2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Pros and others throw USGA under the bus.

Darth Putter

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @farmer said:

> > I have no problem with a difficult set up for the Open. I do object to a professionally well played shot that does not yield at least an acceptable result. When that standard is not met, then the set up has gone too far.

>

> So I'm assuming that you object to the same professional well played shots during the Open Championship that does not yield at least an acceptable result.

The Open Championship is an entirely different animal, but yes, I do object to really well executed shot getting a poor result. The courses are designed or evolved in such a way that they can be played from burned out to lush. The greens are not as undulating or as fast as our Open, so, again, a different animal.

> @bladehunter said:

> Lol. Phil just said that if it doesn’t rain that the USga will 100 % screw it up . Went on to say that in every us open he’s played in that didn’t rain , they couldn’t help themselves. And added in that it rained Thursday and friday at shinecock ( I don’t know if that’s true or not ) and still lost it.

Phil criticized the USGA. That has to be one of the most shocking revelations of 2019 in the golf world. And it's so out of character for someone who's buddy buds with the likes of Billy Walters.

> @Ferguson said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > > > Justin saying "we don't want to be bratty" seems kind of hollow. What I'd like to see from him is more long-form criticisms, rather than twitter-b**ching. If there are problems, and there certainly have been some with the US Open at times, they're not going to be addressed in 140 characters or less. That will also require a media outlet willing to publish longer-form discussions, and readers willing to go past the big print on the first page of the article.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The USGA doesn't need any more input from anybody. They have received valuable input for quite some time from a variety of sources. They just need to quit worshipping par and quit trying to take the greens to the edge of unplayable.

> > > > >

> > > > > What's wrong with testing the limits of professional golfers?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Nothing. It’s when they cross the limits of the course that heads should roll.

> > >

> > > Let's test that logic and look at this from a circumstance to which all of us can relate. So when the grounds people at your club put too much sand on the a few greens after punching, the club should fire the people involved with the decision about who purchased the sand?

> > >

> >

> > I don’t follow.

> >

> > I’m saying that when the USga pushes greens to the point of having to paint them because they are dying , then it’s past too far and whom ever made the decision to push them too far shouldn’t be there anymore.

>

> You're saying people should get fired over a course set up, correct?

> What people, and what legal reason would you or Mr. Hogan use to terminate those people?

> It's dirt and grass.

>

Can't you get fired for being bad at your job anymore?

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

> @lawsonman said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > > > > Justin saying "we don't want to be bratty" seems kind of hollow. What I'd like to see from him is more long-form criticisms, rather than twitter-b**ching. If there are problems, and there certainly have been some with the US Open at times, they're not going to be addressed in 140 characters or less. That will also require a media outlet willing to publish longer-form discussions, and readers willing to go past the big print on the first page of the article.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The USGA doesn't need any more input from anybody. They have received valuable input for quite some time from a variety of sources. They just need to quit worshipping par and quit trying to take the greens to the edge of unplayable.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What's wrong with testing the limits of professional golfers?

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Nothing. It’s when they cross the limits of the course that heads should roll.

> > > >

> > > > Let's test that logic and look at this from a circumstance to which all of us can relate. So when the grounds people at your club put too much sand on the a few greens after punching, the club should fire the people involved with the decision about who purchased the sand?

> > > >

> > >

> > > I don’t follow.

> > >

> > > I’m saying that when the USga pushes greens to the point of having to paint them because they are dying , then it’s past too far and whom ever made the decision to push them too far shouldn’t be there anymore.

> >

> > You're saying people should get fired over a course set up, correct?

> > What people, and what legal reason would you or Mr. Hogan use to terminate those people?

> > It's dirt and grass.

> >

>

> Can't you get fired for being bad at your job anymore?

You're missing the point. If top brass is making the decisions and they are the ones to be fired, who fires them?

No one fires himself/herself, usually.

If the greens keepers screwed up - they should go.

> @bladehunter said:

> Lol. Phil just said that if it doesn’t rain that the USga will 100 % screw it up . Went on to say that in every us open he’s played in that didn’t rain , they couldn’t help themselves. And added in that it rained Thursday and friday at shinecock ( I don’t know if that’s true or not ) and still lost it.

Now why would anyone in the USGA listen to Phil Mickelson?

He's no authority on grass and turf. Phil is a thespian for advertising dollars.

> @Ferguson said:

> > @lawsonman said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > > > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > > > > > Justin saying "we don't want to be bratty" seems kind of hollow. What I'd like to see from him is more long-form criticisms, rather than twitter-b**ching. If there are problems, and there certainly have been some with the US Open at times, they're not going to be addressed in 140 characters or less. That will also require a media outlet willing to publish longer-form discussions, and readers willing to go past the big print on the first page of the article.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The USGA doesn't need any more input from anybody. They have received valuable input for quite some time from a variety of sources. They just need to quit worshipping par and quit trying to take the greens to the edge of unplayable.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > What's wrong with testing the limits of professional golfers?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Nothing. It’s when they cross the limits of the course that heads should roll.

> > > > >

> > > > > Let's test that logic and look at this from a circumstance to which all of us can relate. So when the grounds people at your club put too much sand on the a few greens after punching, the club should fire the people involved with the decision about who purchased the sand?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I don’t follow.

> > > >

> > > > I’m saying that when the USga pushes greens to the point of having to paint them because they are dying , then it’s past too far and whom ever made the decision to push them too far shouldn’t be there anymore.

> > >

> > > You're saying people should get fired over a course set up, correct?

> > > What people, and what legal reason would you or Mr. Hogan use to terminate those people?

> > > It's dirt and grass.

> > >

> >

> > Can't you get fired for being bad at your job anymore?

>

> You're missing the point. If top brass is making the decisions and they are the ones to be fired, who fires them?

> No one fires himself/herself, usually.

>

> If the greens keepers screwed up - they should go.

The USGA executive committee should do it.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

> @Ferguson said:

> > @lawsonman said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > > > > Justin saying "we don't want to be bratty" seems kind of hollow. What I'd like to see from him is more long-form criticisms, rather than twitter-b**ching. If there are problems, and there certainly have been some with the US Open at times, they're not going to be addressed in 140 characters or less. That will also require a media outlet willing to publish longer-form discussions, and readers willing to go past the big print on the first page of the article.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The USGA doesn't need any more input from anybody. They have received valuable input for quite some time from a variety of sources. They just need to quit worshipping par and quit trying to take the greens to the edge of unplayable.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Nothing. It’s when they cross the limits of the course that heads should roll.

> > > > >

> > > > > Let's test that logic and look at this from a circumstance to which all of us can relate. So when the grounds people at your club put too much sand on the a few greens after punching, the club should fire the people involved with the decision about who purchased the sand?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I don’t follow.

> > > >

> > > > I’m saying that when the USga pushes greens to the point of having to paint them because they are dying , then it’s past too far and whom ever made the decision to push them too far shouldn’t be there anymore.

> > >

> > > What people, and what legal reason would you or Mr. Hogan use to terminate those people?

> > >

> >

>

> You're missing the point. If top brass is making the decisions and they are the ones to be fired, who fires them?

>

Ferg. That’s a perfect outline of what’s wrong with the outfit . You’re right. There’s nobody to get rid of the problem.

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Ferguson said:

> > @lawsonman said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I don’t follow.

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

>

I believe The Board of Governors appoints and can terminate members of the executive staff.

> @Mikey5e said:

> The worst thing that can happen is the USGA making PB cupcake difficult. There are a few in here, based on their comments, that like -30 winners. I think true golf fans like the winner at about 0 - 5 under.

Unless that comment says “ I want to see -30” then that’s not a reasonable assumption. I don’t think greens rolling at 20 and turning to crust are the deciding factor from -30 to -5. Doesn’t need to be a blood bath. That only leads to luck filled scenarios. I’d rather see greens that will hold a shot that’s hit properly and greens that the ball rolls true and will stay on. Putting into bunkers is just some sick 20 handicapers idea at revenge on the Pros.

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @lawsonman said:

> > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > > > > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > > > > > > Justin saying "we don't want to be bratty" seems kind of hollow. What I'd like to see from him is more long-form criticisms, rather than twitter-b**ching. If there are problems, and there certainly have been some with the US Open at times, they're not going to be addressed in 140 characters or less. That will also require a media outlet willing to publish longer-form discussions, and readers willing to go past the big print on the first page of the article.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > The USGA doesn't need any more input from anybody. They have received valuable input for quite some time from a variety of sources. They just need to quit worshipping par and quit trying to take the greens to the edge of unplayable.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > What's wrong with testing the limits of professional golfers?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Nothing. It’s when they cross the limits of the course that heads should roll.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Let's test that logic and look at this from a circumstance to which all of us can relate. So when the grounds people at your club put too much sand on the a few greens after punching, the club should fire the people involved with the decision about who purchased the sand?

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I don’t follow.

> > > > >

> > > > > I’m saying that when the USga pushes greens to the point of having to paint them because they are dying , then it’s past too far and whom ever made the decision to push them too far shouldn’t be there anymore.

> > > >

> > > > You're saying people should get fired over a course set up, correct?

> > > > What people, and what legal reason would you or Mr. Hogan use to terminate those people?

> > > > It's dirt and grass.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Can't you get fired for being bad at your job anymore?

> >

> > You're missing the point. If top brass is making the decisions and they are the ones to be fired, who fires them?

> > No one fires himself/herself, usually.

> >

> > If the greens keepers screwed up - they should go.

>

> I believe The Board of Governors appoints and can terminate members of the executive staff.

Re: The Board of Governors appoints and can terminate members of the executive staff

The board is clueless about the game of golf and the sort of management it takes to grow and maintain the sport. These board members, while pillars of industry and highly educated, hold what I would call "sitting" positions, not "active" positions.

If the the board indeed appoints people to these positions then there is no way they would ever terminate any of them. They are all friends and associates. It's a network of the affluent, and their advisers.

> @Ferguson said:

> > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > @lawsonman said:

> > > > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > Justin saying "we don't want to be bratty" seems kind of hollow. What I'd like to see from him is more long-form criticisms, rather than twitter-b**ching. If there are problems, and there certainly have been some with the US Open at times, they're not going to be addressed in 140 characters or less. That will also require a media outlet willing to publish longer-form discussions, and readers willing to go past the big print on the first page of the article.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > The USGA doesn't need any more input from anybody. They have received valuable input for quite some time from a variety of sources. They just need to quit worshipping par and quit trying to take the greens to the edge of unplayable.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > What's wrong with testing the limits of professional golfers?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Nothing. It’s when they cross the limits of the course that heads should roll.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Let's test that logic and look at this from a circumstance to which all of us can relate. So when the grounds people at your club put too much sand on the a few greens after punching, the club should fire the people involved with the decision about who purchased the sand?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I don’t follow.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I’m saying that when the USga pushes greens to the point of having to paint them because they are dying , then it’s past too far and whom ever made the decision to push them too far shouldn’t be there anymore.

> > > > >

> > > > > You're saying people should get fired over a course set up, correct?

> > > > > What people, and what legal reason would you or Mr. Hogan use to terminate those people?

> > > > > It's dirt and grass.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Can't you get fired for being bad at your job anymore?

> > >

> > > You're missing the point. If top brass is making the decisions and they are the ones to be fired, who fires them?

> > > No one fires himself/herself, usually.

> > >

> > > If the greens keepers screwed up - they should go.

> >

> > I believe The Board of Governors appoints and can terminate members of the executive staff.

>

> Re: The Board of Governors appoints and can terminate members of the executive staff

>

>

> The board is clueless about the game of golf and the sort of management it takes to grow and maintain the sport. These board members, while pillars of industry and highly educated, hold what I would call "sitting" positions, not "active" positions.

>

> If the the board indeed appoints people to these positions then there is no way they would ever terminate any of them. They are all friends and associates. It's a network of the affluent, and their advisers.

>

Nick Price is no slouch. But if it's a network of buddies and insiders (as you suggest and I agree is certainly possible) the usga can be further marginalized especially by the voice and power of the PGA Tour. They best not screw this Open up.

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > @lawsonman said:

> > > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > Justin saying "we don't want to be bratty" seems kind of hollow. What I'd like to see from him is more long-form criticisms, rather than twitter-b**ching. If there are problems, and there certainly have been some with the US Open at times, they're not going to be addressed in 140 characters or less. That will also require a media outlet willing to publish longer-form discussions, and readers willing to go past the big print on the first page of the article.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > The USGA doesn't need any more input from anybody. They have received valuable input for quite some time from a variety of sources. They just need to quit worshipping par and quit trying to take the greens to the edge of unplayable.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > What's wrong with testing the limits of professional golfers?

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Nothing. It’s when they cross the limits of the course that heads should roll.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Let's test that logic and look at this from a circumstance to which all of us can relate. So when the grounds people at your club put too much sand on the a few greens after punching, the club should fire the people involved with the decision about who purchased the sand?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I don’t follow.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I’m saying that when the USga pushes greens to the point of having to paint them because they are dying , then it’s past too far and whom ever made the decision to push them too far shouldn’t be there anymore.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You're saying people should get fired over a course set up, correct?

> > > > > > What people, and what legal reason would you or Mr. Hogan use to terminate those people?

> > > > > > It's dirt and grass.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Can't you get fired for being bad at your job anymore?

> > > >

> > > > You're missing the point. If top brass is making the decisions and they are the ones to be fired, who fires them?

> > > > No one fires himself/herself, usually.

> > > >

> > > > If the greens keepers screwed up - they should go.

> > >

> > > I believe The Board of Governors appoints and can terminate members of the executive staff.

> >

> > Re: The Board of Governors appoints and can terminate members of the executive staff

> >

> >

> > The board is clueless about the game of golf and the sort of management it takes to grow and maintain the sport. These board members, while pillars of industry and highly educated, hold what I would call "sitting" positions, not "active" positions.

> >

> > If the the board indeed appoints people to these positions then there is no way they would ever terminate any of them. They are all friends and associates. It's a network of the affluent, and their advisers.

> >

>

> Nick Price is no slouch. But if it's a network of buddies and insiders (as you suggest and I agree is certainly possible) the usga can be further marginalized especially by the voice and power of the PGA Tour. They best not screw this Open up.

It's Pebble - one can only hope they let them play the design.

• Like 1

> @Ferguson said:

> > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > @lawsonman said:

> > > > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > > > @Ferguson said:

> > > > > > > > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > Justin saying "we don't want to be bratty" seems kind of hollow. What I'd like to see from him is more long-form criticisms, rather than twitter-b**ching. If there are problems, and there certainly have been some with the US Open at times, they're not going to be addressed in 140 characters or less. That will also require a media outlet willing to publish longer-form discussions, and readers willing to go past the big print on the first page of the article.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > The USGA doesn't need any more input from anybody. They have received valuable input for quite some time from a variety of sources. They just need to quit worshipping par and quit trying to take the greens to the edge of unplayable.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > What's wrong with testing the limits of professional golfers?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Nothing. It’s when they cross the limits of the course that heads should roll.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Let's test that logic and look at this from a circumstance to which all of us can relate. So when the grounds people at your club put too much sand on the a few greens after punching, the club should fire the people involved with the decision about who purchased the sand?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I don’t follow.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I’m saying that when the USga pushes greens to the point of having to paint them because they are dying , then it’s past too far and whom ever made the decision to push them too far shouldn’t be there anymore.

> > > > >

> > > > > You're saying people should get fired over a course set up, correct?

> > > > > What people, and what legal reason would you or Mr. Hogan use to terminate those people?

> > > > > It's dirt and grass.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Can't you get fired for being bad at your job anymore?

> > >

> > > You're missing the point. If top brass is making the decisions and they are the ones to be fired, who fires them?

> > > No one fires himself/herself, usually.

> > >

> > > If the greens keepers screwed up - they should go.

> >

> > I believe The Board of Governors appoints and can terminate members of the executive staff.

>

> Re: The Board of Governors appoints and can terminate members of the executive staff

>

>

> The board is clueless about the game of golf and the sort of management it takes to grow and maintain the sport. These board members, while pillars of industry and highly educated, hold what I would call "sitting" positions, not "active" positions.

>

> If the the board indeed appoints people to these positions then there is no way they would ever terminate any of them. They are all friends and associates. It's a network of the affluent, and their advisers.

>

George Carlin would 'like' this post. Despite some past set up issues, I believe they'll get it right at PB.

The USGA needs some real competition. They only reason they are allowed to continue to exist and continue to screw up the US Open in every way imaginable (and some new ways not imaginable) is that they are in 100% control of the tournament, no questions asked, no accountability to the fans, the game or the players. Next year during US Open week, the PGA tour should run their own tournament. Call it the "USA Open" or similar, offer a similar purse, give players the option which event to play. We know what they will choose. When only amateurs and third-rate pros play in their event, USGA will become irrelevant.

> @Mikey5e said:

> The worst thing that can happen is the USGA making PB cupcake difficult. There are a few in here, based on their comments, that like -30 winners. I think true golf fans like the winner at about 0 - 5 under.

First off son, I never said minus 30. What I did say, is that I was locked into the LPGA event a couple years ago where a young young lady shot 31 under 257, which over 72 holes to go 31 under par? Is absolutely the best golf I have seen on television. And that 25 under par score would be fantastic! When one can recognize a tough golf course and see someone be the anomaly that’s special to me.

That being said...

Let me spell out clearly (so that you don’t ever have to think again, it’s laid out right here for you since inferring and assumptions about others thoughts are clearly taxing your mental capacity) what I like to see from a golf tournament. I want to see one that allows players to score, only by hitting quality shots. Matching the trajectory with spin and shot shape to the course should be rewarded. Not one that rejects good shots, because it becomes too much luck and no skill.

The penalty should be severe, but not so much so that it’s an automatic punch out out hit to the middle of the green. If you can pull of a great recovery then you should be rewarded, but it seems to me (based on being at Oakmont twice, Shinnecock, Olympic, etc) that isn’t the case necessarily. I believe that you can set up a golf course where you can take the challenge off the tee, and have an easier approach or take the easy line off the tee and have a more difficult approach. Now part of this is outside anyone’s hands but the course designer, so you have to piece together each hole individually to make a puzzle that will challenge the best in the world. What I mean is; mowing patterns, fairway widths, rough heights, light furrowing of bunkers parallel with the line of play, slow the greens down but keep the firmness, vary tees all that stuff that has a set standard for every hole might not need to be so. A hole where guys have wedges in hands for the approach can have longer rough but a reachable par 5 or long par 4 cut it down a little bit to allow for some creativity rather than a wedge.

And if one player or several have the answers that week then we will be treated to some high level golf.

I have zero issues with the USGA and the set up. Keep a mix of long and shorter course on the mix.

I'll probably get roasted. It's one week one tournament.

Augusta, PGA and RA all set up they way they want the course to play. USGA does the same. Are there times when hole locations go bad? Sure. They need to keep a better eye on the greens and hole locations. To me that's all.

I enjoy watching the US Open where scores are +3 - -4 winning. It's what I expect from this tournament.

The Master I know I'll see back nine birdies and eagles. PGA I expect to see a mix. Hard and easy holes. The Open is dependent on weather.

The USGA could just let the course grow natural. No perfect fairways and greens unraked bunkers. After all aren't they "hazards"? Then send them out to have at it.

Every June the best players will show to play. Every June a bunch that didn't play well will complain. And some that played well will complain. But everyone of those players know if they win they played some amazing golf on a difficult course. And be very happy to hold that trophy.

• Like 1

The USGA? Nah......

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

> Maybe the PGA Tour should host their own open called "the new and improved open" Anything that marginalizes the usga is good by me.

This seems about as likely as the PGA writing their own rules, independent of the USGA.

> @davep043 said:

> > Maybe the PGA Tour should host their own open called "the new and improved open" Anything that marginalizes the usga is good by me.

>

> This seems about as likely as the PGA writing their own rules, independent of the USGA.

It may seem like a long way off today but the reality come closer if they screw up Pebble. Warning shots have already been fired by many tour members.

> > @davep043 said:

> > > Maybe the PGA Tour should host their own open called "the new and improved open" Anything that marginalizes the usga is good by me.

> >

> > This seems about as likely as the PGA writing their own rules, independent of the USGA.

>

> It may seem like a long way off today but the reality come closer if they screw up Pebble. Warning shots have already been fired by many tour members.

LOL yes. Warning shots. The players are great at those, not so much at any real action. All bark. I WISH some of the players would try to bite back. Let's see if the players are bigger than the game.

> > @davep043 said:

> > > Maybe the PGA Tour should host their own open called "the new and improved open" Anything that marginalizes the usga is good by me.

> >

> > This seems about as likely as the PGA writing their own rules, independent of the USGA.

>

> It may seem like a long way off today but the reality come closer if they screw up Pebble. Warning shots have already been fired by many tour members.

Not going to happen.

The USGA has a number of excellent courses that have agreed to host the US Open in the future. The Tour would not want to take on holding regional and sectional qualifying. This is all a bunch of noise by the pros. And the USGA has that juicy TV contract with Fox that runs a few more years.

Let's say that a bunch of the pros did boycott the US Open. What happens? The European guys will still play, as they don't seem to be too perturbed. College ams will play. The public will suspect that the pampered boycotting pros are boycotting because the greens are too fast. How does that go over?

I suspect that John Bodenhamer, who is taking over for Mike Davis in setting up the course, will go a bit conservative this year, perhaps because Pebble is exposed to the elements and if the greens are too fast, play would need to be stopped. I think that we will have a competitive US Open with somewhat lower scoring than previously, unless it is really windy.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @umassgolfer said:

> > > @davep043 said:

> > > > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > > Maybe the PGA Tour should host their own open called "the new and improved open" Anything that marginalizes the usga is good by me.

> > >

> > > This seems about as likely as the PGA writing their own rules, independent of the USGA.

> >

> > It may seem like a long way off today but the reality come closer if they screw up Pebble. Warning shots have already been fired by many tour members.

>

> LOL yes. Warning shots. The players are great at those, not so much at any real action. All bark. I WISH some of the players would try to bite back. Let's see if the players are bigger than the game.

Someone needs to remind the USGA that they aren't bigger than the game either. PGA tour has more money and more clout. If the usga keeps screwing it will eventually happen.

> > @umassgolfer said:

> > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > > > Maybe the PGA Tour should host their own open called "the new and improved open" Anything that marginalizes the usga is good by me.

> > > >

> > > > This seems about as likely as the PGA writing their own rules, independent of the USGA.

> > >

> > > It may seem like a long way off today but the reality come closer if they screw up Pebble. Warning shots have already been fired by many tour members.

> >

> > LOL yes. Warning shots. The players are great at those, not so much at any real action. All bark. I WISH some of the players would try to bite back. Let's see if the players are bigger than the game.

>

> Someone needs to remind the USGA that they aren't bigger than the game either. PGA tour has more money and more clout. If the usga keeps **** it will eventually happen.

For all the complaints, there were claims that 10 or maybe 15 players would boycott, and that was based largely on the DJ ruling situation. I have a hard time believing that any more than that would actually choose to turn down a chance at the biggest purse of the season, the chance for the FedEx Cup points that go with it, and the chance to win a major. These are individuals, not a unified mass, there are too many conflicting motivations for them ever to do this. It might be fun to talk about "putting the USGA in its place", but its not going to happen in any meaningful way.

1) USGA can run the Open as they see fit

2) players can b****, play, or not play

3) fans and posters in here can judge and comment

4)the money trail should be transparent.....

But this is not new. I grew up in the golf world. Three generations of golf professionals and I’m now 57.

There has been complaining and making fun of the USGA since I was a kid by people who were pretty good players. “Tricking up course”, arrogance etc....

In my opinion.....there has been a long term arrogance and elitist attitude at The USGA at high levels....I’ve played a handful of events...publinx, junior, senior and reg Open. I’ve run into some great people and dealt with some asshats.

Their recent performance is dreadful. Chambers Bay, Shinnecock x2, Merion, Pebble (pretty borderline x2) , DJ ruling etc. when you can keep posting examples of issues about an organisation that’s is about rules and competition, you probably have some issues that need sorting out.

Regarding Pebble.....I think having a new man who has been the US Am setup is good timing for Pebble. But....it doesn’t take long for Pebble to dry and firm up. The greens could get very crusty and bumpy. The greens have just enough slope where hole locations must be wise. And the 9th and 10th fairways, if they get too crazy could be a gong show. If they can resist their urges, it could be great.

.> @davep043 said:

> > > @umassgolfer said:

> > > > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > > > @davep043 said:

> > > > > > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > > > > Maybe the PGA Tour should host their own open called "the new and improved open" Anything that marginalizes the usga is good by me.

> > > > >

> > > > > This seems about as likely as the PGA writing their own rules, independent of the USGA.

> > > >

> > > > It may seem like a long way off today but the reality come closer if they screw up Pebble. Warning shots have already been fired by many tour members.

> > >

> > > LOL yes. Warning shots. The players are great at those, not so much at any real action. All bark. I WISH some of the players would try to bite back. Let's see if the players are bigger than the game.

> >

> > Someone needs to remind the USGA that they aren't bigger than the game either. PGA tour has more money and more clout. If the usga keeps **** it will eventually happen.

>

> For all the complaints, there were claims that 10 or maybe 15 players would boycott, and that was based largely on the DJ ruling situation. I have a hard time believing that any more than that would actually choose to turn down a chance at the biggest purse of the season, the chance for the FedEx Cup points that go with it, and the chance to win a major. These are individuals, not a unified mass, there are too many conflicting motivations for them ever to do this. It might be fun to talk about "putting the USGA in its place", but its not going to happen in any meaningful way.

I can't see Tiger or Phil boycotting the US Open the next few years, due to unhappiness with the USGA. Not a chance. Phil is going for his Grand Slam and the next two years are probably his last decent chances. Tiger is not going to bypass a major in the few years left he has to shoot for 18. As long as those two play, there would be so much interest and ratings that I don't think it would matter much at all if anyone else boycotted.

> @"mizuno player" said:

> I have zero issues with the USGA and the set up. Keep a mix of long and shorter course on the mix.

>

> I'll probably get roasted. It's one week one tournament.

> Augusta, PGA and RA all set up they way they want the course to play. USGA does the same. Are there times when hole locations go bad? Sure. They need to keep a better eye on the greens and hole locations. To me that's all.

> I enjoy watching the US Open where scores are +3 - -4 winning. It's what I expect from this tournament.

>

> The Master I know I'll see back nine birdies and eagles. PGA I expect to see a mix. Hard and easy holes. The Open is dependent on weather.

>

>

>

> The USGA could just let the course grow natural. No perfect fairways and greens unraked bunkers. After all aren't they "hazards"? Then send them out to have at it.

> Every June the best players will show to play. Every June a bunch that didn't play well will complain. And some that played well will complain. But everyone of those players know if they win they played some amazing golf on a difficult course. And be very happy to hold that trophy.

>

>

The number of posts in this thread that are more reasonable than this one is very, very small. Heck, it may be even less than 1.