2020 Ben Hogan Icon blades

RobotDoctor

I have played 3 rounds with mine and I have to say that they are surprisingly easy to hit. They fit me like a glove. The funny thing is that I have picked up about 6-7 yards per club so I have been flying a lot of greens. Love the feel, love that there is so little offset. They are perfect for working the ball and they spin a lot which makes it easy to hold greens (hard greens in my part of the world). They are truly fantastic!

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Driver: Mizuno st180 - Diamana Bf60x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]3 wood: Callaway rogue sz - GD Tour AD-DI 7x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Hybrid: Callaway Rogue 19* - GD Tour AD-DI 85x ---Testing Srixon H85 veylix rome 988x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]2-Iron: PXG 0311x extreme dark - KBS Tour prototype hybrid 95s+[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Tour 5-pw - Project x lz 6.5[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Wedges: Mizuno T7 52&58 - KBS Custom Black Wedge shafts[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Putter: Toulon Atlanta Garage All black[/size][/font][/i]

Had an opportunity to hit these during a Club Champion fitting and was thoroughly impressed.  Feel and performance exceeded several leading clubs designs.  Were it not for the expense associated with building through Club Champion, 150% of the retail price (shafts would have been Nippon Modus 125), these would be easy winners.  The black finish is special and really mask the offset well in the PTx Pro long iron.  If there becomes a more affordable way to get the Combo set with Nippon shafts, I’m all in.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

15 hours ago, mallrat said:

Can’t you go through them directly and cut out Club Champion? The one I have been to does a great job fitting but it is SOOOO expensive for them to build or order the clubs 

You can, but the shaft options are limited.  For us up here (Canada), we can't even get demos sent or heads only as I would rather rebuild a set of heads than pay for shafts I have no interest in trying to resell after the fact.  Ended up finding a set on the bay for 2/3's their price (used 2 rounds) and will rebuild.

• Like 1

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

^ They do look great.  Hope that finish holds up some.  Looking forward to my split set getting here on Friday (tho mine is chrome).  Then pull them apart and rebuild to try them out Saturday.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

Got my Icons out last night... I have to say, way more forgiving than they look.  It was a difference going from the Modus 105 to the S300, I wasn't puring everything but even still, these irons are really stable.  I did hit one REALLY poor 4i off the toe and that was pretty punishing.. expected.  Overall, though, I am really happy with these as the look alone is perfect and the black finish seems to have really held up after one round.  I don't think I would have been unhappy with the chrome heads, though.... such a classic looking iron.  I will get them out on a different course tomorrow and see if I can dial them in a little more.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* HZRDUS blue PVD 60s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

Ping i230 5-P  KBS CTL 115

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless custom 34"

After a few more rounds with these things, I have to say, I am a big fan. I feel like I've gotten used to the X100s again, and I'm finding that I'm hitting them pretty well. I've hit some really good long iron shots on par 3s my last few rounds, and I'm getting comfortable with how far each iron goes, and being able to have my 62 degree wedge in the bag all the time has been a good change, too. 

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I may have been getting lucky with the 4i early on... been missing that thing ever since and it is not all that forgiving...LOL  I wish Hogan would let you purchase single irons, I would grab a PTX Pro 4i.  Instead I bought a UiHi 22* with the Recoil shaft to try out.  Other than that, I am liking the S300 in these and finding the rest of the set forgiving enough to shoot some good scores.  Combo set might have been more realistic but the Icon 6 and 7 iron I love... Gimme a combo set with the 4 an 5 irons in PTx Pro only, the rest Icons, and now we have perfection!   Still very happy I made the purchase overall.

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

11 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

I may have been getting lucky with the 4i early on... been missing that thing ever since and it is not all that forgiving...LOL  I wish Hogan would let you purchase single irons, I would grab a PTX Pro 4i.  Instead I bought a UiHi 22* with the Recoil shaft to try out.  Other than that, I am liking the S300 in these and finding the rest of the set forgiving enough to shoot some good scores.  Combo set might have been more realistic but the Icon 6 and 7 iron I love... Gimme a combo set with the 4 an 5 irons in PTx Pro only, the rest Icons, and now we have perfection!   Still very happy I made the purchase overall.

Dang man the 4 iron is my favorite club.  It’s pure when you put a good swing on it, but I’ve missed a few too so I know what you mean.  I’ve been hitting the 4 iron about 220-230 pretty consistently,   I think I hit this every bit as far as the 18 degree UiHi and way more accurate.  In fact, I’ve noticed a pretty big gap between the 4 and 5 irons.  I’m not sure if it’s the loft gap, or the fact that I’m a high ball hitter and the 4 iron keeps it down enough to maximize distance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, werpennstate23 said:

Dang man the 4 iron is my favorite club.  It’s pure when you put a good swing on it, but I’ve missed a few too so I know what you mean.  I’ve been hitting the 4 iron about 220-230 pretty consistently,   I think I hit this every bit as far as the 18 degree UiHi and way more accurate.  In fact, I’ve noticed a pretty big gap between the 4 and 5 irons.  I’m not sure if it’s the loft gap, or the fact that I’m a high ball hitter and the 4 iron keeps it down enough to maximize distance.

Was weird, when I first got them, I loved the 4i, too.  But the last couple rounds I have been horrid with it.  It could be that it plays longer than other standard 4 irons I have gamed in the past but catching it off the toe has been a little punishing.  I will keep working with it until the UiHi shows.  I love the looks of these Icons and overall, they have shown some surprising forgiveness for a compact blade.  My scores arent being affected really so it may just all be part of the learning curve!

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

6 rounds in now and I am LOVING these Icons!!!  I have figured out the 4 iron as well... it's almost a full inch longer than my previous set 4i while the other Icons are stock length... choking down has made a world of difference.  They are long, accurate and feel amazing... I still can't believe they are blades sometimes.  I placed an order for a UiHi but I am thinking of cancelling it...  Great irons!!

Edited by Nixhex524
  • Like 1

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

4 minutes ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

I'm fully on board, too -- I came this close to my 3rd ace this morning with a 6 iron from 208 (a bit downhill and downwind). I've been really impressed at how easy the 4-6 irons are to hit.

IMG_0551.jpg

Can't help but wonder if aeration kept it out....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

38 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Can't help but wonder if aeration kept it out....

I'm not sure why the picture looks like they were aerated like that. They had punched a smaller gauge of holes than a full-blown aeration that they'd do later in the year, but the greens were fine, and I didn't see any issue with how the ball was rolling because of them. I just need to wear out the grooves a little bit to get that extra 2 inches of roll.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

35 minutes ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

I'm not sure why the picture looks like they were aerated like that. They had punched a smaller gauge of holes than a full-blown aeration that they'd do later in the year, but the greens were fine, and I didn't see any issue with how the ball was rolling because of them. I just need to wear out the grooves a little bit to get that extra 2 inches of roll.

Just need those greens to dry out a bit.  Look at that crater you left.  LOL 

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

4 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Just need those greens to dry out a bit.  Look at that crater you left.  LOL 

Yeah, we'd had a pretty dry summer up until a few weeks ago, but we've gotten a couple of pretty heavy rainfalls over the past couple of weeks. About a month ago, it would have probably gotten that extra revolution (though it would have airmailed the green by 10 yards because it would have been 20 degrees warmer, so ?‍♂️

• Like 1

So I tried the demo with kbs 90s. My first time to try a blade. After trying it, my iron suddenly looks too big and chunky. Anyway, the iron feels so nice and not too difficult to hit. Small footprint makes me focus a bit more and I hit it very well. I like it very much but i still think i would appreciate more forgiveness. maybe i should try ptx pros.. 

14 hours ago, sociojeje said:

So I tried the demo with kbs 90s. My first time to try a blade. After trying it, my iron suddenly looks too big and chunky. Anyway, the iron feels so nice and not too difficult to hit. Small footprint makes me focus a bit more and I hit it very well. I like it very much but i still think i would appreciate more forgiveness. maybe i should try ptx pros.. 

I would recommend demoing the PTx Pros also... I didn't think they were much more forgiving than the Icons, maybe a little bit and they definitely look chunkier, not so much bigger, but chunkier, with more offset.  Really nice looking but I much prefer the look of the Icon.  There have been a few of the previous generation PTx Pros popping up on ebay, might also be worth a look.

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

• 2 months later...

As it has gotten later in the fall, and I'm not playing or practicing regularly, I'm really finding that I'm not liking the X100s. They seem to have less room for error than other shafts I've used, and I need to be swinging really well for me to get much out of them. I still like the Icon heads, but I'm planning to switch out the shafts over the winter -- I have a set of Modus 125 ready to go into them. I also took my Scratch SB-1s in to have the lofts adjusted so that I can have similar loft gaps to the Icons (a degree weaker, though), and I'll either be switching back to those, using the reshafted Icons, or some combination of the two.

44 minutes ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

As it has gotten later in the fall, and I'm not playing or practicing regularly, I'm really finding that I'm not liking the X100s. They seem to have less room for error than other shafts I've used, and I need to be swinging really well for me to get much out of them. I still like the Icon heads, but I'm planning to switch out the shafts over the winter -- I have a set of Modus 125 ready to go into them. I also took my Scratch SB-1s in to have the lofts adjusted so that I can have similar loft gaps to the Icons (a degree weaker, though), and I'll either be switching back to those, using the reshafted Icons, or some combination of the two.

+1 for the Nippon Modus shaft.  The 125s should be a terrific combination with the Icons.  I play the Modus 120s in my set and love the feel and performance.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

47 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

+1 for the Nippon Modus shaft.  The 125s should be a terrific combination with the Icons.  I play the Modus 120s in my set and love the feel and performance.

I play Modus 120x in my Scratch irons, and I've been wanting to try the 125, so that's what I got with the idea that I'll put them in the Icons. I will probably try it out with just one club to start, because I've never tried the 125, and I don't want to build a whole set only to find out that I hate the shaft. I think the 125 should be a profile that will work well for me, but it seems like it would still be a good idea to confirm, before I put too much work into building the whole set.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

I play Modus 120x in my Scratch irons, and I've been wanting to try the 125, so that's what I got with the idea that I'll put them in the Icons. I will probably try it out with just one club to start, because I've never tried the 125, and I don't want to build a whole set only to find out that I hate the shaft. I think the 125 should be a profile that will work well for me, but it seems like it would still be a good idea to confirm, before I put too much work into building the whole set.

I have read that the 125s are similar to the DG X100s.  What I like about the 120s is that I don't feel the need to unnaturally generate torque to load the shaft.  I am older so I want a smooth swinging steel shaft and the 120s definitely offer that.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

On 11/19/2020 at 7:17 PM, davo32683 said:

Anyone able to share a PW address pic?

Here's a shot of the PW vs my 718 cb PW...

20201123_135107.jpg

20201123_135051.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115