That one guy you HATE playing with...

caeye0710

The random 25 HCP guy that tell you about all the aces he has, and then goes on to tell you what club you should be hitting.  

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

Nothing against high handicap players either.  I don't care what the skill level of players are in my groups. 

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

I am seeing a common theme among the stimulus check golfers and it drives me crazy. The first two come from watching too much golf on tv.

• Pre-shot routines are a sight to behold.
  • Too much discussion on every tee box.
  • Never carry an extra ball in their pocket.
  • If they hit an errant shot they walk 25 yards to go find the ball then and will walk all the way back to the cart to get a club. I had a guy do that a couple of weeks ago on 3 of the first 4 holes and I wanted to strangle him.

When I go to Vegas to play:

• The guy that cannot wait to ask you where you are staying so he can brag about where is staying.
  • The guy that cannot wait to ask you where you ate dinner in last night so he can brag about where he ate last night.

I'm standing over a birdie putt on the 13th green, and the Worst Cart Partner Ever blurts out, "Hey, did I leave my pitching wedge on the 11th or 12th green?"

On the front nine, he kept misplacing his sand wedge.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

22 hours ago, mark174ace said:

I am seeing a common theme among the stimulus check golfers and it drives me crazy. The first two come from watching too much golf on tv.

• Pre-shot routines are a sight to behold.
  • Too much discussion on every tee box.

Not sure that's a post-COVID thing. It was well under way among people I see at my club as far back as 4-5 years ago. I play a lot as a single and see threesomes and foursomes, usually guys in their 30's and 40's, who are copying the mannerisms of TV golfers down to the minutest detail.

And for some of them that "too much discussion on the tee box" consists of each player stopping a couple times during their "routine" to have some sort of conversation with the other golfers EXACTLY like Jordan Spieth's interminable commentary directed at "Michael". 

It's a cohort thing. These dudes were exposed via TV at an impressionable age to that cohort of TV golfers who first became obsessed with the whole visualization, back off if you're not ready, fourteen step pre-shot routine, talk to your caddie until you can't possibly procrastinate any longer and then finally hit the ball mental game mumbo jumbo. 

On 11/9/2022 at 1:36 PM, AngryGilmore said:

If I saw a dog on my home course, I'd skip golf and play with the dog.

I do like the dog I just don't like what my clothes look like after a morning round. He gets out of the cart into the dewy grass and jumps back in the cart with wet dirty feet. He barfed his breakfast in my lap a while back. Would rather visit him at his house than when I'm trying to play golf.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2020 at 12:17 PM, Dr. Block said:

I am trying my best to learn how to put up with almost anything. I have chosen to accept the casual side of golf and how my ability in accepting it can help me grow into a more patient person. With that said, lets talk about playing when it matters.

If it matters, and we are concentrating, then don't give me any sort of analyzation of my shot, my swing, my strategic decision, or anything else. AND DON"T TALK TO MY F**K*!G BALL! That is the most important point of them all, do not talk to golf balls that aren't your own. So many people do this, stop it. 

My apologies for sounding like a jerk, but If reading this helps inform any of you who do those things, this post will have served a purpose. Say, "good rip", or, "nice ball" (if it is one) from the tee, then shut up for the rest of the hole. If a great shot is hit or putt is holed, then definitely acknowledge it, but keep it brief. If you want to talk, talk about things other than golf. If you do this, good players will enjoy playing with you. I am not saying I know because I am a good player, but I have a modest tournament background, and I've played with enough really good players to have observed the etiquette they grant one another. 

this is funny cause i know a dozen guys like you..... 

About the only thing that bothers me on the course when playing is when the guy in the cart hits the accelerator and pops the brake right when you are hitting.

Then the rest of the round you are over the ball waiting for the brake to pop, cause if he did once you know he going to do it again

No matter what you tell him

Also the guy that calls a birdie putt before it drops

STFU

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

Older member at my club stalks tee times and shows up every time I try to get out for a quick afternoon 9. 

same stories and random comments every time. Lines up every putt with 3 practice swings after studying the break like it’s the final putt on 18 to win the masters. 

Super nice guy that means well but I cringe every time he shows up like it’s an accident we are playing at the same time. 

• Like 2

On 1/6/2023 at 4:09 PM, acemandrake said:

"Keep your lips off my ball"

I like that

I am stealing it

Thanks

• Like 1

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Ball- Wilson Triad 

On 1/7/2023 at 12:02 PM, Robert72 said:

It is a sad testament to humanity that this thread is approaching 20 pages!

I remember when golf web forums were born.  Many replies were handled with one sentence. 

"Golf is fickle."    Everyone agreed and threads were shorter. 

Now it's all about love/hate characterizations, outdoing the other guys, dislike for commentators, fancy belts, shave memberships, performance socks and caffeinated attitudes. 

the cheater/bragger combo:  i am all for you doing whatever the hell you want out on the course... you want a free drop fine, you want to not count that little duff you had that went 2 yards fine, you want to dig your club into the sand to give yourself a better shot fine.  Just don't roll into the parking lot saying you beat me and try to bust my balls.

• Like 2

P7MC (project x 6.5) - MG3 50, MG2 54,60 (project x 6.5) - Sim2 9 Deg Driver (Ventus velocore black 6x) - Sim 3w (Ventus velocore blue 7x) - Scotty X11  

We have one guy at our course that I like as a person, but I do not enjoy playing golf with him.  He will critique every shot I hit and if you don't brag on his shots, he will brag on himself.  

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG 0311 Gen 3 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter

On 1/7/2023 at 12:02 PM, Robert72 said:

I think we're at a weird intersection in the world right now, not just golf.

You got 3 groups. 2 of which who all think they're right and everyone is wrong.

1. The everyone should bow and not do anything I don't like group.

2. The I don't care I do what I want no matter what group

3. The rare in the middle group that actually has critical thinking skills of when to actually do or say something and when not to.

• Like 1

Chatterboxes with no volume control.

Not sure if it's due to his hearing going or just his nature, but we have one guy at my club that won't shut up and he's so friggin' loud you can hear him 5 holes away. I absolutely cringe when I get to the club and see his car in the lot.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

The high handicap who gets paired with a low single digit/scratch golfer and expects every drive they hit to be in the fairway 290+; every iron shot painting the flag; and every putt to go in. And when that doesn’t happen they yap at you about you’re not as good as I thought you’d be… Lets see, i’ve played the ball down, and putted everything out and i’m 1 over. You’ve rolled the ball everywhere, taken 2 illegal drops, picked up 3 4footers that were “good”, and you’re 19 over through 13. Sorry I didn’t meet your expectations guy! 

And for what its worth, if we’re paired up you can talk to my ball any time. It listens about as much as my 4 year old does to me, so maybe you’ll have better luck!

No offense to anyone, i’m sure every one of us on here is the perfect playing partner!! 😉😂

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 9:38 AM, Warrior42111 said:

3. The rare in the middle group that actually has critical thinking skills of when to actually do or say something and when not to.

This person is a Myth

Like the Yeti or his North America cousin the Sasquatch

• Haha 2

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Ball- Wilson Triad 

On 1/7/2023 at 11:02 AM, Robert72 said:

Just read the last page of this thread. Hilarious.Golf is similar to driving. Everyone thinks they’re good drivers and that everyone else on the road are idiots and suck at driving. Same here, I doubt there are any posts where someone confesses their faults (me included). We all do something that annoys other guys. So has anyone called you out and told you they hate playing with you? Maybe another 20 page thread? 😳🤣

4 hours ago, brutus27 said:

Just read the last page of this thread. Hilarious.Golf is similar to driving. Everyone thinks they’re good drivers and that everyone else on the road are idiots and suck at driving. Same here, I doubt there are any posts where someone confesses their faults (me included). We all do something that annoys other guys. So has anyone called you out and told you they hate playing with you? Maybe another 20 page thread? 😳🤣

I was called out because I talked to a player's ball while it was rolling towards the hole.   Now, ironically, it really bugs me when people talk to MY ball!

• Like 1

Oh I forgot one. The 'unsolicited advice guy' who will give you their tips on why you just hozelrocketed the ball 2 fairways over for the 3rd hole in a row while your trying to not let an entire weeks worth of work and homelife frustration out.

There is nothing worse than a random group member trying to tell you that you swung too hard while your trying to not let that 5 seconds of rage snap your $600 driver head off on the teebox.

Edited by akronswitness

1 hour ago, akronswitness said:

Oh I forgot one. The 'unsolicited advice guy' who will give you their tips on why you just hozelrocketed the ball 2 fairways over for the 3rd hole in a row while your trying to not let an entire weeks worth of work and homelife frustration out.

There is nothing worse than a random group member trying to tell you that you swung too hard while your trying to not let that 5 seconds of rage snap your $600 driver head off on the teebox.

Anyone who gives me advice on the course. 

Unless you are a golf pro…… I don’t want to hear it. Even when I play with a few of these guy from time to time, they give me no swing advice on the course… we will talk about better ways I could handle certain course strategy…. Which is fine… 

i wonder if feeling about some of these things in this thread different for riders vs walkers….. 

As a person who always walks…. I just keep my distance from guys doing annoying stuff…..  it if I had to ride with some of these personalities, I would lose it….. 

also, I feel like walkers seem to be connected to the game a little more…. Pace of play and stuff…. 

my 2nd most annoying guy is radio guy on his push cart. 

i play a lot of golf…. But when I am out on that course, the phone goes away… I want to disconnect and enjoy the peace and quite. 

It’s especially great when you hear the guys radio from the next fairway. And this is at a private club…..