2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tourstriker Planemate

Hopefully this is guiding me to a better swing because after the first two days with this aid I have lost the ability to hit any full swing. Everything I do without it on is a bad shank or I've just completely lost distance. It's like I lost all feel for my full swing. I think I just need to stay the course and see where it gets me.

The PM promotes steep to shallow (backswing time downswing). What Kobe mentioned I believe we both brought up earlier - if you aren’t careful and using mirrors or video, you can get a backswing that’s flat, not steep as the band will pull your wrists/hands to a very laid off position at the top. Just something to be mindful of.

Did the day 2 protocol and holy crap did I learn some things about the swing. I haven't been rotating nearly enough in the forward swing - I now can feel what it's like to finish with my pressure in my front heel (and can also feel what rotating into my trail heel on the backswing should feel like, instead of the swaying I've been doing). The one handed swings were interesting - front arm was definitely more difficult for me than the trail arm, in going from the address position to the finish position, and then later with the (ping pong) ball. It's been more difficult than expected, but I'm really enjoying this so far.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

I finally had some time to mess around with my new PlaneMate. I went to just set it up and had some problems with the clamp being really slippery especially the larger setting. I watched Martin's video where he mentions using sand paper or tape to alleviate this issue. Does anyone have anyone have any other tricks for keeping these clamps secure? I'll try the sand paper this weekend when I have more time.

Problem is a good amount of the videos of people using the planemate look extremely flat. Just look at the instagram video posted with the gentlemen in the white shirt. That is no where near steep, in fact it's extremely flat. It can be a good product, it just has to be used with caution. It's not an end all be all. The majority of good swings I see with it are people who shallow it in the first place. Example, Mel Reid/ Rory/ Etc.

Finished just the day 1 protocol last night. I will move forward through the protocols once my mat and foam golf balls come in so i can get some instant feedback. Took some swings hitting some ping pong balls after the protocols and it gets addicting when you see yourself getting in positions that have evaded you your entire golfing life. I know its only day 1 but I cant wait to get back to work!

You need to get in front of a mirror. Don’t let the club get behind you or the shaft anything other than vertical until transition. I thought I had it dialed initially and once I got in front of a mirror I was crazy laid off. I had to feel like the shaft was ‘over vertical’ to get it anywhere close. Use the green full swing band to make sure you aren’t getting pulled down so hard. If you are a laid off swinger at all, you WILL experience this without a mirror.

• Like 1

On day 5 and the clip moves quite easily when a lot of tension is on it (moving the shaft vertical). Tried to put 1 piece of tape on like recommended it and didn't really help, anyone put more on or solve the issue another way? Project X 6.5 shaft.

Might redo day 5 as well, was getting the shallow down but the follow through was crossing me up.

Boys. Possibly some girls. Take your time in doing these drills. It is NOT the contact and the ball flight you're chasing. You are engraining the feels and motions and muscle memories. If things don't feel right, then it's probably a good thing because you've been swinging wrong a long time. I'm telling you, after having this planemate and using it only sparingly, thus far, that I've been doing the golf swing wrong and I'm excited for what is to come.

I will say that, I am concerned in the plastic connector that attached to the club. I am not getting that "rigid" or "lasting" feeling from this. Thinking aluminum could have been the way to go so long as it held its shape. Steel or other metals would be too heavy and throw off feel.

• Like 1

This is really helpful advice.

Day 4 today and miles better. Paid no attention at all to what was happening with the ball in doing the drills. Realised that I wasn't following the relax instruction in the transition, tried doing that and it seemed to make a massive difference.

Hopefully back to decent striking again soon.

Yeah it’s exactly why most people never improve. They can get lessons, training aids, work on drills on their own, but abandon them in short order because it “feels weird” and they either go chasing something else (and repeat the cycle) or go back to what’s comfortable - which is the wrong move/swing they’re used to.

The key is to realize that it feels weird now, but it will eventually be the new normal if you stick with it.

• Like 1

Had day 1 with mine yesterday. I've only spent about 20mins with it, but it showed me just how much width I was eating up on the downswing by overusing the arms and relying less on the pivot. Definitely forces me to swing the arms out in front of the body.

Range session without it for wedges was great. The concept alone of keeping that width is instant for pitches. 4/5 iron about 50% success. Which I'll take for day 1 and having not watched the protocol (I know, terrible)

When I did strike those irons I was just amazed at how little arms I need to hit the ball crisp and long. My every instinct is fighting against it, but I can't argue with the feel of that pivoted center strike.

My iron striking is definitely the best part of my game, but this feeling simplifies the process ten fold. I've been making it very hard on myself being so upper body focused.

Protocols, here I come.