2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

On 5/11/2023 at 11:45 AM, jcook10 said:

Just played HoE yesterday morning. Flew around in 3 hours teeing off at 6:40am. Surprisingly the course was a lot firmer than we have come to expect from the water logged normal conditions. However the greens were the worst I have ever seen for HoE. Bumpy and literally destroyed by ball marks very alarming from what is normally upper echelon public greens. 

Played out there last fall and the greens were awful, got back out again early this spring and the greens were even worse.   Didn't look like they did any maintenance on them during the off season and just let those ball marks sit.  I don't often say this, but I wonder if they need to raise the prices up a bit so they can put some money into maintaining them better, and perhaps get a little less play.  They've been one of the best values in the area, but I hate to see the course go to hell to keep that title.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Haven't posted in a while..... Game is LITERALLY in the toilet.   I have more over 90 rounds than sub 80 this  year.   Playing Seven Bridges this afternoon (part of our league).   Hopefully I'll get a revenge from last weekend, when despite making 3 birdies, carded a smooth 86 - who'd have thought triple bogeys (3) add up so quickly.   I love this game.... I love this game.... I love this game......

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

2 hours ago, stasek said:

Haven't posted in a while..... Game is LITERALLY in the toilet.   I have more over 90 rounds than sub 80 this  year.   Playing Seven Bridges this afternoon (part of our league).   Hopefully I'll get a revenge from last weekend, when despite making 3 birdies, carded a smooth 86 - who'd have thought triple bogeys (3) add up so quickly.   I love this game.... I love this game.... I love this game......

Seven Bridges isn't the first course that comes to mind when I pick a course to get some confidence back on...good luck and hope you turn things around.  This game is stupid.

Was supposed to play Flossmoor this morning, but I somehow managed to catch Covid so golf is off the table this weekend.  Probably just do some practicing next week, next weekend we're heading out to the quad cities for 36 at Fyre and 36 at Deere Run.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

6 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Seven Bridges isn't the first course that comes to mind when I pick a course to get some confidence back on...good luck and hope you turn things around.  This game is stupid.

Was supposed to play Flossmoor this morning, but I somehow managed to catch Covid so golf is off the table this weekend.  Probably just do some practicing next week, next weekend we're heading out to the quad cities for 36 at Fyre and 36 at Deere Run.

If you can take advantage of the front at Seven Bridges 1,2,4,9 are all "easier" and the par 3s are shorter, then you can score pretty well. 10 is a birdie hole then hold on for life the rest of the back 😂

• Haha 1

Not much of a revenge - unless you count beating your previous week’s 86 by one stroke 😀.  This time, the putter failed me miserably - lipped out first 3 putts, and instead of being 1 under through first 3 holes, wound up 2 over and things only got worse from there - 45 on front 🤬.  Played decent on the back, but couldn’t capitalize - basically reached both par 5s with a 6 iron, but shortsighted myself both times and could only muster pars.  Highlight of the day?  A friend playing right in front of us got a hole in one on 15 - pin tucked back right.  Only cost him $500 bar bill, but he’ll get a commemorative flag from the club house 😀.  Course was in decent condition (wet sand in bunkers), but the greens were pretty beat up.  

• Like 4

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

1 hour ago, Wolfhammer said:

I am having a procedure soon that will keep me from doing a full swing for about 4 weeks. Looking to take this opportunity to do some dedicated short game practice. Anyone know who has the best chipping/putting facilities in the Villa Park/Lombard/Oak Brook area?

The Preserve,  not really much in this area for short game.

• Thanks 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Our comp group played Saturday at HoE.  Prepared for the worst in terms of the greens, but other than being slow by HoE standards, they were in good to very good shape. Shocked by the lack of people playing, the forecast had improved so a full tee sheet seemed to be expected, especially at $75 for the round. Not on Saturday.  We teed off at 9:40 and never saw a group behind us during the entire round.  Wouldn't say we played fast at 4 hours, either.  Overall, conditions were very good, although the rain of Friday slowed the course down a bit.  It was nice to play in just a polo shortly after starting the round.

In our Stableford format, it was the highest average point total through 5 events so far this year as most brought a solid game.  Absent the occasional balky putter, this was a decent round although I missed 2 putts inside 5 feet which was disappointing. We've added a match play component back into the competition and I was matched up against the 1 guy in the group who always gets my competitive juices peaked.  Our match had 8 lead changes with the final being a 5 footer to win the match.  

This Saturday is Prairie Bluff and there's no rain in the forecast, as of now.  Think this week is going to be a putter tryout as nothing is feeling right.  It's gotta be the club and not me, right?

• Like 3

Is anyone a member at Flossmoor GC?

Fun thread, just started reading it today. 

I see some recent talk about Flossmoor GC - wondering if anyone is a club member and willing to chat with me about the experience? Thinking of joining, I have played the course but I'm more interested in the membership, pace/ease of tee times on the weekend, etc. I don't know anyone there.... just looking for an easy place to play golf! Let me know if anyone on this group might be someone good to chat with. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rhchi said:

Is anyone a member at Flossmoor GC?

Fun thread, just started reading it today. 

I see some recent talk about Flossmoor GC - wondering if anyone is a club member and willing to chat with me about the experience? Thinking of joining, I have played the course but I'm more interested in the membership, pace/ease of tee times on the weekend, etc. I don't know anyone there.... just looking for an easy place to play golf! Let me know if anyone on this group might be someone good to chat with. Thanks in advance.

Not one myself but know a couple.   They both rave about it.   I'd probably join myself if I were closer.  Everybody there seems pretty chill and the course is outstanding.  Hope that helps a little.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 5/15/2023 at 8:00 AM, Wolfhammer said:

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. For as good as Oak Brook's range is, the short game area is tiny. No where else is really worth mentioning. Guess I'll head over to the Preserve, thanks!

OMG. Was at the Oak Brook range today for the first time in a year or so. The chipping green is almost non-existent. The section to the east is no wider than 10' now. Ricockulous!

Edited by B-Man
  • Like 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

On 5/15/2023 at 10:13 AM, Quem24 said:

How about Fresh Meadows?

I spent a lot of time as a young man at their practice facility. It'll do the trick, but it's never nicely kept. They don't let you chip to the putting green, and the chipping greens generally aren't like real greens. They're just small sections with shorter (but not greens quality) grass contoured to look like a green. Call me picky, but when I work on chipping I really like being able to see how the ball reacts and rolls out, and those greens don't really cut it. That said there are 3 of them I think, with sand, so you can do some work.

Another option is the back green at Oak Brook's range. I think it's technically for range members but I've been shuttled back there without question many times. Only issue is it's a bit small and usually covered in range balls already. But if you want to do some chipping and bunker work and it's not packed it's a good spot.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chrisf60526 said:

New least favorite course in the area....Cog Hill.  Everything about it is money grab.  The course is in less than good shape and the cart fees are insane.   Walk you say?  Thats my preference but the walk on 1 or 3 is legit a mile.

I remember Cog being good back in the day but very disappointing.

... When Joe was alive he wouldn't allow cart paths on his courses, insisted on maintaining a pace pf play and kept the courses in excellent condition. It really is a shame they have gotten so far away from Joe's vision for bringing a country club feel to a public course. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

22 hours ago, chrisf60526 said:

New least favorite course in the area....Cog Hill.  Everything about it is money grab.  The course is in less than good shape and the cart fees are insane.   Walk you say?  Thats my preference but the walk on 1 or 3 is legit a mile.

I remember Cog being good back in the day but very disappointing.

I’m sure the mindset at Cog is, “Why bother maintaining something that won’t still be a golf course in a few years?” That sucks for obvious reasons. For a long time now, 1 and 3 have been courses to play in the Winter when nothing else is open while 2 and 4 have been overpriced but enjoyable. Not sure I understand the complaint about the walk though. Pretty much every course in the area sans the housing development monstrosities is between a 5.8-7.5 mile walk. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Bonnie Brook this Sunday. For the third year in a row, Bear and I are playing BBrook the weekend before Memorial Day weekend. In 2021, I overslept and met him on the third tee. In 2022, the same thing happened. Really hoping this stupid streak ends this year and I can wake up with a 4:30 AM alarm. 

• Like 4

Piretti Cottonwood II

Another great day on the golf course. Got my 5th and 5.75th round of the year in. 92 for the morning round, got through 14 holes on the second round, front nine shot a 46 (one better than the morning front 9) but 2nd back nine started poorly before we had to cut it short.

Games been shaping up nicely lately. Really getting the 3 wood going, if I can play an entire round keeping it in play and towards the green, I think I can shoot an 85. 

Chipping has been great this year, pitching pretty good, putting has been solid (especially that 8-20 foot range) and short irons pure. 

• Like 3

The weekend was fun… ish….Saturday…  Decent day at Arrowhead - 76, with 5 bogeys (one of the par 5s is being worked on, so I’m counting it as a par 4) and all pars otherwise.  Couldn’t make a putt to save my life, but otherwise no complaints.  Course is in great condition, with probably the best greens I’ve played all year (running around 11).  

Today…. Big Fun didn’t disappoint…. Friend’s 40th birthday left me „slightly” hung over, but a man has got to do what  a man has got to do…. Greens, in typical but not unexpected fashion, were running anywhere between 6 and 8.  Bunkers? Yes…. Little light on the sand, but otherwise decent.  Whoever set up the pin placement must have thought this was a US open qualifier - every single one was tucked 2-3 paces from the fringe, or on a severe downslope.  Rough?   Don’t get me started…. It might have been only coupe inches, but good luck hitting out of it.  It was a clown show…. I don’t think I’ve ever found so many balls abandoned by golfers, who couldn’t find their ball just couple paces off the fairway.  

Edited by stasek
  • Like 2

Busy week coming up. Redtail on Tuesday, Bowes Creek on Wednesday and Friday at Makray. I might have to buy some Aleve tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Bonnie Brook this morning. The course was in immaculate condition and we were playing right behind the guy rolling the greens so they were even firmer than usual. My ball striking wasn’t great with only 9 greens but I had two birdies on 5 and 11 and my wedges and putter bailed me out. 75. 
The weather was too perfect to only play one round. The problem is getting a tee time anywhere on a day like today at around 11:00. This is why Oak Grove exists. The course was playing really firm but the greens were awful. The bunkers were standard issue Oak Grove rock fests but I was only in one and was able to get up and down. No birdies but my ball striking was excellent. Highlight of the day was on 7. I hit a clunky drive that left me 171 out. Hit a 6 iron that hopped twice and disappeared into the hole. 73. 

• Like 3

Piretti Cottonwood II

11 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

Bonnie Brook this morning. The course was in immaculate condition and we were playing right behind the guy rolling the greens so they were even firmer than usual. My ball striking wasn’t great with only 9 greens but I had two birdies on 5 and 11 and my wedges and putter bailed me out. 75. 
The weather was too perfect to only play one round. The problem is getting a tee time anywhere on a day like today at around 11:00. This is why Oak Grove exists. The course was playing really firm but the greens were awful. The bunkers were standard issue Oak Grove rock fests but I was only in one and was able to get up and down. No birdies but my ball striking was excellent. Highlight of the day was on 7. I hit a clunky drive that left me 171 out. Hit a 6 iron that hopped twice and disappeared into the hole. 73. 

Been a few years since I've played BB.  I was a member there one summer when my family moved from out of state in the early 90s and the only other option nearby was Brae Loch.  It's a fun and fair layout and the conditioning has always been above average.    I've kicked around the idea of going back but the permanent tee times in the morning were a bit of a turnoff and have a pretty good thing going at Brighton Dale so I just stay there.  Played 18 yesterday morning in just over 2 hours and done by 8am.  

Edited by TBone0576
  • Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

Cantigny yesterday afternoon. Place was packed. Not sure about the free range balls when you're hitting of a worn out mat that's set in the middle of the sidewalk! Generally the course was in decent condition given that it was probably worn out over the whole weekend but it's losing it's lustre a bit as it the greens and surrounds have different types of grasses growing all over the place and not consistent at all. Overall condition 7/10. Game was decent and dry for most of the holes and wet on a few others.

• Like 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

First of 2 posts which is a warning about booking at Oak Grove as we're playing a traditional Memorial Day round there next Monday.  They require a CC to hold the reservation but they don't offer a secure connection. Encryption with digital certificates, especially on credit cards is the standard and has been forever but of course, it costs more to encrypt and use digital certificates and Golf Visions only cares about $.

Not sure if that's the case at other GV courses, but as usual, Tim Miles, Sr. sets a low bar and then some how finds a way to go under it.

• Like 3