That one guy you HATE playing with...

caeye0710

1 hour ago, willie991 said:

She "explained"... "No.  He's very athletic.  Bought a set of clubs and went out about three or four times.  Every time he went out, he shot par or better. 

Maybe, just maybe, she doesn't play golf and never played with her husband.  Trust me, he never shot par... unless par is 100.  She was benevolently gullible.  Trust, but verify.

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

20 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Where do people like these last two guys come from???

sales or politics 😆

• Haha 1

🍍 2023 WITB 🍍

Titleist TSR3 9.0* w/ Ventus Black 6x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* w/ Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSR3 19* w/ Ventus HB Blue 8s

Titleist T200 4-iron w/ Axiom 105x

Artisan LS 720HM 5-PW w/ Modus 115x

Artisan 50*, 56* w/ TT DGS S200

Vokey WW 60* LB-K w/ TT DGS S200

Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport Two

Angry guy... who has no reason to lose it because he's not good enough to be angry at it. No practice, AT ALL- if and when he DOES 'practice' at the range, it's machine gun drivers with his "aim 40 yards left hoping it only goes 20 yards into the right rough" method.

Dilly-dally story teller who has no concept that there are 143 other folks out there trying to get done in a reasonable time.

Rabbit guy- who like above guy, doesn't care that there are 143 others on pace, HE wants to finish in 2 hours, so damn the torpedoes and trying to bully his way through by hitting up on groups ahead.

On 5/8/2023 at 2:56 AM, kmbean said:

My ex-FIL.  He was very successful in business and was considered the best golfer in his extended family before I entered the picture.  Just a very pompous, rude person who steamrolled his way over people in life with no concern for the well being of others.  I couldn’t stand being around the guy but had to endure many rounds of golf with him.  It was amusing proving to him time and time again he’s not the best at everything as he previously believed.

It is regrettable how commonly these two things are found together.

Edited by blades_are_life
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, ae1985 said:

My friend and league partner: "DUDE I JUST HIT THAT HYBRID 210 YARDS!"

Me: Well, it's 70 yards off the fairway so who cares.

My friend and league partner: "DUDE I JUST HIT THAT HYBRID 210 YARDS!"

Me: Get a room.  😁

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2023 at 2:39 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

Where do people like these last two guys come from???

The sad part is with the narcissism becoming so prevalent in our society it is only going to get worse in everyday life not just the golf course. I am 50 and I have been paired up in the last 3-4 years with so many younger dudes who openly admit they only care about how far the ball goes and not their score. Very indicative of our society today..egos high and the bar set low.

• Like 4

Mr Never Happy. Was drawn with this guy a fortnight ago. The third player withdrew so I was left to suffer. Lost a ball on first, didn't go back to play another and then whined the whole round. Everything was wrong. Tees, bunkers, rakes, number of leaves on the trees. Purgatory. I will withdraw if I see their name in the same tee time. 

11 hours ago, mark174ace said:

The sad part is with the narcissism becoming so prevalent in our society it is only going to get worse in everyday life not just the golf course. I am 50 and I have been paired up in the last 3-4 years with so many younger dudes who openly admit they only care about how far the ball goes and not their score. Very indicative of our society today..egos high and the bar set low.

You say this is prevalent now which is surely true but my impression (as non-narcissistic) young is that this was also a defining cultural characteristic of the 80s.

• Like 2

I play as a single a lot and can get along with almost everyone....last night was playing solo and got off alone because a tee time didn't show up. Was playing behind a group of four, but taking my time and enjoying the day. Nobody behind me. 

Wasn't striking the ball well but was +1 after 3 and was trying to work on a few things. Get off of the green on #3 and a single zooms up babbling all over the place...said he crushed his drive and his ball has to be under my cart or somewhere (my cart was in the middle of the fairway out in front of the green). I told him I didn't see or hear anything. He drives all over fairway and around creek and zooms back up and asked if I wanted to play with him. I told him no worries and met him at the tee box. 

The next 6 holes were some of the most brutal of my life...guy literally wouldnt stop talking, was talking in his backswing and rambling on about everything under the sun. In his rambles he mentioned he worked groundcrew somewhere and was trying to tell me about lips on the cups and how to angle them, etc...unreal. Point is he wasn't a new golfer. Multiple times I'd be like "allright dude you ready to putt?" or "fairway is wide open you can go ahead and tee off" in the middle of one of his sentences to try to redirect him.  

I engaged a little and ignored a lot and was finally about to say something to him (I am not shy about saying something if its ethics or etiquette and out of line)  but tried to take an approach to use this as an opportunity to work on my mental game. It didnt work hahahahaha

I almost drove straight to my truck from the 5th tee, but stuck it out and finished 9. Couldn't get out of there fast enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rustyneversleeps said:

I play as a single a lot and can get along with almost everyone....last night was playing solo and got off alone because a tee time didn't show up. Was playing behind a group of four, but taking my time and enjoying the day. Nobody behind me. 

Wasn't striking the ball well but was +1 after 3 and was trying to work on a few things. Get off of the green on #3 and a single zooms up babbling all over the place...said he crushed his drive and his ball has to be under my cart or somewhere (my cart was in the middle of the fairway out in front of the green). I told him I didn't see or hear anything. He drives all over fairway and around creek and zooms back up and asked if I wanted to play with him. I told him no worries and met him at the tee box. 

The next 6 holes were some of the most brutal of my life...guy literally wouldnt stop talking, was talking in his backswing and rambling on about everything under the sun. In his rambles he mentioned he worked groundcrew somewhere and was trying to tell me about lips on the cups and how to angle them, etc...unreal. Point is he wasn't a new golfer. Multiple times I'd be like "allright dude you ready to putt?" or "fairway is wide open you can go ahead and tee off" in the middle of one of his sentences to try to redirect him.  

I engaged a little and ignored a lot and was finally about to say something to him (I am not shy about saying something if its ethics or etiquette and out of line)  but tried to take an approach to use this as an opportunity to work on my mental game. It didnt work hahahahaha

I almost drove straight to my truck from the 5th tee, but stuck it out and finished 9. Couldn't get out of there fast enough. 

I think your new friend wants you to play with him again on Friday... 😁

• Haha 1

Paired with "that guy" today... Struts around like a stud even though his untucked polo could also be a mini dress. Comments on every swing you make regardless if it was brilliant or crap. Talks about his buddies game behind his back,  "he's working with him to get him better" as he shoot dbl boogie after dbl...

Segue to hated course-adjacent behavior, but people who hang around 4 or 8 deep in the parking lot when the course is packed and they know people are trying to get a parking spot and enjoy their round as well. If you want to hang out forever after your round join a CC or play on slower days. Respect that those playing after you want to get out there just as much as you did.

Also, the tools who throw their half-smoked cigars by the practice greens. I know it's the same ******* every time and you're going to catch hell from me the day I happen to see it go down. At one of my courses it's some guy who plays at the butt crack of dawn cause I've gotten out pretty early and there it was, already waiting to irritate me.

On course, there's not much that bothers me as I can usually tune into my own game and have no issue. The only thing that gets me is wildly slow play yet no awareness to wave others through or speed up to a reasonable pace. Luckily most of the courses I go to have active marshals during peak hours along with warnings via the media screen on the cart, but in the evenings it's not unusual to just have to pick up and go around a group when I'm trying to get a few in before dark.

paired up with an annoying golfer who kepted to herself   Not really wanting to engage which was okay 

But when I was on the green and missed my initial putt and I was 3-4 foot away I would prefer to mark my ball but she kept insisted that I putt out

Did not like the way she spoke to me like that as I have a right to mark my ball 

I can enjoy golf with just about every personality type but I met a guy last year who was intolerable.

Second or third tee box I asked him how long he'd been at the club, he responded in a $ amount with a bizarre smug look on his face. It was incredibly odd. Then at the green I putt out and he says to me, "at least you're not one of those idiots with a giant putter grip." He went on for the entirety of the next hole explaining why large putter grips were the absolute worst. (I did not engage and did not care.) After he was done ragging on large putter grips he proceeded onto "idiot YouTubers" and what he was "trying to get through to the golf community". The guy talked about YouTubers and swing technique for 6 - 7 holes and then came in with unsolicited swing advice. I played contrarian to try to shut him up but he just doubled down. I had to ignore him completely to get him to shut up. On 10 the guy melted down because of a sculled approach shot. His ball wasn't even in trouble but he picked it up from ~60 yards out, didn't say anything, and walked to the next tee. The rest of us played out and came up the tee box to this guy still muttering to himself. Despite never losing a ball, he spent the remaining 8 holes searching for them constantly. He was literally thrashing around in the trees and long grass, immediately next to us, while we played our shots. He picked up another 3 or 4 times after bad shots that were completely recoverable for par. 

If I ever see him on one of my times again, I'll move. He's not even that bad of a player but there are definitely some mental issues going on there.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus - 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 16.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7x  

Taylormade Stealth 2 - 21* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8x  
Ping I20 (4 - GW) - KBS Tour 130 X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 56.14 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Vokey SM4 Nickel - 60.10 - KBS Tour X-Stiff 130g  
Titleist Scotty Phantom X 7  

Titleist Pro V1 Ball | NO1 50-PRO Grips | Nikon Coolshot Pro II Rangefinder

2 hours ago, Haroputt said:

paired up with an annoying golfer who kepted to herself   Not really wanting to engage which was okay 

But when I was on the green and missed my initial putt and I was 3-4 foot away I would prefer to mark my ball but she kept insisted that I putt out

Did not like the way she spoke to me like that as I have a right to mark my ball 

Just out of curiousity.....was her name, KAREN?🤣

spacer.png

• Haha 2

30 seconds after meeting a single we're paired up with, I smother-hook my tee shot into the trees.  Him:  "You got out in front of that one.  You tried to kill it."

I'm thinking, WTF?

It actually didn't get better from there.  Talking while people were putting.  Congratulating another guy on a great shot even though he'd thinned it badly into an impossible situation well behind the green.  Asking me what club I'm hitting after I'd addressed my ball on a par-3.  After I skulled a downhill chip into the water, "You can't go long on that chip shot."  After I completely duffed a fairway bunker shot, "Nice out!!"

Speak up to your buddies you enjoy playing with or to the guy who drives you nuts. I did this with one of our buddies who NOBODY wants to play with and it helped a bit but ultimately I just decided to play with people I enjoy playing with as I’m in the same boat as you and have limited time to play. Although my 4 year old is obsessed with golf so more rounds are going to come at some point down the road. 

• Like 2

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

1) Small Talkers drive me nuts.  I don't care about the weather, last nights game, where you live, what you do for a living, if you're married or not, how often you play the course were on, etc.  Not only do I not care about it, but I doubt you do as well.  If there's not something of substance to discuss, I'mI perfectly comfortable with silence,  don't make me talk because you aren't.  If we somehow hit it off and become friends, I'll learn most of that stuff about you in time anyway.

2) Guys that search endlessly for lost balls and then grind over a 3 footer for their 10th snowman on the day.  If you're losing balls every hole, you're not ready for the course, and for the sanity of all the people around you once you get to double par pick the ball up. 

3) Slow golfers, just because you hate your wife, doesn't mean I hate mine and want to be out there all day.

4) Angry golfers, we're paying a lot of money to be out there.  It's fine to not like a shot but get over it so you can at least pull off your next one.  We pay a lot of money to be out there, you'll have some good days, you'll have some bad days.  At the end of the day this isn't how we're making our living, nor does it define us as people so why stress over the bad shots.

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

42 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

1) Small Talkers drive me nuts.  I don't care about the weather, last nights game, where you live, what you do for a living, if you're married or not, how often you play the course were on, etc.  Not only do I not care about it, but I doubt you do as well.  If there's not something of substance to discuss, I'mI perfectly comfortable with silence...

Okay, next time you and I tee it up we'll talk politics...

• Haha 4