2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Forged Alternative to G410 Irons Needed

volrus

It bothers me when people like braincramp give opinions on clubs they haven't tried. PXGs are more expensive than most but they also sell a set for $1000 that performs 98% as well as their Gen3s and it's priced in line with major OEMs if not cheaper. People work hard for their money and PXG produces ultra quality, people should not be made to feel guilty about playing their clubs because narrow minded people can't get over the price of some of their products.

• Like 1

I don't believe it is a price thing, as long as the 0211 are in line with the average prices recently.

Personally I'm not a fan of the look and like Gen3 design very very much and I'm sure it performs amazing, but I would not spend 3K for a set of irons, but it's me.

Coming back to the original OP question, there is plenty of options, especially if you consider the second hand market, hit the most you can and make your choice.

I was playing g410 last year and I just want to try something new, so I bought New Level 610 and a set of Maltby DBM just arrived.

I am really intrigued by the feel of a one piece forged and New Levels are not too much a drop of forgiveness compared to the g410. In the week end I will play the DBMs and will see. I can say that the DBM's look very tiny from address, but I am hyper positive.

My hands can't tell the difference between forged carbon steel and cast stainless steel.

That choice didn't enter the consideration the times I went with stainless or the times that I went with forged.

As a matter of fact, my Kenneth Smith Royal Signet irons were forged stainless, and that didn't have a special feel either.

I can, however, feel the difference between steel and graphite shafts, so much so that if the choice were steel and hickory instead, I'd go with hickory.

Overall all, though, I'm more of a visualize the shot player than a feel the shot player.

My choice of Mizuno JPX 919 Forged had nothing to do with the "forged" part. The visuals appealed to me. I could picture hitting them well, and that's half the battle with me.

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Honestly, and with all due respect, I don't recall EVER reading any post bashing PXG clubs or the people that buy them. The only "issue" with PXG clubs over the years has been whether or not they are "worth it" from a performance standpoint, and "worth it" is a sliding scale for each individual. There are lots of people here that don't get fitted for clubs because they don't think it's "worth it" for them. Same with a different driver that would give them 10 extra yards because of better launch characteristics, but would cost them $500; the question becomes whether or not 10 yards is "worth it". It is to ME, but I understand that it isn't to many people, including a lot of the guys that I play with.

And so it is with PXG, but that's not a knock on the clubs, or the people like yourself that buy them, even if the first read of a post might come across that way when somebody says that PXG clubs aren't worth it to them. They are to YOU, but you surely understand where the other people are coming from.

Your bashing of Ping and Ping products in the other thread was an unfortunate distraction for your argument about the value and performance of PXG clubs; PXG clubs don't get better because of anything right or wrong with any other manufacturer's stuff. If they're good, and they are, they will stand on their own merits, regardless of what Ping or Titleist or Callaway or TM are doing or not doing. And there's a very fine line between thinking that somebody is trying to make you feel guilty as contrasted with feeling guilty on your own and thinking that you have to justify what you have done. If you got the set of clubs that you want and need and that perform, that's all that you need; what anybody else says or does doesn't matter, and doesn't need to be bashed.

• Like 1

Shallow wrote that his PXGs feel better on misfits than his Miuras and that should be expected but wonder if this is a good thing or bad thing for feel players.

Head to the range and take along some headphones. But them on and turn the music up and hit some balls or putts. See if you feel anything in your hands.

Yesterday, I went to my local fitting studio to give Ping another try... I thought, maybe I was being too bias. I hit the new G710, the G410 and the i210. 127 balls today in the GCQUAD. Feel wise, the 710 was the best of the bunch. They feel decent and they go a long way. For me, they are a little low on spin. The G410, again I didn't like the feel,, harsh in my opinion, especially on mishits, turf/ground interaction wasn't great. i210 had the best ball flight characteristics but were the shortest, they are a bit clicky on pure strikes but I could see some people liking that sound/clickiness. Overall, the 710 and 210 aren't bad irons but they cost more than pxg 0211, currently, and I still think 0211 is better in every way. I think I also appreciate the progress set nature of 0211, it just makes sense for an average player. As an aside, I hit 30 shots with the Titleist t300 later on and it was far far superior to any of the PING products, I could take that.

That's the thing. With the PXGs, you still can feel where you strike your shot, it just doesn't feel terrible, and the loss of performance is small. Some would argue that isn't good and you should be penalized in feel for bad strikes but for the average weekend warrior, I don't agree. Miuras are great clubs made to very high quality and look great in the bag, I lusted over them for years but they just don't perform like the PXGs, FOR ME, a 9 handicap.

You've just describe some of my issues with the 410's, they are "harsh" feeling when not pured. Also, the turf interaction isn't good IMO. I know they are great clubs as evidenced by the number of people that love them. As I said earlier the winner for me right now seems to be the P790, but I'm on my way this morning to Club Champion to try out the PXG's and others that I haven't had a chance to hit yet.

P790s aren't bad. They are just a bit clicky, have hot spots affecting front to back dispersion and don't perform as well on thinner strikes which can be my miss because I'm shallower. The hot spot thing bothers me because distance control is crucial to good golf. I never want to see one 7i going 170y and the next one 190, that is a double bogey recipe. Good luck with your fit!

I believe in hot spots, too, and have bounced between S/GI and cavity backs for years trying to find the perfect iron for me. For me, the G400 are great irons. They sound fine to me and I can use the whole club face and still find the green.

Biggest changes I've made that lowered my handicap are a stronger grip and not working working irons anymore and aiming for the middle of the relatively small greens I play on in NJ.

The best golf will always coming from bettering the swing,, not from equipment.

Traditional cavity irons like G400/410 won't have hot spots but they also lack in feel, that is the issue PXG was striving to solve. Forgiveness with amazing feel in a package that looks more blade - like, that's really the holy trail of irons.

Update, I had my fitting at Club Champion Nashville (Franklin). First off, the experience was top notch. The fitter was great (Rick Lane). He apparently just moved here about a month ago from the Detroit location. I tried several shafts including the PX LZ, KBS C Taper, KBS $ Taper, Oban CT 115. I tried several heads including the P790, PXG 0211, Callaway CF 19, Cobra Forged Tec, Mizuno MP 20 HMB, and a couple others.

First for the shaft, there was a clear cut winner for me and it wasn't even close. The Oban CT 115, it made a big difference just with my current G410's which was what I was using to figure out which shaft I need. It got my spin numbers in check and increased my carry distance by a full 10 yards. Needless to say, I was shocked at how much difference the shaft alone made.

Next I started trying the different heads with the Oban shaft. I already knew I loved the feel of the P790, but through the process I found another one I liked about the same, the CF 19. I was shocked by this because I have NEVER liked a Callaway iron. I really wanted to like the PXG 0211 and it did have some nice features, but for some reason it just looked too big to me when looking down at it. The top line was thinner, but it looked really "tall" if that makes sense, very shovel looking to me. The feel was good, but what I found was I couldn't tell where my misses were. All the shots felt the same to me no matter where I hit it. I didn't care for that at all. The CF 19 felt amazing, but I was spinning them just a touch too much and the disperson was a littls less consistent than Iike. In the end, I got the best dispersion and the best ball speeds out of the P790. I started the day with a 6 iron I was hitting 172 yards on average (carry) and ended the day with a set up that was yielding 188 yards of carry. To be fair, after the shaft change I was hitting the G410 with a ball speed of 122.6 mph and a carry distance of 181, but he P790 gave me 124.9 mph and 188 carry. Spin rate for the G410 was 4668 rpm and P790 was 4254 rpm.

The final specs were 1 degree weak lofts, 1 degree flat lie, and a D2 swing weight.

Feel aside, did you find the shape of the G410's distracting compared to the Mizzy's you used to play? I've been looking for a larger head players type iron and grabbed the G410 while waiting for the pro shop guy to change shafts for me. The offset was distracting, and with my natural draw I assumed I would hit HUGE draws with them. But, I hit great shots with them. They felt really good to swing too. Probably put 10 balls within a 10 foot circle. I'm just scared to try a set as I have always disliked allot of offset. It usually enhances my draw too much. But these didn't in the Simulator.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik

4 Wood: PXG Gen 5

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 

Irons: Cleveland ZipCore XL (5-AW)
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 4 ZipCore  (54, 58)
Putter: Toulon Memphis

If you hit the 410's that good the offset obviously isn't a issue. I've switched back and forth between blades and G series for the last 15 years . Played the 410's last season. Minimal offset for a larger iron.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

You might want to demo Mizuno Hot Metal's too. They are a little smaller and less off than 410's but still true GI. They sound better than the G's too.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I’m pretty sure your last two sentences insulted most of the general population of this website.

So you understand, I’ve seen them (they’re ugly), I’ve hit them (nothing special), and I can afford them!

All you’ve convinced everyone of with your comments is that you are an arrogant, pompous ass!

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

Volrus, I live in Franklin also. Where do you usually play?

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

I played this morning with my 410's. Awesome clubs. My miss is out on the toe and I've never found a club that is more forgiving to that kind of miss than the 410's. The club face feel is communicative in that you can definitely tell when you miss, but they are no more harsh than most clubs and better than many. One piece forged clubs feel way worse than the 410's on mishits. The forged afficientados tend to like that and call it "feedback" though (ha ha.)

As an aside, my friend just picked up a Callaway Epic Flash driver and was hitting it quite nicely. He kept complaining about how he can't tell by feel whether he centered the strike or missed. No feedback. From what's being said in this thread that describes the PXG 0211's.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I agree on the 0211s, I couldn’t tell whether I flushed it or hit it on the toe. As for the G410s, yes, you can tell where it’s hit, it’s just very harsh feeling. With my MP 53s if I hit on the toe I knew it, but it didn’t feel anywhere near as bad as the 410. On the flip side, When I hit the Mizzys on the screws, it was amazing.

Does anyone find they hit the G410 too high? I’m a high ball, high spin player so my club fitter didn’t even let me try them during my fitting. I was fit into Z785 with Nippon 130X FWIW but these piqued my interest with less offset. My miss is toe side and I only play 2-4 times a month so I wanted to get something with help if needed. I still play competitively off a 3 HC but iron game has tended to be my weakness. I generally miss a lot of greens but chip it to tap-in range a lot of the time so I can use help!

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Ventus TR 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Makefield
Ball: 2024 Chrome Tour X