2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Dave Pelz and the 64 deg wedge

playit

I always have a 64 in the bag and used to use it for all types of shots...  until I learned how to open up my 58 and use its bounce.  Because of this change I don't blade shots over the green and only use the 64 a couple times a year for circus shots.  Dangerous club but glad I have it when I land behind a tree and need to pop ball straight up in air or when I am deep in a bunker and just need more loft.

• Like 1

I’m at 46-52-58-64 currently .. but have played 46-50-55-60-64 a lot

5 wedges … i drop a 6i or a 50* depending on course and event

Home course has small raised crazy fast and sloped greens with deep traps, it’s a big help

I use the 64 greenside constantly and it my go to wedge for short sided pitches and chips as well

The Wrx grind on my tour W 64 is awesome. I Have also played with a PM grind 64 (for me more of a sand club vs a fairway club) in the past and the old sm2 64.07 Vokey a lot

• Like 3

Cally AIS TD Max 11.5* Ventus Black TR 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 17* Ventus Black 5x 

Callaway ‘16 GBB 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

On 9/13/2021 at 5:22 AM, playit said:

Whatever happened with the Dave Pelz theory of adding a 64 degree wedge? Do any pros use this currently? What about him teaching that system, does he? I see a couple of 64 degree wedges offered but has the 64 degree largely gone the way of the dodo bird? I did try to add the 64 several years ago over a period of a few months but it never stuck, I just used my 60 as max loft. Open the face if needed. What do you guys know about this?

Two years ago I added a 64* wedge and love it. My wedge technique is not good and I always struggled with a 58* or 60* wedge. For me the 64* is easier than a 58* or 60* because the 64* shots stop where they land, without having to open the face. I use the 64* for shots ranging from 40 to 70 yards.

• Like 2

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

20 hours ago, Superfast2.0 said:

May be hard to justify carrying a 64 for a lot of people with how little they may need to use it. If you add a 64, what club can you take out? FW, long iron or another wedge?

It creates a bit of a gap between my hybrid (220-ish) and 5-iron (195).  I've found I have way more shots per round where my 64* can help me than shots from 210 yards out where I'm in between clubs.

• Like 3

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Callaway Paradym HL (set to 15.5*) Speeder Evolution V 661

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6
Ping i530 5-UW Alta CB Black

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

7 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

Me personally I can't even use a 60° consistently so 58° is the maximum lofted wedge in my bag. 

The only 60° I ever used consistently came with a set of component irons I had built for back in 1994. It worked well off an unusually fluffy Bermuda strain popular down in Dallas area. It was great for popping shots over the chocolate drop mounds that ringed many greens, and for cut shots into tight pins.

BUT, things changed when I moved to Southwest Oklahoma and was playing off a lot of hard pan and tight lies. The 60° started launching a bullet about every third time I hit it. Went to using it maybe once a month when I had cushioning under the shot.

When I redid my wedges a couple of years back, I went with Calla 48-54-60. The 60° was an MD-PM U-grind (concave sole). It was great inside 30 yards, but I had distance control problems on longer shots. After a season I switched to my current 58°.

In 2016 I did find a 60° I really liked. At a golf expo I got to hit KickX prototype wedges. The 60° was super - I could hit full swing shots with no real falloff in yardage. Unfortunately, the wedges never became a production model. (KickX is a branch of Medicus, which makes golf training clubs and related training products. KickX made several club models for on-course play.)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I think a 64° wedge is absolutely essential for when I'm greenside and the pin is 30 feet away. No way I'm bumping and running a 9 iron. No way man, I'm laying that baby open and taking a full swing and flopping the ball beside the pin. YEAH BABY!!!

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
3 (18°) & 4 (21°) Cleveland Halo XL hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

4 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

The only 60° I ever used consistently came with a set of component irons I had built for back in 1994. It worked well off an unusually fluffy Bermuda strain popular down in Dallas area. It was great for popping shots over the chocolate drop mounds that ringed many greens, and for cut shots into tight pins.

BUT, things changed when I moved to Southwest Oklahoma and was playing off a lot of hard pan and tight lies. The 60° started launching a bullet about every third time I hit it. Went to using it maybe once a month when I had cushioning under the shot.

When I redid my wedges a couple of years back, I went with Calla 48-54-60. The 60° was an MD-PM U-grind (concave sole). It was great inside 30 yards, but I had distance control problems on longer shots. After a season I switched to my current 58°.

In 2016 I did find a 60° I really liked. At a golf expo I got to hit KickX prototype wedges. The 60° was super - I could hit full swing shots with no real falloff in yardage. Unfortunately, the wedges never became a production model. (KickX is a branch of Medicus, which makes golf training clubs and related training products. KickX made several club models for on-course play.)

Only one I have ever owned was the classic Cleveland 588. I had the 51° 56° and 60°. Very low bounce (3°). I lost the 51°, the 56° wore out but the 60° is still in my garage available for selection. The grooves are still perfect. 

I don't bag it anymore and any time I do it just reminds me why I don't.  

Edited by kiwihacker

17 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

Only one I have ever owned was the classic Cleveland 588. I had the 51° 56° and 60°. Very low bounce (3°). I lost the 51°, the 56° wore out but the 60° is still in my garage available for selection. The grooves are still perfect. 

I don't bag it anymore and any time I do it just reminds me why I don't.  

The 60 deg 588 had only 3 deg of bounce, stock? I don't recall them being that low, I am curious about your comment. I was thinking they were 6 or 8 deg bounce.

1 hour ago, playit said:

The 60 deg 588 had only 3 deg of bounce, stock? I don't recall them being that low, I am curious about your comment. I was thinking they were 6 or 8 deg bounce.

The loft bounce of all three were as follows:

51/6

56/14

60/3

So one extreme to the other. The 60 was good in rock hard summer conditions but dug into the mud like a hot knife through butter in wet, soggy, winter conditions. 

Found these lofts and bounce on an obscure website. Pretty old model now.

588 DSG  
  Loft 45 47 49 51 53 54 56 57 60 64 Loft 52 56 58 60  
  Bounce 8 8 8/5 6 8 12 14 10 3 8 Bounce 10 14 10 3  
   Finishes:  Chrome - RTG - Gun Metal

Back in the late 90s, the trend was no bounce in the 588. I owned a few. Had no idea what I was doing...

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I loved those 588s. Had the 56 and 60 which kicked the old 200 series vokeys out of the bag. I loved them but could no longer find them. 

Great memories. 

Titleist TSR4  | Ventus TR VeloCore Blue 6 44.5"

Titleist TSR3 16.5° | Ventus TR Velocore Blue 7 42.5"

Titleist 816H1 19° | Aldila Rogue Max 85H

Titleist 690.CB 4-P | DG S300

Vokey SM9 52.12F 56.10S 60.08M | DG AMT S400

PING Anser | 35"

Ball | Bridgestone Tour BX | Titleist Pro V1

Bag | Taylormade Flextech Light | Jones Original | Titleist Tour Staff Bag

5 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

The loft bounce of all three were as follows:

51/6

56/14

60/3

So one extreme to the other. The 60 was good in rock hard summer conditions but dug into the mud like a hot knife through butter in wet, soggy, winter conditions. 

Good on you. No wonder the 60 was my favorite club! I used it primarily as a scoring wedge from tight lies, short range up to about 70 yards.

Do you know if there are 60 deg wedges these days with not much bounce? In a quick search, I didn't find one but as I said, it was quick.

EDIT: And do you know if all 588 60 deg had only 3 deg bounce? I found that says it's 12 deg bounce.

Edited by playit
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, playit said:

Good on you. No wonder the 60 was my favorite club! I used it primarily as a scoring wedge from tight lies, short range up to about 70 yards.

Do you know if there are 60 deg wedges these days with not much bounce? In a quick search, I didn't find one but as I said, it was quick.

EDIT: And do you know if all 588 60 deg had only 3 deg bounce? I found that says it's 12 deg bounce.

They eventually made both. My 60 was the 12 degree model. Best lob wedge I ever owned. In college I was a machine with that wedge from 85 in

• Like 1

TAYLORMADE QI 10LS 8* GD VF 50 X

PING G425 LST 14.5 Rogue 80X

PING G430 HY 17* Tour 2.0 X

PING G430 HY 19* Tour 2.0 X

PING BLUEPRINT S Accra Green 125

PING S159 50S, 54H, 58S Accra 130

I series steel shafts 

PING OSLO 3 PLD PLUS no sight line dot only                   

I remember in my mid to late teens I bought a Wilson “trouble” wedge. It was 64 degrees and meant for getting out of trouble. It put me in far more trouble than it got me out of, so I’ve stuck to 60 degrees since as I can just open the face a bit.

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport Two
Titleist pro v1x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

• 1 month later...

I put a 64 in my bag when covid started and my index has dropped 3 points (now 8.3). 

It replaced a 60, so I do have a larger gap between my SW (85-95 yds), but it is my go to club inside of 70 yards, or from greenside bunkers that have a high lip or are short sided.

What I like about the 64 is the ability for the ball to stop on the green (always got too much rollout with the 60).

Some have suggested opening up a 60 for similar results, but mentally, shanking it right is too strong an image.

Mine is a Cleveland 588 RTG which I love but are hard to find.

Have a Cleveland X-Forged as a back up.

Years ago, I bought a Feel 73 degree as an experiment....I think 64 is the the goldilocks solution.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

2 hours ago, njlam said:

I put a 64 in my bag when covid started and my index has dropped 3 points (now 8.3). 

It replaced a 60, so I do have a larger gap between my SW (85-95 yds), but it is my go to club inside of 70 yards, or from greenside bunkers that have a high lip or are short sided.

What I like about the 64 is the ability for the ball to stop on the green (always got too much rollout with the 60).

Some have suggested opening up a 60 for similar results, but mentally, shanking it right is too strong an image.

Mine is a Cleveland 588 RTG which I love but are hard to find.

Have a Cleveland X-Forged as a back up.

Years ago, I bought a Feel 73 degree as an experiment....I think 64 is the the goldilocks solution.

I love my 64    dropped my  60 from my bag

It's perfect for flop shot.

I dont like to open the face up with a 60  

If anything I like to play my 64 with with the intended loft wedge around the green or  delofting if the shot calls for it

I find opening up  the face can lead to chunks with the wedge , only time I do it is from the sand.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 2:14 PM, ChipNRun said:

Back in 2000, Pelz packaged two decades of research on chips and wedges into Short Game Bible. He advocated back then to going to 4 wedges in the bag. Plus, the clock system was used to control distance. See diagram (red loft ranges inserted by me from info elsewhere in the book).

image.png.4c86816046d71696a099567c02ef6691.png

One curious diagram note is the absence of a Gap Wedge (AKA Utility, Attack, Approach). For a long time, Pelz and club designer Ralph Maltby suggested that the GW wasn't really necessary, if one just mastered partial swings.

This is interesting, as GWs began appearing in the early 1990s in club models such as the Titleist DCI Black (released in 1993). The idea was to fill the loft gap between the SW and the PW, when the pitches delofted to the high-40 degree range.

There was someone in the thread above who called Pelz a hack. Well, the wedge system above is used more than you think. Bryson even uses the clock system to dial his irons in. You will hear him talk about how far to take it back and using "time" to describe it. I cant imagine the time it takes to dial in all those feels. My goodness. 

For me, this system above is what got me into the low to mid 70s from the upper 70s to low 80s. Growing up, I never had a clue which club to hit and how far it would go inside a full swing. Now, I have 12 known distances from 50 to 135 yards. I can choke down and take a few yards off each of those distances. I am pretty much guaranteed a 10 to 15 foot putt or less if I can make those swings. Before, I would often be lucky to have 30 feet because it was all feel. If I wasn't playing and practicing a lot, I had NO wedge game. 

Now, regardless of how much I practice or play, I at least have a plan when I have 75 yards. I may not execute it as well as I would like, but I know that is a 58° wedge to 9:00. If I have 60 yards, it is a 7:30 50°.

After reading the Pelz short game Bible, I adopted this system and 4 wedges (currently 44°, 50°, 54°, and 58°). I experimented with a 64 (bent a Snake Eyes low bounce 60 to 64), but I didn't care for it. I can open up a 58 or 60 and hit any shot I want with it. If I carried another wedge, it would open too big of a gap for me in the upper end of my bag.

So, my opinion is Pelz is far from a hack. He studied the short game way more than any of us and he has helped me and countless others. I would doubt too many pros would call him a hack either. I dont agree with or adopt everything he coaches, and I suspect many others feel the same way, but that doesn't make him a hack.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

Bought a cheap Dunlop 64 a few years  ago just to mess around with. Occasionally it’ll make the bag for a hits and giggles round.

Typically I play 46-52-58, so I take out a hybrid if I do play it. I’m just now getting comfortable enough with it around the greens to warrant it more often. High and stops fast.

If I’m feeling frisky (or a few beers in), I’ll attempt a full shot with it. 50-60 yards is about as far as I can go if it’s a perfect strike.

Use to play a local course lined everywhere it seemed with large pine trees. They were even green side on a variety of holes. Got so tired of hitting good approach shots only to have to punch a 8/9 iron under the branches and hope I held the green. My solution was finding a ridiculous spoon looking 68 degree wedge from Pine Meadows golf (appropriate name I concluded) at the local Play It Again for peanuts. Who knew how many times that wedge saved me, specifically on that course. It didn't go far, but it easily climbed over those green lined pines from 50 yards and in & dropped and stopped dead on the greens. It was actually pretty fun to hit. Now, on the vast majority of courses it was pretty useless, but it was a great weapon on that one particular one. Still have it to this day.

On 9/13/2021 at 5:40 AM, animalgolfs said:

I know a 64* is useless 99.01% of the time....on the courses I play regularly 

I have a 62 in the bag that I use 9/10 times I chip, and anything under 95 yards. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

I'd argue if you're good enough to produce more good shots than bad with a 64 degree wedge, you probably don't need a 64 degree wedge. Just open the face of a 56 or 60. But then I'd say that about a 60 degree wedge too. I'm not a good golfer, and maybe I'm doing it wrong, but there's nothing I can do with a 56 or 60 off turf that I can't do easier and more consistently just opening the face of my 50.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I have a 64° wedge in my bag currently. I only use it when I'm short sided and need the ball to stop on the green. I have used it a few times for longer shots, but it's just not worth it. I dropped my 60° for it. I am not a high spin player and when I tried those short sided chips with the 60° they would often roll out more than I wanted. So combine that with the urge to tinker, and the fact that I rarely use a 60 anyways, it's been a good purchase.

• Like 1

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

A 64 doesn't have enough versatility for me. I'd rather open up a 59.

I have an Edel 62 but haven't used it in 3 yrs.

A ball similar to the ProV1s or Bridgestone RXS or XS stop well on the greens for me.

More than 20 yr after reading the putting bible, I remember to play more break, but now use AimPoint and if an uphill putt, make your target beyond the hole; if a downhill putt, a spot before the hole - which spot depends on slope.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

My guess is that back when he developed that theory, it was thought that a 64 would provide the most spin/control/stopping power on pitch shots.  In reality, around a 30 degree launch angle is going to provide the best results and that is usually not going to happen with a 64 and somewhat normal club presentation (dynamic loft, angle of attack).

Edited by dsmil

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter