A Great Shot in a Terrible Round

RSinSG

I've often thought about what it would be like to get a HIO while shooting a terrible score. As a single digit I'm not sure I'd want the publicity. Today in the league championship one of my buddies (10 hdcp) had an Albatross in the middle of an 87.  It was fun to watch and he was pretty pumped up, but then the next hole he had a double and two quads later in the round. He was pretty disappointed with his final score but having scored one of the hardest feats in golf he will remember the round forever.  As its frequently been said - Golf is a funny game. 

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

If it means I have to shoot 110 to get my first HIO, I'll take it.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

The last time I had a HIO I was not playing that well, but late on the front nine hit a beautiful shot that found the hole. As I made the turn and added up my score it occurred to me that this card with would be with me till I die, likely on my wall. I was 2 over my handicap for the nine despite the ace, so I figured I better get my act together a grind out a respectable score on the back. 

I did mange to have a good back and shoot under my handicap that day. 

• Like 1

Easy solution, throw out the card, keep the ball.

I keep score on my GPS unit anyway, so no cards for me anyway.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

15 hours ago, RSinSG said:

I've often thought about what it would be like to get a HIO while shooting a terrible score. As a single digit I'm not sure I'd want the publicity. Today in the league championship one of my buddies (10 hdcp) had an Albatross in the middle of an 87.  It was fun to watch and he was pretty pumped up, but then the next hole he had a double and two quads later in the round. He was pretty disappointed with his final score but having scored one of the hardest feats in golf he will remember the round forever.  As its frequently been said - Golf is a funny game. 

A couple of years back I was playing in my regular group (which typically has btw 15-20) and has a skins pot, closest to the pin pot, a points game and what we call a combo or spin bet.  I was playing awful and figuring I was going to lose everything I had in my wallet.  Hit a terrible drive on 18 into the right trees and left myself a narrow opening through the trees and back to the fairway.  I said the hell with it and decided to try and hit a big slice up and over the trees towards the green.  To this day it might be the best shot I ever hit.  Stuck it to about two feet and made the birdie.

The kicker: it was the only skin on the day (every other hole was cut by someone) so I won the entire skins pot.  Even losing money in every other bet I walked out of there with $80 bucks give or take.

• Like 2

It's probably a very common story, but my first round was with my dad and his pal. My dad has been a 28 his whole life, and his buddy was about a 14. To me he was like Seve that day! 

I bunted the ball around using my dad's blades for about 6 holes, racking up 7s, 8s and 9s, but when we got to the 7th Mark (Seve) and I happened to be near each other on the fairway after our tee shots. He let me have a swing with his CB 7 iron (I had no idea why it was different, of course), and I nutted it to four feet. That one shot was the one that made me fall in love with the game. 

• Like 2

In a tournament a couple of years back i made a 9 on a par 4 after just getting into all sorts of problems, and then followed it up with a double on the next. And it had only been a so-so round prior to that.

Suffice to say, a 90 was in play which i was none to pleased about. On the 16th hole i had about 225yds into a par 4, with OB in play down the right side and stakes on the left. In my head i said i'm either hitting my best shot of the day, or penciling in a 90+ and hanging my head in shame as i walk in after the round

I stuck it to 7 feet and made birdie!!! And finished with a MUCH less humiliating 85 

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

4 hours ago, dokex said:

Meaningless. A lucky shot or two in the middle of a bad round counts for nothing. Holes in one are very overrated for average golfers.

I won’t argue about a HIO, but not many average golfers are going to get a 2 on a par 5. 

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

8 hours ago, dokex said:

Meaningless. A lucky shot or two in the middle of a bad round counts for nothing. Holes in one are very overrated for average golfers.

No argument, but mine was at least on one of the few good swings I made that day.  I once witnessed a guy getting a HIO at a par 3 course when his ball bounced out of a tree that was left of the green, and I got a HIO on the same par 3 course on a hole where the tee sat way above the green, and I just tapped the ball off the tee and let it role down the hill.  It zig-zagged its way into the hole somehow.  But even for pros, I think a ball that goes into the hole from some distance requires a good deal of luck.  

This sounds like every round of golf I have ever played - although an extreme example of it. 

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

On 4/2/2021 at 7:31 AM, dokex said:

I wonder if most average golfers who have scored holes in one would agree with you that they're meaningless... I can think of a few reasons someone would say this, though...

• Someone who is an average golfer and has played for decades without scoring one might say they're meaningless as a defense mechanism for not having one.
  • Someone who is an extremely good golfer who has made one or several holes in one and believes that they're just one of the fun things that happen in the game but wants to pee in the punch bowl of the average golfers who get lucky. 
  • Someone who is an extremely good golfer, but has never made a hole in one, and is salty about "average" golfers who manage that lucky feat. 

I'm sure none of those describe you, though 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

10 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I wonder if most average golfers who have scored holes in one would agree with you that they're meaningless... I can think of a few reasons someone would say this, though...

• Someone who is an average golfer and has played for decades without scoring one might say they're meaningless as a defense mechanism for not having one.
  • Someone who is an extremely good golfer who has made one or several holes in one and believes that they're just one of the fun things that happen in the game but wants to pee in the punch bowl of the average golfers who get lucky. 
  • Someone who is an extremely good golfer, but has never made a hole in one, and is salty about "average" golfers who manage that lucky feat. 

I'm sure none of those describe you, though 😉

You are correct. I am an average golfer, at best. I have had three holes in one, and a double eagle.

I don't keep score and I play shot to shot. Some are good, some not so much. But learn from the bad ones and celebrate the good ones.

I like to think I will hole one some day. Maybe two, who knows. But it will be awesome and I will remember that for sure.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

• 2 weeks later...

I had a pretty awful scoring 9-hole round yesterday but I flushed my 3i off the tee on a short par 4 to pin high. It was worth the charge of the round.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

I played my first round of the year yesterday which is always interesting LOL....I shot 43 on the front and only hit 1 green. it was an adventure

the 10th hole was a 200yd par 3 playing straight into a 30-40km wind with a forced carry over water and bunkers. So suffice to say things were not looking up. 

I basically hit a 100% perfect 4 iron, just perfect contact, on a rope, dead straight...To about 15 feet. Missed the putt but tap in par and shot 36 on the back. 

Sometimes one shot just kinda turns it around

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I have six aces.  One with a putter in a High School match, two that were absolutely horrible shots(one hitting rocks short of the green, the other blown right up on the hill and ran back down into the hole) so I agree an ace is much easier to get than an albatross.  No HIO's in the last 20 years.  So yes two of the aces were in rounds I "accidently" lost the scorecard.  To be honest I don't even have the balls either.

Only one Albatross and it was in 2018 at Cherokee Run in Conyers.  I played below my handicap that day.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Three in one round. Played like a dog to shoot 82. 7 iron on a par 3. Tough pin into cool breeze. Flushed it to 6 feet and holed putt. $20 for getting a two. 30 yard chip and run after howking about in trees. Rolled up to a foot. Saved a bogey. 50 foot double breaker to 6 inches. The rest was poor. Hello practice range. 

Tiger said his goal is one good shot per round. He says if he hits 2, he's winning for sure. I figure if Tiger is happy with one good shot, then as long as I get one, I have no reason to complain.

<Edit> everybody knows how good your good is, but how good is your bad? That's golf.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

• 1 month later...

I'm lucky that I can lay claim to a HIO.

As a matter of fact it was a gorgeous 6-iron, too!

Unfortunately, it came during a period when I was struggling with shanks so, I don't even want to consider what that scorecard must've looked like, LOL. I just know I shanked 2 on the very next Par-3. It was absurd. 

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

On 6/2/2021 at 4:37 PM, MelloYello said:

I'm lucky that I can lay claim to a HIO.

As a matter of fact it was a gorgeous 6-iron, too!

Unfortunately, it came during a period when I was struggling with shanks so, I don't even want to consider what that scorecard must've looked like, LOL. I just know I shanked 2 on the very next Par-3. It was absurd. 

DISCLAIMER: This is a random association that popped in my mind when reading your post. In no way is this construed as a comment concerning your game!

Many years ago I got paired with a "20 handicap" sandbagger in a club match play, first round. He shot even par on the front nine and closed me out early, eight and six. 

He suggested we go ahead and play the last six holes just for fun, which was fine for me. The he mysteriously developed an awful case of the shanks on those six holes that didn't count. Took double and triple bogeys and posted an 89 for the round. Go figure.

I complained to the handicap committee, they docked him down to an 8 handicap and he ended up leaving the club a couple months later.