2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

2 minutes ago, Hilts1969 said:

Stuck in the house at the moment stills from my v1 app with a foam ball would be the best I could do. I know what I’m trying to do just can’t get it. 

If you feel like your arms are outracing your pivot then there's definitely something going on. Hit something and get your swing up however you can. It'll probably be obvious. Oh, and we've all felt like giving up during swing changes at some point. Hang in there. 

15 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

If you feel like your arms are outracing your pivot then there's definitely something going on. Hit something and get your swing up however you can. It'll probably be obvious. Oh, and we've all felt like giving up during swing changes at some point. Hang in there. 

Here you go the first lot are thinking about the arms/wrist 

Screenshot_20210202-125826.png

Screenshot_20210202-125843.png

Screenshot_20210202-125903.png

Screenshot_20210202-125916.png

21 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

What do you see that's different? The biggest difference I see is your tush line. 

Quite a bit of subtle differences 

no early extension I agree 

I have more frames to look at but I didn't want to completely bore you:-)

more chest flexion

head lower 

p6 better club position close to hands, first swing club below forearm and clubhead covering leg

impact first one is almost back to a set up position 

Bit more hip turn at impact.

hard to see but the in the second picture left arm just below shoulder line I look more on my left side 

the first one my body doesn’t really react I’m not super steep but probably too narrow the club head just drops down and I just use my arms to get to the ball.

Edited by Hilts1969

6 minutes ago, Hilts1969 said:

Quite a bit of subtle differences 

no early extension I agree 

I have more frames to look at 

more chest flexion

head lower 

p6 better club position close to hands, first swing club below forearm and clubhead covering leg

impact first one is almost back to a set up position 

Bit more hip turn at impact.

hard to see but the in the second picture left arm just below shoulder line I look more on my left side 

the first one my body doesn’t really react I’m not super steep but probably too narrow the club head just drops down and I just use my arms to get to the ball.

The reason I highlighted the EE over anything else is that I think the reason you're struggling with the NTC move is because you're not doing the transitional shift correctly, and from there it's really hard to recover. It may be that thinking about your pivot is having you fall better down into your left side. I think that if you worked on the bump everything would change. 

2 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

The reason I highlighted the EE over anything else is that I think the reason you're struggling with the NTC move is because you're not doing the transitional shift correctly, and from there it's really hard to recover. It may be that thinking about your pivot is having you fall better down into your left side. I think that if you worked on the bump everything would change. 

Yeah it's an upper body move that is hard to see that forces me quite strongly on to my left foot. I was flexing my knee and trying to keep my shoulders closed but then just used my arms. 

One good thing the cast A practice has helped because the pivot forces me to do it without thinking how.

My arms react to the pivot not vice versa. If I can do it at speed will be the question it's uncomfortable for sure.

• Like 1

Anyone having great success getting more shallow with the longer clubs but still coming in too steep with the wedges?

Driving me nuts right now...striping Driver best I ever have, but hitting too many mediocre wedge shots around 80-100 yards which come in too steep.  Maybe all that 7 to 8 to bump to cast A to cast B is just too much going on for a short shot. 

29 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

Anyone having great success getting more shallow with the longer clubs but still coming in too steep with the wedges?

Driving me nuts right now...striping Driver best I ever have, but hitting too many mediocre wedge shots around 80-100 yards which come in too steep.  Maybe all that 7 to 8 to bump to cast A to cast B is just too much going on for a short shot. 

Shots of that length you just need cast B. 

4 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

Pretty much the same, not going for full swing, just past left arm parallel.

When you say mediocre do you mean contact, direction or both. Being a bit steep was never a problem with wedges for me best part of my game. A bit of a pull sometimes when I needed to force one. I just favour my left foot keep the right arm moving and make sure my right shoulder finishes past the ball(feeling)

Direction is ok, tendency is to come in steep, almost as if my head is getting too much in front of the ball, which tells me I am not shallowing enough...divot tells me that too.  So ball is riding up the face a bit and launching too high, lose some distance.

With the longer clubs it seems I have the time to do that bump with back still to target setting me up for a nice shallow move.

2 hours ago, CasualLie said:

Check the width of your swing. A wider right (trail arm for me) arm will shallow out your wedge swing, I've learned. Cast moves with a wider trail arm...BOOM great shots.

I have a tendency of getting steep as well and usually work it out by getting wide with the right arm (trail arm for me).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CasualLie said:

Interesting...you mean from the top, just throw out like you are purposely trying to come over the top?

Not at all. Cast b isn't OTT. Anything from LAP or just past there isn't time for both casts. Try it - you'll be bang on plain and will shallow out beautifully. 

I've always struggled with an inside takeaway but manage to get the club back in good position and my game is pretty solid...but... As I get older, the more I grind with my "old' swing, I've noticed my body getting sore when I play a few days in a row. I've messed with the NTC and the swing feels freer and less grind on the bones. Anyone else who drags it back inside notice this? I'm contemplating getting this video and any feedback is appreciated. 

On 2/2/2021 at 8:19 PM, CasualLie said:

I'll give that a try!  Like the idea of a different feel just to shake it up.  Thanks!

Cas, watch this video from Jake Hutt and I think his thoughts on this will help you with your short irons and wedges. Good Luck

My apology about the link. I just can't get the video to attach directly.

www.instagram.com:p:CEun_tinxfx.webloc

Edited by nitram

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Azinger on Fowler:  needs to throw that clubhead to get it more in front of him, can’t hold that angle and drag hands through impact. Counter intuitive to what we’ve all been taught but that’s what he needs to do. 

Not sure I’ve ever heard that during a golf broadcast. 

Progress?

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 2

Had an opportunity to find two photos I wanted to post on this topic.  I'm amazed at how trying to learn from static photos can be so misleading.  The second photo is from a well-respected instructional book that advocates for teaching positions and actions implied by the static position in the first photo.  And, the author of that instructional goes on to say how the poor schmuck in the second photo still managed to hit the ball 160 yards!

Who would have thought that "feeling the swing" based on the image of the second photo, would get us looking closer like the guy in the first?  And, that trying to copy the guy's position in the first photo would get us swinging more like the guy in photo #2?

Edit:  Posted in honor of 53 year-old Steve Stricker, currently T2 at the Waste Management in PHX.  Strick has been the poster child for anti-lag, even though he, apparently, has more than enough to still keep up on the flat-belly tour! 

image.png.5652067e5a525ebe565767ab6455cff9.png

image.png.724becb8ab2aca773f2c230f56f6fe85.png

Edited by games
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, games said:

Had an opportunity to find two photos I wanted to post on this topic.  I'm amazed at how trying to learn from static photos can be so misleading.  The second photo is from a well-respected instructional book that advocates for teaching positions and actions implied by the static position in the first photo.  And, the author of that instructional goes on to say how the poor schmuck in the second photo still managed to hit the ball 160 yards!

Who would have thought that "feeling the swing" based on the image of the second photo, would get us looking closer like the guy in the first?  And, that trying to copy the guy's position in the first photo would get us swinging more like the guy in photo #2?

Edit:  Posted in honor of 53 year-old Steve Stricker, currently T2 at the Waste Management in PHX.  Strick has been the poster child for anti-lag, even though he, apparently, has more than enough to still keep up on the flat-belly tour! 

image.png.5652067e5a525ebe565767ab6455cff9.png

image.png.724becb8ab2aca773f2c230f56f6fe85.png

It was a big "aha" moment when I first read about the effect the camera was having vs. what some were actually advocating and trying to claim with pics like photo 2.  Based on the number of times over 10+ years (nothing lately, though) I'd see someone make a claim about it without knowing the cause, it must have been deep in some of the considered "wisdom".  

Man I wish I knew (and I had an instructor that knew) a lot of what is known now when I was about 13 years old, and especially about 17 when I could finally walk and eat a coney dog at the same time.

• Haha 1

Hey guys, I have a question about the back swing here. My tendency is to hit a lot of overdraw/hooks. Monte's drill showing the wrist position in the backswing has me feeling like I'm turning the club face toward the ground during my takeaway. When I do this my shots miraculously end up being much straighter than usual. My issue is that I feel like it's putting stress on my forearms and elbows and has led to some pain. I stopped doing this after letting my elbows rest for a few weeks and the pain hasn't returned. I tried it again last night and I already feel a little soreness. Anybody else experience this or can suggest what I'm doing wrong?

48 minutes ago, Linkkingx said:

Hey guys, I have a question about the back swing here. My tendency is to hit a lot of overdraw/hooks. Monte's drill showing the wrist position in the backswing has me feeling like I'm turning the club face toward the ground during my takeaway. When I do this my shots miraculously end up being much straighter than usual. My issue is that I feel like it's putting stress on my forearms and elbows and has led to some pain. I stopped doing this after letting my elbows rest for a few weeks and the pain hasn't returned. I tried it again last night and I already feel a little soreness. Anybody else experience this or can suggest what I'm doing wrong?

Can you post a video?

47 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Can you post a video?

Unfortunately not at the moment. My house is under construction so I have no place to hit right now since there's snow on the ground. Played last night at my brother's house on his sim, but I don't have a chance to get there very often. My issues arose this past summer and fall when I was working on this.  I stopped late fall because of elbow issues and have since been able to play and practice a few times with no pain whatsoever by not trying this move. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but the results are good. I played off a 7 handicap for most of the year just for reference. I'm sure an actual lesson with Monte can clear things up pretty quickly. I guess I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced this.

2 minutes ago, Linkkingx said:

Unfortunately not at the moment. My house is under construction so I have no place to hit right now since there's snow on the ground. Played last night at my brother's house on his sim, but I don't have a chance to get there very often. My issues arose this past summer and fall when I was working on this.  I stopped late fall because of elbow issues and have since been able to play and practice a few times with no pain whatsoever by not trying this move. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but the results are good. I played off a 7 handicap for most of the year just for reference. I'm sure an actual lesson with Monte can clear things up pretty quickly. I guess I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced this.

Do you have full range of motion in your wrists without issues?

I have been doing a lot of rehearsals and continuing to work on things, I think at this point nailing the transition move is what will really help me. But my tendency in the past is for my arms to disconnect from my turn. I have had great success working with the smart ball and I know Monte has referenced this or something similar for my exact issue. My question is how do you square the use of that with a 'no-turn' concept for the initial part of the backswing. This is probably related to my depth questions as well. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x