2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Is PXG going out of business?

golfnhack

We've gone from resale value to shipping costs as a reason not to buy a particular brand of clubs.....really?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

3 hours ago, Dannyboy44 said:

Everything has its PROS and CONS. 

PROS

- PXG can get you your clubs in 10 days or less. 

- PXG lets you customize your clubs to a extent and still gets you your clubs in 10 days or less

- Customer service has always been great in my situations

- PXG offers clubs that are affordable to most people if your willing to play previous generations.

CONS

- Shipping is a little high 

- grip upgrades are expensive( solution: have them shipped without grips on, sell them and you can have regripped yourself)

- shaft options (its hard to get anything these days and the shaft options they have help get your clubs to you faster. since covid its hard to find tires, furniture, vehicles, and yes golf clubs)

I have no brand loyalty. I play what performs. For me PXG irons perform and the PROS outweigh the CONS. Im not going to pick 1 thing I dont like about PXG and not buy there clubs bc of it. There are reasons behind the scenes a grip is $30 and shaft options are minimal. 

This is a well balanced and objective post.

I have no brand loyalty either. What works for me I buy (and sell later :classic_laugh:). But frankly, I'm not buying anything on "spec". If I can't try it I ain't buying it - and there's no PXG stores near me. If there was I'd definitely go try them. I'll try most anything once.

But let me ask something about PXG.

It seems to me the big boys change over annually but seldom, if ever, have a previous year model.

They may have a few sets left over and, in rare cases, such as the recent re-release/"dump" of Ping's IEI1 (or whatever it's called) or TM's M6 drivers. I recall back ~2010(?) Ping dumping dozens of Rapture drivers at about $100 per.

I see on the PXG site 0211, Gen 3, Gen4, & the newly released Gen 5.

I assume this corresponds to (roughly) the year introduced. And then there's the "model"; 0311T, XP, whatever.

Does anyone know if PXG is still manufacturing the older models if/when someone orders them ? Or are all these heads left over from the year they were actually made and are actually just being "closed out" ?

After all, some cash is better than no cash. Dunno1.gif

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

15 hours ago, cardia10 said:

I’m also betting your PXG clubs aren’t coming USPS. 

image.jpeg.c4a01daa1124a35a8fbca0300dee369b.jpeg

• Haha 3

Ping Glide Pro 48*

The guys who have bought PXG lately, how were they shipped? USPS, Fed Ed or UPS? 

I have consistently complained about all of the negatives. Read back through all my posts. I have also said I’ll likely try newer sets of them. I will buy them here though with my preferred shafts at an 80% discount. I’ve never once said they were a bad club, but to me, with the lofts and hollow body, they play like a P790. I find that I hit a 7 iron anywhere from 160-210. I’ll stick with the old clubs I play and try new ones as they come onto the BST. In the last couple years, the company has made changes that are better for the consumer based on the market. PXG said they would never do this, but they also understand who buys their clubs. They will continue to change and hopefully for the better. 

19 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

The guys who have bought PXG lately, how were they shipped? USPS, Fed Ed or UPS? 

I have consistently complained about all of the negatives. Read back through all my posts. I have also said I’ll likely try newer sets of them. I will buy them here though with my preferred shafts at an 80% discount. I’ve never once said they were a bad club, but to me, with the lofts and hollow body, they play like a P790. I find that I hit a 7 iron anywhere from 160-210. I’ll stick with the old clubs I play and try new ones as they come onto the BST. In the last couple years, the company has made changes that are better for the consumer based on the market. PXG said they would never do this, but they also understand who buys their clubs. They will continue to change and hopefully for the better. 

Everything I have bought from them has been FedEx.

You can always buy the clubs second hand and then build it yourself. I woulda saved 800$ if I did that, but I also liked the idea of just returning them and only losing $250 if the set didn’t work. I feel like that is what is lost also.. you can build your own but still likely take a loss there as well. No perfect solution, they are just expensive clubs.

I will comment on the “P790” theory, I did not find that at all with my Gen 4Ts. In fact, they have been more consistent than my past 2 iron sets, but that could also be in part from the shaft change. Thin/Toe/Heel are very consistent flight and distance. Just my .02

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, taylormade4life said:

Everything I have bought from them has been FedEx.

You can always buy the clubs second hand and then build it yourself. I woulda saved 800$ if I did that, but I also liked the idea of just returning them and only losing $250 if the set didn’t work. I feel like that is what is lost also.. you can build your own but still likely take a loss there as well. No perfect solution, they are just expensive clubs.

I will comment on the “P790” theory, I did not find that at all with my Gen 4Ts. In fact, they have been more consistent than my past 2 iron sets, but that could also be in part from the shaft change. Thin/Toe/Heel are very consistent flight and distance. Just my .02

I will say my distance issues were with the Gen2. Haven’t tried anything newer yet. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Does anyone know if PXG is still manufacturing the older models if/when someone orders them ? Or are all these heads left over from the year they were actually made and are actually just being "closed out" ?

After all, some cash is better than no cash.

It’s actually inventory they keep and not just left over. The had Gen 2 available as of early last year Iirc. They have set it up so that they have multiple price points for customers, so they keep basically 3 model years in stock. Once Gen 3 stock drops is when I would expect to see gen4 prices drop 

On 4/27/2022 at 8:29 PM, SEP1006 said:

This is probably one of the dumbest statements I have ever read on here. You may not like them but they are definitely not trash. 

They are a light weight, made to fit anyone but actually fits no one shaft. Yeah, everyone can hit them to the moon and you can swing the club fast with them. I think that is why there are so many sets for sell here and other forums. Everyone buys their stock offering to save $1,000 and they are I’ll fitting. If you get good results from their stock shafts, play them, but I’d be willing to bet only a PXG fitter would fit you into them. If I’m paying in excess of $2,000 for a set of irons, I would hope they would have more than one stock shaft offering in steel. 

Edited by cardia10

14 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

They are a light weight, made to fit anyone but actually fits no one shaft. Yeah, everyone can hit them to the moon and you can swing the club fast with them. I think that is why there are so many sets for sell here and other forums. Everyone buys their stock offering to save $1,000 and they are I’ll fitting. If you get good results from their stock shafts, play them, but I’d be willing to bet only a PXG fitter would fit you into them. 

Well, I have almost always played DGS300. I’ve dabbled in KBS and liked the Nippon 1050 but spun them too much. My i200’s have the AWT 2.0 which I thought felt fine but I hit them very high. Went into the fitting expecting to be fit into the P but couldn’t find a combo better than my pings. We went through a LOT of shaft combos. I eventually made it to the 0211ST and tried multiple shafts and landed on the standard elevate 95 S, which I would have never chosen for myself. But the numbers did not lie even after switching to other shafts and back and comparing against my pings. It has absolutely translated to the course too, they are so easy to hit and shape shots. These shafts I was scoffing at just ended up being a great fit for me paired with that head. Granted, my fitting was at PXG, but he was great and I know the numbers and feel I was looking for and would have landed here if I was on my own. If I were to purchase blind without the fitting I would have purchased with upgraded shafts. So I can’t say you’re wrong, but in my case, you’re not right. 

• Like 2

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

39 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

They are a light weight, made to fit anyone but actually fits no one shaft. Yeah, everyone can hit them to the moon and you can swing the club fast with them. I think that is why there are so many sets for sell here and other forums. Everyone buys their stock offering to save $1,000 and they are I’ll fitting. If you get good results from their stock shafts, play them, but I’d be willing to bet only a PXG fitter would fit you into them. 

91 mph 7 iron checking in. Coming from KBS Tour-X, I am perfectly happy with the elevate tour X100 I was fit into. Practically indistinguishable performance between the supposedly light weight fits no one shaft, and the seemingly much more manly, heavier, 3 year wait KBS. Of course I was skeptical going into it, but the elevate tour is actually a really nice shaft, I much prefer it to S300.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cardia10 said:

Another very unintelligent post !!!!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Cardia10 may have a problem.

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

12 hours ago, cardia10 said:

I will actually agree with you here, but not for the same reason. I don’t think the shaft is garbage, but I also think plenty of people buy them (ill fitted) to save money. I did this with Gen2 and hated them. Heads felt great but they were 10-12 yards shorter per club. That isn’t on PXG though, these don’t promise to fit everyone, it’s on you if you buy irons that don’t fit. 

The argument then goes back to paying for upcharge. Again, if you don’t like paying for it, then just pick a new company. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cardia10 said:

You’re just flat out wrong and continue to show your ignorance by the statements you make. Do you really believe that not one person actually fits into PXG’s stock shaft offering?? Oh, and btw the TT Elevate Tour shafts actually launch lower and have a lower peak height than DG… And for the 5th time, NOBODY IS FORCING YOU TO BUY PXG CLUBS. You really should get some professional help concerning your PXG issue.

D8515BAB-7988-49A9-8BA9-BAD11269D302.jpeg

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

12 hours ago, cardia10 said:

4 hours ago, leftycabe said:

Yes. You are right. These shafts are terrible and too light (can get them up to 121 grams) to be any good and no body would ever use them

I also hate that these had that pesky added tech that dampens vibration and improves feel for some. 

These things are so bad that they are an offering at TXG - where they are very selective about their shaft matrix and it’s hard to get something new added. It’s probably also why Ryan at TXG has them in his Mizuno irons. I’m sure he looked at the wall of shafts and said, “Here’s a terrible shaft that doesn’t offer anybody anything and nobody uses, I’ll throw that in and see how bad it is.”. Chez Revie also used it and everyone knows those tour players only use what they have access to, which is, oh wait……. Everything on the planet. 

By the way, you don’t hit a shaft high or low. A shaft doesn’t have loft. A shaft is a timing mechanism. 

I can’t wait for you to share more of your sage equipment knowledge. 

So why do you attack his "actually fits no one", quite obviously not meant to be taken literally, but refuse to acknowledge his "If you get good results from their stock shafts, play them" ?

Doesn't support your snark, does it ? :classic_rolleyes:

Perhaps his point should've been that those recently released (3 years ?) Elevate shafts are/may be one of the cheaper stock options offered ?

I first saw them in the Callaway demo racks what, maybe 3 years ago ? And now I think I've seen them in 1(?) other demo rack. TM was it ? Don't remember.

And it certainly doesn't refute the fact(?) that PXG upcharges ($30 ?) to go to any(?) other shaft that other companies don't charge anything extra for.

Oh, and BTW, while a shaft doesn't have loft, I do recall reading that shafts contribute to launch; high, low, medium. Or do I misremember ?

BTW#2 - did cardia even SAY shafts had loft ? Or are you simply using something else he said that was not meant to be taken literally ? Just askin'. :classic_wink:

• Like 1

Ping Glide Pro 48*

16 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

This is probably one of the dumbest statements I have ever read on here. You may not like them but they are definitely not trash. 

I agree. Plain uninformed at best. MMT were non up charge stock for a few years and if one thinks their trash there entitled to their opinion however I am curious of their definition of trash. Quite simply their very good shafts by most expert opinions. May not be one's cup of tea but their good for many. I know what I really would like to say on the statement but would be asked to leave forum,LOL.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, leftycabe said:

Can it just be said one final time that PXG is not for everyone. Neither is (insert any brand). The market dictates what is and is not okay. If Bob feels like he needs to increase sales, you may see him remove upcharges. If he doesn't care and is happy with the market share they have - he won't. This is all very simple. Hit the clubs. If you feel like the value of the club matches or exceeds the price tag - buy them. If you don't - don't. 

This is probably the single most “PXG” specific post. It’s the main thing I see in all these threads. I have seen few, if any, I got fit properly and the clubs still didn’t work. Even then, it has happened across any of the other club companies. I keep hoping one day we can move past it and actually have quality discussions when comparing brand offerings and include PXG in those talks. 

I was not a huge PXG fan until Gen3/4 came out but once I accepted their business model, it made it much easier to give it its fair go. I paid full boat for my Gen4 irons and have no regrets. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taylormade4life said:

This is probably the single most “PXG” specific post. It’s the main thing I see in all these threads. I have seen few, if any, I got fit properly and the clubs still didn’t work. Even then, it has happened across any of the other club companies. I keep hoping one day we can move past it and actually have quality discussions when comparing brand offerings and include PXG in those talks. 

That is not how it works or will work in the future.  It is a moral posturing/virtue signaling thing that will simply not go away.  Those who dislike PXG are betters and those who like PXG are lessers. 

I am a lesser and am totally okay with that.

• Like 3

Admittedly TRASH was a strong word for a simple shaft made for the masses with a low kick point to help people elevate the ball. I have never seen people so brand loyal, but I guess when you buy in enough to spend $5k on the whole setup, you are in neck deep before you know it. Again, I’ll just try them here after someone has upgraded the shafts and grips to what I have been fitted for at an 85% discount. 

2 hours ago, ExTrumpet said:

Received my new driver a month ago.  Easily the best driver I've ever hit.  Shipped FedEx, packaged extremely well. 

The PXG box is overkill, but really nice for my 0211 driver. 

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

1 hour ago, cardia10 said:

Admittedly TRASH was a strong word for a simple shaft made for the masses with a low kick point to help people elevate the ball. I have never seen people so brand loyal, but I guess when you buy in enough to spend $5k on the whole setup, you are in neck deep before you know it. Again, I’ll just try them here after someone has upgraded the shafts and grips to what I have been fitted for at an 85% discount. 

I don’t get your point… other brands don’t have crazy loyal people? If you get fit and pay a bunch of money for clubs that work, who cares? Do you get mad at people who drive exotic cars and say you will just buy a 10 year old model for 10X less? 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, taylormade4life said:

I don’t get your point… other brands don’t have crazy loyal people? If you get fit and pay a bunch of money for clubs that work, who cares? Do you get mad at people who drive exotic cars and say you will just buy a 10 year old model for 10X less? 

He has no point, he’s a butt hurt troll that is upset his 4yr old gen2 irons aren’t worth what he feels they should be. Then in the same breath he complains about upcharge for options on clubs he will never buy. He’s very uninformed and every time he makes a post he increasingly proves it. I show him data showing the Elevate Tour shaft is lower launching and lower peak height yet he calls them trash women’s shafts that go to the moon. He also stated that Lamkins are women’s grips, and the stock offerings from PXG fit NOBODY…  

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

6 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

He has no point, he’s a butt hurt troll that is upset his 4yr old gen2 irons aren’t worth what he feels they should be. Then in the same breath he complains about upcharge for options on clubs he will never buy. He’s very uninformed and every time he makes a post he increasingly proves it. I show him data showing the Elevate Tour shaft is lower launching and lower peak height yet he calls them trash women’s shafts that go to the moon. He also stated that Lamkins are also women’s grips, and the stock offerings from PXG fit NOBODY…  

I was just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but it def feels like that. Golf is a hobby that can be expensive, so what. A round at pebble is now over $500 but my local muni ain’t even close, 😂 not even comparable. Is that on pebble too? Where does it end?! 

• Like 1