That one guy you HATE playing with...

caeye0710

First and foremost, angry guy. 

Next up is ultra competitive guy, problem being in my circle it’s the same guy. “I can’t believe how far left that was.” He replies “nowhere near as bad as mine on 10” or something. Every comment you make is an opportunity for a competition.  

Now from someone who works on a course and spends 50 hours a week on a course. 
- Hit his drive 200, has 300+ in on a par 5 and waits for the green to clear guy.

- Next 2 are tied with 8 practice swings guy and they all take a divot is tied with stands over the ball for 2 minutes guy. 
- Last is can’t wait or doesn’t care about hitting me guy. When I’m on a mower or spray rig or fixing irrigation, I will acknowledge you and let you know when I’m in a place for you to hit. You are never going to wait more than 60 seconds. If I acknowledge you and you hit me, it’s on me. If I don’t acknowledge you and you can’t wait, don’t be surprised if throw your ball in the water and tell you to leave and not come back (only happened twice, both times a guy hit right at me when I was about 30-40 yards in front of him, like literally over my head.)

• Like 1

I played with a twosome this weekend who were just completely unaware of their surroundings when driving their cart. On three separate occasions they drove directly over a golf ball, two of them plugging the ball in the fairway. I understand that you’re not always going to be aware of where everyones balls are, but you should at least be aware of where you’re driving. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It used to bother me more than it does now...but a few years ago I started taking my golf game a bit more serious and started shooting some decent scores.  On a few occasions I would be coming into the home stretch working on a personal best score and had someone that was trying to purposefully unravel the round for me.  In those cases the better you play the louder and more they complain so I started talking trash and telling them I wasn't letting up which I used to do to subdue them.  If I am having a bad round I will try to find something to work on or try to shoot +2 over the last 6 holes...whatever...but I am not trying to wreck someone else when they are having a good round. 

Signed, 

"You tee the ball so low", "you really aren't compressing the ball like you did last week", "pushed it" 

Club throwers and people who fly into a rage at a bad shot. I’ve seen a guy lose a club in the trees and had to come back after the round with a friends ladder. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° Driver

Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5° Fairway

Taylormade Stealth 2 21° Fairway

Taylormade P790 5-GW Irons

Vokey SM9 54 D-Grind SW

Vokey SM9 58 D-Grind LW

Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Black #1 

The “woah ball” guy when I roll my putt past the whole 3 feet.  This usually comes after they’ve picked up a handful of 4 footers.

The “that’s wet” guy when I hook one into the dead center of the lake.

The “I think it’s in the bunker guy” when I finally rip one down the middle.

I’ve learned to laugh about it now, as they are all the same guy.

Edited by chollier986

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got paired up with a guy for a late twilight at the local muni. I walk up to greet him and before he tells me his name he starts b*tching about the group in front of us and how he "usually only plays at the nicer courses so he doesn't have to deal with these hacks." Not a great introduction.

Then proceeds to do nothing but bash the course for how terrible it is, and to all of no one's surprise he isn't playing as well as he normally does. I've met a few golfers like him, and I usually just try to tune them out.

The other thing that bothers me -- and this might be my own problem -- is golfers taking things wayyyyyyy too seriously when they are shooting ~100. Taking forever to line up their 3 foot putts, spending all (or more) of the allotted time looking for lost balls...etc. I don't understand why they don't just enjoy the day and not get so bothered whether they shoot 102 vs 105 that day. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 12:21 AM, mallrat said:

First and foremost, angry guy. 

Next up is ultra competitive guy, problem being in my circle it’s the same guy. “I can’t believe how far left that was.” He replies “nowhere near as bad as mine on 10” or something. Every comment you make is an opportunity for a competition.  

Now from someone who works on a course and spends 50 hours a week on a course. 
- Hit his drive 200, has 300+ in on a par 5 and waits for the green to clear guy.

- Next 2 are tied with 8 practice swings guy and they all take a divot is tied with stands over the ball for 2 minutes guy. 
- Last is can’t wait or doesn’t care about hitting me guy. When I’m on a mower or spray rig or fixing irrigation, I will acknowledge you and let you know when I’m in a place for you to hit. You are never going to wait more than 60 seconds. If I acknowledge you and you hit me, it’s on me. If I don’t acknowledge you and you can’t wait, don’t be surprised if throw your ball in the water and tell you to leave and not come back (only happened twice, both times a guy hit right at me when I was about 30-40 yards in front of him, like literally over my head.)

Worked in golf in the height of Tiger's meteoric rise. While he did plenty to grow the game, in some ways he hurt it. Specifically giving birth to a whole bunch of overestimating neophytes who'd grind play to a slow crawl every weekend. Like 5-6+ hour rounds (local muni track). 

Remember one day we had complaints of slow play from a group out on the front nine. I ride out to encourage them to pick up the pace. Talking to one of the guys quietly while another is hitting. Dude was maybe 150 out. Taking all sorts of care in making practice swings, getting lined up, etc. Proceeds to hit an absolutely bladed screamer. Ball may not have gotten more than 5 feet off the ground. Amazingly it hits the pin dead nuts and comes to rest inside 10 feet from the hole. Guy I'm talking to indignantly says, "You see, that's how we do it". In that he genuinely believed it was a great shot because of where it finished. Was testament to their skill. And proof that they couldn't possibly be the problem out there that day. 

On the larger topic, I'm generally pretty laid back. Don't get bothered by other folks. Instead am more amused than anything by a number of the stereotypes mentioned in this thread. But if I had to pick one guy I'd never want to play with, it's the slow overestimater. The guy who's just entirely oblivious to his lack of skill, yet plays every hole as if he's trying to grind out a win on the 72nd of a major.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Being paired up with a stimulus check golfer with PXG irons = Long day on the course

That blowhard Bob Parsons did real well during the pandemic fooling stimulus check golfers into thinking they need his irons when they should have been buying a far more forgiving set of irons and spent the difference on lessons. 

On 3/26/2023 at 12:15 AM, mark174ace said:

Being paired up with a stimulus check golfer with PXG irons = Long day on the course

That blowhard Bob Parsons did real well during the pandemic fooling stimulus check golfers into thinking they need his irons when they should have been buying a far more forgiving set of irons and spent the difference on lessons. 

How can you tell the difference between guys who bought their PXG clubs with stimulus check money and who didn't?  Asking for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The rager is top of my list for sure, I've noticed that I pick up on the raging a lot of the times and it just makes for a not good time. I only play with two of them and one of them doesn't regularly play but is surprised and rages when they hit a bad shot...like what do you expect...

I HATE playing slow and try to never be the guy taking too long, some of my playing partners get slow sometimes especially if they start drinking and it is so annoying and embarrassing being the only one to ever say anything. This really annoys me when someone loses a ball, you don't need to spend 5 minutes looking for one ball man just take a drop if you don't find it in a reasonable timeframe and keep it moving but noooooooooooooooo they need to find their precious ball

4 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Sorry, man.  I hate to generalize.   

My history with those called Keith (4 in total) has not been good. 

Those called Kelly on the female side are equally not good.  

Maybe is a distain for the letter 'K'.  If so, you would have made a terrible pitcher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero