2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Forward press ... yay or nay?

I've used a forward press on EVERY golf swing for the last 30 years ... pitches, putts, chips, iron shots, drives ... you name it.

This year, I played around with taking the press out of the putting stroke, and it's helped immensely with my speed control - I THINK because I'm more consistent with my loft at contact.

Now I'm wondering, is the press hurting me with my full swing? I've been playing with taking it out, and it seems to help with my shot dispersion ... but it's going to take a lot of work to get used to it. I'm a sub 4.0 handicap, and I'm OLD ... is it worth the work to try and get rid of the press, or do I just keep it? Anybody have any experience?

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

38 minutes ago, GQ0208 said:

It has helped me with my swing at times but I can’t do it with my putter. I’ve read books and watched videos by great putters and most of them forward press. It just throws my aim off every time I try. 

Same, not a forward press guy with putter, maybe a tap on the ground as a trigger.

For swings I do have a little fwd press as a trigger... except in bunkers!

I was interested to see what Matt Wolff did in a fwy bunker but of course no preshot turn to the target there!

OP, if it's taking focus away from your intent towards the target or what you're trying to do with the ball, I say stick with your move.

Edited by joostin
  • Like 1

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 4W TEE CBX 119, OG HZ Black 75 6.5 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, HZ Black RDX 90 6.5 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, LAB DF3, Axis1 Rose. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

I find it best to forward press as part of the setup not as part of the putting motion.  When you make it part of the motion it's easier for it to cause face alignment issues.  When it's part of the setup you can make sure the face is square before you take it back.  Also, I think a lot of people overdo the amount of forward press which can cause shoulder alignment issues leading to path problems and speed control problems.  

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

• 1 month later...

I just tried out a forward press yesterday and see it helped me a great deal. I already play with my hands forward but have not been able to master the forward press until I realized the left hand needs to turn over while I'm doing the press, like Daly, Johnson and Finau. 

To me the advantage of the forward press is it helps with mechanics to open the clubface early while allowing the weight to stay centered or on the right side as it is only for a moment. Previously I have played with my hands from a forward press position but had issues with getting my weight on the right side. I think those players with a strong right hand action may benefit getting the clubface open very early.

• Like 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

I think if you have been forward pressing for so long it's something natural in your swing.  Probably you shouldn't focus on that as an issue, especially because you'll get back to it unconsciously under pressure.  Hand or knee forward press become second nature on many good golfers.  

• Like 1

Waggle

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5

4W Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

1 hour ago, naval2006 said:

I think if you have been forward pressing for so long it's something natural in your swing.  Probably you shouldn't focus on that as an issue, especially because you'll get back to it unconsciously under pressure.  Hand or knee forward press become second nature on many good golfers.  

I expect for many good golfers it is natural. I wish I could say my swing was natural, maybe coming through impact but my setup and takeaway are anything but natural otherwise I rarely hit it well.

But there is hope - Ben Hogan said the swing is not natural. I don't believe he was referring to the downswing (for the most part), just the setup, takeaway and backswing. In my opinion a lot of people trying to learn the swing are focusing on the downswing when they should be taking Hogan's approach.

• Like 1

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

22 hours ago, Zitlow said:

Step left, step right and you're creating momentum. Snead's backswing pivot is pretty much on auto pilot. It's a shift, tilt and turn blended together in sequential order. 

676629455_SneadForwardPress.gif.2538f306d347136de02ee28351be9160.gif

I find myself doing something similar when I'm swinging well, as well as a waggle. The other day at the range it was a forward press. I think maybe I just need something to start as they say. 

• Like 1

Notes:

Nothing wrong with a forward press.  You see a lot of tour players sorta do it to give them some momentum going forward (towards the target) so they get some extra force going back (away from the target) in the backswing.  I think the same goes with putting.  Crenshaw talks about how he is just trying to get the putter head 'behind' the hands in the backstroke and then the putter will basically stroke itself thru in the thru stroke.  So using a forward press can help get the putter head 'behind' the hands earlier.  The key is to not sustain that forward shaft lean at impact.

RH

• 1 year later...
On 8/26/2021 at 12:43 AM, Zitlow said:

Step left, step right and you're creating momentum. Snead's backswing pivot is pretty much on auto pilot. It's a shift, tilt and turn blended together in sequential order. 

676629455_SneadForwardPress.gif.2538f306d347136de02ee28351be9160.gif

I used to find a forward press difficult but have started to use a slight right knee kick forward as a trigger to start the back swing especially off the tee. It seems to help eliminate a tendency I had to too often slightly sway too much  keeping me more centered as well as probably helping to set the rhythm of the swing.

Edited by Nickc
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 9:13 PM, tatertot said:

I've used a forward press on EVERY golf swing for the last 30 years ... pitches, putts, chips, iron shots, drives ... you name it.

This year, I played around with taking the press out of the putting stroke, and it's helped immensely with my speed control - I THINK because I'm more consistent with my loft at contact.

Now I'm wondering, is the press hurting me with my full swing? I've been playing with taking it out, and it seems to help with my shot dispersion ... but it's going to take a lot of work to get used to it. I'm a sub 4.0 handicap, and I'm OLD ... is it worth the work to try and get rid of the press, or do I just keep it? Anybody have any experience?

I do a forward press, but mostly I use it as a swing trigger.  

Driver:  TaylorMade Sim2 Max / 10 Deg / Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / Lamkin Crossline
3W:  Titleist TSR3 HL  / 16.5 Deg / ProjectX HZRDUS Black 4g Stiff / Lamkin Crossline

7W:  Titleist TSR2  /  20.25 Deg  / Mitsubishi Tensei Blue AV 65 Stiff  /  Lamkin Crossline

9W:  Titleist TSR1  /  23 Deg  /  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue AV 75 Stiff  /  Lamkin Crossline

5i - 7i:  Sub70 659CB Raw  /  KBS Tour-V 90 Black PVD Steel Stiff /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

8i - GW:  Sub70 659TC Raw  /  KBS Tour-V 90 Black PVD Steel Stiff  /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

SW:  Sub70 JB Forged Wedge Full Groove Raw 55 Deg  /  KBS Tour-V 130 Black PVD Steel X-Stiff 8i soft stepped  /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

LW:  Sub70 JB Forged Wedge Full Groove Raw 60 Deg  /  KBS Tour-V 130 Black PVD Steel X-Stiff 8i soft stepped  /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Putter:  Bell Putters Bell 410