Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

2 hours ago, mci711 said:

If you do want to use shipsticks and you have someone else going with you they have a flash bogo sale. 

Even with the BOGO for there and back, it’s almost $100. Flying Southwest out of ORD, free checked bag, probably just go that route. Then I can procrastinate and wait until the last night to pack it up. 

10 minutes ago, Symphonize said:

Even with the BOGO for there and back, it’s almost $100. Flying Southwest out of ORD, free checked bag, probably just go that route. Then I can procrastinate and wait until the last night to pack it up. 

Just used this for my Bandon trip next November. No idea on travel plans yet but you can always cancel for your money back less $10. Southwest currently flying non stop Midway to Portland daily, something they didn't always do. If that keeps up I might go that route and cancel SS.

20 hours ago, Symphonize said:

What travel bags is everyone using to drag your bags through ORD and MDW? Soft shell, hard shell, hybrid with the hard top? Looking to get one for an upcoming trip to Florida, not trying to break the bank

Club Glove, the mid-size fits most carry bags.

study, easy to drag around and get one in a bright color so it stands out in baggage claim.

I bolster mine with a few four foot long 1" dowel rods instead of the stiff arm, that also works pretty well.

there's a strap on the top so you can attach it to a rolling suitcase.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

1 minute ago, @_the_crook said:

Club Glove, the mid-size fits most carry bags.

study, easy to drag around and get one in a bright color so it stands out in baggage claim.

I bolster mine with a few four foot long 1" dowel rods instead of the stiff arm, that also works pretty well.

there's a strap on the top so you can attach it to a rolling suitcase.

... I have been using a club glove forever and it has worked really well. I did buy the stiff arm though. With woods just coming off the adaptor and stored in a pocket, not sure I needed it. I also put socks over my forged irons to protect them from the Baggage Handler Discus Throws.  

• Haha 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

I was waiting to board a plane a few years ago and was looking out the window at the baggage handlers unloading one of the planes. I saw a golf club travel bag get dumped out of the cargo hold on to the tarmac 10 feet below. The bag landed dead on its top. If there wasn't a stiff arm or dowel rod in the bag the woods were certainly broken.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 11/1/2023 at 8:18 PM, Symphonize said:

What travel bags is everyone using to drag your bags through ORD and MDW? Soft shell, hard shell, hybrid with the hard top? Looking to get one for an upcoming trip to Florida, not trying to break the bank

I use a 3 piece hard shell with locks, like a nesting doll type system. It's nearly 20 years old, not sure they even make them anymore. Way back when I had a typical hard case and it came off the plane with a 12 inch hole melted into it. From then on I decided safety over convenience. I've flown with it a couple times, and it was a bit annoying to deal with but nothing terrible, always break it down at the rental car. I mainly use it for Ship Sticks now, but if flying I'd have a hard time throwing my clubs in with a simple travel bag and stiff arm.

• Like 2

Royal Links of Glen Ellyn tomorrow. It's November so I'll take it.

• Like 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Played Dunne Friday.  This time of year is usually a personal fave.  Don't mind the temps and you "normally" scoot around the course. Checking in around 9:30, I asked how the tee sheet looked, the pro shop person chuckled and said, "You're the third group of the day, the group in front of you teed off 45 minutes ago." Then he ominously added, "Expect a 5 hour round."

How is that possible? It was cart paths only but my thought was 3 hours.

Well, the group that teed off 45 minutes before us, was caught as we got to the SECOND tee box. It wasn't a 5 hour round, more like 5:15. These guys were oblivious to anyone or anything.  Thought they'd let us go ahead on 3 but um, no. So we spent the remainder of the round waiting on every single shot.  We thought at least at the turn we could pass them but that was the only hole they played somewhat fast.

Has the opportunity to chat with the GM and asked about the bunkers and why they always sucked.  He claimed that all the bunkers are "below the water table" and it would take the Army Core of Engineers to redo them and the park district wasn't going to invest in that. Not sure if either statement is true but at least it's a marginally plausible explanation.  Other than the bunkers and a bit of wetness, the course was leaf free, and the greens were decent.  It's fall golf, can't expect much more other than a 3 hour round.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Hilldale Sunday and HoE Monday! Gotta squeeze it in before the white crap rolls in…

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

White Hawk this morning. Bear made the trip from Grayslake to join me. The frost delay went from an hour to 30 minutes to 15 minutes, but we had some fog early on. The time change really helped out since the sun was up to burn through the fog and frost. The course was very wet and the rough in some spots was spongy. Not an issue for walkers but I was surprised it was 90° for carts and not CPO. The greens were pretty quick once the moisture dissipated. Bunkers had wet, compacted sand, so they were easy to hit out of. I had 3 birdies (5 Grey and 1 and 5 Silver). Bear had a near ace on 1 Silver but his tee shot lipped out. 73. I find out what date I get my knee scoped on Tuesday so this might be my last round of the season. I’m really looking forward to not playing with a big knee brace, though it doesn’t seem to be impacting my game all that much. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Highlands of Elgin this morning...$37 lol.  This should be a crime.  Anyhow, course was near perfect other than you could not hit a putt hard enough to get it to the hole.  Then the winds came up on the back 9 and it got tough.  This is usually how we end our season but the weather has been so darn nice, we shall see...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

White Hawk this morning. Bear made the trip from Grayslake to join me. The frost delay went from an hour to 30 minutes to 15 minutes, but we had some fog early on. The time change really helped out since the sun was up to burn through the fog and frost. The course was very wet and the rough in some spots was spongy. Not an issue for walkers but I was surprised it was 90° for carts and not CPO. The greens were pretty quick once the moisture dissipated. Bunkers had wet, compacted sand, so they were easy to hit out of. I had 3 birdies (5 Grey and 1 and 5 Silver). Bear had a near ace on 1 Silver but his tee shot lipped out. 73. I find out what date I get my knee scoped on Tuesday so this might be my last round of the season. I’m really looking forward to not playing with a big knee brace, though it doesn’t seem to be impacting my game all that much. 

Good luck with the knee.  ACL or MCL?  In 2021, played nearly the entire season with a huge brace on the left knee after a partial tear. Being someone who gets the majority of the weight on the front foot, not sure I could have swung without the brace.

Edited by DavePelz4
Updated
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

Good luck with the knee.  ACL or MCL?  In 2021, played nearly the entire season with a huge brace on the left knee after a partial tear. Being someone who gets the majority of the weight on the front foot, not sure I could have swung without the brace.

Tore my left meniscus. Running on concrete and asphalt led to the tear. Constantly flexing my left knee via my golf swing made it worse. I loathe the brace but I don’t think I could’ve played for the last two months without it. 

Edited by ldchristopher

Piretti Cottonwood II

15 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

Tore my left meniscus. Running on concrete and asphalt led to the tear. Constantly flexing my left knee via my golf swing made it worse. I loathe the brace but I don’t think I could’ve played for the last two months without it. 

I had my right knee scoped a few years ago after tearing the meniscus. They cut out roughly half of it. The knee is fine for day to day activities, but it feels unstable when swinging a club. I wear neoprene weightlifting knee sleeves for any strenuous activities. Helps provide some support, and the heat build-up increases blood flow. I've tried numerous knee braces, but most are either too bulky/restrictive, or simply stretch out and fall down. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

2 hours ago, Shriner said:

Highlands of Elgin this morning...$37 lol.  This should be a crime.  Anyhow, course was near perfect other than you could not hit a putt hard enough to get it to the hole.  Then the winds came up on the back 9 and it got tough.  This is usually how we end our season but the weather has been so darn nice, we shall see...

Wow. $37 with a cart or walking? Either way, $2 per hole ain't bad at HoE.

2 hours ago, orange14 said:

Wow. $37 with a cart or walking? Either way, $2 per hole ain't bad at HoE.

Walking. I ride 75% of the time but wanted to get the blood flowing in the cold - not an easy walk but enjoyed it nonetheless.

830am tee time. Very short frost delay and very slow greens. Got borderline hot with two layers on before it got windy around hole 5-6 and was comfortable the rest of the day. 

Love that course and property. Love the fall prices and conditions and love the layout. If that was the end (which it doesn’t look like), it’s always an awesome way to go out. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

Wow!  I had torn my left meniscus doing can lights in my attic.  Had the surgery that @Argonne69 is referring to and after about 3-4 months, I was back to running.  It felt like I was running on a pillow, it was so good.  Then playing soccer with my son and I planted wrong...somehow more pain than when meniscus was torn and I don't feel like going through another MRI and surgery.  I can still run and play golf, just a nagging pain.  Best of luck to you.  As you probably know, the physical therapy is all that matters.

A buddy reached out to play Sunday, we were both stunned by the rates in the area, hard to find anything less than $70 in November was eye opening. Ended up with Prairie Landing, pretty steep for this time of year, but was willing to do so since it might be the last time out. Course was in great shape, had been aerated a month ago and healed up quite well. Greens ran quite quick, definitely not the November slow greens I'm used to. I think we had maybe one putt in our group made outside 10 feet. Wind played 1-2 clubs at times, airport was really busy, as expected given the weather.

Game continues to be extremely hit and miss, ball striking too spotty and previously reliable short game gone missing. Holes that I used to scramble for par on are now bogeys or doubles, too many big numbers mixed in with solid holes. Somehow put up 2 eagles in the midst of an 85, so that kind of round.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Shriner said:

Wow!  I had torn my left meniscus doing can lights in my attic.  Had the surgery that @Argonne69 is referring to and after about 3-4 months, I was back to running.  It felt like I was running on a pillow, it was so good.  Then playing soccer with my son and I planted wrong...somehow more pain than when meniscus was torn and I don't feel like going through another MRI and surgery.  I can still run and play golf, just a nagging pain.  Best of luck to you.  As you probably know, the physical therapy is all that matters.

This all sounds so familiar. Left knee was barking for years, would pop out of place when reading a putt and I'd have to force it back out. Doc said not to worry about it until it was a problem. Well this past winter it became a problem, but before I could get it looked at got back to like 95%. Could run, bike, golf and carry on it, but some walking hurt. Was back to normal this fall when I tweaked it warming up one of my pitchers, then got worse when crouching to take meat out of my smoker. That was about a month ago and oddly feels back to normal again. I know I should get it looked at, but I know I don't want to go through with any surgery/rehab, so I'm playing blissfully ignorant for now. Best of luck to the rest of you, it's a nuisance.

• Like 1

Hurt my knee in the early summer. Luckily no tear. Thing that hurts the most is squatting down to line up my ball when putting. Physical therapy twice and week and the  extremely  fun activity in this picture has helped quite a bit 😂 I turned 30 and my body has plummeted. Went from training for a marathon to needing my putter to stand up after reading a putt. 

20231102_092551.jpg

As one of the older, if not oldest contributor in this group, I'll share that it's just not going to get better for anyone.  I laugh at thinking that just 10 years ago nothing hurt and walking 36 was nothing. It's easier to list what doesn't hurt now, nor needs pre-round treatment...just the elbows.

Hell, just found out the recent round at Dunne, where I hit an overly saturated spot walking off the 15th green, slipped, cracking my noggin and having my back landed on the putter head, provided my fifth concussion and a lower back contusion. Ah the joys of getting old.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

My dad has had health issues for as long as I’ve been alive. He refuses to share them with people for fear of opening Pandora’s Box. “My fake body parts and heart procedures are my business. No one else’s.”  My dad is much smarter than me. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

Not in town this week so no golf at my regular courses. . I will just have to suck it up and play Hapuna tomorrow. We got a great deal to play there so we couldn’t pass it up. 

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

23 hours ago, mci711 said:

Hurt my knee in the early summer. Luckily no tear. Thing that hurts the most is squatting down to line up my ball when putting. Physical therapy twice and week and the  extremely  fun activity in this picture has helped quite a bit 😂 I turned 30 and my body has plummeted. Went from training for a marathon to needing my putter to stand up after reading a putt. 

20231102_092551.jpg

For me it was around age 35.  Prior to that, invincible.  In the last 3-ish years, now have occasional back issues, bicep tendinitis in my shoulder that wont heal, some degree of plantar in my heel.  

Its so awesome lol.