Pigskin Pick 'em Party

greenemachine

13 minutes ago, greenemachine said:

P3P, a man of many talents. I would have never taken you as someone that played football as a kid. For some reason I had you pegged as a baseball kid. Here I am thinking you were like Ham, the catcher from the Sandlot, a smart mouth ball player looking to always getting into the opponents heads... even if that was talking about their mama. Instead you're out on the gridiron playing a little fullback providing the thunder to the speddy running backs lightning. I see you P3P. 

I should clarify, BSC didn't play very little football, I did.  I played baseball for a bit, and did catch/first base through high school, but I only played because friends played, I thought baseball was slow and dumb.  My sports growing up were hockey and soccer.  I ended up playing D3 soccer for 4 years, and it was a wonderful time.  I started golfing because one of my friends dad's wanted his kid to get into it, so we were going to a posh CC in Steeltown (Forged Forever's club), and what we realized was, we had 2-4 hours with no oversight so we would purposefully hit balls into the woods so we could "search for it."  The groups behind us must have wondered why all of us would go into the woods after rooting around in our bags.

As kids we would head over to the neighborhood street football games (which I loved because there was no contact), and I would be tossing footballs to the sprinting Rooneys, though in truth I was second string.  If John was there, I didn't get to throw, I was the receiver.  When your 9-13 years old, and your hucking pigskins with the Rooneys, it was two feet down, none of that simplistic college one foot down.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, touch said:

Another hold out from getting vaccinated. Idiot. Cam and Cousins are just a couple of beauts. 

'Misunderstanding' over COVID-19 testing away from facility to keep New England Patriots' Cam Newton out until Thursday

Earlier in training camp when Newton was asked if he was vaccinated, he declined comment, saying it was a personal matter.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32071688/misunderstanding-covid-19-tests-away-facility-keep-new-england-patriots-cam-newton-thursday

....personal matter perhaps Cam and Kirk, but when you are on a team playing professional sports getting paid millions to do so you get onboard and do the right thing. Stop the hold out boys and get the damn shot.  Jeeez 

Actually Cam went to be tested, he just went to a place outside of an NFL facility and therefore had to sit 5 days for doing so to come back in. Still bonehead should know the rules. 

• Like 3

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

I played soccer. Started four years. Some basketball. Little else.  To skinny in H.S. to play any football. Came in freshman year at 6ft. 142#. I was so skinny I didn't have any skin. 

• Haha 4

Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

54 minutes ago, Qqq123xx said:

I played soccer. Started four years. Some basketball. Little else.  To skinny in H.S. to play any football. Came in freshman year at 6ft. 142#. I was so skinny I didn't have any skin. 

Ah that explains the soccer fandom there Q man. I had a sneaky feeling that you once played a little soccer at one point. Basketball though? Shocked. Didn't expect that at all. I just figured it was soccer and cross country and/ or track and field for the Q man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qqq123xx said:

Actually Cam went to be tested, he just went to a place outside of an NFL facility and therefore had to sit 5 days for doing so to come back in. Still bonehead should know the rules. 

Q man I think the only "misunderstanding" there in New England is having Cam under center. 😂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

gm! Was holding down the fort at OLB in a 4-4 in Uncle Rico days. 

My specialty was blasting running backs coming across the line of scrimmage running passing routes ; )

Respect. All gas no brakes going North South through the gaps and cracking skulls in the process. Those were the glory days. I too played football growing up and throughout high school. Playing some Defensive Tackle then to Left Tackle and some here and there Tight End before it was all said and done. I never once ate the food in the school cafeteria because on gameday I knew I would get a sack lunch. Loved playing then, love watching it now. HTTR

Edited by greenemachine
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, greenemachine said:

Love it! One of these days we're gonna have to hear an old war tale from your OLB days. 

Ok, silly but one my favorites

This one team we knew from watching films would send a back out of the backfield into the flats. He’d run up, hit you like he was blocking, then try slip out the the flat.

So, guy comes out, runs up to me and I blasted him, he like levitated into mid air and lands flat on his back.

So, that Monday, we are watching films of the game and coach queues up the film and keeps playing and rewinding my hit, lol. You can see the action in forward and reverse, over and over! The guy keeps levitating when I pop him, lands on his back, then he levitates up off his back as coach rewinds, repeat, repeat. 

We were all dying laughing eating sandwiches 🤣

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Ok, silly but one my favorites

This one team we knew from watching films would send a back out of the backfield into the flats. He’d run up, hit you like he was blocking, then try slip out the the flat.

So, guy comes out, runs up to me and I blasted him, he like levitated into mid air and lands flat on his back.

So, that Monday, we are watching films of the game and coach queues up the film and keeps playing and rewinding my hit, lol. You can see the action in forward and reverse, over and over! The guy keeps levitating when I pop him, lands on his back, then he levitates up off his back as coach rewinds, repeat, repeat. 

We were all dying laughing eating sandwiches 🤣

Running Backs? AM I right? 😄

Them and the wideouts think they are the gridiron gods gift to the game. Pfft

Like Mike Tyson said "everybody's got a plan, until they get hit."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Qqq123xx said:

So that was you on the bike in Mich Commish's picture Q man, just you back in high school. 😂

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2021 at 2:29 PM, Qqq123xx said:

That was a seriously most excellent write up GM. The beauty about R. Moss was Brady would just go 'run real fast down right half of field, left half of field, or cross field and I will throw it a long way and you can catch it.' Unfortunately RM wasn't around for 10 years. Imagine if he had. 

I am drafting Hunter Henry in the 18th round as my TE 2 in Best ball drafts He will be inserted into the Gronkowski routes. J Smith will not be the primary TE target. New England is going to be sneaky good with their defense and arsenal of running backs. If Buffalo falters a little bit the Pats will be there to pounce! Injuries unfortunately ruin many teams chances. If Diggs goes down E Sanders will be the Bills primary receiver he is good but old. This will force J Allen to run more than he should be.  Patriots defense should be pretty stout. 

Anyone have a Top 3 most improved teams outlook?

I am tempted to say

Minnesota, San Francisco, Jacksonville

• Like 4

Tomorrow I will tell you about the two H.S. sports I tried to be average in and failed. Well I at least made the golf team my sophomore year and lettered in golf my junior and senior year. Well my other two?........No soccer, No baseball, No water polo, No swimming. No tennis. 

Wed. you'll hear of the 5' 11" 151 pounder's attempts. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 2

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

Just after lunch I get the text that my round on my favorite course in Asheville is cancelled. Some member tee times popped up and we would not have gotten off util 5 pm. So the scramble was on to find a replacement course to play. I did not know that #1 golf buddy was bringing a visitor from out of state. After the first 2 courses we wanted had nothing available I suggested Reems Creek. Yes the same course that I have a tee time tomorrow morning at. We snagged a 3:30 tee time. Reems as many of you know is in my 3 favorite tracks with CCA and Tryon. Due to the fact that this course is way across town from me and I want to be on the range at 8AM before my round tomorrow I will have to give you a double recap tomorrow. Two rounds, back to back days on the same golf course? I don't believe I have done that all year. It was hot y'all playing late in the afternoon. It hit 90*.  But it was gorgeous as usual out in Weaverville, NC. 

I DID NOT experience any cramping. I made a bigger effort to stay hydrated. I did stretch often during the round as well.

Stan brought Rob from Pennsylvania. Rob and his wife were vacationing in Asheville for a few days and his best friend connected him with Stan for his one round while in town. Rob was an excellent player and fun dude to golf with. He really enjoyed Reems Creek.  I now have a cool guy to play with if ever I decide to golf in Pittsburgh. The three F & B guys had a blast playing almost until sunset. That is a very special golf course.  

Talk with you gents tomorrow. I'll have some Pittsburgh stuff for all of you. Or should I say YINZ?   😄 

Edited by touch
  • Like 4

Pete, Rob was from South Side. 

21 hours ago, greenemachine said:

Q man I think the only "misunderstanding" there in New England is having Cam under center. 😂

You will be eating your words. And NO condiments allowed.  😝

• Haha 2

Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

19 hours ago, greenemachine said:

Running Backs? AM I right? 😄

Them and the wideouts think they are the gridiron gods gift to the game. Pfft

Like Mike Tyson said "everybody's got a plan, until they get hit."

Ya, we had this kid who played WR, blonde, total preppy kid, his nickname was “glory boy”

No to be confused with our QB, “golden boy” lol

We had nicknames for everyone, bunch I can’t repeat here. Lol

Oh, this one kid showed up late for first day of practice so coaches made him wear a helmet with no facemask. His new name was,

Bullet man 🤣 He pretty much looked like

9E034165-FBC2-4B00-81CF-9F924C0EFF47.jpeg

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, NCLancer said:

Thanks for telling me fellow LP . 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Ya, we had this kid who played WR, blonde, total preppy kid, his nickname was “glory boy”.

No to be confused with our QB, “golden boy” lol

We had nicknames for everyone, bunch I can’t repeat here. Lol

Oh, this one kid showed up late for first day of practice so coaches made him wear a helmet with no facemask. His new name was,

Bullet man 🤣 He pretty much looked like

9E034165-FBC2-4B00-81CF-9F924C0EFF47.jpeg

Beats “glory hole”. 😆 That would be a story I wouldn’t want to hear!!! 😖 🤣

• Haha 4

Consistently Inconsistent

That is how I was over my two rounds the past two days at Reems Creek in Weaverville, NC. fifteen miles north of downtown Asheville.

Forward tees

5796 yds.

LOTS of elevation changes

Some of the deepest rough all over the course and around the greens of any course I play and this week it was wet. The course was really soaked in a lot of areas. The greens were extra receptive.

I feel fortunate to have gotten in the two rounds following all the rain our area experienced last week. It was hot both days. 90* yesterday and 88* today. Mostly sunny skies and humid. Not a breeze. I feel a little weak in the middle of the back 9's both days due to the sweltering conditions. I hydrated well drinking loads of coconut water and gatorade. I only had one cramp grab me in the 36 holes and that was today on a short par 3 when I swung a 9 iron to a nice high finish and once I got to the top........got cha.....Ouch!  It took 5 minutes of stretching to rid myself of that discomfort.

I decided this week to ditch the herb and go with one beer per nine holes as often when it is rather hot and I get stoned on the course dizziness occurs. Yesterday I started out with 3 bogey's and then got somewhat steady. I stuck a 9 iron to a foot on hole #8 for birdie (sadly my only birdie of the week). I made the turn with a 38 and a one shot lead over the Pittsburgh visiting guy and two better than no. 1 golf buddy. Then things really turned. My opponents got real hot and my wheels came off. Both of them birdied 10 and 11 and 12 where I went bogey, par, double. I started missing greens and putting myself in bad places around the greens in the heavy rough that this course is known for. I did though hit 4 great lob wedges that I nearly drained for birdie over the two days and executed a pair of difficult bunker shots for saves. I just made it messy after my tee shots so often. I posted 9 over on the back for an 83 on the day. Rob the Steeler fan shot 76 on his first go at Reems. Stan the Massachusetts man shot 79.

Rob owned a bar in Pittsburgh on Carson street and has been in the business for decades. Besides being a fine player he was a cool cat to hang with. Carson Street he said has hundreds of liquor's license's in a few city blocks. It is situated between the U. of Pitts and Carnegie Mellon. I asked if he still had Iron City on tap. His reply was LP Pittsburgh has shunned the brand. Once AB bought IC and closed the brewery and started making the suds in St. Louis nobody wanted to patronize the stuff. I asked what local brews were popular in his place and he said some products from Southern Tier Brewery. He said their location was downtown right between the Pirates and Terrible Towels places.He told me there were multiple locations of that brewery in PGH and the Mistake by the Lake. So if I ever get up to Steeltown I would enjoy playing another round with Rob and having some drinks at his downtown Pittsburgh establishment. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Today Miami Vice and the hippie rolled in from Marshall, NC to take on Stan and myself. Hot outside again and a wet juicy golf course once more. I started out with 6 straight pars and then a couple of bogies, again I made the turn with a 38. Wouldn't ya know it I upchucked bad once more on the back. I doubled 10 and 12 to start. I often when the fairway's are real wet and spongy hit my short irons and full wedges fat. I laid the sod 5 times today. I left wearing mud splatter. Two 3 putts today. I again shot 9 over on the back for a pair of 83's. Actually if I didn't regroup a few times and get some solid pars both days I could have had a pair of 88's. I lost to Miami Vice by 2 and no.1 golf buddy by 3. Not my week for scoring. If I was to look for a silver lining in my mediocre play it would be driver. I never put one out of play and consistently landed it in the short grass both days. Another plus was once again I took zero penalty strokes.  

Stan is from New England and since we have been talking high school sports participation lately I asked what sports did he play at Handley High in Mass? He said all of them but hockey was his favorite. I asked if he might have a most memorable high school hockey team moment he would share with me.

Oh that's easy LP, listen. 

So once a year we played the best hockey team in all of Boston. That team was an utter powerhouse. THREE of Malden Catholic's starters during his time went on to play in the NHL. So they take the bus ride into Boston and some how take a 1-0 lead on Malden's ice. Then they got Grade A smoked. The final score was 10-3. Now here is a stat for you hockey guys. Stan told me that their goalie had 63 SAVES !!!!  in that blow out. My lord. That's a ton of zinging pucks coming at ya.

Good story. 

Such a fine time was had by me this week at Reems Creek regardless of my scores. I have a good bunch of fellas that I play with and we get out on some very nice courses. I am most grateful for that.

For a total of 9 hours over the last two days I had an absolute blast sweating my nad's off and being very inconsistent in golf. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 4

Hey Mr. Triangle guy, 

Let's hear it for the Malden Catholic.......................

Malden Catholic headlines Super 8 hockey field - The Boston Globe

💥

• Like 4

Ok no.1 opponent you got me twice this week. I'm coming for you next Tuesday on your home track CCA. Welcome back my friend, I've missed our competition and your being in the foursome.

Edited by touch
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, NCLancer said:

Hey King Tar Heel, good luck in the BFCC Club Championship this weekend. 

• Like 1

Early morning and the grounds crew is applying fungicide on all the greens. It has been so damp here in Asheville for weeks. I have driven to work in dense fog since forever.

A pleasant Friday is wished to all my Picks thread brothers. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 3