HBO: Tiger (2021)

Circaflex

17 minutes ago, capking said:

Didn’t mean you specifically, half this thread is people defending Tiger without watching 

Or some people just not caring to see opportunistic rehashing of salacious junk from events that occurred 11 years ago! Everybody can vote with the remote.

Fortunately PBS has revived All Creatures Great and Small which airs at the same time.  1st episode was great and the local village papers weren't going nuts over pets being attacked with short irons or tomcats prowling about, so looking forward to second episode tonight.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Greg_B said:

Hogan and Woods are really not comparable. Although both had childhood traumas that caused them to be the way they were as adults. Ben did not typically try to promote himself as a good guy while being a SOB the way Woods did in his prime years, and did not live a personal life totally at odds with his public image.

As for the fans, what can I say? The Tiger worshipers are a special breed of fanatic. Which rhymes with lunatic (well not really, but you get the point). 😉

Ahhh, I think I understand your perspective on things now ; )

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

Ralph Lauren just had a sponsorship slot open up . . .

Yeah.. little silly but I get it.. remember last year when JT said he would never be mic’d? Well, I bet he will be even more adamant now. Lol..

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

2 hours ago, capking said:

Didn’t mean you specifically, half this thread is people defending Tiger without watching 

Defend him? Why?

Doesn’t look like he needs any help with that.

This is insane, just insane to see fans act like this...

Edited by bscinstnct

On 1/14/2021 at 6:42 AM, Greg_B said:

This pretty much sums it up. From the time of his pro debut until 2009 you saw nothing about him other than how great he was on the course, because the off-course side was carefully shielded from view except for the parts that could polish his image. His team of handlers and those who depended on that image (Nike et al) made sure of that. Only once that charade all fell apart did we begin to see the full picture of the man, warts and all. It is interesting to me that even at that, it took nearly 10 years for the image to change as he tried to repair the body that he damaged and the ravages of age (to use a Henry Longhurst line) began to get a grip on him physically. God only knows what his mental state was during all that, but from the arrest for impairment near the end of that period, it is probably safe to say it wasn't good.

The point is that all we had ever seen were Golf Channel/TV network puff pieces until that time, and even after that, they still treated him with kid gloves while reporting the new and less flattering revelations about him. The Masters win in 2019 started the redemption story, and maybe he has changed, although we really don't know for sure. His behavior at tournaments over the last 2 years seems to be much more human and "normal", but we probably will never know if that is real or just what we are allowed to see because his image is still carefully managed. Regardless, this documentary fills in the blank spots in the pre-2019 picture of the man that was all we were privy to until recently, with little to no visibility towards his often despicable behavior and flawed personality. In that sense it is placing him on the same level as any other PGA Tour player or media celebrity, and what's good for one is good for all.

You must have missed the book Tiger Woods by Jeff Benedict Armen Keteyian (both award winning and highly respected within the industry). My guess is that it makes the HBO thing look like a puff piece. Team Tiger threatened them with lawsuits but of course nothing came of it because these two did their homework. The book goes into a lot more detail on Earl, which is pretty sad. It's a great read and despite the exposure of all his flaws, I still root for Tiger and appreciate the good that he's done both in golf and outside. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gunmetal said:

You must have missed the book Tiger Woods by Jeff Benedict Armen Keteyian (both award winning and highly respected within the industry). My guess is that it makes the HBO thing look like a puff piece. Team Tiger threatened them with lawsuits but of course nothing came of it because these two did their homework. The book goes into a lot more detail on Earl, which is pretty sad. It's a great read and despite the exposure of all his flaws, I still root for Tiger and appreciate the good that he's done both in golf and outside. 

Oh no, I read it and quite enjoyed it, since it wasn't the typical fawning sort of piece that was the norm for anything to do with Tiger up to then (aside from Haney's book, which was pretty tame by comparison). It sounds like you may not know that the HBO documentary is based on the Benedict/Keteyan book, and that they are executive producers of it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

Oh no, I read it and quite enjoyed it, since it wasn't the typical fawning sort of piece that was the norm for anything to do with Tiger up to then (aside from Haney's book, which was pretty tame by comparison). It sounds like you may not know that the HBO documentary is based on the Benedict/Keteyan book, and that they are executive producers of it.

Indeed I didn't! Thanks very much. I'll definitely be checking it out.

4 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Or some people just not caring to see opportunistic rehashing of salacious junk from events that occurred 11 years ago! Everybody can vote with the remote.

Fortunately PBS has revived All Creatures Great and Small which airs at the same time.  1st episode was great and the local village papers weren't going nuts over pets being attacked with short irons or tomcats prowling about, so looking forward to second episode tonight.

We have PBS Passport, and have watched the whole first season. It was really good, and, considering everything going on, just a real feel good show.

13 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

We have PBS Passport, and have watched the whole first season. It was really good, and, considering everything going on, just a real feel good show.

Watched back in the day and we binged on all of them around Thanksgiving. The new version is pretty good after just one episode, but the old characters were classic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greg_B said:

Yep, one of the reasons not watching. Book was a hit piece, IMO. 

6 hours ago, Greg_B said:

Hogan and Woods are really not comparable. Although both had childhood traumas that caused them to be the way they were as adults. Ben did not typically try to promote himself as a good guy while being a SOB the way Woods did in his prime years, and did not live a personal life totally at odds with his public image.

As for the fans, what can I say? The Tiger worshipers are a special breed of fanatic. Which rhymes with lunatic (well not really, but you get the point). 😉

Tiger had childhood trauma compared to hogan? Ummmm no

• Like 2

The reviews of part 2 are in....

“When the National Enquirer is one of the stars of a documentary, you know what's going to follow is absolute trash.

The second and final part of HBO's documentary Tiger aired on Sunday and it's dramatically different from the first. The initial one was deep, thoughtful and fearlessly examined the issue of race in Woods' life.

The second one was ... none of those things.

If you were going to give part two a title it would be: Ewwwwwwwwww.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/4198247001

22 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Defend him? Why?

Doesn’t look like he needs any help with that.

This is insane, just insane to see fans act like this...

You don't think tiger enjoys this reaction?  I bet he loves every second of it.  It is what comes along with the goals he set.  

• Like 1

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

2 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Thought it was excellent. Says more of our celebrity culture than is comfortable. To my mind, low point was 2010 Masters. Found it was highly empathetic but can see why Woods would hate the whole thing.

As I recall, the 2010 Masters was the beginning of the 'comeback'. Tiger played pretty well, he wore sunglasses because of his allergies, but other than that, it seemed pretty uneventful, being Augusta and all, the perfect place for Tiger to comeback because of the support.

Needless to say, I haven't watched (and won't watch) the HBO documentary. I just remember watching the second round featured group from Masters.com which I taped. He was paired with Matt Kuchar and KJ Choi, which seemed to be a very supportive pairing. And the commentary was all about the golf.

Edited by puttfordoux

I thought part 1 was a lot better than part 2.  Part 2 didn't really give a whole lot of new info, and obviously it was mostly a rehash of the tabloid stuff.  It also felt like they really rushed through all of the post 2009 stuff.  That apology press conference he held was just as awkward to watch now as it was then.  A few notes:

1.  It seemed to me they messed up quite a bit of the golf stuff, which seemed odd.  For example, part 1 saying that Phil was intimidated on 13 and then showing a bad tee shot on 10 as evidence at Augusta.  In part 2, they made it seem like his putt to send the 2008 US Open to a playoff was actually for the win.  I believe they also showed his putt out on 16 in the last round of the 2019 Masters after his approach at 12, and then went back and showed the tee shot at 16. They also talked about guys at Augusta being intimidated, and showed Molinari.....which was odd because Molinari went head to head with Tiger at the Open the year before and was unflappable and beat him fairly easily at a brutally hard course.  So all of those guys just happened to get intimidated by Tiger on #12?  I think it was Masters pressure as much as anything.  I watched it late so maybe I am getting that mixed up, but I figured for a golf documentary they wouldn't mess that stuff up.

2.  I am glad there was commentary on the Billy Payne lecture in 2010.  It didn't seem quite as odd at the time, because everyone was seemingly piling on Tiger, but in hindsight it seems completely unnecessary and I'm glad that a lot of people in the documentary pointed it out. 

3.  I get the sense that Steve Williams wishes he still had a relationship with Tiger.  Obviously he's said things since 2009/2010 that he regrets, but I get the impression that he thought a lot of it would eventually blow over and they would reconnect.

4.  I actually wish the documentary was more parts and they focused more on a lot of the golf.  I know, we've all seen his various wins a zillion times, but some of the footage they had of the tournaments that I hadn't previously seen was really interesting.  There were also so many ups and downs a peaks and valleys between say 2014/2015 and 2019 that they could have easily done a few hours on, to show exactly how crazy it was that he came back and won in 2018 and 2019. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slippin_Jimmy said:

What also stood out was Rachel Uchitel saying how much he enjoyed eating cereal and watching cartoons.  I mean, that's just bizarre, what grown man is doing that?  Maybe making up for not being able to do that as a kid?

I think they were probably being a bit dramatic with that.  First of all, a lot of people eat cereal.  That's not unusual.  I'm not sure if Rachel thought Tiger needed to get up and eat eggs Florentine every morning or something, who knows.

Second, who knows what cartoons he's watching.  But grown men nowadays watch Family Guy, Simpsons, South Park etc. regularly, so who knows if she lumped that stuff in there.  A ton of athletes also play video games regularly, so it's easy to say that someone "eats cereal and plays video games" or "eats cereal and watches cartoons" and make it seem like it's a childish thing when he was just doing what an overwhelming amount of guys do anyway.

For the record, I eat cereal but don't watch cartoons or play video games, so I'm not posting this as any type of veiled self assessment.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Titleist 670 said:

I think they were probably being a bit dramatic with that.  First of all, a lot of people eat cereal.  That's not unusual.  I'm not sure if Rachel thought Tiger needed to get up and eat eggs Florentine every morning or something, who knows.

Second, who knows what cartoons he's watching.  But grown men nowadays watch Family Guy, Simpsons, South Park etc. regularly, so who knows if she lumped that stuff in there.  A ton of athletes also play video games regularly, so it's easy to say that someone "eats cereal and plays video games" or "eats cereal and watches cartoons" and make it seem like it's a childish thing when he was just doing what an overwhelming amount of guys do anyway.

For the record, I eat cereal but don't watch cartoons or play video games, so I'm not posting this as any type of veiled self assessment.

I think TW like to watch Buggs and veg out and eat fruit loops. What’s wrong with that?

Imo, that’s the only normal thing TW did!

😂

The second part definitely had a different tone than the first and basically the paparazzi are real scumbags. That national enquirer guy is just a disgusting leech. Also, Billy Payne had no right to chastise tiger like that publicly. Nick Faldo’s private life was just as much of a mess and he never did that to him. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

I think TW like to watch Buggs and veg out and eat fruit loops. What’s wrong with that?

Imo, that’s the only normal thing TW did!

😂

Tiger revealed in an interview somewhere, that he and his children name all of their pets after cartoon characters.  I think Tee-Dub is a big fan of Saturday mornings and the cartoons.  Gotta say I have some great childhood memories of watching Looney Tunes with my father, I did like me some Fruit Loops, but Cap'n Crunch was always my fav.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

12 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

Tiger revealed in an interview somewhere, that he and his children name all of their pets after cartoon characters.  I think Tee-Dub is a big fan of Saturday mornings and the cartoons.  Gotta say I have some great childhood memories of watching Looney Tunes with my father, I did like me some Fruit Loops, but Cap'n Crunch was always my fav.  

Remember the Fruit Loop “dust” at the bottom of the bag! Was like a pure sugar blast!

We had the best cereal.

Sugar Smacks

Capn Crunch

Lucky Charms

Honeycomb

And what about Fun Dip. Dipping sugar sticks into pure sugar dust! Must be illegal now. But we weren’t fat because you were allowed to ride your bike all over the town all day unsupervised!

2AE4F79B-4473-431B-B338-7D4A5C19226C.jpeg

• Like 3

I’m watching now!  

Brings you back...The media feeding frenzy was totally insane!

“There were more post covers dedicated to Tiger Woods than to 9/11”

Vultures must be insulted when compared to the media, lol

I’ll say this...

If TW could survive that and come out of it, rise to the top again, and end up as one of the most popular and loved sports figures in history.

He should run for office one day!

I mean, talk about being “vetted”. He’s clearly the people choice!

Edited by bscinstnct

Stevie! Looks in good shape.

That was messed up TW “fired him as a caddie and a friend.” 

But Stevie still has nice things to say about him.

Oh, now the back....these are the bad times. Yips, dope, total despair.

All the haters, the media, the whole world says,

”Tiger is done”

But then...like a Phoenix 

Tigerrrrrrr!

A4D1B716-9F5F-44EB-A18B-36A0EAF68DEC.jpeg

TW be like,

4F789D78-0078-4A1F-811F-9109BBF954F5.jpeg

Ok ok, got to zoom but I know how it ends ; )

Show is ok, maybe catch part 1 laters. 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1