2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Why are some people so bitter about letting a faster player play through?

On 8/31/2021 at 4:43 AM, Kmagnuss said:

Sorry, I didn't see this question earlier.  I don't usually ask to play through... usually.  Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like it's a little rude to ask to play through.

I agree Kmagnuss...  typically I don't ask to play through as most of the time slower groups in front of me or my group will allow it when it is a convenient time...  usually at the next tee box.

However, there are always exceptions...  a couple of months ago my brother in law is in town and I take him to a local public course for a round.  We arrive, hit a bucket of balls and notice no one has gone out in front of us for 20 minutes or so...  on the first tee box my BIL even comments how open the course is...  we play the first hole, hit our tee shots on the second hole and come up over a rise in the fairway to see a foursome on the second green.  I am thinking "wtf did they come from???"  we stand in the fairway waiting for a good five minutes for them to putt out...  I am not exaggerating it was a good five minutes!!!  they finally clear the green and both of us hit our approach shots, two putt and leave with pars.  The third hole is an island green par 3 of about 150 yards.  We come up over another hill and down to the third tee and they are still firing at the green with not one single ball on the green...  all of them walk back to the cart and get more balls...  all four hit them into the water.  They then return to the cart to grab more balls.  At this time I spoke up and ask "hey, do you guys know there is a drop area over there about 20 yards from the green?"  to which one answered "yeah, but we want to hit them from here"...  to which I ask "do you mind if we play through?"  They reluctantly agreed to let us go through...  not the shot you want to be hitting when playing through but both us did manage to hit the green and walk away with two pars...  but I left the tee box thinking are people just really that inept when it comes to golf etiquette???

When I first started playing golf I remember my Dad telling me "as long as you play at a decent pace and have good golf etiquette you will always have someone to play with"...  the first few times he took me out to play all he did was give me lessons on golf etiquette and always stressed that part of the game.

• Like 3

Never an issue letting faster players through UNLESS... it's a series of singles that think the seas should part for them.  I mean seriously, even if the course is wide open in front of my group how many singles should we let through?  They need to pair up at some point because we want to finish also. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Never an issue letting faster players through UNLESS... it's a series of singles that think the seas should part for them.  I mean seriously, even if the course is wide open in front of my group how many singles should we let through?  They need to pair up at some point because we want to finish also. 

As a guy who plays solo a lot I get this. There's a phrase in golf about "being invisible". I try to be this guy behind a group as well. As long as they're playing at a smart pace, I'll stay far away. If I'm a single with no one on me I'll aften wait for the group in front to have putters in hand before I tee off. I'll stay on the green putting around until I hear their golf carts pull away from the tee box. It helps that I'm usually walking. 

• Like 2

On 9/29/2021 at 1:12 PM, 4x4GGG said:

As a guy who plays solo a lot I get this. There's a phrase in golf about "being invisible". I try to be this guy behind a group as well. As long as they're playing at a smart pace, I'll stay far away. If I'm a single with no one on me I'll aften wait for the group in front to have putters in hand before I tee off. I'll stay on the green putting around until I hear their golf carts pull away from the tee box. It helps that I'm usually walking. 

Friday evening I was reminded about your post "being invisible," which I like and wish more singles were like that. 

So my wife and I are playing a quick 9 before dinner. The course is quiet. There was another twosome about 1 to 1.5 holes behind us, and no one in front. Perfect! We get to hole 9 (par 5) and I'm long over the back of the green and have to chip back on. I look back up the fairway and WTF all of a sudden there's Mr Single on our butts 100 yards out waiting. I say to myself, wtf dude, backoff and be invisible. Anyway, now that Mr Single is on our tails, I rushed my shot and bogeyed the hole. 

Yes I wish more singles knew about being invisible. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

We have the same set up at our course, a single has no standing, and it generally leads to the inevitable stream of singles/twosomes.  What we try to do is wait until a par 3, tee off, and then let them tee off.  We'll continue to play at a leisurely pace until they get to the green and finish, then we'll complete the hole... and you better be out of sight by the time we get to the next tee box 🙂

• Like 3

Fun anecdote. Played 2 rounds back to back with a buddy of mine. One was a private club as a guest of the Pro and the other was a public par 3 the next day. 

Mind you, being guests on a private course we're always on our best behavior and try to stay under the radar. This is a "3 nines" course and we're playing Blue-White (not Red). First tee is open and next to the range. I confirmed with a member on the range that this is the Blue 1st Tee. Odd hole, looks like the flag is DL right, turns out it was to the left. Hit our  shots, grab some waters for the cart and drive out to find our terrible tee shots. Hubby and wife walking off the green as we find our balls. Hole 2 they're waiting for us. Tell us to please play through because we hit into them and almost hit them. I never saw them tee off, never saw them in the fairway.. didn't see them until they were on the green as we looked for our shots. 2 was a par 3 and they had already hit. I hit a low spinner to the front of the green, one hop and checked 2 feet from the cup.  Apologized profusely and they tried to keep up on us for a few holes but couldn't. 

Day 2 on the par 3 we pay and walk past 2 guys on the putting green up to the tee box. They finished putting and stood behind us while we waited for the 3 on the green. Ooops... did we jump? The 3 in front we're terribly slow. By hole 3 we had a group on the green and the 2 behind us while those guys were still on the green. On 4 they waived us up after they got to the green. Now in a rush to pass I hit my 9I about 90 yards and pretty much never got off the ground. Darnit! I head up and grab a wedge while they wait and watch. Another skull about 30 yards. Double Darnit! From about 20 yards off the green with them right there I flopped a shot to inches and just walked by and picked up for bogey. We were on 18 when we saw them tee off on 10. 

Amazing how awkward playing thru can be. 

On 10/2/2021 at 9:01 PM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Friday evening I was reminded about your post "being invisible," which I like and wish more singles were like that. 

So my wife and I are playing a quick 9 before dinner. The course is quiet. There was another twosome about 1 to 1.5 holes behind us, and no one in front. Perfect! We get to hole 9 (par 5) and I'm long over the back of the green and have to chip back on. I look back up the fairway and WTF all of a sudden there's Mr Single on our butts 100 yards out waiting. I say to myself, wtf dude, backoff and be invisible. Anyway, now that Mr Single is on our tails, I rushed my shot and bogeyed the hole. 

Yes I wish more singles knew about being invisible. 

Somebody being 100 yards out and waiting is considered pushing/rushing?  Seems rather reasonable to proceed to your ball after you hit it so you're not holding up anybody behind you. 

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

Somebody being 100 yards out and waiting is considered pushing/rushing?  Seems rather reasonable to proceed to your ball after you hit it so you're not holding up anybody behind you. 

Well it was more surprising and distracting than anything.  In my opinion at minimum was thoughtless by the single and at most perhaps a bit rude.  Imagine, you've played 8 of 9 holes and kept 1-1.5 holes ahead of the 2some behind us.  Then suddenly, last hole, there's a single standing in the fairway 100 yards out waiting.  I have no idea if that twosome behind us let him through or if he was just bouncing around in a cart. Regardless he could have easily stayed well back and not been distracting, especially considering it was the last hole. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Well it was more surprising and distracting than anything.  In my opinion at minimum was thoughtless by the single and at most perhaps a bit rude.  Imagine, you've played 8 of 9 holes and kept 1-1.5 holes ahead of the 2some behind us.  Then suddenly, last hole, there's a single standing in the fairway 100 yards out waiting.  I have no idea if that twosome behind us let him through or if he was just bouncing around in a cart. Regardless he could have easily stayed well back and not been distracting, especially considering it was the last hole. 

Yeah I wouldn't have thought twice about it unless he was hanging out 20 yards or so from the green.  As a single he is more than likely expecting to run into people, and would expect you to finish up the hole with the hopes you'd let him through on the next one.   What if this was a fast foursome?  Should they have to stay back as well because you're easily distracted?

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

13 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

So you can be out for a quick 9 but this single has to lollygag around not to surprise or distract you? More than likely, this guy got let through by the two-some, hit his tee shot into an empty 9th fairway, waited until it was safe to hit his layup to 100 yards and then was simply waiting for the green to clear to hit his approach. I'm not sure what the issue was. He wasn't chasing you around the entire 9 holes.

Edited by chippa13
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Yeah I wouldn't have thought twice about it unless he was hanging out 20 yards or so from the green.  As a single he is more than likely expecting to run into people, and would expect you to finish up the hole with the hopes you'd let him through on the next one.   What if this was a fast foursome?  Should they have to stay back as well because you're easily distracted?

Why do you even think a foursome could have been waiting on a twosome? Not happening at the pace we play. 

18 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

So you can be out for a quick 9 but this single has to lollygag around not to surprise or distract you? More than likely, this guy got let through by the two-some, hit his tee shot into an empty 9th fairway, waited until it was safe to hit his layup to 100 yards and then was simply waiting for the green to clear to hit his approach. I'm not sure what the issue was. He wasn't chasing you around the entire 9 holes.

Seems like you're both missing the point.  No one was even close to us for the entire round until we get to the last green--- so kind of off putting to see someone there.  Yeah I'll admit it's pet peeve, but too many singles think the seas should part for them.   So now that we're on 18 we have to hurry up for Mr. Single who's standing 100 yards behind us?  If this was earlier in the round, yes sure as long as no one was in front of us.  This is akin to being in a men's room when there's 10 open urinals and a guy comes in and stands right next to you.  Or someone standing too close behind at an ATM.... personal space!  

A couple years ago I'm in a foursome before sunset.  We let Mr. Single through, then a twosome, and guess what a hole later there's another single waiting on us.  These guys should have paired up! -- we want to finish before sunset also! 

• Haha 1

Oy. One thing I learned many, many years ago playing as a single and in groups is that a course can be fluid. Just because there's a group behind you doesn't mean that they'll be behind you for the entire round. For a variety of reasons they may let another group or single play through. 

The basic rule should always be to have one's head on a swivel. Look behind you now and again to assess where you stand on the course. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

3 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Okay so what if it was a twosome or a threesome?   Just finish the hole out like you normally would and if they are bothering you, let them through.  The only person who is saying that you have to hurry up and finish is you.  Was the guy yelling at you to hurry?   Somebody who is 100 yards from you, is not taking up your personal space, and if they are, maybe a golf course isn't the place for you.    

Yeah, I just don't get it. On a par 5, a player(s) preparing to hit their 2nd shot from 300 yds out with the group ahead on the green is supposed to wait because laying up to 100 yds is going to bother the group on the green? Or are they supposed to hit their approach shots, but then sit there so as to not distract the group on the green, thus preventing the group on the tee from hitting? 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Look, this is my course, and I don't want anyone to get in my way, even if you're not in my way.

I'm important and in a hurry. I have to finish this round of golf quickly so I can get in the car and floor it from stoplight to stoplight. I need to weave in and out of traffic with no turn signals. I have a BMW. I'm important. I need to get home as fast as I can so I can sit on the sofa, watch TV and eat potato chips.

And I'm not going to let you pass me on the road! I'm going to speed up.

• Haha 4

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

20 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Yeah, I just don't get it. On a par 5, a player(s) preparing to hit their 2nd shot from 300 yds out with the group ahead on the green is supposed to wait because laying up to 100 yds is going to bother the group on the green? Or are they supposed to hit their approach shots, but then sit there so as to not distract the group on the green, thus preventing the group on the tee from hitting? 

100%.  I've never heard of such a thing.  You hit your ball,  you progress toward your ball so those behind you can do the same.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

14 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

14 hours ago, MountainKing said:

100%.  I've never heard of such a thing.  You hit your ball,  you progress toward your ball so those behind you can do the same.  

That wasn't the situation that I described, so your above reference and comment is irrelevant to the situation I described.  If it was as you described, then no problem.  But we had been 1 to 1.5 holes ahead of the group behind us the entire round, until Mr. Single comes up behind us on the last hole.  He could have easily stayed back to remain "invisible" as 4x4GGG describes below... which is courteous. 

To be clear and generally speaking:

• I have no issue letting faster groups play through. Just the week before I asked a single, who was on #6 green and we were on the #7 tee box if he wanted to play through. He said no thank you and stayed out of sight. 
  • If I'm a single, twosome, threesome, I'm not going to push a foursome that's playing on pace, especially if they have no place to go. It's plain rude.   
  • My experience has shown that even when there is a procession of late afternoon singles they seem to rarely want to pair up.  If they stay close to the group ahead that's a signal that they expect to play through.  This only exacerbates the problem for everyone else in front of them.  Seriously how many singles are we supposed to let through?  Shouldn't they be pairing up instead?  We want to finish before sunset also! 
  • My primary reason for my original comment and continuing this conversation is because in my experience late afternoon singles often think the seas should part for them and every group should move out of their way. 

One of the people that gets it about singles is 4x4GGG as described below. 

On 9/29/2021 at 1:12 PM, 4x4GGG said:

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

This, but not, maybe? 

To me this could also be the car riding your bumper in 70MPH rush hour traffic. You're not going anywhere and neither are they so back off a little and set yourself to the pace of the course. Just because I'm 251 yards away it shouldn't mean it's time to fire off your 250 yard drive. I know this isn't what you mean but I think we're trying to find a balance. 

I posted this before but I was once a single on a resort course with 2 4's in front and a 3 behind. The group behind me was firing off the split second they had room on every hole while I was just trying to play at the pace of the groups in front of me, not rush, not wait.. just find the pace. I finally Brake-Checked the group behind and they called the pro shop. 

Par 5, hit a ball left and maybe OB. Hit a provisional. Driving out found my first in the left bunker with a high wall. By the time I found my ball the group behind me was standing on the box. I played a 6 out of the bunker. It put me about 165 from the green. I then drove over to my provisional in the middle of the fairway to get my ball and I sat there until the green was clear. Green cleared, grabbed my provisional and drove to my ball. 7i in, 3 putts and I was off. Took the group behind me 2 holes to back on my rear end. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, 4x4GGG said:

This, but not, maybe? 

To me this could also be the car riding your bumper in 70MPH rush hour traffic. You're not going anywhere and neither are they so back off a little and set yourself to the pace of the course. Just because I'm 251 yards away it shouldn't mean it's time to fire off your 250 yard drive. I know this isn't what you mean but I think we're trying to find a balance. 

I posted this before but I was once a single on a resort course with 2 4's in front and a 3 behind. The group behind me was firing off the split second they had room on every hole while I was just trying to play at the pace of the groups in front of me, not rush, not wait.. just find the pace. I finally Brake-Checked the group behind and they called the pro shop. 

Par 5, hit a ball left and maybe OB. Hit a provisional. Driving out found my first in the left bunker with a high wall. By the time I found my ball the group behind me was standing on the box. I played a 6 out of the bunker. It put me about 165 from the green. I then drove over to my provisional in the middle of the fairway to get my ball and I sat there until the green was clear. Green cleared, grabbed my provisional and drove to my ball. 7i in, 3 putts and I was off. Took the group behind me 2 holes to back on my rear end. 

Laying up to 100 yds on a par 5 isn't riding someone's bumper at 70 mph. It's how a par 5 should be played if one isn't going for the green in two. Hit your layup and move up so that the group on the tee can hit. 

• Like 3

On 8/30/2021 at 9:27 AM, Kmagnuss said:

Why do some people not let me play through when I'm literally standing next to the tee box watching them tee off with nobody in front of them? 

General ignorance about the game of golf and specifically, its etiquette. 

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

16 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

On a par 5, a player(s) preparing to hit their 2nd shot from 300 yds out with the group ahead on the green is supposed to wait because laying up to 100 yds is going to bother the group on the green?

No.

16 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Or are they supposed to hit their approach shots, but then sit there so as to not distract the group on the green, thus preventing the group on the tee from hitting? 

Again, no.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

59 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Laying up to 100 yds on a par 5 isn't riding someone's bumper at 70 mph. It's how a par 5 should be played if one isn't going for the green in two. Hit your layup and move up so that the group on the tee can hit. 

That comment shouldn't come as a shock.  One guy compared this to being next to somebody at a urinal or stall in a bathroom.  100 yards is a football field away.  Even 50 yards shouldn't be an issue.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

That wasn't the situation that I described, so your above reference and comment is irrelevant to the situation I described.  If it was as you described, then no problem.  But we had been 1 to 1.5 holes ahead of the group behind us the entire round, until Mr. Single comes up behind us on the last hole.  He could have easily stayed back to remain "invisible" as 4x4GGG describes below... which is courteous. 

To be clear and generally speaking:

• I have no issue letting faster groups play through. Just the week before I asked a single, who was on #6 green and we were on the #7 tee box if he wanted to play through. He said no thank you and stayed out of sight. 
  • If I'm a single, twosome, threesome, I'm not going to push a foursome that's playing on pace, especially if they have no place to go. It's plain rude.   
  • My experience has shown that even when there is a procession of late afternoon singles they seem to rarely want to pair up.  If they stay close to the group ahead that's a signal that they expect to play through.  This only exacerbates the problem for everyone else in front of them.  Seriously how many singles are we supposed to let through?  Shouldn't they be pairing up instead?  We want to finish before sunset also! 
  • My primary reason for my original comment and continuing this conversation is because in my experience late afternoon singles often think the seas should part for them and every group should move out of their way. 

One of the people that gets it about singles is 4x4GGG as described below. 

Golf courses are not a static thing, and you seem to think they are.  Guys play through, guys end up playing fast.  I play in a foursome that is capable of playing 18 in under 3 hours on an empty course, we end up behind twosomes often.  There's nothing wrong with somebody proceeding to their ball that is 100 yards shy of the green. 

Yeah the singles probably should pair up, but at the same time, if you let them play through correctly, you can do it in a way that doesn't slow you down at all.  We generally have hem join us for a hole and will play it as a 5 some.  Once we get to the green we have them finish out and move on.  By the time we finish out they're long gone.   You can do this multiple times in a round and it might slow you down 5 minutes over 18 holes.  On an empty course ,there's never a point in time where you should have to actually stop playing, and wait for the single to play through.   If this course is busy and here's nowhere for them to go, it is what it is.  In that instance tho, the rangers should be creating groups, so the course is just as much to blame. 

Here's a question, why aren't you asking the singles to join up with you guys since you're a twosome?  You seem to think they should be joining up, the same logic will apply to you since you're still an incomplete group.

As far as the singles not being seen, I'm thinking this guy meant they aren't pulling right up on you while you're teeing off, or not driving right up to the green while you're putting ect.  Stopping 100 yards short of the green, I mean come on.  You couldn't have a conversation from that distance without shouting, and even then it would be hard to understand. 

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, 4x4GGG said:

This, but not, maybe? 

If you're 251 yards away and you have a 250 yard shot, you should be waiting for the green to clear.   Last I checked there's a slight difference between 1 yard and 100 yards.  I could be wrong, maybe with this common core math stuff that's changed.  

Once things are clear to play, the group behind should be playing.   You're kind of in the wrong for holding the course up.  This is how we end up with 5 hour rounds.  If they were hitting into you, that's one thing, not sure what the scenario really was based on your description, but a ball 30 yards behind you isn't hitting into you.  The course, or yourself, should have probably put you with the 3some that was behind you to prevent all of this from happening.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I will play as a single at times when the course isn't busy. When I do this it is "practice", not a round to be posted.

I take a cart and if I catch another group I just move to another hole.

If the course is to busy too make this possible I don't play as a single.

Edited by Itsjustagame
  • Like 1

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

6 hours ago, MountainKing said:

As far as the singles not being seen, I'm thinking this guy meant they aren't pulling right up on you while you're teeing off, or not driving right up to the green while you're putting ect.  Stopping 100 yards short of the green, I mean come on.  You couldn't have a conversation from that distance without shouting, and even then it would be hard to understand. 

I agree 100 yards isn't encroaching on the play. But.... and maybe this is a me thing, but... 100 yards and body language is a big difference. If I'm in a cart and wind up 100 out with a group on the green, good chance I won't even be near my ball. Just off the cart path sitting in my cart reading my emails or watching Tik Tok videos. But, we all know the Club Pro Guy who's standing over his ball with his club leaning on his leg, arms out with palms up to jesus. Part of being invisible means playing in a way that they can't even hear you land. But thats just me. I prefer the shadows. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1