Iron Covers

1 hour ago, ASN21 said:

I don't care if you use them or not but I think they look terrible and make your golf bag look dorky. 

That’s what I’m trying to understand...why do Iron Covers look “dorky” and “terrible”, but Driver, Wood, and putter covers are totally acceptable and cherished?

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Titleist U505 (22*) Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0

Srixon ZX5 (5-7), ZX7 MK II (8-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

WITB on WRX

4 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

That’s what I’m trying to understand...why do Iron Covers look “dorky” and “terrible”, but Driver, Wood, and putter covers are totally acceptable and cherished?

Probably because when you buy irons they don't come with headcovers? 

1 minute ago, dhacker56 said:

And do you bash those that use iron covers?

Nah I got better things to do but if you are a buddy of mine and you show up with some iron condoms then expect to get some ribbing for sure. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

So you guys weave/wrap a full length bath towel between your 3 or 4-PW or is it a golf towel?

What type of bags do you guys use and do you usually walk/carry?

Nah just a standard golf towel. You don't have to be too specific either. Reduces alot of the clanging. I ride pretty much every round in South Florida (You'd have to be a special kind of psychopath to walk summer rounds here). 

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke Ai Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD BB-7x 
TM Qi10 Tour 14.0 Graphite Design Tour AD BB-8x 
Titleist TSR2 18.0 HZRDUS Black 6.0
Mizuno 245 4-PW KB Tour C Taper 120 S
National Custom Works 48 Green KBS Tour High Rev 
National Custom Works 54 Green KBS Tour High Rev

National Custom Works 60 Green KBS Tour High Rev
Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport 2 sole stamp 

I walk/carry, with a lightweight stand bag. My clubs are fairly well wedged in so they don’t move much. 

The group I play with don’t hang around. Like, I don’t take a practice swing kind of speed.

Its just something else to think about loosing, and I prefer not to have them. If they were covered in paint then I might have a different view.

If you like them, then go with it, doesn’t matter what anyone else says. Your clubs will look better than mine when they come to be sold on.

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60L Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

This has to be one of the worst topics ever on this site, but continually surfaces.

it doesn’t affect game, no triple diamond release, is a personal choice, and pointless discussion.

Always ends up the same.....

• Like 1

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I don't know that it's hate as much as aggravation because they easily get lost.  When I first took up golf I used iron head covers for a bit.  I thought they helped, little did I know.  As it turns out, aggravation outweighed their purpose, after a few months I threw them away. 

A friend has head covers on his irons.  It's not that his clubs are expensive, like mine.  He thinks they keep them clean and quiet in the trunk, probably true. 

Maybe what really gets people that don't use them, they can still aggravate us.  Invariably, someone loses one during the round and has to frantically chase around hole to hole hoping to find the scoundrel, then finds it the cart bag well.  Maybe iron head covers are a PoP problem too.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

54 minutes ago, courcy75 said:

Nah just a standard golf towel. You don't have to be too specific either. Reduces alot of the clanging. I ride pretty much every round in South Florida (You'd have to be a special kind of psychopath to walk summer rounds here). 

Makes sense. Yeah, I’ve been to Florida in July and thought I was going to pass out from walking 2 blocks to the store!

WITB on WRX

25 minutes ago, Warrick said:

This has to be one of the worst topics ever on this site, but continually surfaces.

it doesn’t affect game, no triple diamond release, is a personal choice, and pointless discussion.

I just joined WRX and hadn’t seen any threads about this topic.

I was genuinely curious about why I saw so many random comments by people bashing Iron covers, and what the reasoning was for it.

I’m actually learning a lot from this discussion, so not pointless to me.

• Like 1

WITB on WRX

26 minutes ago, Warrick said:

You can make the case that this describes 95% of the topics, not just on this site, but on all discussion forums.

It a thread encouraging people to share their opinion - which was compelling enough for you to chime in with yours. 

Meanwhile, I saw an add for some records I left in my cart at another site, and considered buying them. 

GolfWRX got paid

The internet continued to be "free"

This is how the world works.  Thank you for playing your part.

• Like 3

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

51 minutes ago, Bye said:

I walk/carry, with a lightweight stand bag. My clubs are fairly well wedged in so they don’t move much. 

The group I play with don’t hang around. Like, I don’t take a practice swing kind of speed.

Its just something else to think about loosing, and I prefer not to have them. If they were covered in paint then I might have a different view.

If you like them, then go with it, doesn’t matter what anyone else says. Your clubs will look better than mine when they come to be sold on.

Makes sense. Yeah, I understand that reasoning for sure.

For sure, this thread wouldn’t change my mind whether I use Iron covers or not, I just didn’t understand why I saw so many people posting comments bashing them on different threads.

• Sad 1

WITB on WRX

I used iron head covers when I first started golf but discarded them after a short time.  I just keep losing or misplacing them and more stuff to worry about.  I already lose a lot of things while golfing (headcovers, clubs, rangefinders, ball markers, flask, etc.)  I don't cover my putter, wedges and irons and don't mind the dings (I have forged CBs/wedges and a SS 303 putter) but I do cover my woods, can't have dings and scuffs on those.  I ride most of the time and play with friends that walk so I am always looking for stuff they leave behind including towels and head covers.  Iron head covers are not that easy to spot. 

I do understand people who cover their irons especially if they are soft forgings, keep them clean and also better resale value.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I don't know that it's hate as much as aggravation because they easily get lost.  When I first took up golf I used iron head covers for a bit.  I thought they helped, little did I know.  As it turns out, aggravation outweighed their purpose, after a few months I threw them away. 

A friend has head covers on his irons.  It's not that his clubs are expensive, like mine.  He thinks they keep them clean and quiet in the trunk, probably true. 

Maybe what really gets people that don't use them, they can still aggravate us.  Invariably, someone loses one during the round and has to frantically chase around hole to hole hoping to find the scoundrel, then finds it the cart bag well.  Maybe iron head covers are a PoP problem too.

Makes sense...I’d be frustrated if I played with guys that constantly lost Iron covers too.

Personally, I’ve never lost any and they keep my clubs in great shape, so just didn’t understand why so many people bashed them.

Definitely could be an issue with the person using them.

WITB on WRX

2 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Makes sense...I’d be frustrated if I played with guys that constantly lost Iron covers too.

Personally, I’ve never lost any and they keep my clubs in great shape, so just didn’t understand why so many people bashed them.

Definitely could be an issue with the person using them.

No doubt... its user based. 

I really don't care if others use them.  I am not the kind a person that gets my panties in a wad because someone uses something different, or God forbid has a Tournament Bag... lol  I don't care what clubs someone plays either. 🙂The only time my dander might show up is if someone's decision or actions affects me or mine.

I use a large damp microfiber golf towel to wipe off my grips before use and wipe the club head and shaft after use keeps them nice clean.  I keep the Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag Rain Cover on the bag at all times too.  The only bag chatter might be due to a crazy cart driver. lol.

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

24 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Makes sense. Yeah, I understand that reasoning for sure.

For sure, this thread wouldn’t change my mind whether I use Iron covers or not, I just didn’t understand why I saw so many people posting comments bashing them on different threads.

As we say over here, they are Marmite, you either like them or hate them. 

I posted on another thread, it was just meant to be a lighthearted rib, mainly because it was another thread about something that have been gone over a lot.

Its a bit like the player that hooks a towel to a loop on their trousers/pants. Very practical, but not for everyone.

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60L Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

If you play cast irons, they are totally unnecessary.  They just don't ding up that much, and if you walk you can easily run a towel through them.  If you play expensive forged irons that are chrome plated, I get it, but they are "tools" not "jewels" and they are  a PITA to mess with, and in my humble opinion they look dorky, but at the end of the day who cares what others think...so do what you want.  

I keep a headcover on may fairway woods, but usually pull it off my driver once the round starts, I usually have one on my putter, but I find it annoying.  I might have to go back to my old school Ping Anser putter just so I don't have to worry about it any longer.  To me, messing around with headcovers just adds OCD stress to a round.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Thanks very much for the insights everyone, definitely found this discussion very informative!!

Had no idea this was such a hot-button issue, was really just curious about some of the anti-iron cover posts I’ve seen.

Biggest takeaways for me from this thread have been:

1) Guys who use Iron Covers don’t care what other people think or how it looks, just do it because they want to keep their Irons looking new & without chatter/dents

2) Many who don’t use Iron covers do it because they like the sound of chatter and they prefer their clubs looking worn and with more character

3) There’s a perception that Iron Covers are linked to slow play due to guys who lose their covers

4) Some think that Iron covers look “dorky” or “terrible”, but that’s personal perception/bias

5) Consider using a towel to divide Irons and minimize chatter

6) 14-way divider bags increase club chatter

Definitely interesting info to keep in mind...good stuff everyone, I don’t think this was pointless at all! 

• Like 4

WITB on WRX

3 hours ago, BallerNate said:

So you guys weave/wrap a full length bath towel between your 3 or 4-PW or is it a golf towel?

What type of bags do you guys use and do you usually walk/carry?

I use a golf towel between my longer irons and my woods.  It is not wrapped or woven around the shafts/heads.  When I play, I'm usually carrying my own clubs.  My favorite two bags are my Titleist Linksmaster or my Callaway Hyperlite Zero. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10k Driver | 10.5° set to 9.5° (Flat -1.0°) | autoFlex 505
Callaway Epic Speed | 16.5° | Ventus Red

Callaway Epic Max | 20° | Graphite Design Tour AD DJ
Ping G430 3H | 19° Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-75

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4 | 21° Diamana Thump

Titleist T150 | 5I-AW | Aerotech SteelFiber i80cw

Callaway Rogue ST Pro | 5I-AW | Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw
Callaway Jaws MD5 | 50° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Callaway Jaws Full Toe Raw Black | 54° & 58° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Bettinardi BB8 Tri Carbon Candy  | Stability Graphite or TaylorMade Spider X Chalk  | Stability Tour

I keep an alignment rod in my bag. Covers go on that while I take a shot. Some of my covers happen to cover irons.

I have an MGI Zip Nav cart, which I love, and neoprene iron covers are handy. They do not slow play, and they make it quiet. I appreciate the rhythm of the walkers and such, but at least here in NZ, 99+% of rounds are walked. Of those, over 95% are using a push cart. Shoulder carry is a thing, but it's very rare.

If I were walking, and I had cast irons, I'd be fine without covers.

Also, if you're going to get them, get "three-sided" covers with easy to read numbers that are on top. $10 on Amazon. Go get the same one x3 so when you lose one or they wear out, you're good.

Use 'em or don't… but the biggest thing is your personal choice and not wasting time. F other people.

• Thanks 1

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

11 minutes ago, karstens_ghost said:

I keep an alignment rod in my bag. Covers go on that while I take a shot. Some of my covers happen to cover irons.

I have an MGI Zip Nav cart, which I love, and neoprene iron covers are handy. They do not slow play, and they make it quiet. I appreciate the rhythm of the walkers and such, but at least here in NZ, 99+% of rounds are walked. Of those, over 95% are using a push cart. Shoulder carry is a thing, but it's very rare.

Also, if you're going to get them, get "three-sided" covers with easy to read numbers that are on top. $10 on Amazon. Go get the same one x3 so when you lose one or they wear out, you're good.

Use 'em or don't… but the biggest thing is your personal choice and not wasting time. F other people.

BTW. I don’t use iron covers on my cast irons.😀

1 hour ago, bear87 said:

I use a golf towel between my longer irons and my woods.  It is not wrapped or woven around the shafts/heads.  When I play, I'm usually carrying my own clubs.  My favorite two bags are my Titleist Linksmaster or my Callaway Hyperlite Zero. 

Good to know more about the towel strategy, will keep that in mind. 

I prefer walking and have considered a carry bag too...just need to find one with long enough straps for me (I’m 6’7). 

I usually play with my pull cart, so quite a bit of bumping up & down. 

WITB on WRX

3 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

Yeah, I prefer walking and use a pull cart also. My Irons are Forged and definitely find that they get chatter/dents very easily and show everything.

I would definitely consider a carry bag, but I’m a big dude and haven’t found one big enough.

You’re 100% about the naysayers though, could care less what other people think about how I look, Lol!

I’m the big 6’7 dude with cargo shorts on and black Iron covers who’s doing what I love to do and smelling the roses! 

Edit: And I put my covers in my pocket during a shot...2 secs to take off, 2 secs to put on!

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 1

WITB on WRX

I use iron covers when the bag is in the trunk (my wife drives my car every so often and the woman is hard on a vehicle) or when I'm traveling.  Don't trust baggage handlers at all.

When I'm walking though, I can take care of my clubs and minimize bag chatter.  I don't mind it per se, but I don't love it either.

However, if I'm forced to take a riding cart I have one of these.  Especially if there's a chance that my playing partner will ever be driving the cart.  Nothing sounds worse than someone taking a big bump on a cartpath at full speed.  You can pretty much hear your clubs getting f***** up.  Don't need iron covers if the clubs are locked into place:

BagBoyRevolverXP.gif

Edited by Kid B
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gsea said:

All that said what you all are missing with covers is setting your bag down and having the rising or setting sun glistening off of your forged irons, golf in the kingdom 🙂

Haha...indeed! This is one of the first points that would actually make me consider not using iron covers! 😎

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, Kid B said:

I use iron covers when the bag is in the trunk (my wife drives my car every so often and the woman is hard on a vehicle) or when I'm traveling.  Don't trust baggage handlers at all.

When I'm walking though, I can take care of my clubs and minimize bag chatter.  I don't mind it per se, but I don't love it either.

However, if I'm forced to take a riding cart I have one of these.  Especially if there's a chance that my playing partner will ever be driving the cart.  Nothing sounds worse than someone taking a big bump on a cartpath at full speed.  You can pretty much hear your clubs getting f***** up.  Don't need iron covers if the clubs are locked into place:

BagBoyRevolverXP.gif

Yeah, I think I will always need to have iron covers on while my bag is in the trunk or travelling too...I can’t see that ever changing.

And I agree, there’s nothing worse than the sound of clubs smashing into each other on a bumpy course in a power cart...it’s like nails on a chalkboard!

What type of bag is that though? How is it supposed to help protect clubs?

WITB on WRX

44 minutes ago, GSDriver said:

As my 7 year old forged irons look essentially new thanks to my clear castle bay iron covers, I'll confess, same set of covers since I purchased the irons in 2014, haven't lost one yet.....so WTF is with others who can't keep track of them?   Asking for a friend 🙂

Yeah, I’m confused by that too. I had the same iron covers from about 2007-20, and just replaced them recently because of wear.

Not sure who these guys are that are mysteriously losing 2 per round when we haven’t lost any in years...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WITB on WRX

That's a Bag Boy Revolver XP, and I probably shouldn't have picked an animated gif to highlight my point.  The top spins so you can access all your clubs when it's attached to a cart, but that's not my favorite feature of the bag.

Each compartment has a spot for the shaft to lock into.  Those little round notches are what secures your clubs.  It works great, and your clubs won't even rotate if they're clicked in.

Here's a better picture to show how it works:

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 10.13.19 AM.png

Edited by Kid B

30 minutes ago, Kid B said:

That's a Bag Boy Revolver XP, and I probably shouldn't have picked an animated gif to highlight my point.  The top spins so you can access all your clubs when it's attached to a cart, but that's not my favorite feature of the bag.

Each compartment has a spot for the shaft to lock into.  Those little round notches are what secures your clubs.  It works great, and your clubs won't even rotate if they're clicked in.

Here's a better picture to show how it works:

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 10.13.19 AM.png

Great idea...very interesting! Will definitely do more research on these for sure.

WITB on WRX