Cold weather golf

Chazb

At your age NO one should question what temps you want to play in. 

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Chilly for us on the west coast is anything less that 60 degrees,  haaaa haaaa haaa. On those chilly days, a buddy of mine came up with a cool idea for mits. He had a couple of extra head covers that he threw some hand warmers in and sure enough, it did the job. Pretty smart move. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

• 4 weeks later...

Coldest and one of the most fun rounds for me was in the beginning of December, when I played a three man scramble with a teaching pro and a another guy who had played the local tour regularly. The temperature was between 1 and 2 degrees celcius (35 fahrenheit), thank god it wasn’t windy that day and the course wasn’t yet totally wet. Some icy puddles on fairways but nothing to stop or prevent us playing. We shot 59 that day and won the scratch competition.🤣 Bombing drivers on all par 4’s and 5’s as at least one of three balls would always be in play.😄 Was a fun round, going for it with every shot and without pressure as team’s success didn’t rely on my consistency for once.

My takeaways for playing golf in a cold temperature: Warm beanie, layered clothing, long johns and wintersoft golf gloves are a must.👍🏻 Thermos bottle in the bag full of hot drink that will remain its temperature during the whole round is a game changer!💪🏻 Positive attitude and adventurous spirit helps a lot too. Never mind the bad shots, it is great to be able just to enjoy playing golf outside this time of the year. I live in Scandinavia, so better to take the weather as it is and enjoy the positive things! 

Edited by SamboRoll

Coldest rounds I played this season were between 0 C to -4 (32 to 25 F)...has less to do with a man card than a desperation to play card (or insanity), Lol!! Wish I could get one of those rounds in right now though...2 feet of snow on the ground and my last round was November 29th! 

FA25EA88-B6DC-45C6-BAA9-AA8822DB329C.jpeg

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

is it unusual for a course to close for the winter? December - early March? 

is this to take care of the grass/fairways/greens or is closing just giving the staff a break from showing up at course. 

as a member i'm more than willing to play at 40 degrees but can't because the course is closed and enforces no play. 

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Seen the forecast, going to 45*F so off we go. Got there (Western Hills, Hopkinsville, Ky,) and it is 37* F, and cloudy with mists as well. I have the mitts, and stuck warmers in them to help. After a few holes it did get better because it was cart path only, and the walking warmed us up some. The high at the end was 41, a real warm spell, not. I am rather surprised at how well I did in this cold weather, as we did the modified tee box swap, playing the whites where appropriate, and going to the senior tees when needed. We used the senior tees less than we thought we would. The ground was a mess, nothing but mud below, so I had to take two extra clubs for every shot, and they still came up short, but we both were going to play regardless. I am sore from the extra clothing. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

16 hours ago, FairwaysToHeaven said:

is it unusual for a course to close for the winter? December - early March? 

is this to take care of the grass/fairways/greens or is closing just giving the staff a break from showing up at course. 

as a member i'm more than willing to play at 40 degrees but can't because the course is closed and enforces no play. 

Guess it depends where you’re located? Where we are in the Toronto Area most courses closed in early to mid November and won’t re-open until it warms up in April/May. I would imagine it’s the same in cold-weather states in the U.S. and in Europe etc, but not sure how it would be in some of the borderline warm states that don’t get snow but might still be chilly?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Today was perfect. 44, overcast but still light. No rain, mild wind and not another person on the course.

PXL_20210103_193024748.jpg

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 1/3/2021 at 10:16 PM, lefthack said:

Today was perfect. 44, overcast but still light. No rain, mild wind and not another person on the course.

PXL_20210103_193024748.jpg

😍😍 Very jelly, Lol!! Was shovelling snow for an hour this morning and the snow banks are almost 6 ft high here!!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

• 4 weeks later...

It was 48*F today, but the sun was on full blast and felt so good. I over dressed expecting the worse, and started pulling off clothes. I decided to try thermal pants, and the legs were never cold at all. So when the forecast is 50's or lower, the thermal pants go on. I had a wool shirt underneath, and a down vest as well. I pulled the puffer jacker off once I warmed up. Never was cold at all!

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

9 minutes ago, platgof said:

It was 48*F today, but the sun was on full blast and felt so good. I over dressed expecting the worse, and started pulling off clothes. I decided to try thermal pants, and the legs were never cold at all. So when the forecast is 50's or lower, the thermal pants go on. I had a wool shirt underneath, and a down vest as well. I pulled the puffer jacker off once I warmed up. Never was cold at all!

Don't know where you are, but 48 around here this time of year (South-Central PA) would see packed courses.  I don't use the thermals until it gets into the mid 30s.  The last time I was able to golf (too much snow now), my buddy and I were discussing just how cold would be too cold, as it was in the mid 30s and neither of us were feeling cold at all.  We determined we could easily do below freezing with no wind - only problem with that is frozen greens, which make it a lot less fun to us, so we concluded mid-30s in sun was about our low limit. 

It's been low 30's here. It's more getting to the club as the road gets sketchy and if there is anything backing stuff up, there isn't a way around.

But thermals and a hoodie, any more and my swing is affected and playing isn't as enjoyable.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Modern fabrics make soooo much difference compared to thirty years ago. 

When it’s cold I wear a pair of FootJoy rain gloves. Today my base layer of Nike Pro Combat top and bottom, then thick khakis and a long-sleeve golf shirt was just about perfect. I also wore a vest for much of the round but mostly for the pockets. 

Great round of 44-47* sunny skies with calm wind and I was comfy throughout.

Now of the wind gets up, that’s another conversation. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

20 hours ago, me05501 said:

When it’s cold I wear a pair of FootJoy rain gloves. Today my base layer of Nike Pro Combat top and bottom, then thick khakis and a long-sleeve golf shirt was just about perfect. I also wore a vest for much of the round but mostly for the pockets. 

I find the puff jackets are the ticket. They are light and very flexible. I put on a down vest and puff jacket, combined with thermal pants, totally unreal. I did have a wool under garment on as well, itchy!

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 12/3/2020 at 11:09 AM, gripandrip said:

This. When the temperature drops it is all about sun and wind. A balmy 34 deg (F) day is fine if sunny and minimal wind, but 44 with no sun and 10-15 mph is pretty rough. I play in the 30's quite a bit, but you definitely need the right conditions.

+1 ^^^ Im in my 50's and in order to play year round in VA you need to make some adjustments.  I can't say I enjoy playing in cold weather (30's and below), but with the right equipment it's actually doable.  We have had a few days where it has been windy, cloudy, and in the low 30's, but with a golf cart cover, heater, and hand warmers it was rather pleasant.  The cart cover/heater makes all the difference.  My gear consists of the following....

Doorworks Cart Cover - https://acegolfcartcovers.com/products/champion-four-sided-throwovers?variant=15387216379997 <-- absolutly love this cover.  Very easy to put on and off and actually stores back in the bag it came in.  

Mr Heater - https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH4GC-Golf-Cart/dp/B011TRLWH2 <-- is ok but it is very sensitive on bumpy terraine and has a tendency to turn itself off.  That said, if you go this route get one of these expandable cup holders - - - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PMHPJJF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - - - as the cup holder that comes with it is useless and will fall out.    

G-Tech Heated Pouch (hand warmer) - https://gtechapparel.com/collections/heated-pouches/products/heated-pouch-stealth-2-0-x-military-grade <-- really like this and lasts the entire round and carry extra battery just in case.

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

My last round was on November 3rd, so 3 months without golf. At least another month or so to go, I don't play unless it's at least 55* when I tee off & it must be sunny with little wind. I work weekends as a starter at a very busy 36 hole facility & we don't close unless snow covered. The last Saturday that I worked it was 15* with a wind chill of 8* & over 50 golfers played that day. none of them looked liked they enjoying themselves, I just don't get the necessity to go to the golf course no matter what the weather, I don't get the addiction.

On 2/5/2021 at 10:30 AM, mesquite2 said:

My last round was on November 3rd, so 3 months without golf. At least another month or so to go, I don't play unless it's at least 55* when I tee off & it must be sunny with little wind. I work weekends as a starter at a very busy 36 hole facility & we don't close unless snow covered. The last Saturday that I worked it was 15* with a wind chill of 8* & over 50 golfers played that day. none of them looked liked they enjoying themselves, I just don't get the necessity to go to the golf course no matter what the weather, I don't get the addiction.

My last 2 rounds were November 25th & 29th with temperatures in the 25 F range. I think a lot of us try to squeeze as many rounds in as possible before the snow falls because we know it’s going to be a long winter.

For me I much prefer playing on a real course than going to a simulator or indoor driving range, so I’ll play in pretty much any conditions as long as the course isn’t covered in snow.

Only problem I saw was that the fairways and greens were rock-hard, and the ground was so frozen in some Tee boxes that regular wood Tees were breaking while trying to put them in. Wish I could get some of those rounds in now though since we have 2 feet of snow on the ground! 🥶

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 2/3/2021 at 9:36 PM, me05501 said:

Totally agree!  The base layers are amazing and the lack of bulk in the outer layers keep one flexible and warm!  Fun to be able to golf in a wider range of conditions!  I have golfed while it was snowing and it was still quite comfortable!