MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

I too am interested in the Stability shaft, and was looking for some insight from folks who have it on a Reno, so appreciate the insight @SwingBlues !

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

To any of the testers or @labgolf ... i am a claw putter...does this change anything with the DF putter?

Reading through 2/4 pages i didn’t see anyone comment on their actually grip and how it makes and impact so I’m guessing no.

Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/ 

> @Benzo said:

> To any of the testers or @labgolf ... i am a claw putter...does this change anything with the DF putter?

>

> Reading through 2/4 pages i didn’t see anyone comment on their actually grip and how it makes and impact so I’m guessing no.

I can't speak to a claw grip, but I putt left-hand-low and I've haven't had to make an adjustment or any compensations due to my grip.

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

> @Benzo said:

> To any of the testers or @labgolf ... i am a claw putter...does this change anything with the DF putter?

>

> Reading through 2/4 pages i didn’t see anyone comment on their actually grip and how it makes and impact so I’m guessing no.

The idea with the grip is to complement the forward lean of the shaft. The press aspect will not impact anything from a feel standpoint. To make room for the tilt, all of the grips we offer are a bit larger. Claw folks really seem to like our OG and 1.L grips. Both are oval shaped and complement a claw nicely. The OG is our smallest offering and the 1.L is the largest.

• Like 1

> @chetterchez said:

> I received my Reno 2.1 last night. Does anyone know what the purpose of the red plastic piece on top of the Press Grip 1.L? My plastic piece is barely sticking out of the top of the grip and not easily moved. I don't want to mess with it if it's supposed to be there for a reason.

It is there to allow a hook for use in the revealer. You can pop it out with a needle nose.

> @labgolf said:

> > @chetterchez said:

> > I received my Reno 2.1 last night. Does anyone know what the purpose of the red plastic piece on top of the Press Grip 1.L? My plastic piece is barely sticking out of the top of the grip and not easily moved. I don't want to mess with it if it's supposed to be there for a reason.

>

> It is there to allow a hook for use in the revealer. You can pop it out with a needle nose.

Good deal!

> @labgolf said:

> > @Benzo said:

> > To any of the testers or @labgolf ... i am a claw putter...does this change anything with the DF putter?

> >

> > Reading through 2/4 pages i didn’t see anyone comment on their actually grip and how it makes and impact so I’m guessing no.

>

> The idea with the grip is to complement the forward lean of the shaft. The press aspect will not impact anything from a feel standpoint. To make room for the tilt, all of the grips we offer are a bit larger. Claw folks really seem to like our OG and 1.L grips. Both are oval shaped and complement a claw nicely. The OG is our smallest offering and the 1.L is the largest.

Claw grip here. Totally agree. I have the original Press grips and it really sits well in my hands. The left thumb sits so comfortably down the left side of the grip and the right hand in the pistol/claw just comes right in. Perfect. So much so, sometimes I carry the putter with just the left hand with claw grip. I much prefer the oval shaped Press grip than the rectangular shaped Super Strokes, it just nicely snug fit into purlicue. I have regular size hands.

Also, the finish on the original Press grip is impressive, it's not tacky so it attracts no dust, cleans easily and works good in the rain or the heat with sweaty hands. It's lasted for the years I have had it, no fade, wear or tears from use or cracks from the sun - truly a great job at picking the quality of material in the build, Bill! (pre-LAB, sorry Sam)

One last note, whatever grip you use, the Press grip is vertical so it's the same shaft angle if you set your hands at the top of the grip, middle or at the bottom (my preferred position). AFAIK, it's kinda unique & cool for a putter with forward press built :)

Hope this helps. And NO I AM NOT A TESTER, didn't get pick but I've owned my DF for couple of years now, best putter in town, imho.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

> @SwingBlues said:

> > @labgolf said:

> > > @Benzo said:

One last note, whatever grip you use, the Press grip is vertical so it's the same shaft angle if you set your hands at the top of the grip, middle or at the bottom (my preferred position). AFAIK, it's kinda unique & cool for a putter with forward press built :)

>

I was thinking about this last night. If the lie angle is the same no matter where you set your hands, which was my estimation, lie angle should remain the same if you shorten the shaft, correct?

> @chetterchez said:

> > @SwingBlues said:

> > > @labgolf said:

> > > > @Benzo said:

> One last note, whatever grip you use, the Press grip is vertical so it's the same shaft angle if you set your hands at the top of the grip, middle or at the bottom (my preferred position). AFAIK, it's kinda unique & cool for a putter with forward press built :)

> >

>

> I was thinking about this last night. If the lie angle is the same no matter where you set your hands, which was my estimation, lie angle should remain the same if you shorten the shaft, correct?

>

The lie angle itself does not change but something would have to change to make the lie FEEL the same, i.e spine tilt or grip adjustment

Still wish I had the chance to test one of these. Of all the test giveaways on here I would have rather been picked for this one.

I just don’t know where I can see one in person before buying.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> Still wish I had the chance to test one of these. Of all the test giveaways on here I would have rather been picked for this one.

>

> I just don’t know where I can see one in person before buying.

Agreed. Simply no way I can justify spending that much on a putter without ever seeing one in person or rolling a few to test.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

@labgolf @granata10 @SwingBlues

Long winded initial review if interested. I’ll follow back up after some time on a practice green and/or a round or two.

I rolled probably 100 or more putts throughout the day while at work Friday. This is typical as I will wear a headset and putt while on a conference call, sales call, etc...

I haven't been to the course yet or even rolled it on actual grass so I'm trying my best to temper my expectations and excitement but I freaking love this thing!

As for me personally, I'm a 6 handicap and consider myself a pretty average putter (for a 6 handicap). I rarely 3 putt but I also don't run in a bunch of 8+ footers in with consistency. What's worse is most of the time, my confidence on the greens is lacking and I'm still a decent putter. I started really playing golf after college and I'm now 32. I have used "larger" mallets the vast majority of the last 10 years because they travelled truer distance on off center hits. The only time I was fit for a putter, I let them put me in a blade and that lasted maybe 9 months. I just didn't have a consistent enough stroke to not mishit a 40' putt badly enough for it to not leave me a long second putt from time to time. I've been putting with the 2 Ball Fang the past 3-4 years. I played the ball a bit forward in my stance.

Again, I've only rolled the Reno 2.1 on a mat but, it's the same mat that I roll 100+ putts on every day with my current putter and a few others so this is all relative as it’s not actual golf but is comparative to other putts on the same mat. All that being said, for me, the Reno 2.1 is EASY in every sense. Easy to line up, easy to swing, easy to roll. I don't really know how to put this in to words but it's like you don't know or realize what torque is in regards to your putter or your putter stroke until it's not there. I'm not saying it's impossible to make a bad stroke with the Reno but it's a lot harder than even my forgiving 2 Ball Fang.

The natural forward press is absolutely genius. I hadn't forward pressed in the past because of using bigger mallets and I liked to go straight back/straight thru with very little release of the putter head. I always pictured it as where a watch face would be on my lead wrist staying straight down my aim line. If I released the putter early or too much, I'd pull it. If I went a little too much inside on the back stroke, I'd push it. All of that (stuff) that you have to do with other putters, you don't have to do with the Reno2.1.

You literally set up, make a good shoulder turn and your job is over. No more manipulating the putter face with your hands, which again, is one of those things that you don't realize you do until you don't have to do it. No more "thin" or "fat" putts which is what I struggled with when I did try to forward press with the blade I was fit for.

As for the “muted” feel off the face, it’s definitely not as springy as my 2 Ball Fang with the insert. I didn’t find this either good or bad, just different. One positive to the feel of the putter face itself is that it felt more uniform on off center hits whereas with the 2 Ball Fang, off center hits don’t give you that same “spring” as when you roll it from the sweet spot.

I did buy my Reno2.1 from the classifieds (sorry @labgolf ) and I did not get fit for the proper lie. HOWEVER, the ONLY reason I did this was because I change my putting stance (height, bend, feet width, etc...) all the time. I know that's probably not the best plan of action but I don't feel like I'm a good enough putter to do something that doesn't feel comfortable any given day. In a way, that’s even more of a testament to this putter.

All of that being said, I’ve picked up hundreds of putters and know they won’t work for me within a few rolls. This is definitely not one of those.

Looking forward to hitting the course!

• Like 2

> @ryan983 said:

> @labgolf

>

> Have you guys done any testing on the stability shaft vs the standard black shaft? been using the 2.1 since it first came out....it’s been a huge benefit to my game. You have the best putter on the market and it’s not even close.

We have but nothing too specific. Those who get it mostly seem to love it though tough to quantify it's usefulness.

> @labgolf said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > Still wish I had the chance to test one of these. Of all the test giveaways on here I would have rather been picked for this one.

> >

> > I just don’t know where I can see one in person before buying.

>

> Have you checked the fitting locator on the website?

Yep looks like victory custom golf outside Charlotte is closest. Around 3 hours one way.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Update

Just a reminder that putting is the my worst part of my game. Never have confidence in my putter for more than a few rounds.

After my initial few rounds with the putter which were very good. I had a bad day putting so I started changing things around and things went bad

I swore I was the most comfortable with my hands in a low position causing the toe to be off the ground. I send Sam a picture knowing it wasn’t a correct fit. Sure enough after Sam did another remote fitting. My lie was 63 and the putter was a 68 lie.

Here’s the unbelievable part Sam said he would send me a new putter in a exchange for the one I had. No charge.

This was 2 weeks or so ago. I still continued to use the putter I had. I played last weekend putting with the toe off the ground with not so good results.

I played this weekend still waiting on the new putter. knowing I had to change things around keeping the putter flat on the ground. I had great results for Me With 30,29 and 27 putts a round. The putter really rolls the ball well. My confidence came back after the first round.

Fortunately for me and horrible for Sam his milling

Machine has been down and he never made my putter. So I texted him to canceled the new putter. I’m relieved to cancel. I felt uncomfortable getting a new putter Because of the changes I made after a bad round.

Moving forward I know that this putter will give me the best chance of putting the ball in the hole. My search for the holy grail has ended. I guess it’s easier to blame the equipment than the operator.

Thanks again Sam

> @bladehunter said:

> > @labgolf said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > Still wish I had the chance to test one of these. Of all the test giveaways on here I would have rather been picked for this one.

> > >

> > > I just don’t know where I can see one in person before buying.

> >

> > Have you checked the fitting locator on the website?

>

> Yep looks like victory custom golf outside Charlotte is closest. Around 3 hours one way.

If you are willing to buy blind, the remote fitting process is extremely accurate. If not, hold tight. We are working on trying to get some Carolina accounts opened up.

Fitter in NKy or Cincinnati, Ohio areas?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

> @labgolf said:

> > @Benzo said:

> > To any of the testers or @labgolf ... i am a claw putter...does this change anything with the DF putter?

> >

> > Reading through 2/4 pages i didn’t see anyone comment on their actually grip and how it makes and impact so I’m guessing no.

>

> The idea with the grip is to complement the forward lean of the shaft. The press aspect will not impact anything from a feel standpoint. To make room for the tilt, all of the grips we offer are a bit larger. Claw folks really seem to like our OG and 1.L grips. Both are oval shaped and complement a claw nicely. The OG is our smallest offering and the 1.L is the largest.

nice to see you on the forum.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @labgolf said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @labgolf said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > Still wish I had the chance to test one of these. Of all the test giveaways on here I would have rather been picked for this one.

> > > >

> > > > I just don’t know where I can see one in person before buying.

> > >

> > > Have you checked the fitting locator on the website?

> >

> > Yep looks like victory custom golf outside Charlotte is closest. Around 3 hours one way.

>

> If you are willing to buy blind, the remote fitting process is extremely accurate. If not, hold tight. We are working on trying to get some Carolina accounts opened up.

Well. Lord knows I’m guilty of buying blind plenty of times. So that’s not the only roadblock. Unfortunately this has come at the end of my rope. Pretty convinced that my issues are all mental. I’m fresh off a tournament round where my thought to be savior , the armlock , made nothing. A 74 with zero made putts is never confidence inspiring.

Short synopsis of my tendency and woes.

0.8 handicap , 74.7 scoring average ( as of today ) player who struggles to hole putts. Tendency is alignment miss left . Left eye dominant righty. Stroke is a bit wonky in that I struggle with the back swing . I tend to hold the putter off not swinging on an arc inside. Mimicking my full swing I believe. As I don’t suck it inside there either. Lately ( last 3 months ) I’ve practiced adding arc , but still feels very uncontrollable. Like a purposeful hook.

Does this putter address any of that ? Lol.

I guess I should read more on it and answer that for myself.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock