2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Is PXG going out of business?

golfnhack

1 minute ago, cardia10 said:

Wrong, those are sold on eBay prices. Asking is 10k and above. Notice the green font. That means sold. That is something you will never see from PXG. An increase in value after purchase. Ask me, I learned the hard way…

Hmmm so that “or best offer” is after putters sell. Righttttttt…

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

8 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

You are free to check eBay and Facebook for sale prices. Not sure you understand your putter pricing. I mean, let’s be honest, we are here discussing a set of $2,500 irons with womens weight shafts and grips. Not sure we are in the same ballpark with PXG and 009 putters. Some items go up in value and some go down. PXG is of the latter variety. I tried them and they quickly lost all the luster. I think people love them because when you spend that much in them, you buy into the hype or it hurts so bad you have to pretend. I mean, the guys here defending PXG does t even need to show a WITB and you can quickly tell not only do

they have the irons, they probably bought the wedges too and are considering a driver. Don’t! Hint…give it 3 months and pay the 50% off. 

Edited by cardia10

1 minute ago, cardia10 said:

You are free to check eBay and Facebook for sale prices. Not sure you understand your putter pricing. I mean, let’s be honest, we are here discussing a set of $2,500 irons with womens weight shafts and grips. Not sure we are in the same ballpark with PXG and 009 putters. 

Hmmm didn’t realize tour pros were playing womens weight shafts and that Lamkins were also women’s grips. Considering both the Elevate and DG are made by the same company and sell for the same price I’m not sure what your point is, but anyways. We get that you buy golf clubs as an investment, and that’s great. However most of us don’t. We choose to invest in stocks, commodities, bonds, or real estate to create wealth rather than putters or irons. Enjoy your putter and it’s great resale value. I’ll just enjoy my golf clubs for what they are. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

Wrong, those are sold on eBay prices. Asking is 10k and above. Notice the green font. That means sold. That is something you will never see from PXG. An increase in value after purchase. Ask me, I learned the hard way…it is ok though, I’m sure carnie Bob would be happy to take those right back and sell me a new set with $10 elevate shafts and 1.99 PXG grips. 

Aside from extremely limited items, I don't think I've ever seen anyone buy a brand new piece of relatively mass produced golf gear, something that they intend to use day in and out on the course, in the hopes that it increases in value. If people were concerned with resale Mizuno and srixon would never sell woods, yet here we are. Let people enjoy things.

Edited by LUXOR54
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Hmmm didn’t realize tour pros were playing womens weight shafts and that Lamkins were also women’s grips. Considering both the Elevate and DG are made by the same company and sell for the same price I’m not sure what your point is, but anyways. We get that you buy golf clubs as an investment, and that’s great. However most of us don’t. We choose to invest in stocks, commodities, bonds, or real estate to create wealth rather than putters or irons. Enjoy your putter and it’s great resale value. I’ll just enjoy my golf clubs for what they are. 

I don’t think the tour pros are paying that upgrade charge like we are asked to. Also if both shafts are the same price, why does PXG charge a $39 per shaft up charge for the same shaft that is zero cost from every other OEM? Never said I invested in a putter. I said that I paid one amount and it went up in value. I also said PXG clubs never go up in value. That isn’t investment advice as I’m not licensed for that. I game everything I buy but when you bargain shop like me, it is nice not to lose 80% when you buy clubs. I’m sure PXGs are fine for most people but for anyone to say they are worth double the price a set of Ping or Titleist irons, I have trouble believing they also don’t have a garage of infomercial clubs. PXG is great at marketing a similar product as other oems for a substantial price increase. Kudos to them but there only so many of those people to go around. 

Edited by cardia10

5 minutes ago, LUXOR54 said:

Aside from extremely limited items, I don't think I've ever seen anyone buy a brand new piece of relatively mass produced golf gear, something that they intend to use day in and out on the course, in the hopes that it increases in value. If people were concerned with resale Mizuno and srixon would never sell woods, yet here we are. Let people enjoy things.

I would normally say the same thing, but people line up every week to buy the Cameron “tour” putter in online sales for $2,500 and they regularly sell for 6-7k. These are milled putters that likely cost about $50 to make and have never seen any tour and never will. I honestly don’t have understand it but luckily I bought most of mine 4-5 years ago. I play everything I own but it is hard not to sell it all the way the market is right now. 

Edited by cardia10

6 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but when you bought the Gen2 irons there was no upcharge… If you don’t like PXG clubs,, don’t buy them. Don’t feel the need to justify to the rest of us why you don’t buy them. Just kinda wonder why you are even posting on a PXG thread if you have such strong emotions about not buying them?

I got them used here. That’s what I would suggest to anyone if they are on a budget. Just saw an ad that is the prime example. I’ll post it if I can. I’m posting to show others my experience. The last sale, I had a set of GEN3 in my cart…all stock as I have a set of shafts at home. Went to checkout and add $60 for shipping. Since then, it has been downhill for me and PXG. In all honesty, I’ll try them again as I love the look but I just won’t pay full retail from PXG as I don’t like being nickeled and dimed to death. Someone else can take that hit and I’ll buy them here for 20% of retail. 

2DB1E336-0E30-454C-99CD-37A42253165C.png

Edited by cardia10

39 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

So you don't believe eBay then ?

Of those 4 putters in the picture, the 2nd and 3rd were negotiated (as it says "best offer accepted") - so the asked price is crossed through. So we don't know the actual price it was sold for.

The 1st and 4th items, without the price crossed through, sold for those prices.

You're welcome. 👍

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

36 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

So you don't believe eBay then ?

Of those 4 putters in the picture, the 2nd and 3rd were negotiated (as it says "best offer accepted") - so the asked price is crossed through. So we don't know the actual price it was sold for.

The 1st and 4th items, without the price crossed through, sold for those prices.

You're welcome. 👍

Exactly my point, two of them we have no idea what they sold for, except it wasn’t for the asking price.

I got the 0211st 5-p new for $560 after tax. Awesome little sticks that look good at address and feel great. Don’t really care about much else. By the time I’m done with them I will have gotten my value. As many times as someone asked me which club I just hit, almost no one has asked what clubs I play with. If PXG does go under I can say I had a great experience with their staff and I got while the getting was good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

21 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Exactly my point, two of them we have no idea what they sold for, except it wasn’t for the asking price.

:classic_laugh:

Try again. Your "point" was the Scottys weren't selling for huge prices. And when proven wrong you fell back on the 2 putters that were sold with "best offer" and conveniently ignored the 2 that WERE sold for the price posted.

And then, when that wasn't enough, you fell back on "What ? you trust eBay ?!?!?!"  :classic_rolleyes:

There are PLENTY more of them sold for large increases that you can see if you bother to look............. Oh, I forgot, it's eBay. :classic_laugh:

Titleist Pro V1X

5 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Try again. Your "point" was the Scottys weren't selling for huge prices. And when proven wrong you fell back on the 2 putters that were sold with "best offer" and conveniently ignored the 2 that WERE sold for the price posted.

And then, when that wasn't enough, you fell back on "What ? you trust eBay ?!?!?!"  :classic_rolleyes:

There are PLENTY more of them sold for large increases that you can see if you bother to look............. Oh, I forgot, it's eBay. :classic_laugh:

No, read what I was replying to. A difference between “asking” prices and “selling: prices. When I show that the prices for a used set of p790 and gen2 irons were basically the same his response was that “yeah but those are asking prices, not selling prices” if you’re gonna join the party at least read what was said and wasn’t said before you comment. Oh, and btw, Find ONE word where I said anything about Scotty putters not selling for high prices. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

No, read what I was replying to. A difference between “asking” prices and “selling: prices. When I show that the prices for a used set of p790 and gen2 irons were basically the same his response was that “yeah but those are asking prices, not selling prices” if you’re gonna join the party at least read what was said and wasn’t said before you comment. Oh, and btw, Find ONE word where I said anything about Scotty putters not selling for high prices. 

You were upset that PXGs didn't hold their value.

When shown clubs that DID (Scottys) hold their value and even increase you challenged the asking vs selling.

When shown actual selling prices you went full snark on eBay. :classic_rolleyes:

Oh, and nobody said, nor suggested you said, anything about Scotty not selling for high prices.

Now go ahead and have the last word,,,,,,,,,,,,, :pimp:

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

54 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

You were upset that PXGs didn't hold their value.

When shown clubs that DID (Scottys) hold their value and even increase you challenged the asking vs selling.

When shown actual selling prices you went full snark on eBay. :classic_rolleyes:

Oh, and nobody said, nor suggested you said, anything about Scotty not selling for high prices.

Now go ahead and have the last word,,,,,,,,,,,,, :pimp:

Man, you really struggle with reading comprehension. HE was upset about PXG clubs and their used values. I literally said I don’t consider golf clubs as investments so I could care less what my clubs are worth after I move on from them. Even pointed out that I have other things that I use as investments to create wealth. I could care less about having the last word. As far as eBay goes, 2 of the putters sold for an “asking price” a 2 others sold for an unknown price, but obviously NOT the asking price. Therefore a person capable of rational thinking would deduct that it was a “selling” price. Please read over the comments made again because you are struggling understanding his points of view and mine.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jimi Thing said:

I’ve been lucky enough to live in the ATL area with a pxg store close by. Their retail  experience , their customer service experience it is simply outstanding. Pure premium. 

Pair that with their fitting offering which was at par or better as club champion for the exception of only having pxg stuff. Compare that to the crap “fitting” allowed at PGass for more expensive off the rack drivers of TM, Cally etc and the difference is very significant. Go through both experiences and then make a judgement. I have had both and it is refreshing to experience a company of this size that gives you the feeling they also care about you besides their bottom line. 

not sure if it was by design from company start up, but keeping previous gen stock  available and fittable now creates for a perfect product/ price mix. 

Shafts and grip offerings are limited. But in my fitting experiences there were plenty of no upcharge variety, certainly enough to cater for 80% of golfers. And if that is what allows them to enter this pricing strategy I’m applauding it. 

just knowing that one day you can own a full bag of brand new custom fitted gen 5 stuff for $2300 is a sweet thought. Or a gen5 iron at $129. Sweet

It becomes silly to see how ignored they are as a company in “the best” lists. Best iron category, no pxg in the mix, silly. Get over yourself and your outdated opinions. 

it seems that those critiquing pxg are doing so without any experience. Disliking what they are not offering vs experiencing what they do offer and judging that. The reality is that they are raising the standard of what can be expected when you purchase clubs. Good for the entire market. 

surely at Callaway etc they are getting anxious. Higher price point driver, stating that you should get fitted, knowing that the majority of that “fitting” will be done by an inexperienced, not controlled group of, hopefully, retail enthousiasts. 

Well said. Best post on this forum in some time. 

• Like 3

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Full bag fittings at Club Champion run $400 currently. It is not an apples to apples with a PXG fitting when it comes to available components, true. But when it comes to the quality of the fitter (which really is the major quality element of the fitting) and the adjustment opportunities build in the product it is at least similar if not better to what CC has to offer. 

If I compare that to my numerous PGASS and other Golf Mass Merchant experiences it is beyond funny how big the difference is. They might slab a couple different shafts in the clubhead for you, point out what you are reading yourself and have absolutely no clue of cause and effect when it comes to ball flight and impact. 

However, it is the fitting service that the of large OEM's (except Ping, Titleist to some extend) consciously choose to go with for the majority of their customers.

That, or pay $400 to get fitted and be locked in to the CC business model, making a $550 off the rack driver run somewhere between $750 and $1200 easily.

Now compare that to a custom fitted $500 PXG driver and the only conclusion you can draw is that there is little respect for the customer at those other OEM's. But you only truly understand the difference if you have gone through both experiences. If anything we should be calling out those large OEM's

Good to hear Bob Parsons share that they intend to increase the nr of retail stores from 13 to 20 this year so the custom fitting service opportunities grow. 

Edited by Jimi Thing
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Soccerrick10 said:

Yeah, and I waited 6 months to get my P790’s that also took a letter to the CEO to get them.  Then, 2 were defective and had to send them back which took another letter and 3 more weeks.  My Gen 3 irons arrived in 5 days and I played them the whole 6 months I waited for the P790’s.  BTW, I paid less for my Gen 3 irons than the 790’s.  My Gen 3’s came with shafts that were no upgrade charge from PXG but $28 per club from TaylorMade.  

So PXG doesn’t work for you - OK, I don’t care.  For me, they get top awards for service, support, product quality and price, when I do my homework shopping wisely.  Now that there is a store local, shipping is free.  Even at the $60 fee, that’s only $8-$10 per club - still cheaper than the P790’s.

Just curious, PXG only offers 2 stock shafts, but what was stock on PXG that TM charged $28 per club for?

19 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Man, you really struggle with reading comprehension. HE was upset about PXG clubs and their used values. I literally said I don’t consider golf clubs as investments so I could care less what my clubs are worth after I move on from them. Even pointed out that I have other things that I use as investments to create wealth. I could care less about having the last word. As far as eBay goes, 2 of the putters sold for an “asking price” a 2 others sold for an unknown price, but obviously NOT the asking price. Therefore a person capable of rational thinking would deduct that it was a “selling” price. Please read over the comments made again because you are struggling understanding his points of view and mine.

Honestly, I'm more concerned with PXG advertising one cost per club, then charging you to get what is a stock offering from every other OEM driving the PXG cost in some cases to double of those OEM's. A solid term for that is bait and switch and PXG has landed some BIG BASS lately here.  

Also after reading all the review for Club Champion, I have no clue who would ever go there to be fit when every known OEM shows up at every course doing free trackman fittings. The fact that PXG does this is basically keeping with industry standard. Yeah, they are nice about it, but I've never paid double for nice. 

Edited by cardia10

5 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

Honestly, I'm more concerned with PXG advertising one cost per club, then charging you to get what is a stock offering from every other OEM driving the PXG cost in some cases to double of those OEM's. A solid term for that is bait and switch and PXG has landed some BIG BASS lately here.  

Also after reading all the review for Club Champion, I have no clue who would ever go there to be fit when every known OEM shows up at every course doing free trackman fittings. The fact that PXG does this is basically keeping with industry standard. Yeah, they are nice about it, but I've never paid double for nice. 

Then don’t go there and don’t buy their clubs……..

1 minute ago, hammergolf said:

Then don’t go there and don’t buy their clubs……..

Unfortunately I already own a set and I just saw the exact set listed on the BST for $650. Mine was listed for $450 with zero messages. I'll wait until someone does a 50% trade in sale and dump them.....and they have "upgraded" dynamic gold shafts and NDMC grips. I'm not hurt about it and it isn't a big deal. I just was making others aware of their cost to "upgrade" to what many other OEMs consider standard. 

Now back to the point of the thread, they aren't going out of business because Bob is too proud and has too much money for that. In 5 years though, they went from a company who wouldn't give free clubs or pay marketing to pros or discount clubs to a very different model. Gives quite a bit of insight about them "changing the industry" as they called it.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

Unfortunately I already own a set and I just saw the exact set listed on the BST for $650. Mine was listed for $450 with zero messages. I'll wait until someone does a 50% trade in sale and dump them.....and they have "upgraded" dynamic gold shafts and NDMC grips. I'm not hurt about it and it isn't a big deal. I just was making others aware of their cost to "upgrade" to what many other OEMs consider standard. 

Now back to the point of the thread, they aren't going out of business because Bob is too proud and has too much money for that. In 5 years though, they went from a company who wouldn't give free clubs or pay marketing to pros or discount clubs to a very different model. Gives quite a bit of insight about them "changing the industry" as they called it.

It's all about perception I guess. The topics you highlight as negative are positives in my view. The unpredictability of PXG in recent years to me provides opportunity. I got a 7-piece fitted iron set with Steelfiber i95 at no upcharge. I guess my timing turned out to be perfect as it was just prior to them lowering their iron pricing and introducing upcharges for shafts. They are not afraid to discount their material significantly, not afraid to change their business model around significantly. Surely it helps to have a founder which can afford these kind of actions, but also has the balls and fresh way of thinking to go those routes. 

I don't see why you dub their approach as bait. They are as transparent as can be about their pricing structure and upgrade policies. Good chance you will fit in one of their standard offerings, if so you are in luck. If not you can upgrade or hack your way to your ideal set of irons. I'm contemplating swapping my Steelfiber shafts into a new set of Gen5 heads at some point. I see a business model which provides options for me the consumer. The other OEM's want you in their latest greatest, PXG openly provides you the opportunity to buy previous gen while still making you feel a much valued customer. 

I can't think of another golf club company that is pushing the golf club market as much as PXG is. That is OEM's, the Golf Mass Merchant Market and the CC's of this world. Like their product or not, I feel they deserve praise for that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cardia10 said:

Just curious, PXG only offers 2 stock shafts, but what was stock on PXG that TM charged $28 per club for?

When I bought my P790’s last August, the MMT’s were a $28 up charge.  They have always been a no charge shaft at PXG and I have them on 3 sets of PXG irons and the P790’s.  I’ve just been lucky that shaft is a great match for my swing.

Edited by Soccerrick10
  • Like 2

What in the hell does resale value have to do with buying a new set of irons?

Not a PxG player at the moment, but I did go through a possible custom build with them by phone/email.  I have very unusual specs, and the experience was great!  In this case, I went with a different manufacturer, but I may be back and I would not hesitate to put PxG in my bag if they help me play better.....not because of the resale value.

• Like 4

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

18 minutes ago, mshills said:

Not a PxG player at the moment, but I did go through a possible custom build with them by phone/email.  I have very unusual specs, and the experience was great!  In this case, I went with a different manufacturer, but I may be back and I would not hesitate to put PxG in my bag if they help me play better.....not because of the resale value.

I would read other threads here about everyone's custom experience. It seems over the phone and in person it goes great, but the execution and construction don't always work out. I'd say have plenty of lead tape on hand.

9 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

I would read other threads here about everyone's custom experience. It seems over the phone and in person it goes great, but the execution and construction don't always work out. I'd say have plenty of lead tape on hand.

No tape needed! I've ordered 6 sets of irons and numerous drivers, fairways and putters, and they have all been spot on. It's as much on you, as the phone fitter, to know your specs using this direction to place an order. Also, pay attention to the order summary when you receive it from PXG, right after the order is placed, to make sure your specs are correct prior to build. Just another reason to see a live fitter if possible, to get properly dialed in and so there's no confusion on either side. Buying randomly off their site or second hand is on you if there are problems IMO. Like most OEMs, PXG will gladly fix any issues if different than noted on the order summary. If not, might cost you a small amount to send it back to them to fix. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mshills said:

Yeh I don't get this either. I don't think I've EVER bought anything in my life thinking about the resale value.

Hell back years ago I bought / played one of the worst brands you could buy for resale value and never gave it a second thought. KZG blades, probably worth about 10% what you payed for them when trying to resale.

• Like 3

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag