2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Is PXG going out of business?

golfnhack

21 minutes ago, SEP1006 said:

Yeh I don't get this either. I don't think I've EVER bought anything in my life thinking about the resale value.

Hell back years ago I bought / played one of the worst brands you could buy for resale value and never gave it a second thought. KZG blades, probably worth about 10% what you payed for them when trying to resale.

Real estate, definitely.  A vehicle, maybe....even if you plan to keep the car for 10+ years, things happen where high resale value can still benefit you.  But I look at a set of irons as a consumable, no different than a box of Pro Vs or a bottle of bourbon.

Look, if PxG or any other brand doesn't fit your game or your eye or whatever, no problem, play what you like.  That is for dang sure what I do!  I don't understand the passion that this subject gins up.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I have a hard time understanding the complaints on PXG gear retained value when I can buy some of the best irons at $130 and $90 per club, NEW.  My Gen 4 driver cost $200 less then the Sim Max in my alternate bag.  At some point I’ll replace the Sim with a Gen 5 driver.  The Gen 4 already knocked the Sim out of my primary bag.  Would I buy the new Gen 5 gear at current prices?  Not sure, unless the performance makes them worth it to me - strictly a value decision.  

Quite honestly, PXG business model is getting easier to predict and when the cost of something meets my value requirements, I’ll buy it.  If someone else doesn’t approach it similarly, then they are just making either a poor financial decision or have more discretionary funds that allow the value for them to be at a higher threshold than mine.

Lastly, I can say I’ve never bought any brand of golf club that grossly exceeds the depreciation of another including Nike, Mizuno, TaylorMade and PXG.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2022 at 3:04 PM, cardia10 said:

Unfortunately I already own a set and I just saw the exact set listed on the BST for $650. Mine was listed for $450 with zero messages. I'll wait until someone does a 50% trade in sale and dump them.....and they have "upgraded" dynamic gold shafts and NDMC grips. I'm not hurt about it and it isn't a big deal. I just was making others aware of their cost to "upgrade" to what many other OEMs consider standard. 

Now back to the point of the thread, they aren't going out of business because Bob is too proud and has too much money for that. In 5 years though, they went from a company who wouldn't give free clubs or pay marketing to pros or discount clubs to a very different model. Gives quite a bit of insight about them "changing the industry" as they called it.

Problem with your used Gen 2s is that people can buy brand new Gen 3s for just a bit more. And they don’t

care about the standard shafts. They’ll just swap them out for one of the sets of shafts they have laying around from one of the last 50 iron set purchases they’ve made over the last three years.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tecombs71 said:

Problem with your used Gen 2s is that people can buy brand new Gen 3s for just a bit more. And they don’t

care about the standard shafts. They’ll just swap them out for one of the sets of shafts they have laying around from one of the last 50 iron set purchases they’ve made over the last three years.

Well said! What someone thinks their clubs are worth versus what the market price is are two different things. Holding on to clubs too long is a mistake for someone is worried about trade in value….

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

17 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Well said! What someone thinks their clubs are worth versus what the market price is are two different things. Holding on to clubs too long is a mistake for someone is worried about trade in value….

My personal set is a weird one for me. The trade in value, especially with Rock Bottom’s 50% trade in is much higher than resell. The trade in without the 50% is higher than they sell here or on EBay. That is rare to find clubs that resell lower than the trade in value but at least it gives me options on dumping them. Just wish the market was different and companies would do the 200% trade in bonus again. I’ve said it before, but I don’t think they are bad clubs. They are great if you want or need extra distance with your irons. I just dislike the marketing and they way you are nickel and dimed during purchase. $60 shipping? We all sell clubs here and know what it costs to ship a set of irons and they get huge discounts for volume shipping. If I’m buying a premium product, treat me like a premium customer. Guess my friends are too busy getting in my wallet. Kaboom baby….second coming of the Hammer. 

Edited by cardia10

The answer is still no

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

On 4/24/2022 at 1:19 PM, cardia10 said:

My personal set is a weird one for me. The trade in value, especially with Rock Bottom’s 50% trade in is much higher than resell. The trade in without the 50% is higher than they sell here or on EBay. That is rare to find clubs that resell lower than the trade in value but at least it gives me options on dumping them. Just wish the market was different and companies would do the 200% trade in bonus again. I’ve said it before, but I don’t think they are bad clubs. They are great if you want or need extra distance with your irons. I just dislike the marketing and they way you are nickel and dimed during purchase. $60 shipping? We all sell clubs here and know what it costs to ship a set of irons and they get huge discounts for volume shipping. If I’m buying a premium product, treat me like a premium customer. Guess my friends are too busy getting in my wallet. Kaboom baby….second coming of the Hammer. 

perception, that’s all. I don’t care what they label stuff. It’s about the total cost, and after shipping they have options that are still significantly cheaper compared to competition. They have to somehow make it financially work. 

other companies would bake in shipping cost in club prices, no worries, you are paying it. This set up does allow the avoidance of shipping cost if you happen to live in the area of one of their retail shops. 

with a strategy of more and more retail shops chances are that you will pay zip in shipping. You just avoided $60 in club cost going in your pocket rather than theirs.

It’s just what you choose to see. I see a company seriously revolutionizing the club buying experience AND club pricing in consumer favor. Hear hear!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jimi Thing said:

perception, that’s all. I don’t care what they label stuff. It’s about the total cost, and after shipping they have options that are still significantly cheaper compared to competition. They have to somehow make it financially work. 

other companies would bake in shipping cost in club prices, no worries, you are paying it. This set up does allow the avoidance of shipping cost if you happen to live in the area of one of their retail shops. 

with a strategy of more and more retail shops chances are that you will pay zip in shipping. You just avoided $60 in club cost going in your pocket rather than theirs.

It’s just what you choose to see. I see a company seriously revolutionizing the club buying experience AND club pricing in consumer favor. Hear hear!

Everyone says other companies are baking in shipping but PXG is double the price for the exact specs in DGs300 shafts and NDMC grips and is $69 shipping on top of that. For $2400 for a set of irons, they aren’t even blatant that you are getting ripped extra for shipping. There is no “perception” here. It is simply basic math. They overcharge customers to ship. Yeah, you get a box…guess that comes in handy when you have to dump them on the BST here for an 89% loss. At least every other OEM is 1200 including shipping. It would be nothing for them to correct but I guess as long as people pay triple for the retail shipping cost, they will keep charging it. 

Edited by cardia10
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

Everyone says other companies are Baki g in shipping but PXG is double the price for the exact specs in DGs300 shafts and NDMC grips and is $69 shipping on top of that. For $2400 for a set of irons, they aren’t even blatant that you are getting ripped extra for shipping. At least every other OEM is 1200 including shipping. It would be nothing for them to correct but I guess as long as people pay triple for the retail shipping cost, they will keep charging it. 

How many companies are sending a nice branded labeled box inside a shipping box for all their clubs?

Scotty Cameron has the yellow box. Sub70 uses a branded box but doesn’t place it in another shipping box

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

The same ones who complain about shipping are the same ones who expect BST sellers to come down $10 or $20 before they'll purchase a club. Guess they don't care who eats the cost as long as it's not them. #Cheapos SMH!

Charge reasonable shipping all day but to charge triple the actual cost of shipping is just crazy. The crazier part is that obviously there is a thread of people here believing this is normal business. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

You can't ship a club for much less than $20 these days. There's just a group of people who don't care about an extra $10 and want the product. IMO, if it's a concern, maybe that person should reconsider if the club purchase is a wise "investment."

No, we can’t but if anyone believes they are paying retail for shipping is lost on what discounts companies get and 20 + 10 never has = 60. They pay a negotiated rate of 8-12 per set I would bet. Just another way to make a little more. Ole Bob didn’t get rich by not making every dime he could. Can’t blame him but can not support that type of business. 

14 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

You can't ship a club for much less than $20 these days. There's just a group of people who don't care about an extra $10 and want the product. IMO, if it's a concern, maybe that person should reconsider if the club purchase is a wise "investment."

I just sold a putter and shipped it USPS Priority, and it cost $35.00 (with a USPS Priority putter box).  I shipped another putter with a generic box UPS ground and it cost $27.00.  Shipping costs are high these days.  I remember when I could ship a putter for $12-$15.

• Like 4

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

1 minute ago, cardia10 said:

No, we can’t but if anyone believes they are paying retail for shipping is lost on what discounts companies get and 20 + 10 never has = 60. They pay a negotiated rate of 8-12 per set I would bet. Just another way to make a little more. Ole Bob didn’t get rich by not making every dime he could. Can’t blame him but can not support that type of business. 

Yup, volume contracts tend to work like that which is no surprise to anyone. Yet many don't give a hoot. Just another reason PXG is not going out of business. So to keep crying about it endlessly seems like a waste to me. 

1 hour ago, pgetzen said:

I just sold a putter and shipped it USPS Priority, and it cost $35.00 (with a USPS Priority putter box).  I shipped another putter with a generic box UPS ground and it cost $27.00.  Shipping costs are high these days.  I remember when I could ship a putter for $12-$15.

USPS has recently added a $15(?) surcharge to every package over a certain length - that would include ALL golf clubs. :classic_sad:

• Sad 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

30 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Nobody is making you buy PXG clubs……. We get it, you’re cheap and like to complain about what PXG charges. You’ve made that perfectly clear with your dozens of posts complaining about prices. However, the overwhelming majority of posters here don’t have a problem with PXG and enjoy their clubs. 

And you have posted just as many times defending PXG on every one of my posts so guess that makes us even. I understand I’m posting in a PXG thread where 95% of posters are brand loyalists as seen by their witb. I’m free to share my experience here and you are free to respond or not to respond. That’s how online forums tend to work. Every time I see PXG, I’m posting my experience. I’m not hurt about it but I don’t want new people to the sport to think this is how every company does business. Too many consumers have Hammer drivers and Warrior clubs in their bags and think that getting bent over is ok. 

Edited by cardia10

1 hour ago, cardia10 said:

And you have posted just as many times defending PXG on every one of my posts so guess that makes us even. I understand I’m posting in a PXG thread where 95% of posters are brand loyalists as seen by their witb. I’m free to share my experience here and you are free to respond or not to respond. That’s how online forums tend to work. Every time I see PXG, I’m posting my experience. I’m not hurt about it but I don’t want new people to the sport to think this is how every company does business. Too many consumers have Hammer drivers and Warrior clubs in their bags and think that getting bent over is ok. 

So you’re not hurt about PXG yet you continually post about how they use “ladies” shafts and grips, compare their clubs to Hammer drivers and Warrior clubs, and whine about the used value of a set of clubs that are 3 generations and 4 years old. Sounds like jealousy to me….

• Like 3

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

3 hours ago, hammergolf said:

So you’re not hurt about PXG yet you continually post about how they use “ladies” shafts and grips, compare their clubs to Hammer drivers and Warrior clubs, and whine about the used value of a set of clubs that are 3 generations and 4 years old. Sounds like jealousy to me….

Their stock offerings on shafts are trash, yes, 100%. They up charge $30 for a $7 grip and $39 for a shaft that is FREE from every other OEM. After these up charges, their clubs come in at double the price of every other OEM with the only data backing that value up is the handful of people that have paid full price and also spring for the bag and umbrella. There is one of those at every club. Yep, you got me. Bought a used set here for $500 instead of $2,400 to try them out. They are like a set of 790s minus the resale value. Saw an older set listed today in the BST for $800 and was thinking that poor person will be lucky to get $300 for them. Trade in value is higher than resell so we have that going for us though. 

Could you explain what I’m jealous of? I’d call it disappointed that a $2,400 set of irons won’t sell used for $300. Maybe jaded over PXG’s marketing, upcharges then poor performance in head to head testing. The beauty is with these threads, they pop up in lots of google searches so it no only helps members here to see the full scope, non members searching clubs can find ALL of the info, not just the neon lights and screaming. Again, back on track…they aren’t going out of business but their business tactics are a little out of wack unless you are under 30 or over 30 and got taken at full retail for the whole setup and have plenty of money to burn. 

Edited by cardia10
  • Like 1

I would like free shipping but saying $60 for shipping irons is overpriced is just wrong.  It is easily $60 to ship a set of irons.  I paid $40 to ship a driver UPS last year.  So come on…..

And trade in values?  I had a guy offer me $50 for a $400 Titleist 917 driver on this forum.  They want you to give it away.  Listed Mizuno mp 5s for $400 free shipping and I was still getting insulting offers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cardia10 said:

Their stock offerings on shafts are trash, yes, 100%. They up charge $30 for a $7 grip and $39 for a shaft that is FREE from every other OEM. After these up charges, their clubs come in at double the price of every other OEM with the only data backing that value up is the handful of people that have paid full price and also spring for the bag and umbrella. There is one of those at every club. Yep, you got me. Bought a used set here for $500 instead of $2,400 to try them out. They are like a set of 790s minus the resale value. Saw an older set listed today in the BST for $800 and was thinking that poor person will be lucky to get $300 for them. Trade in value is higher than resell so we have that going for us though. 

Could you explain what I’m jealous of? I’d call it disappointed that a $2,400 set of irons won’t sell used for $300. Maybe jaded over PXG’s marketing, upcharges then poor performance in head to head testing. The beauty is with these threads, they pop up in lots of google searches so it no only helps members here to see the full scope, non members searching clubs can find ALL of the info, not just the neon lights and screaming. Again, back on track…they aren’t going out of business but their business tactics are a little out of wack unless you are under 30 or over 30 and got taken at full retail for the whole setup and have plenty of money to burn. 

I mean this as respectfully…….. For every opinion you have and every “fact” that you are throwing out, there is someone who feels the exact opposite and “facts” to argue the opposite. I think your point is plenty clear to everyone - you don’t like PXG and you don’t see the value. That’s completely fine and doesn’t take away from those that like them. 

You continue to claim you are protecting the less savvy consumer. We live in an era where information is everywhere. If someone can’t do 10 minutes of research to understand a company might charge more than another, I don’t think there is any “saving” them. 

We can pick apart any brand if all we want to do is look at the negative. Should we start a thread complaining that Titleist charges too much for what they create and sell and that’s why they are up 86% year over year and 48% over 2019? 

• Like 3

I also found the fact you have to pay a ridiculous amount of money for 1) shaft and 2) grip is crazy. A $9 Dollar grip is $30..And the funny part about it, in 3 months they will be discounting these irons to move them.  Do I think they look nice, sure. But at the end of the day. I prefer the look of my Titleist Irons. And they are a fraction of the cost. 

• Like 1

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree Ventus Red 6s

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-200 4-5  Fujikura Axiom 105S

Titleist T-150 6-PW Fujikura Axiom 105S

Titleist SM10 50.12F,56.12D,60.04T

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow