2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Is PXG going out of business?

golfnhack

6 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

Yep, hard to find many in the market for used PXG irons…

I would have tried their blades had they been available when I was doing my iron search last year.  Used or new, wouldn't have cared.

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I rolled into golf galaxy with my new PXG irons in the nice black box the other day and asked the guy if I could get them gripped. He basically told me no. I think I was a victim of the PXG discrimination that's been going on in this world. 

Edited by Dannyboy44
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Dannyboy44 said:

I rolled into golf galaxy with my new PXG irons in the nice black box the other day and asked the guy if I could get them gripped. He basically told me no. I think I was a victim of the PXG discrimination that's been going on in this world. 

That’s just crazy… I would definitely make sure their corporate office knew that store was turning away business.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

5 minutes ago, Dannyboy44 said:

Be careful if you ever reshaft stuff with them. They need the shims to fit the .370 if you have .355 shafts. Not many I trust in club repair these days especially at big box stores. 

6 minutes ago, Dannyboy44 said:

Zero revenue is better than some revenue...In what world is that ok?...They don't mind trade-ins and reselling them...

1 hour ago, Laznasty said:

I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul." | Ultimate  Insult Man | Know Your Meme

So do you think PXG pays the same as Golf Galaxy for grips and shafts or are they charged triple? It doesn’t matter if you are installing an Elevate or S300, you are installing a shaft so why don’t PXG buy them cheaper at Golf Galaxy? I’m surprised the 4 of you don’t see how this is a little absurd. Walk into Dicks and buy a NDMC for $12 or PXG for $30? Labor is the same as a grip goes on the club. You would think an OEM get higher up the supply chain ladder than a retailer. 

9 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

So do you think PXG pays the same as Golf Galaxy for grips and shafts or are they charged triple? It doesn’t matter if you are installing an Elevate or S300, you are installing a shaft so why don’t PXG buy them cheaper at Golf Galaxy? I’m surprised the 4 of you don’t see how this is a little absurd. Walk into Dicks and buy a NDMC for $12 or PXG for $30? Labor is the same as a grip goes on the club. You would think an OEM get higher up the supply chain ladder than a retailer. 

Based on grip purchase volume, Golf Galaxy/Dick's would pay less than PXG for grips.  The $30 upcharge is too high but your thesis  on this particular OEM being higher on the food chain for grip purchases is dead wrong. 

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 10*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

23 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

What does it matter how much any company pays for an item? We are in a free market society that allows companies to price their products however the hell they want, AND consumers can choose to buy, or not buy based on that pricing. Frankly I’m sure PXG or anyone else on this board except yourself comprehend that fact. I really think that you’re whole situation boils down to jealousy, envy, and being frugal. You want new PXG clubs because you know they are good, but you’re hung up on 4yr old irons not being worth what you think they should be. In addition you also are jealous of those who have them, and you are too cheap to pay the up charges for the custom options you want so you just whine and complain trying to make others as miserable as you are. Sorry, not working. I LOVE MY PXG CLUBS and could care less about who the owner is, what their stock options are, or the prices they charge.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, rgk5 said:

Based on grip purchase volume, Golf Galaxy/Dick's would pay less than PXG for grips.  The $30 upcharge is too high but your thesis  on this particular OEM being higher on the food chain for grip purchases is dead wrong. 

I can factually say that Golf Galaxy/Dick’s/Golfworks are GolfPride’s largest customer by a considerable margin. I doubt anyone gets better pricing than they do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

I can factually say that Golf Galaxy/Dick’s/Golfworks are GolfPride’s largest customer by a considerable margin. I doubt anyone gets better pricing than they do.

With a combination of 933 locations that would make perfect sense.

2 minutes ago, rgk5 said:

With a combination of 933 locations that would make perfect sense.

Not to mention the business Golfworks does.

I didnt care Pxg is charging 30 a grip. i know that i can get the grip i want for 8.50 and to have them send them without grips. Did it bother me there 30$? NO Im sure pxg isnt charging that much if there wasnt a reason. i highly doubt there worried sbout nickeling and diming people for grips. They have a hard time getting them so its supply and demand. Same with shafts. Pxg thank you for sending my clubs without the grips on and for including the grips i didnt want soni can give them to my buddy thst needs new grips. If other people want to get the grips they want on there other branded clubs at no charge and wait 5 months for there clubs by all means do that. as far as golf galaxy not gripping my clubs bc they were pxg was a joke maybe they were just backed up. Lets also keep in mind people complsining about PXG are probably going to club champion and spending 1,000$ on a “custom fit” driver.

Edited by Dannyboy44
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dannyboy44 said:

I didnt care Pxg is charging 30 a grip. im smart enough to know that i can get the grip i want for 8.50 and to have them send them without grips. Did it bother me there 30$? NO Im sure pxg isnt charging that much if there wasnt a reason. i highly doubt there worried sbout nickeling and diming people for grips. They have a hard time getting them so its supply and demand. Same with shafts. Pxg thank you for sending my clubs without the grips on and for including the grips i didnt want soni can give them to my buddy thst needs new grips. If other people want to get the grips they want on there other branded clubs at no charge and wait 5 months for there clubs by all means do that. as far as golf galaxy not gripping my clubs bc they were pxg was a joke maybe they were just backed up. Lets also keep in mind people complsining about PXG are probably going to club champion and spending 1,000$ on a “custom fit” driver.

Thank you, a comment with a voice of reason, common sense, and based in reality. The funny thing is the guy complaining has a $2k Scotty Xerox putter, yet whines and complains about a $30 up charge on a grip and shaft…. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Thank you, a comment with a voice of reason, common sense, and based in reality. The funny thing is the guy complaining has a $2k Scotty Xerox putter, yet whines and complains about a $30 up charge on a grip and shaft…. 🤣

now if you want to start a convo about burger king charging extra for cheese thats a whole new conversation.

• Haha 3

Just now, Dannyboy44 said:

now if you want to start a convo about burger king charging extra for cheese thats a whole new conversation.

Just spit out my drink… Now that was funny!

49 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

image.gif.5760ce75b0a699f89eda01f141393595.gif

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

42 minutes ago, Dannyboy44 said:

I didnt care Pxg is charging 30 a grip. i know that i can get the grip i want for 8.50 and to have them send them without grips. Did it bother me there 30$? NO Im sure pxg isnt charging that much if there wasnt a reason. i highly doubt there worried sbout nickeling and diming people for grips. They have a hard time getting them so its supply and demand. Same with shafts. Pxg thank you for sending my clubs without the grips on and for including the grips i didnt want soni can give them to my buddy thst needs new grips. If other people want to get the grips they want on there other branded clubs at no charge and wait 5 months for there clubs by all means do that. as far as golf galaxy not gripping my clubs bc they were pxg was a joke maybe they were just backed up. Lets also keep in mind people complsining about PXG are probably going to club champion and spending 1,000$ on a “custom fit” driver.

I would put club champion even a level above PXG based on the forums here. 2 year old model driver that is probably ill fitting but don’t care. Paid $10 for the grip on it and got it here with free shipping. I guess my simple thought is you get what you pay for. Do you get double the performance with PXG based on the price? I hope so because they are priced like a scratch handicap is included. 

Edited by cardia10

12 hours ago, cardia10 said:

I would put club champion even a level above PXG based on the forums here. 2 year old model driver that is probably ill fitting but don’t care. Paid $10 for the grip on it and got it here with free shipping. I guess my simple thought is you get what you pay for. Do you get double the performance with PXG based on the price? I hope so because they are priced like a scratch handicap is included. 

I play them bc there irins are the best for me. Ive played numerous brands. They offer options that suit my budget(gen 3’s) and yes they are better for me than the newer versions of clubs that came out. I also play them bc they look good in my bag🤷🏼‍♂️, however its my money i spend it on what i want. you are entitled to your opinion and i understand where your coming from thats why i didnt pay extra for grips. It just didnt bother me enough to not buy them. i talked on the phone with one of there employees and had fun talking about golf and his past jobs. I text him here and there about anything and that makes up for the grip issue. He made me feel like it wasnt just a sale and thats worth way more than a $30 grip issue

Edited by Dannyboy44
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Well, since you continue to hang your hat on cardia saying the Elevates fit "Nobody", even though you know that wasn't meant literally, how do you know "nobody" is forcing him to buy PXG clubs ? :deadhorse:

Anywho, since nobody chose to answer my questions from a couple of days ago, and you appear to be the #1 defender of PXG, let me (re-)ask my questions to you.

It seems to me the big boys change over annually but seldom, if ever, have very much of a previous year model available after the switchover.

This is just not accurate. Several OEM’s not only have last years models in the marketplace, but have models that are two or more years old in the marketplace. There are many examples of this, Original Sim drivers, SM7 wedges, G400 drivers, Epic drivers. There are even “re-engineered” models of older Cobra and Taylormade drivers in the marketplace

They may have a few sets left over and, in rare cases, such as the recent re-release/"dump" of Ping's IEI1 (or whatever it's called) or TM's M6 drivers. I recall back ~2010(?) Ping dumping dozens of Rapture drivers at about $100 per.

I see on the PXG site 0211, Gen 3, Gen4, & the newly released Gen 5.

Yes, PXG does have 11 models of irons on their site from current to 3 years ago at different prices. However, Taylormade has 12 models at different prices on their site from current to 4 years ago. Callaway has 11 models of irons on their site from current to 3 years ago. 

I assume this corresponds to (roughly) the year introduced. And then there's the "model"; 0311T, XP, whatever.

Do you know if PXG is still manufacturing the older models if/when someone orders them ? Or are all these heads left over from the year they were actually made and are actually just being "closed out" ? You know, rather than "On sale at 1/3 the original price" ?

I don’t know if they are, but I would assume they either made a large purchase before the supply chain issues started or are continuing to buy components. Considering the Gen3 models have been at the reduced price for almost a year it would seem that they have them in stock, I would assume they maybe did both. 

Oh, one other thing.

It's been claimed that PXG charges ~$30 or so to upgrade to another (any  other ?) steel shaft. Do you agree with that ? Is that accurate ?

I’ve seen up charges anywhere from $15 to $75 for iron shafts, so it would seem accurate.

If it IS accurate and the Elevate shaft is so good, why do you suppose PXG charges an additional $30 or more for an inferior shaft ? One that other manufacturers offer for $0 ?

Once again, I’m not privy to the inner workings of PXG’s purchasing dept. I can only assume that possibly they made a very large purchase of Elevate/Tour shafts and MMT shafts. Maybe they did that to get a better price, or maybe the data they had from their fittings showed that those shafts fit the majority of the customers that bought clubs. 
The word inferior once is just wrong. Once again I have no knowledge of the inner workings of PXG, but common sense and understanding basic business would lead one to believe they pay more for “non stock” shafts then stock models. Each OEM has a different model for stock and up charge options. For example, I can get a set of Taylormade irons but the MMT is a $28 upcharge over the stock Fujikura model. 

Thank you for answering my questions.

Since the intent of this thread isn't (really) about discussing all these business models and current/older offerings and issues, I'll just leave it here.

You're ALL welcome !!! :classic_laugh:  tip hat.gif

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

6 hours ago, GoGoErky said:

You might want to go back a page as I answered your question. 

So you did. Apologies.

So the older generations are leftovers then. That's what I suspected.

Thanks.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Y’all do realize…..you charge what your customers are willing to pay.  

What your supplies cost you is your business…not your customer’s….

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

3 hours ago, mshills said:

Y’all do realize…..you charge what your customers are willing to pay.  

What your supplies cost you is your business…not your customer’s….

Can’t argue with that at all. I’m honestly shocked I guess more with customers willingness to pay that much for something that is stock and it was said earlier, but the elevate stock shafts were poor selling leftovers that they jumped on. Smart on their part for delivery times, but it was never a good shaft until it became their stock shaft then it seems to fit everyone. 

5 hours ago, cardia10 said:

Can’t argue with that at all. I’m honestly shocked I guess more with customers willingness to pay that much for something that is stock and it was said earlier, but the elevate stock shafts were poor selling leftovers that they jumped on. Smart on their part for delivery times, but it was never a good shaft until it became their stock shaft then it seems to fit everyone. 

What data do you have that verifies that they are poor sellers?  You would have to examine a huge number of golf bags worldwide or have access to OEM order banks to make such a bold statement. 

2 hours ago, rgk5 said:

What data do you have that verifies that they are poor sellers?  You would have to examine a huge number of golf bags worldwide or have access to OEM order banks to make such a bold statement. 

Look at any bag you see every time you go to play. You will never ever see a set of elevate shafts unless they are in PXG. That tells you everything you need with data. My club has 350 and other that the 20 or so guys with PXG, I have yet to see another set. It is common knowledge that they were TTs lower end offering in steel. Hence why no other OEMs use them as stock. This is why PXG can deliver in 10 days. They purchased large quantities to have something to put in clubs. Do a 3rd party fitting with anyone other than PXG and I’d say maybe 1/10 people may fit those shafts. Would be nice if PXG sold heads only and discounted maybe….$39 per head for the “value” of the shafts but Parsons doesn’t want to be a component company. I think they have sacrificed overall quality for delivery times. Probably a good strategy the way the world is at the moment but it won’t be this way forever. 

Honestly, I could care less about shafts or grips from PXG. I just think it is been funny seeing people so stirred up defending a brand that doesn’t pay them. No of us have real data and we know nothing but we sure are all firm in our beliefs. Kind of like when everyone was playing a lady precept and swore it was the best thing ever. We all found out we were basically playing a noodle and felt like idiots. The ones that still believed the magic basically changed the name to Laddie instead of Lady and probably still have 6 dozen in their closet.  The whole golf industry is smoke and mirrors filled with BS marketing as we all know, specs and rules basically make all clubs quite comparable other than personal opinion and what fits your eye the best.  

Edited by cardia10
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1