Increasing LPGA popularity

LICC

Women’s sports In general don’t get viewership or a following. There’s too many other options that are more exciting. Golf is a niche sport and even more so on the women’s side. Investors/sponsors aren’t going to pa lt significantly more when there’s not an equal roi.

Augusta is open for a small period of time and holding the women’s amateur, masters and an lpga event cuts into the members playing time. The chances of holding all 3 there are probably slim or they would have to cut the women’s amateur for lpga event. I also think the women should find something that they can make their own. Augusta and the masters is great and it’s something that has been tradition for a long time. It seems like the women want to borrow the magic that is Augusta which could happen but we see how the best in the worlds struggle there on the pga during tournament conditions. Nobody is going to watch a watered down version of the course.

The lpga needs a way to attract women viewers. Golfers to include those who are on forums don’t watch much lpga. It’s a hard draw to get eyes

> @GoGoErky said:

> Women’s sports In general don’t get viewership or a following. There’s too many other options that are more exciting. Golf is a niche sport and even more so on the women’s side. Investors/sponsors aren’t going to pa lt significantly more when there’s not an equal roi.

>

> Augusta is open for a small period of time and holding the women’s amateur, masters and an lpga event cuts into the members playing time. The chances of holding all 3 there are probably slim or they would have to cut the women’s amateur for lpga event. I also think the women should find something that they can make their own. Augusta and the masters is great and it’s something that has been tradition for a long time. It seems like the women want to borrow the magic that is Augusta which could happen but we see how the best in the worlds struggle there on the pga during tournament conditions. Nobody is going to watch a watered down version of the course.

>

> The lpga needs a way to attract women viewers. Golfers to include those who are on forums don’t watch much lpga. It’s a hard draw to get eyes

>

>

I don’t see Augusta doing it. Too much risk of watering down the Masters mystique. And the comment to get more events on network TV is a chicken and egg issue. Networks aren’t going to air more events unless the LPGA can show the events will bring ratings. I’m not sure how much of a difference being on a network rather than Golf Channel will make. They need to figure out how to market the lpga stars better to drive up interest.

Having the men and women playing the same course at the same time is interesting. But I wouldn’t do it competing against each other. Basically have two tournaments happening at the same time. It would have to be a limited field event for both but that could be a way to broaden exposure.

I'm all in on going back to 4 majors, unless they want to cut the Evian and do something in Korea.

I also like the idea of GC doing a "meet and greet" type of show, profiling some of the girls. Also instead of repeating Tin Cup, The Squeeze, and whatever else they throw on to fill time slots, why not replay a final round of an LPGA Major.

I would donate to a fund that replaces current MTV programming drivel with ANYTHING more meaningful. I wonder if a Big Break reboot would stick. It certainly has the drama that these teens seem to crave.

Pigeon holing LPGA events to The Golf Channel IS NOT going to expand exposure to the game.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

> @LICC said:

> > @GoGoErky said:

> > Women’s sports In general don’t get viewership or a following. There’s too many other options that are more exciting. Golf is a niche sport and even more so on the women’s side. Investors/sponsors aren’t going to pa lt significantly more when there’s not an equal roi.

> >

> > Augusta is open for a small period of time and holding the women’s amateur, masters and an lpga event cuts into the members playing time. The chances of holding all 3 there are probably slim or they would have to cut the women’s amateur for lpga event. I also think the women should find something that they can make their own. Augusta and the masters is great and it’s something that has been tradition for a long time. It seems like the women want to borrow the magic that is Augusta which could happen but we see how the best in the worlds struggle there on the pga during tournament conditions. Nobody is going to watch a watered down version of the course.

> >

> > The lpga needs a way to attract women viewers. Golfers to include those who are on forums don’t watch much lpga. It’s a hard draw to get eyes

> >

> >

> I don’t see Augusta doing it. Too much risk of watering down the Masters mystique. And the comment to get more events on network TV is a chicken and egg issue. Networks aren’t going to air more events unless the LPGA can show the events will bring ratings. I’m not sure how much of a difference being on a network rather than Golf Channel will make. They need to figure out how to market the lpga stars better to drive up interest.

>

> Having the men and women playing the same course at the same time is interesting. But I wouldn’t do it competing against each other. Basically have two tournaments happening at the same time. It would have to be a limited field event for both but that could be a way to broaden exposure.

>

I’m sure putting on the final round of an LPGA event on network tv for at least a couple of hours on Sunday would get at least as many viewers/ROI as the infomercials for the newest airfryer, Cindy Crawford’s meaningful beauty or the latest get rich fast flipping houses scheme that seem to litter any of the networks on any given Sunday.

Also, it may not being new fans but it could potentially bring more current fans to the loop. I watch 5-6 lpga events on TV a year because I don’t have Golf Channel and I would need to bump up my package 2-3 levels to get it. In an era when a lot of people are cutting the chord, there isn’t any way to really watch the LPGA without paying for something like Golf Extra . I watch a lot of golf through Japanese and Korean recap shows or through youtube. ABC,CBS,NBC,Fox sure, I’ll turn it on. Even if the lpga could get on ESPN+ that’d be great.

I agree that people are cutting the cord and if you're the tour leader you gotta understand that. I think the LPGA has to understand they are only ever gonna have a niche market and maybe the biggest part of that market will be outside the US. IMO the LPGA has to take the jump and invest in producing their own content, yes the initial cost will be high and there's always risk going at alone but it could allow you take control of a better market share for your tour. The problem IMO isn't other networks outside GC won't cover the lpga, the problem is that other networks don't wanna pay the cost of the infrastructure to cover a golf event. If you went to ESPN and said pay us 1 million per event and we'll give you 16 hours of coverage, I'm sure you'd see they're quite receptive especially in the summer when they struggle for content. A big problem with the GC deal is the sponser has to pay for the TV if I understand the terms correctly. On weeks GC has a time slot open you can sell it to them and weeks they domn't have time available they can find another network. As a Canadian, I have no doubt Canadian sports networks would give some good money evry event to be able to show Brooke Henderson on TV each week.

If the LPGA controlled and produced their own content, they can start a global streaming service (like I currently pay for with tennis) they can cater it over time for specific regions like Korean, Japanese and Chinese featured groups and make their own TV deals will all sports networks globally. I know the PGA is negotiating the new LPGA TV deal but I woulkd much rather they help with this strategy and help them get on otyher networks to fill out a good TV schedule.

I think the article misses one key aspect of golf, and that is golf is only really watched by golfers. If you have not played the game, understand how really hard it is, watching a 5hr round is incredibly dull and boring (or 6hrs if we are talking about some LPGA events). Sans the retired folks, who really has the time to watch 10hrs+ of PGA tour coverage in addition to 10hrs+ of LPGA coverage? It is also heavily male dominated, a true individual sport, and thus ego comes into play. Many men simply do not watch to watch women play the sport at a much higher level than they ever will, or there are those disillusioned ones that think their game is just a few steps away from being a pro and thus they simply cannot relate to the women's game.

In reality the first step is to grow the game from within, more women (and by default girls) need to participate in the sport, such that viewership base grows. Wasn't women's golf was for the longest time the most under utilized NCAA scholarship for quite some time?

> @Krt22 said:

> I think the article misses one key aspect of golf, and that is golf is only really watched by golfers. If you have not played the game, understand how really hard it is, watching a 5hr round is incredibly dull and boring (or 6hrs if we are talking about some LPGA events). Sans the retired folks, who really has the time to watch 10hrs+ of PGA tour coverage in addition to 10hrs+ of LPGA coverage? It is also heavily male dominated, a true individual sport, and thus ego comes into play. Many men simply do not watch to watch women play the sport at a much higher level than they ever will, or there are those disillusioned ones that think their game is just a few steps away from being a pro and thus they simply cannot relate to the women's game.

>

> In reality the first step is to grow the game from within, more women (and by default girls) need to participate in the sport, such that viewership base grows. Wasn't women's golf was for the longest time the most under utilized NCAA scholarship for quite some time?

That’s not necessarily true, if Tiger is in the hunt people will tune in whether they golf or not. Also, 90% of events only show 2-3 hours at a time. People will watch the last 12 holes of a round because people will sit and binge watch a show on netflix or Hulu for 8 hours straight. I have never seen a tv broadcast where they follow a group from 1-18 unless it’s a major or The Players.

• Like 1

The LPGA tour needs sex appeal. Not a popular thing to say nowadays but it’s the truth. I promise you if there were more pretty, sexy, smiling, and personable women playing great golf, the interest and viewership would increase.

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

> @"Old Tom Morris" said:

> The LPGA tour needs **** appeal. Not a popular thing to say nowadays but it’s the truth. I promise you if there were more pretty, ****, smiling, and personable women playing great golf, the interest and viewership would increase.

That comment and your avatar go perfectly together.

• Like 1

>

> That comment and your avatar go perfectly together.

Yeah Baby! Yeah!

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

> @"Old Tom Morris" said:

> The LPGA tour needs **** appeal. Not a popular thing to say nowadays but it’s the truth. I promise you if there were more pretty, ****, smiling, and personable women playing great golf, the interest and viewership would increase.

I adore most of the women out there! Not sure what you are wishing for.

A lot of golfers I play with don't follow any golf. That's interesting in itself. They play golf, but follow football (and such). I am not exactly sure why this is so.

PGA is not covered on free to air in Australia. A few years back one of the TV stations started a half-hour PGA highlights show. It was on a Monday night about 10:30 pm, and ran for 30 minutes of actual golf. As a golfer I found that show to be absolutely dismal viewing. On a highlights show, do you know what happens to ALL 50 foot putts? They go in! All iron approaches spin around the flag and finish a few feet away. Well, that's the crap shots anyway - the good shots go in from the fairway - or the rough - doesn't matter! It occurred to me that all the fun was in the drama of producing such shots - the self-doubts, the destructive twitches, the competitive context, the player fighting to make a cut, retain his card, rediscover former glories etc. And all that takes time and emotional investment from the viewer. Golf is just a difficult sport to relate to a mass audience. And women's golf is a niche within a niche. Not sure there is any solution to this.

If you want to attract attention you need a few things:

- Players who are seen as mature professionals playing out their career (not teenage girls or college students).

- Impressive performances.

- A mix of consistent figures competing at the top (so people can keep track of their "favorites").

If you violate #1 it's creepy.

If you violate #2 nobody will care.

If you violate #3 viewers will tune out.

I would argue that the LPGA actually has a lot of that already which is why it's growing in markets where it's possible to grow (i.e. Asia). I can tell you that in the US, women do not follow sports and men only follow men's sports. If a women's event becomes popular (i.e. US women's soccer team) it's a rare thing and that temporary energy dissipates rather quickly.

So if you want something sustainable you need to find people who are willing to watch women (this seems to be more prevalent in Asia) and you need to find real professionals who are competing at a high level because it's their job.

To be honest, the LPGA seems to be killing it with both. They are rapidly growing in popularity in Asia and there's a lot of star-power on the LPGA.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

MelloYello,

I love watching jr and college girls competing at a high level. And not in a creepy way. For the record, I enjoy watching the jr and college boys as well, but this is a ladies specific thread.

Please tell me you're not serious regarding your point #1.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I'm with you. I enjoy watching the LPGA and I'm not some deviant. So I'm optimistic that they can indeed grow their popularity without losing the professionalism that's currently in place. If I dig it, why couldn't other fans of the sport, right? That's why I said, a full-fledged (global) Tour that is trying to draw million of dollars in sponsorship every single week (as opposed to some college tourney) needs to be seen as a medium for "professionals." That's step #1. You can't have it be a tour of teenage girls. Just like the PGA couldn't ever work if it were somehow a tour of teenage boys. But in the world of women's sports (especially golf), there's a strong tendency towards youth. Women in the 30s are apt to retire and young women in their late teens are often ready to compete (i.e. Lydia, Lexi, Brooke, etc.).

But if you think for a second that we're in the majority amongst American men you're wrong. I don't want to ruin this thread but we need only consider the thread that just got closed to demonstrate what we're talking about. Most guys? That is what would draw them in, not the golf.

• Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

It’s just not interesting golf for the most part.

The courses aren’t set up to challenge the players. So basically it seems most of the field hits the fairway then the green. Stats say the top pros hit 80+% of the fairways and 75+% of the greens so it turns out to be a putting contest to a extent. I can’t remember the last “great” recovery.

Seems like the field isn’t quite deep enough for the tour to set up course a bit hard to get more drama because lower 25% would be a blood bath and extend rounds even longer than they already are.

Krt nails it I think. Golf is a niche sport for a variety of reasons and thus is probably only watched by Golfers. Heck... I'm a huge golf fan and I won't even pay for Golf channel to watch more of it. They need to expand like the Euro Tour and PGA Tour onto other streaming and online mediums, especially Youtube. The 15 minute highlight reals that Euro Tour puts out 4x a week are so awesome and gives them so much more exposure. We also need more female golf Youtubers in general.

Literally the only time I ever see Women's golf on TV is when there is a major. So... I watch Lexi and those gals on TV a few times a year, and then I quite literally have to go out of my way if I wanted to see more. That goes for any women's sport really... It's a shame. Anytime the LPGA comes near me area I always go because watching them play is much more "informative" then watching men bomb is 320 and gouge up a 7400 yard course. The ladies play and perform like most of us should be trying to play and perform.

I also do think a lot of guys are "too proud" or maybe even feel weird being female sports fans. You have no idea how creepy I felt talking to Lexi at the US Open a few years ago.... and I'm only 31. Imagine some single 50yo guy trying to approach a young 23yo girl like that.

LPGA players are unbelievably talented, could literally run circles around the best players I personally know male or female, but they aren't exciting. Nothing about watching 100 mph driver swings right down the middle intrigues me. They have some of the sharpest short games around, but lack the speed that I associate with excitement and risk leaves me bored quickly. YMMV

My 2 cents. It’s gotten better for me to watch. Since the Korda Sisters have started to contend regularly. I’m not anti “ world tour “ golf. But. I am also not interested in watching a tour regularly that doesn’t include any Americans in contention. The tour needs american stars too is my point. And Lexi just doesn’t seem to have the mind for that. Even though I do love her game whenever she’s with it.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Oh yea. Didn’t mean to discount her ( or anyone else ). Juts think the tour as a whole is heavily weighted towards non US players , and as a us golf fan , that make the tour not as big of a draw for me as it could be . I realize that’s just how it shakes outa as well. But it’s still a factor in my interest.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock