Stange/Funny Things in Heard in Your Golf Shop/At Your Course/Range

WristySwing

Everyone knows the phrase "Topped it" right?

All my life, the reverse of that has been "Skied it", as in you hit underneath the ball and popped it up

Well last week I heard somebody saying that they "Undered it" and I really haven't been able to recover

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

> @fillwelix said:

> Everyone knows the phrase "Topped it" right?

>

> All my life, the reverse of that has been "Skied it", as in you hit underneath the ball and popped it up

>

> Well last week I heard somebody saying that they "Undered it" and I really haven't been able to recover

Someone I play with once told me when I was doing this “Geeze that’s coming down with Ice on it” that of course is minus about 4 other words I can’t type here.

> @capking said:

> > @fillwelix said:

> > Everyone knows the phrase "Topped it" right?

> >

> > All my life, the reverse of that has been "Skied it", as in you hit underneath the ball and popped it up

> >

> > Well last week I heard somebody saying that they "Undered it" and I really haven't been able to recover

>

> Someone I play with once told me when I was doing this “Geeze that’s coming down with Ice on it” that of course is minus about 4 other words I can’t type here.

If your ball doesn't reach an altitude of 30,000 feet, did you really under it?

WITB

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

My brother was on a par five and had not been able to reach the green in two, he hits a great 2nd shot that rolls up onto the green and went between a senior ladies legs. He rushed up to apologize and she replied... "that's ok luv its been a while since i had a ball between my legs" my brother almost pissed himself....

this senior lady is a icon at our club, she is a widow and it is said that she still got 18 in the day she buried her husband....

• Like 2

> @mesquite2 said:

> 2 things I hear almost every day, "what time will the frost go away" & " how come it gets dark so early now "

"When do you plan on removing the frost?"

WITB

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

One of the times Jack Nicklaus came in with his son and architect, and started saying how he wanted to take out this tree that was integral to the hole. “I think a bunker would be better instead of that tree” he said in his squeaky voice. We were all perplexed because that tree was/is the only obstacle on that hole, but it’s Jack Nicklaus and you know we said, “yeah sure.” He says his goodbyes and finally walks out and Jackie and the architect look at us and say, “no f****** way does that tree come out”

This story wasn’t in the clubhouse...

Another story from years before, some tees had been moved over and for awhile there was two sets of tees, but play didn’t warrant two sets so the original set on the right was plowed under leaving only the left. Some time passes and Jack comes out and rides around sees the course etc, gets to this hole and stops, gets out looks around and says, “didn’t the tee box used to be over here?” It was explained what had happened, he gets back in his cart saying, “well you had a good hole until you moved the tees over here.” Took about a week to move the tees back to the right side of the path.

Decades ago I was playing at Naval Air Station golf course and the runway and taxiway were parallel next to a hole. Pilots would wave it was so close and we knew many of them. Depending on the wind direction, they would either be taking off on full afterburner, or doing field carrier landing practice (FCLP) abeam of the tee box on the runway parallel to the tee.

There was a crosswind one morning and the smell of burning rubber was wafting across the tee box after each landing. One of the guys grins and says. "Man, that smells like me and my girlfriend last night!"

Another time I was playing at an Air Force golf course. Just in case you didn't know, the air force usually builds 36 holes on a base, then tries to figure out where to put a runway or two...

An old retired enlisted air force guy was paired up with us. He was a nice guy, but maybe not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. We turned after nine holes and he got a hot dog at the little shack at the turn. As we got to the 10th green, the cart path was pretty far from the green, maybe 40 yards away. Crows hang out in the trees by the cart path and swoop down to get the food from carts after the players have walked to the green.

The old guy starts yelling and starts to run back to the cart as the crows are stealing his lunch out of the cart.

He says, "Them darn crows get my food _every_ time I play here!"

I asked him how often he played and he said about three times per week. As I said, he wasn't the sharpest guy...

• Like 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Good ol' friend of mine and I are at a stay n play for a scramble having a great time and a few pops. My buddy's struggling a bit so I throw the ol' "you know why they call it golf, right Don"?

I know he's heard this a thousand times but before he can respond with a NSFW response, I say (mistakenly) "'cause all the other four LEGGED words were taken". He kind of looks at me funny when we both realize what I'd mistakenly said and we both rolled. It's a fav of ours to this day.

My son's an asst at a course a few years ago and is given some ProV's stamped with "ACTION ON SIDE". Come to find out, the course "ate" a few boxes of these the previous year because one of the assts was asked by a member to order them with "ACTION on the side of the ball" and that's what was ordered.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

• 2 weeks later...

> @mesquite2 said:

> 2 things I hear almost every day, "what time will the frost go away" & " how come it gets dark so early now "

How about getting calls if its raining on the course? Or what is the temperature?

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

> @youngwaldo said:

> > @mesquite2 said:

> > 2 things I hear almost every day, "what time will the frost go away" & " how come it gets dark so early now "

>

> How about getting calls if its raining on the course? Or what is the temperature?

>

> Wk

I've heard those are common. I have also heard a common call is singles getting upset they can't book a tee time (not hating against singles, I always play as one). Conversely, you might have a two or threesome who never want to join up with anyone.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I had a member comes in from the course one day mad as hell stating we lost his head cover. I told him i would see what I can do and I would replace it if it was our mistake. While he went in to have lunch I called the evening shift staff from the previous night if they recall seeing Mr Lovey Member's headcover when they stored it. They all said it was all there when they stored it. I had a feeling what had happened After a quick search and asking the other staff members to search the bag storage no luck whatso ever. The third group that got done came into the shop stating they found a headcover out on the course. Well well well, just as I thought. I went into the grill room with the headcover and handed to him. The comment he said was so typical of how he is as a human being. His Comment so all can hear in the grill room "I see you found it, so which one of your staff took it for his collection." My response was loud also " You dropped it on the course and Mr member behind you found it and brought it in. It would be nice now to apology to the outside staff for accusing them of stealing it." No joke my exact words. He couldnt say anything but just look at me. My best day ever.

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

• 3 weeks later...

A German tourist came in after playing and complained about how easy the golf course was- "it's like a training course, for beginners.." I told him the course record was 63 set by a local who is a touring pro, and asked him (with no hint of sarcasm) how many under par he was. He shut up and immediately left.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!

Doesn't surprise me at all. Have had a number of people when I worked big box retail pass on a clearly superior club because it was senior or regular flex when their paltry 85mph swing speeds require the stiffest of the stiff shafts on the market of course. I'm just a retail idiot who doesn't know what he is talking about. Or better yet, I've had people pass on a club because it was a different brand (usually your Taylormade or Titleist die-hards) that noticeably outperformed the model they were interested in.

• Like 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Oddly enough when I went for my most recent fitting the guy just assumed I was a TM fanboy because I had an M2 (though was swapping between that and a ST180) and only brought out the M3 and M4 heads to test. I told him to go back and bring me everything lol

• Like 1

WITB

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

• 3 weeks later...

I can’t help my relate my golf course bathroom story. I go into the bathroom and this guy is standing their with

hands stretched out. I must have gave him a look, like what are you doing. He said will you and find an employee to get

their rearend in here ( he used a different term for rearend) I’m making the turn and I want to get going. This

time I know I gave him another one of those looks. He said read the sign, it says “Employees will wash your hands”

He was dead serious. Rather than say “Are you G—D— serious. I just had to get out of their.

• Like 1

I just thought of another story I should relate. Our annual golf course Calcutta. You would form your own

4 person team, their was a minimum total handicap you had to have. The night before, we had a party to

draw for the Pro that was going to join your team. After that, their was an auction and anyone could buy

a team. If somebody other than group bought your team, normally who ever bought it would sell 1/2 back

to you so you so you had a vested interest in doing your best. Some teams could sell for upwards of 8-10k.

Sorry, had to give you some background. Our pro was a min tour player, not long, but normally very consistent.

He had a 2-3 hole stretch where he came up a club short from a mishit. The 20 handicap (he could putt and

we needed him to meet the minimum). The 20 handicap told the Pro if he was going to consistently come

up short from the mishit, why didn’t he just use 1 extra club. We were laughing so hard we were crying.

Back when I was an Assistant Pro at my local club, we used to get the most ridiculous questions asked in phone calls (as I'm sure you all know).

One guy called me and said: "Hey, is it raining as hard over there as it is on the East side of town?"

I said: "I don't know sir. I'm not on the East side of town."

Also - guy calls in early fall: "What's the weather calling for the second week of March?"