looked interesting from a design standpoint, I actually don't think it showed well on television. Compare it to how Muirfield Village looked when flipping channels and it just seemed to not be on the same level on the screen.

> > > >

> > > > Different grass types, different topography, and different climates produce different appearances.

> > >

> > > Also the relatively flat landscape and openness that brought in views of cars, bridge, buildings, etc.

> >

> > That women’s us open course looked terrible on tv sorry. We have several muni’s that look more appealing than that course tbh. Visually it wasn’t a good look.

> >

> >

>

> Without knowing where you are, its a little difficult to understand what you'd prefer to see. The fairways weren't bright green, they were summer Bermuda grass color. The Bermuda rough was high enough to be a significant problem. The greens seems firm and fast without being crazy. What do you prefer?

It's the ANGC effect that plagues so many courses. Sets an unrealistic standard of what courses can/should look like. Then, members/public golfers hold their courses to that standard. CC of Charleston was marvelous and such a welcome break from the monotony of overwatered courses we see weekly.

• Like 1

> @umassgolfer said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @Oldboy said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @gvogel said:

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @gvogel said:

> > > > > > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > > > > > @Golfer4Life said:

> > > > > > > > > Watching the Women's U.S. Open and now I understand why the USGA is a destructive force in golf. Basically they are like an Egyptian plague, the pick a course, kill it, and move on?????

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > What exactly is the problem there? It looked great to me.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > No problem whatsoever. The players had positive reviews of the course and the set up. It looked fine on TV, even with a lot of brown areas. The Southeast had endured a heat wave before the tournament. The course was difficult and fast, but not crazy. It was a wonderful major championship course for the ladies.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > While the course looked interesting from a design standpoint, I actually don't think it showed well on television. Compare it to how Muirfield Village looked when flipping channels and it just seemed to not be on the same level on the screen.

> > > > >

> > > > > Different grass types, different topography, and different climates produce different appearances.

> > > >

> > > > Also the relatively flat landscape and openness that brought in views of cars, bridge, buildings, etc.

> > >

> > > That women’s us open course looked terrible on tv sorry. We have several muni’s that look more appealing than that course tbh. Visually it wasn’t a good look.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Without knowing where you are, its a little difficult to understand what you'd prefer to see. The fairways weren't bright green, they were summer Bermuda grass color. The Bermuda rough was high enough to be a significant problem. The greens seems firm and fast without being crazy. What do you prefer?

>

> It's the ANGC effect that plagues so many courses. Sets an unrealistic standard of what courses can/should look like. Then, members/public golfers hold their courses to that standard. CC of Charleston was marvelous and such a welcome break from the monotony of overwatered courses we see weekly.

It is not a matter of what a course should look like. It is a matter of what looks good on television and what doesn't. CC of Charleston looked flat and boring on the screen. In person I'm sure it has very interesting features that look good but those don't show on TV. Muirfield Village looked great on TV. Pebble Beach looks great on TV. Bethpage looked good on TV. Riviera, Sawgrass, Shadow Creek look good. Trinity Forest doesn't. Firestone never did. None of this means one course is better than the other. But as a viewer, some courses look bland on TV and others look good.

• Like 1

> @Lamb said:

> USGA heads are each making millions a year for doing every little. I sure wish there was a boycott. Hate these greedy fat pigs.

The latest figures according to Golf Digest:

2015 - Mike Davis $940K

2016 - Tim Finchem - $5.8M

2016 - Jay Monahan - $3.6M

Finchem and Monahan work for the PGA Tour. I think that I read that Finchem got a huge bonus after he retired - $8M or 10M, something like that.

So Mike Davis is making thousands, not millions, unlike the PGA Tour guys.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @gvogel said:

> > @Lamb said:

> > USGA heads are each making millions a year for doing every little. I sure wish there was a boycott. Hate these greedy fat pigs.

>

> The latest figures according to Golf Digest:

> 2015 - Mike Davis $940K

> 2016 - Tim Finchem - $5.8M

> 2016 - Jay Monahan - $3.6M

>

> Finchem and Monahan work for the PGA Tour. I think that I read that Finchem got a huge bonus after he retired - $8M or 10M, something like that.

>

> So Mike Davis is making thousands, not millions, unlike the PGA Tour guys.

Yeah compare 50 tournaments a year earning to 1 tournament a year. Oh and the 2015 Davies salary figures is old. Did you not read the USGA negotiated a new contract worth over a billion?