How much does it matter which irons I buy?

Guest Jackvliet

Hello all, I'm brand new here. I am looking to get fitted for a new set of irons. I really like the looks and idea of blades, but I am a high handicap player and that points me to game improvement irons. Currently I hit a Ray Cook set that came with every club you need, and was about 200 bucks new. So I feel like getting higher quality clubs will be helpful no matter what they are.

If it helps at all I'm 24 years old, about 6 feet tall. Hit my 8 iron about 170 yards.

Will I be okay getting a set of blades like the Titleist 620 MB? Or should I really look or some more forgiving cavity back irons?

Thanks for any advice!

Will also be upgrading my driver and wood, but after I get irons.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things to consider:

Irons that fit your gameIrons that you likeIf you hit your 8i 170 yards, you have some power in your swing. So, game improvement clubs would be a good choice, since you have the clubhead speed to help get the ball launched. But if your are "high HDCP" - please tell us how high - stay away from blades/Players clubs.

All the major manufacturers make great equipment these days. You just need to find clubs that you like, and that fit your game. Besides the heads, there's the shafts. You want a head + shaft combination that gives you a balance of distance and control.

By clubs you like, this comes into play in initial sorting and final choice. Let's say you have Trackman performance data that's a virtual tie between Titleist X iron and Callaway Y iron. You would go with the one that gives you the most confidence when standing over the ball. If you don't like and trust your irons, they won't work very well for you.

A caution on blades. They have payoff performance for those with a precise swing, assuming they have enough time to work on their game to keep their swing precise. But, they are very unforgiving on days when your swing is off. I have met former college players who once played scratch golf with blades. Ten years later, they play GI irons because they don't have time to keep their swings "blade ready." But, they make a lot of pars because the GIs get them close enough to score well.

Basic rule from a former golf instructor of mine: Get clubs for the swing you have today, not the one you hope to have next year.

P.S. Be sure to get fitted. Also, a tune-up lesson can help you locate any swing flaws before you get fitted for new irons.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Thank you very much, and my handicap is around 18. I'll definitely take your advice and go to a good pro shop, get fitted and see what works the best for me. I should really put some money towards lessons on putting and driving, as that is where I mess up. Reason I'm looking at new irons is that is by far the best part of my game, so wanted to get decent ones.

Thanks again, couldn't have asked for a better answer.

Go with irons, and then -as you say - get a good driver. Lessons + fitted No. 1 wood will get you fairway + distance.

Short game definitely important - a bad short game will keep you from scoring.

BUT - good iron shots from the fairway will get you in there for two-putt pars - or chance for up-and-down par or a bogie.

Fairway drive + decent iron shots = progress!

Sounds like you're on right track!

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

Ψ  Backups:

Go with blades, you'll get use to them. Never heard of Ray Cook clubs, are they from Walmart or Big 5? Don't waste your money on putting lessons.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond S  8.5* (Tensei 1k Pro Blue)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 3W (Tensei 1k Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 5W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 7W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Irons: PXG 0317T Xtreme Dark 5-PW (Dynamic Gold120 X100)

Wedge: Titleist SM9 48*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 54*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice

Ray Cook has been making good-value putters and wedges for years. Got to see the Ray Cook booth and talk to his people at 2016 PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando.

image.pngAlternate opinion: Putting and short-game lessons ever so often are useful.

Ψ  Backups:

Yeah that’s a joke, he’s just taking a poke at the “qualifications” seen as needed to play a blade

Driver: Sim 10.5 WB 73 TX
3w: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15/BRNR Mini Diamana D+Plus 80TX

5w: Paradym AI Smoke 18 Tensei Pro White 1k 90 TX
4i: Srixon ZX Mk II AD IZ 95x

5i: Srixon U85 Oban CT 125x

6-PW: Miura TC-201 Oban CT 125x

50/54/59: Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG S400

Putter: Jailbird 380 WH

I’m a 8 handicap and played blades for many years. They’re not for everyone. Even I still love the look of them, I don’t think I’ll ever play another set of them. There are many clubs with blade-like qualities that are cavity backs that offer more forgiveness. If you’re an 18 handicap, blades don’t make much sense. Blades are made for players who like to work the ball and are pure ball strikers. The sweet spot is dime sized and the club has very little offset. Anything not struck pure and you’re not only going to hit it left or right, but also lose plenty of distance. Not exactly ideal if you’re looking to play better. If you like the aesthetics of a blade, there are options without going to a pure blade. Mizuno HMB is a great feeling set. Wilson FG Tour V6 is another set. If you’re going to spend the money, then I suggest you get fitted. A golf fitter can get you into the best clubs and shafts to help optimize your game.

Well there's a first, never seen much less heard of them and I've been golfing for 20+ years. Are they an East Coast thing? Never seen them in Cal or Co. But OP said he had a full bag of Ray Cook clubs.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond S  8.5* (Tensei 1k Pro Blue)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 3W (Tensei 1k Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 5W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 7W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Irons: PXG 0317T Xtreme Dark 5-PW (Dynamic Gold120 X100)

Wedge: Titleist SM9 48*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 54*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice

I've seen their wedges and putters for... like forever. This thread, however, is the first I have heard of their boxed sets.

RockBottom Golf evidently carries the boxed sets.

Ψ  Backups:

A word of caution on the blades vs non-blade responses... both sides of that fight are passionate about what they believe and they've been arguing with each other for years.

You are going to get fit, so try some blades while you are in there... if you like a certain profile, tell the fitter what you like and hopefully he can find something that suits your eye and your swing.... Just make sure to get something you are comfortable swinging! Make sure you try different shaft options, but if you have a good fitter, he should be able to find what's right for you.

Let us know what you get!

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Titleist 716cb 718cb

Ap2 716 or 718

Ping G series 25/30

Mizuno MP64 or 59

all popular great value used clubs....

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

When you say you hit your 8 iron 170y, are you talking about total distance on the driving range? Or how far the ball carries in the air before landing? And how often do you hit that number? In other words, if you had to hit the ball 170y over a water hazard, would you pull 8 iron or something else? When you’re using distances on the golf course, it’s most important to know your carry numbers with the ball you play. (Ok, it’s also important to play the same ball all the time) If you don’t already have one, invest in a laser range finder, gps device, or phone app that gives you distances on the course.

Another elephant in the room: we don’t know anything about the specs of the Ray Cook full set. Let’s assume it’s a 34-35° oversized cast cavity back 8 iron with “a huge sweet spot.” Cheaply made irons of this type have hot spots, making distance control a real challenge. A higher quality iron set should reduce or eliminate this problem. Most of us also have an inconsistent strike pattern, so a good fit for irons should first and foremost look to help you hit the middle of the face more consistently. If you don’t know or can’t tell where you’re missing, get some impact stickers & hit the range. Good luck!

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

Jbrunk, if I'm trying to get the ball to sit on a 170-175 yard par 3, I'll grab the 8 iron. It carrys about 170. That's very consistent for me as well as hitting it straight. I am not sure what the club angles are, but on this set they definitely look stronger than my old set I used to use. My current pitching wedge looks like my old 9 iron etc.

I've been going back and forth between the pro V1, TP5, and chrome soft for balls.

I realize agree posting this that saying I'm a high handicap player and asking about which clubs doesnt make sense if I dont say what im good at and where I add up a lot of strokes.

I'll add to this thread when I get fitted and what I go with. Thinking my first agenda will be getting a putter I like and some putting practice/lessons.

The way I see it, if you are playing against me I want you in a set of blades. If your on my team I would want you in a set of ping i210 or some similar set.

180 8 irons really speak to some promise, with a few lessons you’ll be dangerous to your opponent’s wallets.

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

One of the reasons to get fit would be that the G410 irons could be the best fit right now. But maybe AP2 or Ping i210 would be a better fit. That's why the OP needs to hit a few different models to determine what works, and what he wants to look at.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I you can hit the sweet spot on a set of blades 90% of the time then go right ahead, but since you are a "high" handicap, then GI or SGI should be best for you. Either way, get rid of the boxed set of clubs as they will fall apart on you after a few years. A good quality set from a major OEM will last you a lifetime, especially if the irons are cast.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."