Anyone over 60 still carry their bag?

I will be 67 this June, and started playing golf in my late 40’s after a divorce. I lived on Long Island at the time and played mostly at Bethpage Park. I carried my bag until  I moved to the Myrtle Beach area about 10 years year ago.

Down here there are very few courses conducive to walking, as the holes are so spread apart to include as many on course housing plots as possible.

Anyway, I’m going to start spending about 3-4 months a year back up on the Island, and yesterday I ordered a Sun Mountain 2.5 bag to use at the range down here and in anticipation of walking the courses up there again. So here’s my question.... Am I biting off more than I can chew by not buying a push cart instead? How many of you seniors still walk and carry?

I’m 5’9” and weigh about 175. Covid has prevented me from going to the gym the past year, and I’d like to start getting back in shape. I figure if nothing else this would replace treadmill work, and I can just concentrate on a weight and resistance tracing program when I am able to go back.

What do you guys think?

Edited by john myrbch

CALLAWAY AI Smoke Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

TITLEIST SM9 54-10

TITLEIST SM9 58-8

L.A.B. DF3  34” 69*

I'm 64 and carry on all but the meanest terrain.  Some of the green-to-the-next-tee walks are tedious and were laid out for cart riders, but they don't really bother me.  I play with a several guys in their 70's who could walk me into the ground.  I think there is a real caloric benefit, but I'm not sure there is much cardio benefit.  If I ever gave up walking due to injury or whatever I fear I wouldn't go back.  I usually carry, but if I am playing on day 3 or 4 and my back is a little stiff I do use the MGI Navigator.

Phred

• Like 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

I'm 58. Our course is super hilly, and has several long uphill climbs from green to the next tee. We own our own cart. That said, I will often walk and carry, while my wife drives. I jump on for the long uphill treks, and it generally works great. I can also help move the cart for her if needed.

I carry a Sun Mountain 2.5, and generally only keep a few balls and a few tees in the bag. Love to walk ... the way the game was meant to be played!

13 minutes ago, goaliedad30 said:

I'm 58. Our course is super hilly, and has several long uphill climbs from green to the next tee. We own our own cart. That said, I will often walk and carry, while my wife drives. I jump on for the long uphill treks, and it generally works great. I can also help move the cart for her if needed.

I carry a Sun Mountain 2.5, and generally only keep a few balls and a few tees in the bag. Love to walk ... the way the game was meant to be played!

Yeah I’m excited. Can’t for my 2.5 to arrive. I got the ‘20 version on Amazon, I used $75 in points, so it cost me a $100.

I figure it will pay for itself after a few rounds without cart fees....

Edited by john myrbch

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

TITLEIST SM9 54-10

TITLEIST SM9 58-8

L.A.B. DF3  34” 69*

I’m 60, carry a Sun Mountain 3.5 daily on a 9 hole executive course.  We play 3 rounds each day at 1700 yards each.  I’m walking approximately 3 1/2 hours per day, light/medium terrain, full bag with no issues.

Edited by Buzzkill
  • Like 1

Handicap:  3

20 minutes ago, goaliedad30 said:

Yeah I’m excited. Can’t for my 2.5 to arrive. I got the ‘20 version on Amazon, use $75 in points, cost me a $100.

I figure it will pay for itself after a few rounds without cart fees.... plus I always felt like I played better when I walked as opposed to riding. Especially on cart path only days.

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

TITLEIST SM9 54-10

TITLEIST SM9 58-8

L.A.B. DF3  34” 69*

A couple of players over 70 at my course still carry for 9 or 12 holes.  Half a set, a lightweight bag.  18 holes or playing away they get the push cart.

I've carried all my life.  But now nearing 50 I too use a push cart for 18 because I don't want to give any advantages on the home stretch. I too carry a Sun Mountain bag.  Best I've ever had.

My dad is 69(heart medication); he carries on 95% of rounds still. Plays at a links course so just he odd hill and in Scotland so never gets too hot.

There is no real cart option without a medical certificate. So he does have a battery push cart for the wet days or rounds he is just real tired going into.

Edited by scott_Donald
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I'm 68 and still carry my bag on courses that aren't too hilly or hot. I live in the mountains and there are some courses here that I wouldn't even think about it. I use a Titleist hybrid 14 bag and it is quite comfortable carrying 14 clubs and the miscellaneous items that I need for a round of golf.

I'm 60, and will walk unless the course doesn't allow me to, regardless of how hilly it is.  I figure if the golf stinks, I'll at least have gotten some benefit from it, but I also find walking much more enjoyable than riding from a meditative standpoint as well.  Basically, there are just other aspects of golf I enjoy besides getting the ball in the hole.  I will occasionally carry a 'Sunday bag' (not sure of the brand) with a paired-down set of clubs, but if I do it too often, the back starts to get a bit stiff, so my usual set-up is a full-sized bag with a push cart.  One of the bennies of having a cart is the ability to pop a drink in the cup-holder and put stuff in the other convenient pockets, and I don't think it takes away from the walking aspect of the game.

I'm 68 and try to walk whenever I play. Most rounds I carry my MacKenzie Walker Sunday bag with 7 or 8 clubs. When it gets really hot in the summer, I will sometimes break out the push cart loaded up with water and snacks.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Do y'all carry a backpack full of rocks to the supermarket, too? I don't see any benefit to carrying a bag other than a sore back and getting tired faster. It doesn't improve your score. If it helped your score, every professional on the planet would would be carrying their bag. Six or seven clubs in a cotton bag sounds good though.

• Like 3

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

2 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Do y'all carry a backpack full of rocks to the supermarket, too? I don't see any benefit to carrying a bag other than a sore back and getting tired faster. It doesn't improve your score. If it helped your score, every professional on the planet would would be carrying their bag. Six or seven clubs in a cotton bag sounds good though.

Uh- for the exercise ?

And I do walk to the market too although the backpack is empty on the way there

• Like 1

I still carry my bag,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

from the car to the bag rack. 51683a_e8353ae2ef644e48a5bae9fc2e1b168b~

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Uh, 

15 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

Uh- for the exercise ?

And I do walk to the market too although the backpack is empty on the way there

Carrying probably burns only 100 calories more. It's the walking and swinging that is the exercise.

There are plenty of articles debunking the old idea that it is healthy to carry. Even juniors are advised not to cary anymore since it is a leading cause of injury to the spine, shoulders and ankles.

Here's a start. You can research it.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/critics-of-college-players-usi

• Like 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

2 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Uh, 

Carrying probably burns only 100 calories more. It's the walking and swinging that is the exercise.

There are plenty of articles debunking the old idea that it is healthy to carry. Even juniors are advised not to cary anymore since it is a leading cause of injury to the spine, shoulders and ankles.

Here's a start. You can research it.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/critics-of-college-players-usi

Agreed. The Extra force on the knees is one reason enough alone.

The incremental calorie burn or cardio from carrying is minimal. Walking is the key. If you want more then go to the gym, buy a bike, do targeted exercise etc. 

• Like 1

Extra force on joints- have you ever worked a real physical job ?

Not to get in turbo land but I have been a telephone lineman where we climbed with gaffs, poured steel in a casting factory etc.

At 69 years old all joints still work fine and still weigh the same 185 at 6'1 since high school 

Save your academic studies for reading in your lazy cart

All in good fun

On 2/28/2021 at 12:05 PM, miamistomp said:

Extra force on joints- have you ever worked a real physical job ?

Not to get in turbo land but I have been a telephone lineman where we climbed with gaffs, poured steel in a casting factory etc.

At 69 years old all joints still work fine and still weigh the same 185 at 6'1 since high school 

Save your academic studies for reading in your lazy cart

All in good fun

No reason to be condescending.  I'll try and answer in the most polite way I can. 

Fact is your personal work experience is irrelevant to the discussion so I have no idea why you think that's relevant. 

Your personal health situation is only one data point and is in no way necessarily reflective of the mean.

It is well established that the more force/weight applied to a moving joint experiences the more wear. This is applicable to any moving joint, be it biological or man-made. That's why knee replacement is one of the most common surgeries.  Not all bodies are created equal so mileage will vary.   Maybe you don't understand that but the engineers that designed those castings in the factory you built sure did. 

As for calorie burn--- carrying vs walking w/ a push cart, there have been several studies performed and the results are similar. Calorie burn is about the same.  

There are good reasons to carry and good reasons to use a push cart, but neither has anything to do with additional exercise as you wrongly think.

We were talking about push carts vs carrying, not sitting and riding in a cart. So you were incorrect yet again.

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5

Well to each their own

I managed to walk 5.2 miles ( according to apple watch) this morning carrying a Taylormade quiver with 11 clubs

Rig weighs, with a quart of water, about 18 pounds  

82 and overcast-flat Florida course- shot 9 over

Had a lovely day and joints feel just fine

My back has been dodgy since an accident in the 80s, my knees are shot after running marathons way back when and my shoulders are stuffed from too much heavy lifting so it's a push trolley for me although maybe carry a small bag on occasions like 9 holes at dusk. Carts are for horses.

Edited by Chanceman
wrong word

This is an awesome thread! Salute to all you gentlemen 60+ carrying and walking...I hope I’ll be doing the same at that age as well!

Derek Jeter Sport GIF by YES Network

Edited by BallerNate
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Titleist U505 (22*) Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0

Srixon ZX5 (5-7), ZX7 MK II (8-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

WITB on WRX

11 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

Hey, what about we 70+ers??

Just edited to make it 60+...70+ is even more awesome!! 🙌

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Titleist U505 (22*) Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0

Srixon ZX5 (5-7), ZX7 MK II (8-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

WITB on WRX

On 3/1/2021 at 11:28 AM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

No reason to be condescending.  I'll try and answer in the most polite way I can. 

Fact is your personal work experience is irrelevant to the discussion so I have no idea why you think that's relevant. 

Your personal health situation is only one data point and is in no way necessarily reflective of the mean.

It is well established that the more force/weight applied to a moving joint experiences the more wear. This is applicable to any moving joint, be it biological or man-made. That's why knee replacement is one of the most common surgeries.  Not all bodies are created equal so mileage will vary.   Maybe you don't understand that but the engineers that designed those castings in the factory you built sure did. 

As for calorie burn--- carrying vs walking w/ a push cart, there have been several studies performed and the results are similar. Calorie burn is about the same.  

There are good reasons to carry and good reasons to use a push cart, but neither has anything to do with additional exercise as you wrongly think.

We were talking about push carts vs carrying, not sitting and riding in a cart. So you were incorrect yet again.

Caloric exchange is a 30 year old health metric and a very outdated way of understanding metabolism.  Not all calories are created equal. 

Obviously you should do what’s right for your joints and posture, but if carrying a bag safely & comfortably is an option it’s more beneficial than pushing a cart or walking with a caddy.