2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ryder Cup 2020/21 (***NO COVID/POLITICS***)

MattyO1984

5 hours ago, memberguest said:

To do what with? Aren't these non-profit orgs? Just boosting their budgets then? 

Fair enough if they can get some of the best players in the world to play for free and do something patriotic. 

There was controversy 20 years ago or so - I believe centered around David Duval pointing out that the PGA and the European Tour were making tens millions off of an exhibition while the players were expected to play for free "for their country".  Pretty sure it was around the 1999 matches at Brookline.  They struck a compromise where the players were allocated money they could direct to a charity of their choice.  Apparently that still happens.

https://golf.com/news/ryder-cup-winnings-what-players-get-winning-ryder-cup/

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

What will Stricker's tattoo to mark the winning occasion be (or say) and where on his body will he have it put?   

Ryder Cup 2021

USA 19 - Europe 9 

Screenshot-2021-09-27-at-12.01.30.png

Edited by Nail_It
grammar

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

5 hours ago, memberguest said:

Since the players don't get paid for Ryder Cup. Where does all the money go from the endless TV commercials they run during the event? 

I read some of it goes to charity and expenses. But what about the rest? 

The net profit from a Ryder Cup  (for the PGA of America and PGA Europe) is approximately $75 million. This money is used to finance the initiatives of those organizations, including junior golf programs.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

11 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Is Zack Johnson a leader, though?  Sure he's won a couple of majors, but he barely cracked the Top 10 rankings that many times in his career.  I just don't envision a lot of excitement for him being captain.

They should give it to Azinger again, so he can prove (or not) that he can win in Europe.  Winning in the U.S. is a lot easier.

Was Stricker considered a leader? Honest question?

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

6 hours ago, imakaveli said:

Chunked his occasion to tie the match

Tie the final match of a Ryder Cup that had LONG since been decided.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

1 hour ago, Nail_It said:

What will Stricker's tattoo to mark the winning occasion be (or say) and where on his body will he have it put?   

Ryder Cup 2021

USA 19 - Europe 9 

Screenshot-2021-09-27-at-12.01.30.png

He’s backtracked on the tattoo 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

7 hours ago, imakaveli said:

PGA of America and European Tour.

And the television networks, big time. They don't spend that time and effort without a huge return on the investment. 

• Thanks 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

6 hours ago, elwhippy said:

The way the European Tour is shrinking I can see future sides being picked more from the World list as we seem to be running events where the prize pot is less than second place in a US event. The European media put enormous pressure on the Captain to pick the old guard for nostalgic reasons...SKY TV were bleating about "can't have a Ryder Cup without Poulter..". 

Next RC in Italy should see a radically different team minus the old guard. Another hiding like last night and Euro sponsors will jump ship. 

And yet, that's what SkyTV got, a RC without Poulter.

What I wonder is the Euro RC Team qualification system and the depth of talent such a problem that changes are needed to not have Poulter, Westwood, and Casey on the team in 2023?  I would think time / age alone would solve that issue.  Look at U.S.; finally no Furyk, Phil, and Tiger.  Although it wasn't just time/age that got rid of them, it took some bad driving too 😉 

12 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Stricker was a leader. A player’s leader who let the team do what they wanted to do. It worked. 

As I understand it, there were a number of 'little things' done that havent been done a lot in the past:  Not keeping a rigid off-course schedule.  Letting the caddies and families be around a lot as opposed to keeping the team sequestered together all the time.  Almost like keeping it as much of a PGA Tour event feel as possible.

It's not hard to guess who the captains will be. They've all been vice captains in the recent past. On the job training, so to speak. 

I can't think of anyone who could manage a team full of huge egos by being too strict or demanding with them. I think that's why they've gone away from the Hal Sutton type personalities and selected guys who are friendlier with the players and not so far removed from their peak playing days. 

A competent, engaged manager is a lot more effective than a fiery so-called inspirational leader. 

• Like 3

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, tatertot said:

Was Stricker considered a leader? Honest question?

When the reporter asked at the team presser about Stricker being a captain again in 23, to a man all the players said yes.  When someone asked JT a question about Tiger, JT responded, "Tiger who?"

It wasn't that long ago that Phil Mickelson was throwing Tom Watson under the bus in these pressers.

4 minutes ago, JaNelson38 said:

When the reporter asked at the team presser about Stricker being a captain again in 23, to a man all the players said yes.  When someone asked JT a question about Tiger, JT responded, "Tiger who?"

It wasn't that long ago that Phil Mickelson was throwing Tom Watson under the bus in these pressers.

The answer is "Tiger who drove Tour purses and endorsement dollars up to the level where you can act like that, that's who."

Edited by me05501

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

9 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

And yet, that's what SkyTV got, a RC without Poulter.

What I wonder is the Euro RC Team qualification system and the depth of talent such a problem that changes are needed to not have Poulter, Westwood, and Casey on the team in 2023?  I would think time / age alone would solve that issue.  Look at U.S.; finally no Furyk, Phil, and Tiger.  Although it wasn't just time/age that got rid of them, it took some bad driving too 😉 

That is the reason Rory tearful interview after the game….he doesn’t see upcoming young Euro’s can take the challenge in next 10 years.  We still got Woff, Reed, Champ….

2 minutes ago, me05501 said:

The answer is "Tiger who drove Tour purses and endorsement dollars up to the level where you can act like that, that's who."

You still have to be good enough to collect those purses and endorsement dollars.

I think what JT is referring to is the fact that TIger is no longer the face of American golf.  These guys are now.  When Stricker said "This is a new era for USA golf", that was a direct statement to say the US has officially moved on from the Tiger/Phil era, and the new stars are now sitting at that team room.

1 minute ago, 2011l6 said:

That is the reason Rory tearful interview after the game….he doesn’t see upcoming young Euro’s can take the challenge in next 10 years.  We still got Woff, Reed, Champ….

Nah, disagree. 

The US team made a major change to its selection process before this RC because we'd been losing so consistently. The Euros can change their own rules if it benefits them. 

There was also an unusually large home course advantage this time around for the USA. It was originally expected that the galleries would include 1/3 Euro fans but they couldn't travel here to support their side. This had two effects: one, almost everyone on the property was rooting for the USA, and two, people felt emboldened to act out more because there were no Euro fans around to worry about offending (or starting a fight or whatever). It was very lopsided. 

We were playing our usual casual round on the course yesterday and I tried to imagine what it would be like to know that tens of thousands of people were immediately going to react to each shot right after club contact. It's gotta be a huge deal even for such seasoned pros. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

1 minute ago, JaNelson38 said:

You still have to be good enough to collect those purses and endorsement dollars.

I think what JT is referring to is the fact that TIger is no longer the face of American golf.  These guys are now.  When Stricker said "This is a new era for USA golf", that was a direct statement to say the US has officially moved on from the Tiger/Phil era, and the new stars are now sitting at that team room.

Yeah, sure, I get that. But saying "Tiger who?" while you're sitting on a mountain of Tigerbucks seems really disrespectful. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

5 minutes ago, me05501 said:

The U.S. team all clapped when Stricker thanked Tiger.  It was pre-drunk fest and a quick response, so it looked pretty genuine.  Those guys all know the altar of Tiger needs a nod as an acknowledgement of their fat bank accounts.

• Like 1

Just now, dwboston said:

JT's "Tiger who?" response is missing some context.  The reporter asking the question was trying to get them to divulge the context of text messages Tiger had sent to the team.  JT kept playing dumb by saying "Tiger who?" to get the reporter to drop it.  No one was disrespecting Tiger.

That makes sense. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Congratuations to Team USA for a well deserved victory.

Not buying the Brooksie/BDC love in for one moment but who cares with that scoreline. Also I don't think you can underestimate the effect of very, very few European fans there at the event to give any kind of spark when something went well for the team.

And now the European Team need perform a full re-set into a younger, more hungry set of in-form players for 2023 in Italy if they are going to challenge this young (ish) USA team.

• Like 1
Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Vanquish 4 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

Cool. I wasn't watching the presser in real time, so I'm happy to stand corrected. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

2 hours ago, 2011l6 said:

Wolff isn’t going to be anything, neither is Champ. In my opinion they’ll be nice players but nothing great in the annals of golfing history. I could be totally wrong but I just don’t see it. If Cameron wasn’t extraordinarily long, and if Wolff didn’t have that goofball swing I don’t think they’d be talked about as highly as they are. But they do so they’ve stood out from their peers. If I had to put money on either of them though, I’d go with Champ as much as I don’t think he’s going to develop and I worry about injury with both of them. When I hear players (in any sport) talk of mental issues (which I know are real and it’s great they’re  shining a spotlight on it) I worry, because at some point you have to answer the bell, this is what you do. It’s going to be get more and more common though as the next generation of athletes take over, because they’re growing up with social media where they’re connected more than ever and hear the negative comments better than ever before because it’s pumped right to them in their phones. So in conclusion I don’t think, in my opinion that Wolff or Champ will be good enough to be stalwarts on the US Ryder Cup team, will either of them make a team possibly. Multiple teams? I kinda doubt it.

Edited by BNGL
Their to they’re
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, 2011l6 said:

It's going to be tough for Euro to step up the team.  But it's still golf, and the fact is U.S. has not won in Europe since 1993.  So let's see what happens in Italy before we start talking dynasty.

As for Rory tearing up...he's an emotional guy.  A lot of people are not used to that.  It was obviously an overwhelming moment for him.  He beat Xander but it didn't mean really anything.  Good for him he lets it all out.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JaNelson38 said:

As I understand it, there were a number of 'little things' done that havent been done a lot in the past:  Not keeping a rigid off-course schedule.  Letting the caddies and families be around a lot as opposed to keeping the team sequestered together all the time.  Almost like keeping it as much of a PGA Tour event feel as possible.

And not having Tiger and Phil crap the bed and having the best team OWGR ever didn’t hurt

Edited by Holy Moses

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna