TSi2 or TSi3 Drivers or Stick With MAVRIK

jimb

A few weeks ago I bought a TSi2 15 degree fairway wood.  It has the Tensei AV Series 65g shaft in it, in stiff.  I really like it.  I have read good things about the new Titleist TSi series drivers.  Swing speed is mid 90s.  Right now I play the Mavrik in a 10.5 set at -1 and hit it high and relatively flat in trajectory.  I am a good ball striker.  Should I be looking at TSi2 or 3 or should I just stick with the Mavrik?  Has anyone tried those two Titleist models with a similar swing speed to mine and have an opinion on which performed best for them?

Nobody on this forum could possibly answer whether you would hit a Mavrick or a TSI better.  There are a million facilities everywhere with some sort of launch monitor and racks of demo clubs. 

It is incredibly unlikely someone with a swing speed that low could see a difference between the 2 and 3.  But the only way to find out is go hit them.

We can absolutely help on conceptual questions, or strategy questions, or experience.  But come on man, you need to just go hit a TSI next to your gamer and find out.

• Like 2

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

9 minutes ago, pinestreetgolf said:

Nobody on this forum could possibly answer whether you would hit a Mavrick or a TSI better.  There are a million facilities everywhere with some sort of launch monitor and racks of demo clubs. 

It is incredibly unlikely someone with a swing speed that low could see a difference between the 2 and 3.  But the only way to find out is go hit them.

We can absolutely help on conceptual questions, or strategy questions, or experience.  But come on man, you need to just go hit a TSI next to your gamer and find out.

I vaguely disagree... the tsi might go further but really it comes down to whether or not you’ve optimized launch conditions with your current club...

if you’ve maximized distance with the current setup (and few have), you won’t see much gain... positive aoa, correct spin numbers and finding the center of the face... 

if you haven’t, sure a new driver might be better.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

1 hour ago, Myherobobhope said:

I vaguely disagree... the tsi might go further but really it comes down to whether or not you’ve optimized launch conditions with your current club...

if you’ve maximized distance with the current setup (and few have), you won’t see much gain... positive aoa, correct spin numbers and finding the center of the face... 

I have been on a launch monitor at the PGATSS with driver.  Some of the numbers just don't make sense to me.  I am a pretty consistent ball striker, but the numbers they are telling me are just unrealistic.  I am between 95 and 100 mph with a driver.  Charts I have seen have me carrying a driver with a solid center strike about 230 yards.  They are telling me I am carrying it close to 250 yards.  Given my ball flight I am fairly certain I have a positive angle of attach.  Anyhow, thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

Jimb, I may be of some help tomorrow night or Wednesday night.  We have similar swing speed.  This week when the weather stabilizes I’m going to the range with my Mavrk and TSi2 with a few different shafts and gather some data.  I've been playing the Mavrk all this year and it's been a great driver.  I'm 5 rounds into the TSi2 and so far the distance on my best hits has been similar.  But the off center hits is where the TSi2 has edged out Mavrk so far.  My miss tends to be towards the toe and with the TSi2 it costs me less yards than the Mavrk.

More to come...

• Like 2

On 12/13/2020 at 9:19 PM, jimb said:

I have been on a launch monitor at the PGATSS with driver.  Some of the numbers just don't make sense to me.  I am a pretty consistent ball striker, but the numbers they are telling me are just unrealistic.  I am between 95 and 100 mph with a driver.  Charts I have seen have me carrying a driver with a solid center strike about 230 yards.  They are telling me I am carrying it close to 250 yards.  Given my ball flight I am fairly certain I have a positive angle of attach.  Anyhow, thanks for the reply.

In general, many places have juiced launch monitors, which could explain the 8% difference in the PGATSS numbers you are seeing.  

I have tried many drivers over the last couple of years (Mavrik SZ, 410 LST, and TSi3) before finally settling on the TSi3.  The Mavrik SZ was long, looked/felt/sounded good, but I just couldn't seem to find as many fairways as I would have liked or was used to.  The 410 LST wasn't my fav looks wise (disliked the turbulators) and certainly wasn't the longest, but I found more fairways with it so it stayed.  Fast fwd to TSi3 and it was love at first strike!  I love the look, sound, feel and it finds the fairways as often as the 410 LST did so, I am sticking with it.   

Edited by Sons_of_Pitches
  • Like 1

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

Like stated above, no answer you get here will be truly enough to go by BUT... for the sake of your question I would recommend the TSi2.  I think both TSi drivers are somewhat low spin but I think the TSi3 would be beneficial for the faster guys who can put some spin on the driver.  I'm around 105 and found it to be a little on the TOO low spin side.  

That said.... if you are hitting the Mav well, I don't think you stand to gain much unless you just want to buy a new driver.... who here doesn't.  My experience with hitting the G400 Max well and then being fit into a TSi2, there isn't much to gain honestly and I am finding the Max to be much easier to hit in the fairway on a consistent basis.  I'll keep working with the TSi2 but theres something to be said for giving up a few yards to be in the fairway.

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Honestly, TSi isn't going to beat Mavrik on sheer ball speed. Callaway has ball speed figured out. Seeing you're hitting Mavrik standard and not sub zero the only way you are gaining distance is if you needed the extra spin of TSi to optimize your numbers. I hate to say it but buying a TSi won't give you 20 yards, or if you were fit for the Mavrik; any yards at all. Odds are fitted driver compared to fitted driver you'd lose yards with the Titleist.

I'm in the same boat as you(although other end of the spectrum). I want TSi for it's forgiveness and a touch more spin compared to the Mavrik SZ. That said if I could get a Triple Diamond for the same price as a TSi I wouldn't even look twice at the Titleist as gorgeous as it is.

Edited by jds101086
  • Like 2

Taylormade Stealth Plus 10.5 - Fujikura Evo II 665 X

Callaway Mavrik SZ 16.5* - Fujikura Speeder Evo V 757 X

4-PW Titleist CNCPT CP02 True Temper Monaco X

46, 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM9 Raw - True Temper Monaco X and S

Taylormade Spider Tour

I bought an unfit Mav with Rogue White off CPO a few months ago. I'm in the 95-100 range with SS. Took it to get fit against the TSis a few weeks ago. TSi3 with Ventus Blue actually spun more than the Mav but I got 10 yrds, 4 mph ball speed and better dispersion out of the TSi3. Might have just been the Ventus but didn't have one to put in my Mav. Ill probably switch but could also likely find a shaft to get me closer to those numbers with the Mav. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jimb said:

Short of getting nasty, which I am capable of being, I am asking for an opinion from people who have tried the TSi models and give me an opinion.  If you are not in the group I inquired of, then keep you opinion to yourself.  

OK, which do you think I'd hit better:

A 9* SIM with a Rogue Silver 125, stiff flex, 70 grams..... OR

A 10.5* Mavrik with a stock shaft, X flex, 55 grams?

Swing speed around 108.  I'll hang up and listen.

Nobody is trying to be disrespectful to you (nasty? its the internet lol) but we get all kinds on here, including the kind that thinks they can decide between two drivers by polling the audience, so to speak.  The best advice you will get on this issue (here or otherwise) is to just go hit both of them. 

Edited by pinestreetgolf
  • Like 4

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

14 minutes ago, jimb said:

Last time I checked, it is an open forum where members can participate by asking questions without getting arrogance from other members.  Like this arrogant remark in your first response:  "It is incredibly unlikely someone with a swing speed that low could see a difference between the 2 and 3."  I am guessing that remark isn't remotely true.  The TSi3 is a different head design than the TSi2 and produces a lower spin flight. 

My swing speed is in the range of the average male golfer.  At age 72 I can still hit an 8 iron with 145 yards of carry at sea level and consistently.  

I am not asking for someone to pick a driver for me.  I am asking for those members who have swing speeds similar to mine about their experiences with those two drivers.  The Mavrik is a nice driver, but I love the look of the new Titleist drivers.  I would certainly try them before buying.  

Now, since I have not hit the SIM or the Mavrik with the 55 gram X flex I wouldn't venture an opinion.  Now if someone were to ask has anyone hit the Mavrik 10.5 I would give them my experience.  I would say that when I picked up the Mavrik used for a great price it came with a 50g Riptide in a 5.5 flex and it spun too much and was a hook machine.  I would say that I have a Mavrik 10.5* head shafted with a Graphite Design AD XC in the SR flex that works great.  I would also say the head sounds better than the standard Epic Flash in the same loft and the Mavrik spins less for me.  I would not respond like you.  You can just ignore my posts in the future if I ask a general question of members.  

1. As you decrease in swing speed differences matter less and less.  That's physics.

2. Telling you that your thought process is wrong is a fine response. 

"Hey Guys, I'm going to buy something based on X and Y criteria.  Thoughts?"

"You shouldn't put much stock in that.  You should do Z instead."

isn't rude or arrogant.  Its reality.  Now, you might find reality annoying, and that's fine, but its certainly relevant to the topic at hand whether or not mid-90 swing speed players could possibly notice a difference between two near-identical drivers.

• Like 1

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I've been away from this forum for about 2 years but it's nice to see some things never change. PSG still being PSG lol. You're one of a kind pinestreetgolf 🙂

• Thanks 2

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve played 910 913 915 917 mostly d3 drivers and f3 fwys.  I did not like the ts3.

It was too big and no performance gain over my 917.  

Fast forward and I hit a couple buddies mavriks way longer. I go to get fit and the fitter has trouble. Asks what I’m after and I tell him the story. He asks, TSi?  No, not yet.  I hit the 3 so so. The tsi2 is at hot as the mavrik and more forgiving than any driver I’ve hit. I literally hit it across 1.5” -2” wide and it’s awesome. I hit 14 fairways for the first time in my life.  I put my 917 shaft in it. It’s 10 yards longer.

I’m about 97 SS. Hitting about 245 avg.  235 was my avg with 917d3 and about 10 fw per round.  I play red board stiff or blue regular and f3 recoils.  Certainly a moderate swinger. 

I have 816 hybrids and a 917f3 wood still. No differences with ts 2/3 worth trading up. 

the new driver is fantastic. Go for it!  

Edited by srksi
  • Like 1

Titleist tsi2 10 tensei blue raw R
Titleist tsi2 16.5 tensei blue raw R
Titleist 816 h1 17/21/25 Diamana red 60 S
Mizuno 6-P JPX 921 HMP recoil 95 f3
Mizuno t20 46/52/58 recoil 95 f3
Mizuno mcraft iii 
Titleist Pro V1x 

44 minutes ago, srksi said:

I’ve played 910 913 915 917 mostly d3 drivers and f3 fwys.  I did not like the ts3.

It was too big and no performance gain over my 917.  

Fast forward and I hit a couple buddies mavriks way longer. I go to get fit and the fitter has trouble. Asks what I’m after and I tell him the story. He asks, TSi?  No, not yet.  I hit the 3 so so. The tsi2 is at hot as the mavrik and more forgiving than any driver I’ve hit. I literally hit it across 1.5” -2” wide and it’s awesome. I hit 14 fairways for the first time in my life.  I put my 917 shaft in it. It’s 10 yards longer.

I’m about 97 SS. Hitting about 245 avg.  235 was my avg with 917d3 and about 10 fw per round.  I play red board stiff or blue regular and f3 recoils.  Certainly a moderate swinger. 

I have 816 hybrids and a 917f3 wood still. No differences with ts 2/3 worth trading up. 

the new driver is fantastic. Go for it!  

I might give that TSi2 a shot.  Thanks

OP, I have a few miles more in swing speed, low 100's. I put the Mavrik SZ Triple Diamond against the TSi's on a Quad. I was lucky to hit all three (Mavrik, Tsi2, Tsi3) in the same shaft, a GD IZ. Ballspeeds were not materially different and I was getting a bit more spin in the Titleists. Dispersion on the Mavrik and Tsi3 were similar but the Tsi2 was better than both. Honestly I liked the shape and feel of all three but was surprised to like the Tsi2 as much as I did. I felt like I couldn't miss that stick and look forward to giving it another go soon.  

Your results will likely vary, go hit em........

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2020 at 6:42 PM, Biebs333 said:

TSi3 driver is fantastic, great looking and forgiving, I love it.  Just listed one a few moments ago that I played 20 rounds on a recent golf trip, it is in perfect condition.  Tough to beat a Titleist, just a fantastic club all around.  Good luck.20201213_190024.jpg.f03e99ba056de562b7307f31161b1352.jpg

So you're saying how good your driver is and selling it all in one post? That is peak WRX right there! 🙂

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

On 12/13/2020 at 8:04 PM, Myherobobhope said:

This...

I'm coming from an Epic sub zero 10.5 and it was a major let down I got fit for the 

Titleist tsi2/3 i ended up with the tsi2 I desperately wanted to fit into the 3 but the 2 

was just much better on mis hits , I'm going to say that throughout my golfing years 

this driver is up there in the top 3 taylormade 510 tp and the Bridgestone j33 and the tsi2 

are my favorite all-time drivers in no particular order , the tsi2/3 are the real deal buy with confidence just make sure you get fit by a professional as shaft is critical to get the most out of the driver .

Edited by alpineto

• 1 month later...