PGL offers DJ, Rose $30 million each (***MERGED***)

JaNelson38

Found this guys ghost account...

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

PGA tour can make all of this go away by just guaranteeing more money to top players. Take the top 10-20 players in the world and give them large bonuses at the end of the year. Have some hidden incentives for talking to media / instagram stuff....and this is all over.

Every sports league is like this now. NFL pays QB's 20x what other guys get. The NBA has become a 3-max guy league where rosters are filled out with rookie deals and veteran mins

PGA tour needs to do this.

• Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

4 minutes ago, ChillyDipper said:

You mentioned you do no interest in "teams" of golfers.  Does that mean you don't like the Ryder/President/Walker/NCAA/Solheim cups?

For me, I'd at least like to see what this is all about in reality before poo-pooing the idea.  Surely can't be less interesting that some of the weeks on Tour.

Not comparable at all to those events and for different reasons for the pro match play events vs. college sports, IMO.  

Phil, Rahm, Rickie and Streelman in a perpetual round robin kind of whatever -- "now starting on the 7th tee . . . " To me, yes, much less interesting, but every other page of the Kama Sutra looks like just another way to pull a hammy to me, lol.

Those that enjoy will most certainly watch - more power to them. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Found this guys ghost account...

If you're referring to me, far from it.  I was against the SGL due the bonesaw money, but I'm all for something new as an alternative to the PGA Tour.  I don't have a horse in the game, but I do find it strange that people would come outright and say they wouldn't watch it (which I don't believe) before they have even seen what it would be.  To each, his own.

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

PGA tour can make all of this go away by just guaranteeing more money to top players. Take the top 10-20 players in the world and give them large bonuses at the end of the year. Have some hidden incentives for talking to media / instagram stuff....and this is all over.

Every sports league is like this now. NFL pays QB's 20x what other guys get. The NBA has become a 3-max guy league where rosters are filled out with rookie deals and veteran mins

The PGA Tour has already set up a special fund for these top players. I think they will also make another last ditch effort with even more cash if any of the big names not named Phil Mickelson try to leave. The new PGA Tour tv deal was 70% more than the last one. They money is there. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I guess I would say this thing has legs except for the fact that they currently have:

No players

No teams

No sponsors

No TV contracts

No schedule

No venues

So basically they have everything they had a year ago / five years ago - a lot of words.

• Haha 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

45 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

I guess I would say this thing has legs except for the fact that they currently have:

No players

No teams

No sponsors

No TV contracts

No schedule

No venues

So basically they have everything they had a year ago / five years ago - a lot of words.

If anything, there’s only going to be one separate league. I don’t think this group can compete with Saudi money. 

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

52 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

The PGA Tour has already set up a special fund for these top players. I think they will also make another last ditch effort with even more cash if any of the big names not named Phil Mickelson try to leave. The new PGA Tour tv deal was 70% more than the last one. They money is there. 

Exactly agreed, It's what i've said most of this thread. The "threat" of this exposed the PGA tour a bit, it was a dated model when you compare it to modern sports for better or worse. Top players want guaranteed money and lots of it. If ratings go up every time 2-3 guys are in events, those guys will want more than just "you gotta play well to get a big cheque"

The PGA tour has and will likely continue to change compensation in order to keep people happy

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, Holy Moses said:

The money is there, but where is it going?  Perhaps building a new PGA Tour Headquarters with a moat is a bad look.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/foster-partners-unveils-design-new-pga-tour-headquarters

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

The tour pros enjoy great flexibility in their schedules. They need to play 15 events, 4 are majors. The tour is event driven really. 

It’s not like MLB where it’s a job, you have an employer, you have to go to practice, you have to play 100 whatever games.

In fact, what if they lowered the lifetime exemption to say…12 wins, guys like JT and Spieth would be locked in and good players would have a realistic goal to be set for life and have complete flexibility in their schedules. 

4 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

The tour pros enjoy great flexibility in their schedules. They need to play 15 events, 4 are majors. The tour is event driven really. 

It’s not like MLB where it’s a job, you have an employer, you have to go to practice, you have to play 100 whatever games.

In fact, what if they lowered the lifetime exemption to say…12 wins, guys like JT and Spieth would be locked in and good players would have a realistic goal to be set for life and have complete flexibility in their schedules. 

The flexibility of schedule is a big plus. But the tour seems to want their cake and eat it too sometimes. Not really a common practice to threaten independant contractors with banishment from your company if they take contracts for another company that is in your field.

• Like 2

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It's interesting to think about all the co-dependent relationships that exist between the Tour and the players at different levels of accomplishment and popularity. I think any "super-tour" will struggle if they can't solve these issues. 

For instance...

• The Tour needs the big draw players to drive ratings and justify the TV money. The big draw players need the Tour to create the events where they compete, win big purses and derive their star power. The super tour would hope to have this element. 
  • The Tour also needs the second tier players who maybe aren't household names but are ranked high enough to pump up the fields of the weaker events. Without them the Tour is presenting quite a weak field at the events the stars don't bother to play. This is vital to the sponsorships and tie-ins with corporate partners. No one wants to play a pro-am with a pro they've never heard of or seen on TV. These players probably need the Tour as much or more than the really big name players. The super tour probably won't have this. 
  • Finally the Tour needs the next 100-150 or so people in the OWGR so they can always have a field of 120-140 players who can be competitive any given week. Some of those guys play wherever they can get in, whether it's on the Tour or the secondary tour. If the Tour can fill a field with people in the top 250 of the OWGR list and also attract 4-6 of the first or second tier players they have a field people will pay attention to. The super tour would definitely not have this. 

If you have a super tour that pulls only from the top of the rankings, and you pay those players massive appearance fees to show up and play, you're going to end up with events that lack a lot of competitive excitement. At the very least it will get boring fast. Fields will live and die by whether or not 5-6 key players are there to participate. The events will feel a lot closer to the Battle at Bighorn than the Players' Championship. 

Golf on TV is a unique property in that viewers are likely to tune into the same content for a few days in a row. This is comparable to playoff series in other sports, or the World Cup. You get a very desirable demographic in front of network television for a few days in a row and advertisers are licking their chops. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

1 minute ago, MtlJeff said:

The flexibility of schedule is a big plus. But the tour seems to want their cake and eat it too sometimes. Not really a common practice to threaten independant contractors with banishment from your company if they take contracts for another company that is in your field.

Maybe, unless the competitive company is literally trying to use the contractors to steal your franchise. In that case you're likely to think twice. 

I think people underestimate the Tour's value as a personality-building machine. Think about players like Beef and Finau. These guys have had their moments of brilliance on the course and we get excited to see their name on the leaderboard, but their resumes are pretty thin compared to other players with similar name and likeness recognition.

The Tour has sold us a story about these guys and made them relatable. They can do this over and over again. If Rickie and Bubba were gone tomorrow the Tour would have them replaced in our collective imagination by this time next year. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

14 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

This model reminds me of a US based supplemental insurance company. Good way to make enemies out of former employees really

1 minute ago, MtlJeff said:

The Tour is the players. Unlike the team sports, there's no franchise owners in golf (other than perhaps the players themselves... but it is a stretched analogy). Unlike the WWE, there is no owner or shareholders.

Members of the association enjoy a lot of benefits during their careers (developmental tours, champions tour, super gold-plated pension plan, etc). It doesn't seem unreasonable for the association to take measures to protect the means of generating those benefits. 

Fundamentally, the PGL business plan seems to boil down to "rich dudes who will just keep writing cheques". That never works in the long run. 

• Like 1

BTW its always hilarious to me that the arguments we end up making somehow make it sound like these PGA Tour guys are making $8 an hour flipping burgers and shoveling fries. To me the Tour is in exactly no danger whatsoever. 

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

How far down the Top 200 money list do you think you'd have to go to get 48 guys to take part in this?

• Thanks 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

16 minutes ago, cdnglf said:

Fundamentally, the PGL business plan seems to boil down to "rich dudes who will just keep writing cheques". That never works in the long run. 

It would probably look a lot like Formula 1, financially speaking. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

3 hours ago, me05501 said:

It would probably look a lot like Formula 1, financially speaking. 

I know very little about F1, but roughly... F1 itself is an independent for-profit entity, the teams are separate for-profit entities, and the drivers are employees of the teams? 

Difficult to see the advantages of an approach like that for pro golf.

Edited by cdnglf
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

That’s a good option for the Tour when you have a big tv deal recently inked, your sponsors are nervous, and your spot as the number one golf tour is threatened. 

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

3 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

How far down the Top 200 money list do you think you'd have to go to get 48 guys to take part in this?

200. If the PGA Tour kicks you out and you suck in the PGL, the PGL will replace you. How’s the Japan Tour pay scale these days? 

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

4 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Members with obligations and privileges via membership.

Who do get “cheques” - love the Queen’s English!

Edited by Hawkeye77

58 minutes ago, cdnglf said:

I know very little about F1, but roughly... F1 itself is an independent for-profit entity, the teams are separate for-profit entities, and the drivers are employees of the teams? 

Difficult to see the advantages of an approach like that for pro golf.

Here's a bit of education on it. It's different from any other sports league you might find...but I would guess it's a model for what the Saudi's would try to do. Our first clue is the offer of guaranteed money to the players. 

https://www.watsonpost.com/how-does-formula-one-make-money/

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

13 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

I wonder if the PGL got Tiger to sign up ...... would the ruling body allow him to play the Majors. I don't think that will happen but the PGATOUR would have to re-think their position.

Tiger aint going to the PGL. One win away from beating Snead's record and you're going to play on made-for-tv specials every week? We talk about the PGL and SL trying to get the big guys. Sure they are trying to. Guess also what...Tiger is bigger than the PGL and doesn't need them. 

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

28 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

I wonder if the PGL got Tiger to sign up ...... would the ruling body allow him to play the Majors. I don't think that will happen but the PGATOUR would have to re-think their position.

Isn’t he in them all and pretty much guaranteed for a few more years? Augusta will continue to invite. 

Don’t see that affecting what the Tour does with the events it controls. 

28 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

Yes, he has exemptions to all of them. I guess they could kick Tiger off the PGA Tour, that would be something. But I don’t think it’s a requirement to be on the PGA Tour to play in the majors. 

• Like 1

• 1t2golf changed the title to PGL offers DJ, Rose $30 million each (***MERGED***)