New FlightScope Mevo+ (MERGED)

enormous13

10 hours ago, bgtwy_sage22 said:

FSGolf app update available - release notes say “fix for the arming issues” - sounds cryptic. I am left wanting something more technical I can dig into.

Anyone have a clue what arming is?

Yes, the radar never arms (green -> amber light). I have this issue and reported it a few pages back. Connects etc...just never get a 'READY' so no reading. 

I have not tried the update yet but I trust they fixed it. It was near 55 yesterday so silly me I walked 18 holes in fuzzy winter golf conditions on my course. Will hit the sim in the garage today 🙂

- b

• Thanks 1

Spoke too soon, FS Golf will not arm still. Deleted app from iOS device, re-installed, nada.  Latest iOS on an iPad Pro along with iPhone SE. 

E6 did fix their speed bug, or maybe over-fixed it but E6 tends to read my ballspeed a bit low in my environment. My mevo+ sits 6cm below mat level in the garage. 

Hoping they get back to me Monday, my first support query took a week to get a response. 

3 hours ago, bvanlieu said:

Spoke too soon, FS Golf will not arm still. Deleted app from iOS device, re-installed, nada.  Latest iOS on an iPad Pro along with iPhone SE. 

E6 did fix their speed bug, or maybe over-fixed it but E6 tends to read my ballspeed a bit low in my environment. My mevo+ sits 6cm below mat level in the garage. 

Hoping they get back to me Monday, my first support query took a week to get a response. 

Have you installed the latest iOS?   Reset the network settings?  Simple reboot?

On 2/9/2022 at 9:21 AM, aramirez24 said:

You're asking for data close to a $25,000 unit for $3,000? That's the thinking that leads to most of these bad reviews.. Even Trackman indoors struggles as a radar unit. 

Also if you are looking for something like that I recommend going camera based like a GC3 or GC4. Uneekor also announced an eye mini that looks promising that I have my eye on. If you aren't in a rush I would either wait or buy a used Mevo/Skytrak to get you by. The consumer launch monitor market has really started heating up which is good news for us. 

Yep, that is my plan.  I am a current Mevo+ owner and for the most part have been happy with the unit, but it struggles with short range chips.  I need something that is more accurate with the short game to practice my 10-30 yard chips.  Looking at BLP/GC3 or Uneekor.

• Haha 2

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

6 hours ago, bvanlieu said:

I am on 15.x iOS on both of my devices. 

The only thing that has changed is FSApp: two releases ago, same iOS, FSapp worked on both devices.

Last session I had was Jan 29 or so. FSApp simply won't arm the radar, Skills/E6 read it just peachy. 

100% an app issue. 

Update to the latest FS App v3.8.10, as the arm issue has been fixed in the latest release.

• Like 1

PXG 0317 X

2 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

There's a very interesting discussion on one of the Facebook Mevo+ groups. I'm not sure what I'm allowed to copy/paste from the group so I'll paraphrase:

Someone ran a test of his Mevo+ unit and his buddy's using FS Golf in the same environment. It looks like everything was set up thoroughly, radars set to different frequencies etc. Let's call them player 1 and player 2, P1 and P2 for short.

P1's unit using P1's iPad consistently had lots of italicized spin numbers, AoA numbers were implausible, distance numbers were way off etc.  P2's unit using P2's iPad was behaving pretty well - most spin numbers were read, AoA looked reasonable etc.

P1's iPad connected to P2's unit had the same problem as P1's iPad connected to P1's unit i.e. the problem was related to the iPad and not to the Mevo+ unit! The person reporting this issue is speculating that this is because his iPad was a 7th gen iPad with an A10 chip and his buddy's with the problem is an iPad Air 3rd gen with an A12 bionic chip. Apparently floating point behavior changed between those chips and depending on how FS Golf is coded, it could be affected by differences in how chips handle floating point values.

This would explain why some people get decent results (basically similar to high end LMs with a higher standard deviation in the numbers and more frequent misreads which is acceptable IMO) and some people (like me and I have an iPad Air 3rd gen) get a load of gibberish in the output in spite of a setup that meets Flightscope's specifications.

Thanks for the post. You can post freely from those groups.  What’s being described in that FB group makes the most sense for the discrepancies some folks are seeing. It certainly seems plausible. I have a 4th gen pro that has the A12Z Bionic chip.  Will be interesting to see what’s comes of this.

Edited by Sons_of_Pitches

PXG 0317 X

32 minutes ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

Thanks for the post. You can post freely from those groups.  What’s being described in that FB group makes the most sense for the discrepancies some folks are seeing. It certainly seems plausible. I have a 4th gen pro that has the A12Z Bionic chip.  Will be interesting to see what’s comes of this.

Here is the original post (there was more re. floating point stuff in additional posts):

Hi, folks. A buddy and I did some testing earlier, and I'll be working with him to make a video to show this. But for those suffering severely short distances in FS Golf - I think we may have found something worth noting.
My buddy kept reporting his FS Golf was majorly short in distance. I always felt mine was a bit short (10ish meters or so), but not nearly as much as he has been reporting (upwards of 20-40 meters). And I've swung on his unit using FS Golf and it was consistently 30+ meters short for me, which was frustrating because I am already a bad enough golfer as it is...
However, both of us had reached the same consensus over time - it's only in FS Golf that either of us see this shortness. On top of that, FS Golf gives him a 50+ % estimation rate (italic) on spin number, whereas I really don't have that problem. Maybe one out of every 10 to 20 swings will show italic spin rates.
So I went over to his place with my mevo+ and we did some testing. .
Firstly, please note: our units are on two different frequencies. We've used them side by side for a long time and never had a single problem with them, and have even gotten identical numbers on them within +/- 50rpm on the spin in the past. The entire point of having units with difference frequencies is in fact to run them within close proximity to one another, and they really don't interfere with one another. But in order to clear any confusion, we did the testing two different ways: running both units simultaneously, and running one at at time.
We started with his unit and his iPad AIR 3rd generation. The numbers were substantially off. AOA was too steep, spin was 70-90% of the time in italics, and sometimes giving really insane numbers (ie literally 900rpm with a 9i - yes, NINE HUNDRED). He confirmed this behaviour is frequent in FS Golf. So I cranked up my unit and ran it next to his, using an iPad 7th gen. Ball flight was identical, and sometimes - when the spin wasn't in italics on his unit - it was identical. But the carry was consistently 20ish meters longer and mine never got any spin estimates / italics.
So we turned his unit off, and connected to mine with his iPad and FS Golf. He was getting the same numbers he was with his unit - same odd behaviour with the spin rate either always in italics or sometimes even being in the hundreds of rpm's, and always substantially lower than expected distances.
Then we turned his unit on, connected to it with my iPad 7th gen - and walla, the numbers were more inline with what was expected and behaving like mine has been. Zero estimated spin - not one in italics. Distances all looked good - maybe 5-10ish meters short, but acceptable. AOA looked good, and etc.
Then we loaded awesome golf and tested with both units - the results were good for both units.
The major difference we have between our iPad's is his has an A12 Bionic, while mine has the A10 chip. And what we realized is that when using his iPad, the numbers were botched, the spin was almost always estimated unless we used two dots on the ball in a figure 8 like pattern (touching eachohter)... But when we used mine, numbers looked okay.
To be clear, I am a software and hardware developer. Primarily, I focus on low latency high performance implementations. I would be lying if I said I knew much about the ARM architecture, because I don't. I work primarily with x86/x64 intel architecture these days. But one thing I've run in to in the past is developers relying on the TSC register on intel platforms with power / frequency scaling enabled, which can screw with algorithms when relying on tick count. And that's what this entire situation reminds me of....
This feels like a developer is relying on a tick count for something in his math, and the frequency differences or differences in the chip(s) may be causing these distance problems people are seeing in FS Golf, but not seeing in other applications...
Anyway, keep an eye out - we'll be working on a video to show this in action hopefully in the upcoming days.
Edited by GolfTurkey
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

Here is the original post (there was more re. floating point stuff in additional posts):

Hi, folks. A buddy and I did some testing earlier, and I'll be working with him to make a video to show this. But for those suffering severely short distances in FS Golf - I think we may have found something worth noting.
My buddy kept reporting his FS Golf was majorly short in distance. I always felt mine was a bit short (10ish meters or so), but not nearly as much as he has been reporting (upwards of 20-40 meters). And I've swung on his unit using FS Golf and it was consistently 30+ meters short for me, which was frustrating because I am already a bad enough golfer as it is...
However, both of us had reached the same consensus over time - it's only in FS Golf that either of us see this shortness. On top of that, FS Golf gives him a 50+ % estimation rate (italic) on spin number, whereas I really don't have that problem. Maybe one out of every 10 to 20 swings will show italic spin rates.
Firstly, please note: our units are on two different frequencies. We've used them side by side for a long time and never had a single problem with them, and have even gotten identical numbers on them within +/- 50rpm on the spin in the past. The entire point of having units with difference frequencies is in fact to run them within close proximity to one another, and they really don't interfere with one another. But in order to clear any confusion, we did the testing two different ways: running both units simultaneously, and running one at at time.
We started with his unit and his iPad AIR 3rd generation. The numbers were substantially off. AOA was too steep, spin was 70-90% of the time in italics, and sometimes giving really insane numbers (ie literally 900rpm with a 9i - yes, NINE HUNDRED). He confirmed this behaviour is frequent in FS Golf. So I cranked up my unit and ran it next to his, using an iPad 7th gen. Ball flight was identical, and sometimes - when the spin wasn't in italics on his unit - it was identical. But the carry was consistently 20ish meters longer and mine never got any spin estimates / italics.
So we turned his unit off, and connected to mine with his iPad and FS Golf. He was getting the same numbers he was with his unit - same odd behaviour with the spin rate either always in italics or sometimes even being in the hundreds of rpm's, and always substantially lower than expected distances.
Then we turned his unit on, connected to it with my iPad 7th gen - and walla, the numbers were more inline with what was expected and behaving like mine has been. Zero estimated spin - not one in italics. Distances all looked good - maybe 5-10ish meters short, but acceptable. AOA looked good, and etc.
Then we loaded awesome golf and tested with both units - the results were good for both units.
The major difference we have between our iPad's is his has an A12 Bionic, while mine has the A10 chip. And what we realized is that when using his iPad, the numbers were botched, the spin was almost always estimated unless we used two dots on the ball in a figure 8 like pattern (touching eachohter)... But when we used mine, numbers looked okay.
To be clear, I am a software and hardware developer. Primarily, I focus on low latency high performance implementations. I would be lying if I said I knew much about the ARM architecture, because I don't. I work primarily with x86/x64 intel architecture these days. But one thing I've run in to in the past is developers relying on the TSC register on intel platforms with power / frequency scaling enabled, which can screw with algorithms when relying on tick count. And that's what this entire situation reminds me of....
This feels like a developer is relying on a tick count for something in his math, and the frequency differences or differences in the chip(s) may be causing these distance problems people are seeing in FS Golf, but not seeing in other applications...
Anyway, keep an eye out - we'll be working on a video to show this in action hopefully in the upcoming days.

Thank you for sharing this, very interesting.

I wouldn't have thought the older ipad would provide better results than the newer!  Would be interesting if FS comment.

11 hours ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

Update to the latest FS App v3.8.10, as the arm issue has been fixed in the latest release.

And I said earlier, I spoke too soon as its still broke. I did see that release notes a few days ago and also commented in this thread I had not yet tried the update since it was nice outside for 2 days and no SIM time 🙂

I installed 3.8.10 on both my iphone and ipad, it still refuses to in FS App. I'll call FS today vs. email which tends to be a 1 week process to get a response. 

On 2/11/2022 at 3:35 PM, Firethorn50 said:

Yes, like AoA, Swing Path, Face to path, etc. Rather than carry distance, swing/ball speed, etc. 

Gotcha! I guess then its interpretation, opinion and personal choice.

I prefer ball data for my specific game as

1) Humans are known not to have the best fine twitch motor skills.  I personally lack this

2) The destination and how I arrive at that destination is the most important for my current game (It could change in the future)  But for now, I cannot discern, 1-5* of Club angles consistently to make any progress.

3) even with the Club data, I would not be able to effectively implement change as I lack sensitivity compared to others.

So for me,  Just knowing that I can get the ball going at X launch characteristics and arrive at X destination with any type of consistency is good enough for me.

At this point,  I question that if club data is more important, then why not a Skytrack, BLP, GC3 or GC4?  Why a Mevo+ when it was known fundamentally a ball radar not a club radar?  Just curious?

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

2 hours ago, Exactice808 said:

Gotcha! I guess then its interpretation, opinion and personal choice.

I prefer ball data for my specific game as

1) Humans are known not to have the best fine twitch motor skills.  I personally lack this

2) The destination and how I arrive at that destination is the most important for my current game (It could change in the future)  But for now, I cannot discern, 1-5* of Club angles consistently to make any progress.

3) even with the Club data, I would not be able to effectively implement change as I lack sensitivity compared to others.

So for me,  Just knowing that I can get the ball going at X launch characteristics and arrive at X destination with any type of consistency is good enough for me.

At this point,  I question that if club data is more important, then why not a Skytrack, BLP, GC3 or GC4?  Why a Mevo+ when it was known fundamentally a ball radar not a club radar?  Just curious?

I gotcha. When I got it I didn’t know exactly what it would or wouldn’t show. I thought I’d try the $2k option first rather than the $10k+ options. While the speed/spin info is cool and all, they don’t help a swing. If the distance info is correct then that can be very helpful in gapping and set yardages. If the PP shows good swing data then the Mevo+ becomes a good alternative to the more expensive LMs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Firethorn50 said:

I gotcha. When I got it I didn’t know exactly what it would or wouldn’t show. I thought I’d try the $2k option first rather than the $10k+ options. While the speed/spin info is cool and all, they don’t help a swing. If the distance info is correct then that can be very helpful in gapping and set yardages. If the PP shows good swing data then the Mevo+ becomes a good alternative to the more expensive LMs.

AH!!! LOL, not to get all Doctor Couch on you.  But maybe that is also the mindset that crushes the expectation when picking up a Mevo+.

1) I didnt expect it at all to help my swing.  I knew lessons and a coach would.

2) I bought it for COVID19 indoor use (50/50 as we can see)  But couldnt get to the course or the range with my kids, I could practice indoor and my convenience. 

3) I knew club data was meaningless for me.

4) I mentioned prior I could not use a unit that sat near the ball, kids would kill it.

If people went in with the thought that some how this would fix their swing, when it barely measure the swing.... Then the process was lost.  I just wanted a practice simulator that gave me distance and direction to practice.  And this fulfills it.

Pro Package is a whole new animal that will require some updates but for the most part.... its only now available, I give it 6 months before it really settles in. But I imagine the novelty will wear off in my opinion.

Other than that,  Might be onto something about why the frustration is so strong with this.  The focus and expectations are beyond its actual capabilities? 

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

27 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

AH!!! LOL, not to get all Doctor Couch on you.  But maybe that is also the mindset that crushes the expectation when picking up a Mevo+.

1) I didnt expect it at all to help my swing.  I knew lessons and a coach would.

2) I bought it for COVID19 indoor use (50/50 as we can see)  But couldnt get to the course or the range with my kids, I could practice indoor and my convenience. 

4) I mentioned prior I could not use a unit that sat near the ball, kids would kill it.

If people went in with the thought that some how this would fix their swing, when it barely measure the swing.... Then the process was lost.  I just wanted a practice simulator that gave me distance and direction to practice.  And this fulfills it.

Pro Package is a whole new animal that will require some updates but for the most part.... its only now available, I give it 6 months before it really settles in. But I imagine the novelty will wear off in my opinion.

Other than that,  Might be onto something about why the frustration is so strong with this.  The focus and expectations are beyond its actual capabilities? 

I actually completely disagree with this.  Any launch monitor can help your game, weather it has or does not have club data, with one caveat it has to be somewhat consistent and accurate.  Unless you are a total hack then it doesn't matter what you do, but knowing your path and face to path is way more important than spin on a 7iron.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

I am the opposite of you in that I got the M+ and the PP with the intent of working on my swing. The data it provides makes working on things more productive. H launch, V launch, path, FTP, swing speed, ball speed. I’m constantly using these numbers.  I do work with a pro 3-4 times a year to make sure I’m not going astray but the feedback is really useful - at least for me. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Exactice808 said:

I never thought it would fix my swing (it’s not an instructor), but I use LMs almost exclusively to to keep me within the rails of what my instructor and I are working on. Nearly every session I have I’m recorded on a LM (mainly TM) to assess vital swing characteristics. I was (still am) hoping Mevo+ can keep me on track in between instruction sessions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exactice808 said:

I do like to use the spin data for my pitches though. It was really fun taking it out to a practice facility and trying different techniques/clubs to see the spin differences and how the ball acts when it lands on the green.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bvanlieu said:

And I said earlier, I spoke too soon as its still broke. I did see that release notes a few days ago and also commented in this thread I had not yet tried the update since it was nice outside for 2 days and no SIM time 🙂

I installed 3.8.10 on both my iphone and ipad, it still refuses to in FS App. I'll call FS today vs. email which tends to be a 1 week process to get a response. 

Well that's a bummer.  I experienced the arming issue on a couple different occasions, but I simply just rebooted the mevo+ and it started working again. Then a few days later the update was released and haven't had the issue since.  

PXG 0317 X

5 hours ago, Firethorn50 said:

I never thought it would fix my swing (it’s not an instructor), but I use LMs almost exclusively to to keep me within the rails of what my instructor and I are working on. Nearly every session I have I’m recorded on a LM (mainly TM) to assess vital swing characteristics. I was (still am) hoping Mevo+ can keep me on track in between instruction sessions.

It certainly will be able to do that.  Its all about repetition with the Mevo+ providing you with the feedback your doing it right or wrong!   🙂

PXG 0317 X

On 2/13/2022 at 7:47 PM, GolfTurkey said:

Thanks so much for sharing this, these are exactly the symptoms I was describing with Pro Package, down to the wonky AoA and spin, but correct flight path.

I have this issue using FS Golf on my first gen iPhone X.  This gives me hope that it can be fixed, or at minimum a nice excuse for a new phone.

6 hours ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

Well that's a bummer.  I experienced the arming issue on a couple different occasions, but I simply just rebooted the mevo+ and it started working again. Then a few days later the update was released and haven't had the issue since.  

Consider yourself lucky. 

Support so far has been multiple days between replies, the last reply not offering any solution or ask for system level info or debug data to troubleshoot a software issue. Instead, I must get a picture of the lights.

Because I am incapable of answering 'what color is the arming light?' (green) or what color is the left most light (still green). Must get digital proof and send it on its way. 

Edited by bvanlieu