2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

That one guy you HATE playing with...

caeye0710

My ex-FIL.  He was very successful in business and was considered the best golfer in his extended family before I entered the picture.  Just a very pompous, rude person who steamrolled his way over people in life with no concern for the well being of others.  I couldn’t stand being around the guy but had to endure many rounds of golf with him.  It was amusing proving to him time and time again he’s not the best at everything as he previously believed.

Edited by kmbean
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People who are not good (which is fine) but take 5+ practice swings then act surprised that they hit a poor shot when that's what they do 95% of the time. This also correlates to slow play.

Two fun stories, one guy takes his 5 practice swings on a par 3, goes "Oops, wrong club!" goes back to the cart, grabs another club, repeats his minute-long routine, then shanks it immediately into the trees to the right. Recently, we were a threesome losing ground to a foursome and having one on our butts the entire day. My buddy and I would be done putting while he was still getting set up for chips. We wanted to ditch him, but were not gapped enough where we could.

Bonus points in that both were constantly going on about inane things. I don't mind some chitchat, but it was just endless word vomit...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue 💎💎💎 9* - HZRDUS Black Gen4 6.0 60g

Hybrid - 3 - Wilson D9 - Tensei CK Silver 70

Irons - 4-5 - Wilson CB - DG S300

Irons - 6-P - Wilson Staff Blades - DG S300

Wedges - 50/54 - Tommy Armour 845 Forged

Wedge - 58 - Wilson Tour Grind - DG 120 Stiff

Wedge - 62 - Sub70 JB Forged

Putter - Bettinardi Queen B #6

On 4/24/2023 at 8:06 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

I once had a golf acquaintance who appointed himself scorekeeper for the group, even though I don't want anyone else keeping my score.  I like to keep it in my head.  Well, he'd ask everyone, "What did you get?"  So I started reporting a score higher than what I got.  Paul would say, "I had you for a par."  Well, then just put down the damn score without asking me.  I think he just wanted to catch someone cheating...

This is interesting.

Are these casual/friendly rounds, and/or with strangers (other than the "acquaintance") ?

If the former, while I still don't quite understand the objection, at least it's not a big deal. I guess, if it were me, I'd just tell the guy "Thanks, but don't worry about it. I'll keep my own score" (which I expect is what you (try to) do).

But surely you wouldn't have any objection within a more formal "comp" of another player in the comp wanting to keep other/your score, no ?

I am SO used to keeping the entire group's score, as for 20+ years my club played a team game with 2 best balls counting for the team and the club had a rule that 2 scorecards had to be returned or you were DQ'd.

I hardly ever play a casual round anymore; there's always some ca$h on the line - so I wouldn't think anybody would object to anybody else keeping their score. I certainly wouldn't.

But I ask because there's a point$ game I joined a couple of years ago, and when I kept everybody's score there was occasionally a guy who made some grumblings noises, & even sounded almost offended, and almost grudgingly called out his # on each hole.

To this day (I never asked) I'm not sure if even everybody's cart-mate keeps 2 scores. Or if there's a "rule" that 2 cards s/b kept - it's a <cough> "friendly" <cough> game. 🙃

I can't even imagine not keeping everybody's score on at least 2 scorecards where $ is involved.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

17 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

This is interesting.

Are these casual/friendly rounds, and/or with strangers (other than the "acquaintance") ?

If the former, while I still don't quite understand the objection, at least it's not a big deal. I guess, if it were me, I'd just tell the guy "Thanks, but don't worry about it. I'll keep my own score" (which I expect is what you (try to) do).

But surely you wouldn't have any objection within a more formal "comp" of another player in the comp wanting to keep other/your score, no ?

I am SO used to keeping the entire group's score, as for 20+ years my club played a team game with 2 best balls counting for the team and the club had a rule that 2 scorecards had to be returned or you were DQ'd.

I hardly ever play a casual round anymore; there's always some ca$h on the line - so I wouldn't think anybody would object to anybody else keeping their score. I certainly wouldn't.

But I ask because there's a point$ game I joined a couple of years ago, and when I kept everybody's score there was occasionally a guy who made some grumblings noises, & even sounded almost offended, and almost grudgingly called out his # on each hole.

To this day (I never asked) I'm not sure if even everybody's cart-mate keeps 2 scores. Or if there's a "rule" that 2 cards s/b kept - it's a <cough> "friendly" <cough> game. 🙃

I can't even imagine not keeping everybody's score on at least 2 scorecards where $ is involved.

Casual round, no money, not a tournament.   Otherwise I'm fine with it. 

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

People who damages greens out of a missed putt or score and someone who blows up right next to you. 
And the guy who starts complaining about his game and does it for the next upteen holes. Get over it. 

• Like 3

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

On 5/12/2023 at 4:48 PM, NoTalentLefty said:

People who damages greens out of a missed putt or score and someone who blows up right next to you. 
And the guy who starts complaining about his game and does it for the next upteen holes. Get over it. 

I knew he meant well, but wanting to get MY yardage for me and his with his range finder before every shot I hit got a bit annoying. I use the markers on the course, add/subtract in my head according to pin placement, one practice swing and hit my shot. I pretty much know my yardage and club I'll hit before I get to my ball. My use of "devices" when I'm playing is zero. I shut off my phone before the first hole. Others in my group need to take selfies, use their golf apps, take a movie on the course? *sigh*. Please just don't. 

• Like 1

Met Mr. chatty, recently.  As he came towards the first tee, he stopped at my bag to look.  Then dressed in tournament clothes, started chatting as he walked on to the tee.  He then asked if we wanted to play a money game?  If I don't know the guy or a friend isn't vouching for him, I won't play for money.  I said not interested. 

He persisted till I looked him in the eye and said no thank you, as did my buddy.  He got one of the other guy to play.  He was sporting a tournament bag and player irons, looking like a Pro on a day off.  We were playing Black tees, 72/133.  On #1, I hit 2 iron just past the dog-leg right, in the fairway.  His first was OB right, second was long left in trees, etc...  This course was in great shape, played fast, tight fairway and landing areas, and greens were 11+ stimp and undulated.  I've played this course at least 50 times.

He never stopped talking while repeatedly looking for his errant ball.  We tried to stay away from him, but sometimes that wasn't possible.  Finally, the last hole is a tricky tight short Par 5, with a reachable hazard crossing in the landing zone.  I hit 4 iron in middle, short of the hazard, setup for next iron layup shot.  He liked asking why I wasn't using driver on various holes, including this one; I obliged him and shared what I knew about the course.  He looked at me, and said, he's going for it.  When I watch someone play golf like he was, it's a slight letdown, as he's not learning from the course or better golfers.

After the ball cleared the creek, turned into a duck hooked on into a stand of trees and scrubs.  He decided to go for the green, requiring a duck hook over a pond 175yd to cover.  I looked at my buddy and both of us shook our heads.  He dumped his next in pond.  We laid up for wedges in.  He dropped, flew the green into a deep back bunker, then watched him execute some talented army golf...LOL  Think he took an 8-10, and probably shot mid 90s+.   Though he was a nice guy, he not only talked way too much, we waited on him a lot.  He thought of himself as a player, but it was the furthest from reality.   Aside from his constant jabber, I'd play with him again if it were to happen. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

I got an occasional +1 to my normal group who is generally inconsiderate about others on the course. Sometimes gets me super frustrated, but I've finally learned to mind my own game when we play together. Highlights include:

- Casual weekend hacker (25+ hdcp), but needs to take 3 practice swings every shot and line up his putts and recheck his line 4 times before putting

- Doesn't repair ball marks on the green/doesn't fill divots with sand

- Generally lackadaisical about golf etiquette (moving around or talking during someone's swing, stepping in lines, etc.)

The worst for me is someone that doesn't just make small talk. They start talking about every option that came out on Corvettes since 1953.

I get so sidetracked that I can't remember where my ball went.

Also, someone that gripes and complains about every shot they hit.

The act like the clubhouse is watching and turns on the strong wind only when they hit.

Or they think that no one else plays with water hazards, the clubhouse turns in the water and fills the pond when they show up.

I'm usually pretty easy to get along with.

This happened over 10 years ago.  I'm a single paired up with nice people.  We get to the green and I'm told that I marked my ball wrong and that I've been doing it wrong for several holes (no bets, just a random match up). 

I always put the marker behind my ball, one of the golfers I was paired with insisted that I was marking in front of my ball but putting my ball behind when ready to putt for an advantage.  Odd, very odd. 

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

On 5/8/2023 at 5:56 AM, kmbean said:

My ex-FIL.  He was very successful in business and was considered the best golfer in his extended family before I entered the picture.  Just a very pompous, rude person who steamrolled his way over people in life with no concern for the well being of others.  I couldn’t stand being around the guy but had to endure many rounds of golf with him.  It was amusing proving to him time and time again he’s not the best at everything as he previously believed.

I played in a team league years ago and your ex-FIL might have been my partner.  I was paired with 'that guy' in every match.  We did very well as a team but it was miserable.  I stared apologizing to our opponents in advance because I knew how he would treat them.  I was definitely trying to win our matches but it was so bad that I almost found myself rooting for him to hit bad shots or miss putts just to put him in his place.  Our captain throughout the season kept telling me, 'we're keeping you two together since you are winning'.  I was the new guy and didn't know the team very well so I just rolled with it.  We ended up winning the league and there was a party at the end of final.  Our captain and a couple of the guys brought me a beer and a shot when I walked off 18 and joked that I was the MVP because I was the only player on the team that was willing to play with this guy more than once if at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've been playing in a two man league for years and we've always done well. We get a team a few years ago that one of the players looks at every putt from all 4 sides. Me and my partner look at each other like oh nooo.  When he finishes his green reading he starts aim point. The straddling, the fingers the whole #@$%^&* process. Needless to say 4 holes in we have lost total site of the teams in front of us. Played 9 holes in 3.5 hours and left about 5 groups unable to finish due to darkness. Still to this day I'm scarred and simply can't watch anyone doing aim point. 

I've been playing in a two man league for years and we've always done well. We get a team a few years ago that one of the players looks at every putt from all 4 sides. Me and my partner look at each other like oh nooo.  When he finishes his green reading he starts aim point. The straddling, the fingers the whole #@$%^&* process. Needless to say 4 holes in we have lost total site of the teams in front of us. Played 9 holes in 3.5 hours and left about 5 groups unable to finish due to darkness. Still to this day I'm scarred and simply can't watch anyone doing aim point. 

• Sad 1

On 5/24/2023 at 7:54 AM, JosephNewton293 said:

The irony being that Aimpoint is designed and intended to elimate the walking around the green looking from every angle. 

Aimpoint isn't to blame as it's actually a very quick system. It's the users such as the person you played with that cause slow play, not a green reading system. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Divot License said:

The irony being that Aimpoint is designed and intended to elimate the walking around the green looking from every angle. 

Aimpoint isn't to blame as it's actually a very quick system. It's the users such as the person you played with that cause slow play, not a green reading system. 

I WAS blaming the player, not a particular "green reading system". It was a long and horrible situation that equated to over analyzing relatively flat greens. If you were offended feel free to hold a finger up in my direction....or two or three..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don’t like players that set themselves for a practice swing - going through the whole pre shot routine and waggle and set just for a practice swing. Then go through it all again for the shot.

T T TODAYYYYYY JUNIOR

also guys that rest clubs on their legs to check their alignment then step up to the ball and stand way more open or closed from their previous position and wonder why they spray it

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST 🔹🔹🔹LS 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR blue 6X

Titleist TSr3 16.5* - Tensei Blue 65X

Titleist 2023 t200 4 Project X 6.0

Titleist 2021 t100s 5-GW - Project X 6.0

Vokey SM9 - 52*, 56* m grind

Cleveland Zipcore raw - 60* low

Odyssey White Hot OG 1/OG 11/Toulon Atlanta

Srixon Z Star🔹

Was playing in my regular group last weekend 

Me, a regular, and a guy who plays with us when he is not offshore working

When the offshore guy comes to play with us he is a wealth of useless information, not to mention a one-upper.  No matter what you did , he did something better. The type of guy who waits for the green to clear when he is 260 out. " I had hit it this far before" Yea right. He is not a bad player but he is not hitting a 3 wood 260 off the deck.

So the offshore guy rips a drive down the left side of the fairway over a pond. He takes the cart over there to look for his ball.  He finds it and shouts at the top of his lungs that he found it right in the middle of the other guys swing.  I couldn't help but laugh, I know I shouldn't have but dam it was funny.  He was apologizing profusely and the other guy was so mad.  I thought it was hilarious

Of course, he had a story about finding his ball and something else but I stopped paying attention

Dam that was funny.  I wish I had it on camera.

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

I played the other day with a guy who waited an entire hole for me to catch up to him so we could play together (early morning, we were both singles), he never shut up, and he had to point out that that I was teeing the ball up illegally. I might have teed up an half-inch in front of the marker. I’m out there early for a peaceful practice round and he forces himself all over me.

3 minutes ago, PSHCT said:

I played the other day with a guy who waited an entire hole for me to catch up to him so we could play together (early morning, we were both singles), he never shut up, and he had to point out that that I was teeing the ball up illegally. I might have teed up an half-inch in front of the marker. I’m out there early for a peaceful practice round and he forces himself all over me.

"Oh, I left my ball on the green a hole ago... gotta go back and get it."

Some of you are admirable in your restraint based upon some of the tales told here.  I'd still have at least 3-7 years left on sentence.

I play with anyone anywhere but have a strong disdain for those who cannot count.

Especially the ones I have wait minutes for when i am on green on two strokes and then three putts for a par 5 and they give me a birdie score for their score coming off green to carts.  And no money or drinks are involved as result of scoring.

Epic Flash Driver 12deg Project X Even Flow 40

Epic Flash 3 wood 15deg Project X Even Flow 60

Epic Flash 5 wood 18deg Project X Even Flow 55

Epic Flash 7 wood 21deg Project X Even Flow 65

Epic Flash 5 hybrid 24 deg Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver

2019 Big Bertha OS irons 5-9 UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 460|F2

Callaway Jaws Raw 48deg Project X Catalyst Wedge

Equalizer II 52deg UST Recoil 760-F2/A-Flex

Sure Out 2 56deg UST Mamiya Wedge 65

Meridian Okatie putter

The guy that has to tell you on every single shot why he hit it bad.  “I didn’t get my hips through. I lifting my head up. My shoulder was too low, etc etc…”. Every single shot..  and putt. Then after the round they want to recount every hole that he messed up and why

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

36 minutes ago, ProStryker said:

The guy that has to tell you on every single shot why he hit it bad.  “I didn’t get my hips through. I lifting my head up. My shoulder was too low, etc etc…”. Every single shot..  and putt. Then after the round they want to recount every hole that he messed up and why

Sounds like one of my golf buddies.  He also has to tell everyone, "That went left".  I topped that one."  "Pushed that."  Kinda stating the obvious, don't you think?  Thinking he might be in training to be a golf broadcaster/analyst.

completely agree with everything in this thread, also making me feel super self conscious next time i play 😄

Edited by AlohaPineapple
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

🍍 2023 WITB 🍍

Titleist TSR3 9.0* w/ Ventus Black 6x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* w/ Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSR3 19* w/ Ventus HB Blue 8s

Titleist T200 4-iron w/ Axiom 105x

Artisan LS 720HM 5-PW w/ Modus 115x

Artisan 50*, 56* w/ TT DGS S200

Vokey WW 60* LB-K w/ TT DGS S200

Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport Two

I don’t run into a lot of singles I dislike playing with but I finally had one last night. To set the scene this particular course has very nice conditions but a ton of people there to party and golf is just secondary. I am not there to party I just love to golf I don’t care where or when. This guy shows up 30 minutes late for his original tee time and hung around the first tee until there was room in a group for him to join. It was just me and the wife so we said absolutely you can join. The very first interaction was him introducing himself with his first name, his alleged handicap (2) but he will be playing the forward tees today because he has a big match with his brother that plays from the forward tees the next day and how he is a member at a very prestigious and private course we probably haven’t heard of or played about 4 hours and a ferry ride away. I’ve played the course he is a member at and it’s nothing special and completely open to the public. We try and chat a little on the first tee waiting for the fairway to clear and he is very stand offish. Bad vibes right away. He proceeds to hit his opening tee shot 2 fairways over and chunked his way back to open up with a +5 start and continued to play that way the rest of the round. I personally do not care what you shoot as long as you keep up which to his credit he did. By the fourth hole he starts to get extremely negative about his own game coming up with every excuse under the sun about why he isn’t playing well. Hole 5 the wife is +1 she is having the round of her life and whooping my butt in our match and this guy comes up to her and says I am a 2 handicap I’ve noticed a few things you can work on let me show you… now my wife is pretty witty and has noticed this guy has pulled his ball out of every bunker he has been in and hit from the grass beside so she asked if he’d like some bunker tips and that pretty much shut him up for the rest of the round with teaching ideas. Extreme negativity really sucked the joy out of our round and the unsolicited advice is always a bummer.  He bailed after 9 which made for a much more enjoyable back 9.  I have never played with someone like that before and hopefully never will again. 

Edited by tips09
  • Like 4

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

On 6/9/2023 at 2:46 PM, scott406 said:

Was playing in my regular group last weekend 

Me, a regular, and a guy who plays with us when he is not offshore working

When the offshore guy comes to play with us he is a wealth of useless information, not to mention a one-upper.  No matter what you did , he did something better. The type of guy who waits for the green to clear when he is 260 out. " I had hit it this far before" Yea right. He is not a bad player but he is not hitting a 3 wood 260 off the deck.

So the offshore guy rips a drive down the left side of the fairway over a pond. He takes the cart over there to look for his ball.  He finds it and shouts at the top of his lungs that he found it right in the middle of the other guys swing.  I couldn't help but laugh, I know I shouldn't have but dam it was funny.  He was apologizing profusely and the other guy was so mad.  I thought it was hilarious

Of course, he had a story about finding his ball and something else but I stopped paying attention

Dam that was funny.  I wish I had it on camera.

An acquaintance at our course is the same.  He's a retired government employee.  There is no place you can name he hasn't been.  There's nothing he hasn't done.  How he worked 40 years for the county and still managed a golf course, built houses, ran a business, etc., etc., etc.  Name a town in the middle of Africa and he was probably mayor there.  He was on the Board with me for a short while and told us how to do everything... because he'd done it... but never had the time to help.  I speak to him when we pass in the clubhouse, but sure don't hang around for visit time.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, willie991 said:

An acquaintance at our course is the same.  He's a retired government employee.  There is no place you can name he hasn't been.  There's nothing he hasn't done.  How he worked 40 years for the county and still managed a golf course, built houses, ran a business, etc., etc., etc.  Name a town in the middle of Africa and he was probably mayor there.  He was on the Board with me for a short while and told us how to do everything... because he'd done it... but never had the time to help.  I speak to him when we pass in the clubhouse, but sure don't hang around for visit time.  

Where do people like these last two guys come from???