Potential World Tour Takes Aim At PGA Tour With Lucrative Individual And Team Concept

kro88

The story says 18 events with $10M purses, by “2022 or 2023”

For 2019-2020, the PGA Tour has 40+ events, most of which are $7M+. About ten of those are in the the $9-11M range, and the Players is $15M (!). Plus there’s the Wyndham bonus, the FedEx prize pool, and the PGA Tour’s platinum plated pension plan. By 2022, new TV deals will be in place and those amounts will be significantly higher.

PGA Tour events have OWGR, PGA Championship, and Ryder Cup points. Winning a “regular” PGA Tour event gets you a spot at the Masters. And oh yeah, most of them are a relatively short domestic flight from Florida/Arizona.

So what’s the pitch here? Travel way more for less money and a less flexible schedule?

I'm assuming the pitch is the ownership and franchise stuff and promised return on those investments, etc. On its face, seems like a silly idea. Plus wouldn't be surprised if they simply guarantee players money just for participating. Seems like giant dollars/egos trying to lure giant egos, lol.

Guessing none of the charitable aspects and all of the other things that tours support are any part of the equation, nor any of the initiatives the tours support to help with the game at other levels and helping it flourish.

Some of the off the cuff anti-Tour stuff in here is just strange. Like the Tour is "the man" and keeping everybody down. Just look at the list of tours the PGA Tour supports in one way or another and those are supported because the Tour is successful and sponsors buy into the model and it works. It does a lot more than simply cater to elite players and yep, brings in tons of revenue necessary to keep things rolling.

As I said before, Rory's comments are nice but the last paragraph tells the real tale, even for Rory ---- if this world tour results in leverage that makes elite players more money on the PGA Tour he's all for it, lol. Pay ME is still Rory's underlying message.

I hear an organization called The Raine Group is a "main financing partner" in this idea. I went to their website to see what I could learn. Other than they have offices in New York, San Francisco, London, Shanghai & Mumbai & their "team" page shows a lot of youngish, diverse advisors, partners & analysts (none of whom I ever heard of), they seem to be some sort of investment/hedge fund/wealth management octopus. Sort of like Spectre in the James Bond movies.

World domination is the goal. Golf is just the starting point.

Raine group is not exactly a bunch of nobodies. They were involved in the sales of NBA teams and Draft Kings. One of their investors is the same company that owns IMG which as we know has strong ties to golf. Still, this is a pipe dream. It’s funny how the media bites and runs with this story when the reality is probably not much more than a few meetings and emails with an idea of a golf tour. There have been threads on golfwrx with a lot more detail and ideas about a golf tour, but golfwrx doesn’t have investment bankers in on it and press releases.

Really, we are talking about a lawyer who loves golf and money, wants to bring the two together in a so called bold way, but the idea is not all that original, has a friend in Raine group, exchanges emails, expands the CC list, a few agents get wind of it, they see dollar signs, and so the conversation expands. At some point to show seriousness they had to at least draft a high level proposal. How long do you think it took to draft up $10M purses, limited fields, limited events...blah, blah, blah? A high school kid could have come up with the idea. Even Greg Norman thought of it in his spare time! And then someone in the email list threw in the idea of a “team event” just to spice it up.

These guys sure have come a long way from the original idea of “Tour de Force”. Whatever...8 years of talk and they at least got Phil and Rory to comment. Wow. At least indirectly, Norman’s attempt did lead to the World Golf Championships. Maybe this clown car will lead to the “6th major”!

Doubt the Tour is looking to ditch events and simply add more top heavy, elite player events (see WGCs) - that would be the disaster. Hey sponsors, we don’t need you, hey TV here’s a refund - we don’t need to televise a bunch of tournaments now. Not a good or smart business message. Hey players - door is closed! And you won’t see the guys you, but not everyone, wants to see any more often.

I don’t really disagree with much of what you are saying. But is the lack of new ideas because there is nothing that can be changed? Or is because these executives think we as consumers will buy it regardless. I don’t think there needs to wild changes. It’s simple things. Better camera angles and production changes. Maybe some co-Ed LPGA PGA cross over events. Some new courses in the rotation. Etc.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I don't disagree with the viewing part of it, growing up not seeing Jack playing in every televised tournament was agony for me, lol, and back then if he was playing and not in the final 2 or 3 groups on the final few holes I wasn't seeing him anyway. But I don't see how to view the Tour's reaction to any of this except as ice cold business - Finchem never needed a lot of blood for his stature, but I sometimes wondered if he had a pulse. New guy seems slightly more progressive, though.

What we want to see vs. what we get? Your ideas sound great but I can't get past my pessimistic reality checks. Your world probably more fun!

I don't understand all the negativity and anger regarding this possible tour or league. Creating more opportunities for professional golfers to compete for prize money seems like a great thing to me. If top pro's choose to play in this league fully or part time then that will free up spots on the PGA Tour which could in turn create more space on the lesser tours giving struggling or aspiring players more opportunities. There are a lot of talented golfers trying to earn a living - anything that increases the ability to earn is a good thing.

I played with a friend (he's made it to the second stage of web qualifying and has been grinding his butt off anywhere he can possibly earn a paycheck for the last 3 years) this past fall. Over 36 holes he missed two fairways and 3 greens to shoot 66 64 on a tough 7200 yard course on a cold windy day. Best golf I've ever seen in person, and I've been to dozens of pro tournaments. What I'm saying is that's the kind of talent that exists on the fringes of the world of professional golf. Maybe this league helps to create an opening in the opportunities he needs and has been busting his **** ever since college trying to get. Maybe increasing the feeding troth keeps him from having to give up and sell insurance in another year or two.

Gosh this looks awful. From the series creators/backers, to the potential participants, this is just a gigantic cynical smorgasbord of greed, todger measuring, and plastic smiles.

• Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Or it will more likely kill the "lesser" tours or at least impact them negatively in a very significant way. You think the elites playing their elite events are making time for more or less Tour events? You think the Tour events without say, 50 elite players, on a regular basis are attracting the advertising dollars and sponsors? I don't think the cream leaves and the rest just fills in as if nothing happened. Tour stops will cease to be Tour stops, sponsors will beg off, TV won't be paying what it is paying. And respect anyone doing what they want, but if he isn't making it on his golf game then probably does need to explore the next step - I don't view pro golf as something that some set number of guys "should" succeed at (and have known on the fringe players and even better as well and have no idea how they manage grind at times).

No no honey, it's from WRX, and a thread about a stupid new golf tour.

To your other reply - it's similar to the idea they float now and again for the main teams in European Football, of having a super league. It's only making the top of the pile topier. Won't do a thing for those further down. This thing is no different.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

One billionaire by the name of Kerry Packer changed the world of cricket forever.

The stuffy elite laughed and said it would never happen.

The same is being said now about the PGA. Watch it all change.

There are a lot of backers behind this with billions.

You'll all being watching it because it's golf.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

The PGA would be smart to work with the new idea.

Personally, the PGA course of bombing it long into lush rough then wedge it in has had it's time.

Golf has had a viewing spike on the tour because Tiger is back. Nothing else special is happening.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

Hmmm. Phil Mickelson ‘fascinated’ after being wooed by new world tour groupPhil Mickelson was paired up in Saudi Arabia’s European Tour pro-am round with founders of the Saudi-backed Premier Golf League.

After playing with Majed Al-Sorour, CEO of the Saudi Golf Federation, Colin Neville, of The Raine Group, London financier Andrew Gardiner and one other man only identified as “Richard,” Dempster quotes Mickelson has fascinated by the league concept.“It was fascinating to talk with them and ask some questions and see what their plans are. Where they started, how they started, why and just got their background, which was very interesting.

“I haven’t had the chance to put it all together and think about what I want to say about it publicly, but I do think it was an informative day for me to have the chance to spend time with them.”