2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping i525???

hammergolf

28 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

If you can wait, you might want to check out the i210 replacement that is predicted to come out later this summer or fall. The i210's spin like crazy, too much for me actually, but they are super popular on a variety of tours. The i210 has to be one of the most played irons on the LPGA tour and I can't imagine Ping will venture too far from such a successful design.  

Good point.  I could also do retro lofts on the i525's and a bit spinnier shaft like the TT Elevate.  Lots to think about.

11 minutes ago, falken19150 said:

i525's were sent back. Just didnt perform anywhere near as good at my i210's..........

I would assume you'd hit the i525's about 15 yards further than your i210's. Did you also struggle with not enough spin or was it something else that was bothering you? 

2 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

I have 4 rounds under the belt now with the i525's. I can't say enough good things about them. High, long and they stop with zero issues. My biggest take away these last few rounds is the forgiveness. Somehow, I was fitted into 1/2" over standard length, I've played standard length my entire life. I am all over the face with my contact because I'm not used to that extra length on my irons. When I measured them, they are actually about 3/4" longer than my 2021 790's. With that being said, they are unbelievably, insanely forgiving. Even though I am not making the best contact the forgiveness packed in these irons are something I've never seen in such a compact iron profile. I have had 3 of my lowest scores this year even with the poor ball striking. 

I am dropping them off at Ping HQ tomorrow morning in order to bring them back to standard length. I can't wait to see how much better they will perform once I am playing the proper length. The gentleman I spoke with said they should be able to finish them the same day as well. 

Interestingly, my i525's are almost a half inch shorter than my G425's despite both being standard and listed on the Ping website as being the same length.

I don't think I care but I haven't played enough to know for sure.

Hopefully someone will be able to help.  I’ve picked my set up last week.  5 iron had a dent in it so that’s back to ping. 

My Wedge has a noticeable crescent shape line on the toe. Is this the weld line from the face to the body of the iron? And should I be worried? 

I’ve had a couple of range sessions at a trackman range and distance is up about 7 or 8 yards through the bag except for the wedge. I’m not bothered about the distance but this line has me wondering.

B5890B4A-5ADD-4215-8368-94A82E7B0A2E.jpeg

2 hours ago, kevinrobinson1982 said:

Hopefully someone will be able to help.  I’ve picked my set up last week.  5 iron had a dent in it so that’s back to ping. 

My Wedge has a noticeable crescent shape line on the toe. Is this the weld line from the face to the body of the iron? And should I be worried? 

I’ve had a couple of range sessions at a trackman range and distance is up about 7 or 8 yards through the bag except for the wedge. I’m not bothered about the distance but this line has me wondering.

Send that pic to customer service and see what they say about it.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

2 hours ago, kevinrobinson1982 said:

Not trying to stir the pot or spread rumors but a buddy of mine who is in the industry told me that Ping lost a large number of employees throughout the pandemic and had to hire quite a few people in a quick timeframe to keep the orders flowing, this has me wondering if their QC could take a hit because of it…

• Confused 3

I'm sure customer service will give an answer. Honestly my i500 looked slightly like that at first and just went away.  It was the weld line but the finish kind of wearing on the line... Wiped them clean, kept playing and never saw it again.  

Certainly weld failures possible, it's two pieces of steel welded together, not out of the realm of possibility.  Ping CS will handle...

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

23 hours ago, mrmikeac said:

Not trying to stir the pot or spread rumors but a buddy of mine who is in the industry told me that Ping lost a large number of employees throughout the pandemic and had to hire quite a few people in a quick timeframe to keep the orders flowing, this has me wondering if their QC could take a hit because of it…

1. I'm guessing that if it's even an issue at all, it came from China that way. Was your buddy talking about Ping in Arizona or how iron heads are made in China?

2. Did any manufacturer not lose a bunch of employees throughout the pandemic? Turnover is pretty darn high across every manufacturing sector. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 3:17 PM, AzSuperHack76 said:

Ok, took 1/2" off the irons, difference is night and day. Making solid contact now, defiantly more consistent. I'm a 6 handicap so I'm not wearing out the middle every time, but man, I feel like a new golfer. Range time this morning, absolutely perfect flight, straight to slight draw. I really was testing the entire face with the wrong length, but yet I had 3 of my better rounds this year. Can't wait to see what my next couple rounds are like. Kudo's to Ping's club repair shop, dropped them off yesterday morning and had them that afternoon. 

I had struggled with consistent contact with the i525s over my first round and a couple range sessions. After reading your situation, I compared the length of them vs. my old gamer G425s with Arccos grips. Sure enough, I was gripping too close to the butt end of the i525…a situation remedied almost immediately by sliding my hands down about 1/4”.

Also, I weighed my G425 7-iron with Arccos grips and Modus 105 vs the i525 7-iron w/ the Project X IO 6.0, standard grip, and a screw-in Arccos sensor. The i525 club is 21 grams heavier.

Excellent clubs though. Some of the best ball flights I’ve ever had when I hit them well.  

42 minutes ago, nvp37j said:

I had struggled with consistent contact with the i525s over my first round and a couple range sessions. After reading your situation, I compared the length of them vs. my old gamer G425s with Arccos grips. Sure enough, I was gripping too close to the butt end of the i525…a situation remedied almost immediately by sliding my hands down about 1/4”.

Also, I weighed my G425 7-iron with Arccos grips and Modus 105 vs the i525 7-iron w/ the Project X IO 6.0, standard grip, and a screw-in Arccos sensor. The i525 club is 21 grams heavier.

Excellent clubs though. Some of the best ball flights I’ve ever had when I hit them well.  

Yeah, I’m much more comfortable now. Played a round yesterday and everything was back to normal. These irons remind n my e of the g425’s. Point and hit, super easy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2022 at 12:00 PM, AzSuperHack76 said:

Yeah, I’m much more comfortable now. Played a round yesterday and everything was back to normal. These irons remind n my e of the g425’s. Point and hit, super easy. 

Got a few more rounds in with them. Love em. Some of the easiest compact irons to hit. About a half to full club longer than the 790’s. More forgiving than the 790’s, especially out towards the toe. I had issues over drawing the ball with the 790’s, i525’s just want to go straight, the exaggerated draw I had is now gone. I’m not sure if the less offset has something to do with that. Just a stupid easy iron to hit. 

• Like 3

It also may be of interest that G730 popped on the trademarks recently. Pretty sure that'll be 3-6 months out. The 710s were the longest in the tooth, so maybe those looking at 525s might also consider a 7-series for a long iron. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 4:12 PM, karstens_ghost said:

It also may be of interest that G730 popped on the trademarks recently. Pretty sure that'll be 3-6 months out. The 710s were the longest in the tooth, so maybe those looking at 525s might also consider a 7-series for a long iron. 

Something I wanted to do with the i525s I ordered (still a couple weeks out apparently), but they were no longer selling the G710s, so I just went G425 5i powerspec, but something I'll consider once they're released for sure.

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

i am still loving my 921 Forged, but the i525 and cobra Forged Tec have me interested. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 11:05 AM, AzSuperHack76 said:

Got a few more rounds in with them. Love em. Some of the easiest compact irons to hit. About a half to full club longer than the 790’s. More forgiving than the 790’s, especially out towards the toe. I had issues over drawing the ball with the 790’s, i525’s just want to go straight, the exaggerated draw I had is now gone. I’m not sure if the less offset has something to do with that. Just a stupid easy iron to hit. 

As a current player of the i500, I love the forgiveness but am constantly scared of the 20+ yard "flier" that those clubs produce.  Was this fixed in the i525?  They seem like an improvement, but if you still have to "fear the flier" then it's not worth it. 

• Like 1

Can’t speak to that, but the sound/feel issue was not fixed with the i525. I bought a set, and took the 7 iron to the range. After about 10 shots, I put it back in the bag. I just can’t do that hollow click. Put them on bst, so if someone wants a great deal on a set they are there. Now, I will say they were very easy to hit and look great. 

49 minutes ago, tjrbu said:

As a current player of the i500, I love the forgiveness but am constantly scared of the 20+ yard "flier" that those clubs produce.  Was this fixed in the i525?  They seem like an improvement, but if you still have to "fear the flier" then it's not worth it. 

I never experienced fliers with the 500 when I had them. Haven’t with these either, front to back dispersion has been great for me so far. 

Sound and feel has definitely been fixed with the 525’s compared to the 500’s, and honestly it’s not close. Just as a comparison my buddy still games the 500’s. We played the other day and I hit multiple shots on course side by side with TM TP5X balls with his 500’s vs my 525’s. The 525’s have a muted click and the 500’s have a loud “thwack”, the 525’s in turn feel “softer”, guessing that’s due to the sound as well. Sound and feel is subjective of course and I don’t doubt @hammergolf experience. They aren’t a true forged iron, just like the 790’s you’re not going to have a true forged feel and sound.  You’ll find a ton of reviews and and opinions that state it has improved over the 500.

1 minute ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

I never experienced fliers with the 500 when I had them. Haven’t with these either, front to back dispersion has been great for me so far. 

Sound and feel has definitely been fixed with the 525’s compared to the 500’s, and honestly it’s not close. Just as a comparison my buddy still games the 500’s. We played the other day and I hit multiple shots on course side by side with TM TP5X balls with his 500’s vs my 525’s. The 525’s have a muted click and the 500’s have a loud “thwack”, the 525’s in turn feel “softer”, guessing that’s due to the sound as well. Sound and feel is subjective of course and I don’t doubt @hammergolf experience. They aren’t a true forged iron, just like the 790’s you’re not going to have a true forged feel and sound.  You’ll find a ton of reviews and and opinions that state it has improved over the 500.

If they sounded/felt like my PXG or even 790s they would go in the bag. I’m an admitted “Ping guy” for over 30+ years, but I just can’t get over the sound and feel. Hopefully I’ll find a buyer for my i525s and look at the i230s in the fall. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

If they sounded/felt like my PXG or even 790s they would go in the bag. I’m an admitted “Ping guy” for over 30+ years, but I just can’t get over the sound and feel. Hopefully I’ll find a buyer for my i525s and look at the i230s in the fall. 

You will for sure, they are great irons. I’ll be interested in the 230’s as well. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by AzSuperHack76

55 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Can’t speak to that, but the sound/feel issue was not fixed with the i525. I bought a set, and took the 7 iron to the range. After about 10 shots, I put it back in the bag. I just can’t do that hollow click. Put them on bst, so if someone wants a great deal on a set they are there. Now, I will say they were very easy to hit and look great. 

You are the first ive read that said the sound and feel wasn’t improved.  

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

20 minutes ago, Minarets said:

You are the first ive read that said the sound and feel wasn’t improved.  

It may be that I just really don’t like that sound/feel or maybe I was expecting them to not feel in any way like the i500 did. If I played with ear plugs they would be in the bag. They look great, perform great, and are easy to hit. 

Edited by hammergolf

On 4/19/2022 at 5:12 PM, karstens_ghost said:

Was told definitely not this year for the 730.  But I have “misunderstood” 😂 before according to source.  

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35"