Tommy Fleetwood TAG Heuer Deal

Who else is planning to get High End Golf watches?

Which watch company is next to join Tag Heuer in launching Golf Watches?

If TF is signed by TH, does that mean he won't play in Omega events? If he does and he wins, he still has to wear TH watch in the winner's interview? What does he do with the OMEGA watch he wins?

In case of Jason Day, there was an event sponsored by a car manufacturer (I forget which company), but since he's a Lexus ambassador, he can't take the winning prize home and end up cashing it?

Share your knowledge and your thoughts.

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

I wouldn't call Tag a high end watch.  More like a brand that has lost it's way and still charges a premium for not a very premium product.  Maybe they will let him wear some vintage Heuer's now that would be cool!  

My thoughts is he should of pushed harder for an AP contract, now that's a premium brand 😃.  

• Like 3

Lots of cases where contracted player may be playing in events sponsored by competing brands.  Rory (Omega sponsored) plays in the Euro Tour Rolex Series.  Plus I believe Rolex gives a watch to first-time winners on PGA and LPGA tours so probably lots of conflicts in play. Lee Westwood (UPS) plays in the Fedex Cup.  I recall many years ago when Woods won the Mercedes Tournament of Champions (now sponsored by Sentry I believe) when he was with Buick.  When he won the tournament he got a check and a MB car.  He gave it to his mother so there might be some hidden contract legalities in play.  

1 hour ago, cristphoto said:

Lots of cases where contracted player may be playing in events sponsored by competing brands.  Rory (Omega sponsored) plays in the Euro Tour Rolex Series.  Plus I believe Rolex gives a watch to first-time winners on PGA and LPGA tours so probably lots of conflicts in play. Lee Westwood (UPS) plays in the Fedex Cup.  I recall many years ago when Woods won the Mercedes Tournament of Champions (now sponsored by Sentry I believe) when he was with Buick.  When he won the tournament he got a check and a MB car.  He gave it to his mother so there might be some hidden contract legalities in play.  

I believe Westwood and Louis got grandfathered in with their UPS deals, but no new players are allowed. 

Interesting takes in here. I would be very curious to see what that contract actually looks like and what Tag will and will not allow him to do on a personal level. I imagine they restrict it for anything event related for being seen with anything but Tag, but highly doubt they extend it as far as personal life. 

On 3/21/2021 at 11:55 AM, FaReal87 said:

Players aren’t allowed to have UPS logos on their clothing (aside from westy and louis)

This is 100% correct. That is is correct is, to me, madness. Sure the Tour has to look after it’s own but with the players being independent contractors, preventing players from obtaining sponsorship from legitimate businesses seems to be a strange one.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

On 3/18/2021 at 6:07 PM, ASN21 said:

Yeah highly doubt you will see him wear a Rolex to dinner

I wouldn’t be so sure! I mean, how far do these things go? If Tommy wants to wear a Rolex to dinner, I am sure that he will. If Tiger wanted to drive an Escalade as opposed to a Buick he was perfectly entitled to. Jason Day has the Astra Zeneca logo on his bag. Would he have to get that vaccination as opposed to a Pfizer one?

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

1 hour ago, MattyO1984 said:

I wouldn’t be so sure! I mean, how far do these things go? If Tommy wants to wear a Rolex to dinner, I am sure that he will. If Tiger wanted to drive an Escalade as opposed to a Buick he was perfectly entitled to. Jason Day has the Astra Zeneca logo on his bag. Would he have to get that vaccination as opposed to a Pfizer one?

You must not understand how sponsorships work. If I worked for Tag and I wanted Tommy to join the team why the hell would I let him wear any other brand of watch? He is supposed to be repping Tag and if he is seen wearing a Rolex at dinner then that defeats the purpose of signing him. 

39 minutes ago, ASN21 said:

You must not understand how sponsorships work. If I worked for Tag and I wanted Tommy to join the team why the hell would I let him wear any other brand of watch? He is supposed to be repping Tag and if he is seen wearing a Rolex at dinner then that defeats the purpose of signing him. 

So tell me how was Tiger running around in a Cadillac and Mercedes Benz when he was with Buick? Was Andrew ‘Beef’ Johnson only supposed to eat Arby’s burgers or was the occasional McDonalds OK? Is Brooks Koepka only allowed to drink Michelob Ultra?

They are paying to associate themselves with these players when they are playing. That’s why the watch goes straight on when they finish. If away from the course the player wants to wear another watch, drive another car, eat a different burger or use a different financial service then they can do it.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

2 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

So tell me how was Tiger running around in a Cadillac and Mercedes Benz when he was with Buick? Was Andrew ‘Beef’ Johnson only supposed to eat Arby’s burgers or was the occasional McDonalds OK? Is Brooks Koepka only allowed to drink Michelob Ultra?

They are paying to associate themselves with these players when they are playing. That’s why the watch goes straight on when they finish. If away from the course the player wants to wear another watch, drive another car, eat a different burger or use a different financial service then they can do it.

You are wrong, it all depends on their contract for what they are allowed to do and not do. 

1 hour ago, ASN21 said:

You are wrong, it all depends on their contract for what they are allowed to do and not do. 

If I am wrong, then you could be wrong as well 👍🏼

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I cant get a cell phone to operate well for more than 24 months. Why would someone pay that kind of money for a smartwatch when the technology is outdated in a blink? I'm sure that 20 years from now, no one will be giving it to their kids to use. A nice automatic is a different story. 

WITB
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0*

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* 

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 19* 

Ping i525 4-UW

Titleist Vokey SM8- 54* and 58*

Custom Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

On 3/18/2021 at 7:30 AM, Twinsgroupie said:

I wouldn't call Tag a high end watch.  More like a brand that has lost it's way and still charges a premium for not a very premium product.  Maybe they will let him wear some vintage Heuer's now that would be cool!  

My thoughts is he should of pushed harder for an AP contract, now that's a premium brand 😃.  

Is this the most humble of all brags?

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

Clearly some misunderstanding on sponsorships and contracts and such. 

The idea that a Lexus sponsored player wouldn't be able to receive winnings from a Mercedes sponsored tourney seems a bit absurd. The players don't receive a check from Mercedes, they receive it from the PGA Tour. Mercedes pays the tour to have their name attached, they don't run the tourney. Frankly, if I were Lexus, I'd be happy to see my guy pull a million or so out of a competitor's pocket. 

That said, a contract CAN contain any reasonable terms both parties agree to. So who knows. 

For brand ambassadors, it really comes down the the contract. They could be structured a TON of different ways. The player might be required to have the product at press-covered events. Or just on the course. Or EVERYWHERE, with fines if they're caught using something else. It all comes down to what each side wants and how much it's worth to them. The popularity of the player will have a lot to do with the level of restrictions (and compensation). 

Are the players simply contractors? Sort of, but in order to participate in tour events, they have to have their cards which means they have to agree to the terms of the tour. The tour terms very likely give the organizers latitude regarding exclusivity in sponsorship. So while a UPS sponsored player may want to play in the FedEx Cup, they've also likely agreed to not wear lead sponsor competing branding during the tourney as part of their agreement to be a part of the tour. My expectation is even open events have restrictions laid out in the paperwork filled out in qualifiers. 

Edited by Jimmy Mac

My "guess"  is the players contract has wording in it that addresses conflict of interest between brands.  Companies are paying good money to the golfers. Its probably not strictly enforced until the press leaks a photo with a sponsored golfer using a competing product.  

This became apparent a couple weeks ago when on the Sunday round golfers were encouraged to wear red shirts to show sympathy for Woods accident.  One golfer was berated for not wearing red. If I recall he may have won or finished high on the leaderboard. He explained that he is contracted to wear certain logos on his shirt when playing official events.  He didn't elaborate on what penalties may occur for violating the contract. His clothes sponsor wasn't able to put together and deliver the properly marked red shirt by Sunday.  

Lots of backassward thinking here. 

It seems moronic that say if Player A is sponsored by Lexus, that Lexus would want them playing in the BMW Championship more than other tournaments. Why wouldn't you try to counter the advertising? If Player A wins, now your Lexus logo is visible in the same advertisement. They're not going to shop it out. 

Driver: Sim2 8* // Ventus Blue Velocore

FW: Sim 3 // Oban Devotion 

H: Sim 3/4  // Oban Devotion 

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 HMP // KBS Tour V

Wedges: Vokey 54M/58D

Putter: Spider X // SuperStroke 3

Ball: 2019 TP5x