New Mizuno MPs just announced! Mizuno Pro 221/223/225

Joey09

Anyone have pictures of the 221 and 223 / 225 finishes next to one another? Perhaps I missed it on one of the threads? 

Wondering how close they are in look and finish as I am interested in doing a combo set. I managed to see and hit the 223 and its a wonderful club, toe shape slightly round for my liking but a really good iron from Mizuno!

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

9 hours ago, Kuk said:

I have been playing modus 3 105 stiff in HMB. The new P225 has project x io, did these two shafts perform similarly? The weight on both stiff shaft it’s about 105g vs 110, not much difference. Without hitting the IO I would assume it’s gonna be lower launch and lower spin? 

Perform yes, feel no. This type of shaft is exactly right for my game. I have played the KBS Tour V 110 for 7 years now. I have ordered 2 to PW 225 with Project X IO 6.0. I tried both the Modus 105 and 115 also. All 4 of these shafts in terms of launch, spin, weight and dispersion perform very similar. Launch is probably lowest with Tour V, highest with IO. The feel is always subjective, but I do not like the harsh feedback from the Modus 105/115, feels very R300 but I get many players like that. For me the anti-vibration feel of a Tour V or any Project X has always suited me better. That's the real difference. And whilst they are all a very similar weight, the Project X IO feels the lightest. That did result in a faster swing speed and faster ball speed for me, with higher launch but similar spin. You'll see how many are saying the 225 is a low spin head. I decided to counteract that with a higher launching shaft. Time will tell if I have made the right decision. If Mizuno feel its the right shaft for Mr Joe Average to call it their stock shaft, who am I to argue with that!

• Like 1

Taylormade Mini 300 11.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
Callaway X Forged UT 18, 21, 24 - PX U 6.0
Callaway TCB 5 to AW - PX IO 6.0
Callaway Jaws Raw 54S, 60Z - PX IO 6.0
The 2200 Softie Bobby Grace by Cobra

4 hours ago, UKGolfer79 said:

Perform yes, feel no. This type of shaft is exactly right for my game. I have played the KBS Tour V 110 for 7 years now. I have ordered 2 to PW 225 with Project X IO 6.0. I tried both the Modus 105 and 115 also. All 4 of these shafts in terms of launch, spin, weight and dispersion perform very similar. Launch is probably lowest with Tour V, highest with IO. The feel is always subjective, but I do not like the harsh feedback from the Modus 105/115, feels very R300 but I get many players like that. For me the anti-vibration feel of a Tour V or any Project X has always suited me better. That's the real difference. And whilst they are all a very similar weight, the Project X IO feels the lightest. That did result in a faster swing speed and faster ball speed for me, with higher launch but similar spin. You'll see how many are saying the 225 is a low spin head. I decided to counteract that with a higher launching shaft. Time will tell if I have made the right decision. If Mizuno feel its the right shaft for Mr Joe Average to call it their stock shaft, who am I to argue with that!

Yes for the info. I normally will do a modus 3 custom order. But this time around, I’m just gonna buy the stock offering. saved a lot of waiting time. 

32 minutes ago, Foreleft said:

I know feel is subjective, but I do not ever recall feedback on the Modus shafts as being "harsh".  In my experience, I find it much smoother than either KB or DG shafts, and even most PX shafts.

I'd agree.. in fact, I consider them to be mushy and slow.  I don't like them because of this mushy feel.  

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

On 1/12/2022 at 3:43 PM, UKGolfer79 said:

Its going to annoy me that I have a Mizuno 225 PW (44 degree), and a Vokey 48 degree. Surely we all agree that's two pitching wedges right?

Had a 921 HMP PW and 48 RTX , no problem for me 😁

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

13 minutes ago, kerila07 said:

Could always get the 225 gap wedge

I use 7 iron to 60 wedge around the greens and actually prefer the sharper leading edge on the RTX.  My short game isn’t great but utilizing different clubs has allowed me to be pretty consistent 

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

6 hours ago, bogeypro said:

I'd agree.. in fact, I consider them to be mushy and slow.  I don't like them because of this mushy feel.  

Like I say, all subjective. I found the 105/115 at impact sent shockwaves up through my elbows. Project X felt like butter in comparison. The resulting shot was the same from both shafts however, so it matters not, its what suits the player.

Taylormade Mini 300 11.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
Callaway X Forged UT 18, 21, 24 - PX U 6.0
Callaway TCB 5 to AW - PX IO 6.0
Callaway Jaws Raw 54S, 60Z - PX IO 6.0
The 2200 Softie Bobby Grace by Cobra

5 hours ago, UKGolfer79 said:

Like I say, all subjective. I found the 105/115 at impact sent shockwaves up through my elbows. Project X felt like butter in comparison. The resulting shot was the same from both shafts however, so it matters not, its what suits the player.

I tend to agree on the Modus 105. It has lower torque than other shafts in its range. It feels a little stiff to flex to me. The X flex in 105 i don’t like. 

Other Modus shafts feel a little friendlier IMO. The 125 in regular flex feels like a stiff in other shafts, but I like it. Still, I like the Project X IO more. Nice feeling shaft. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Went in with my mind already fully made up on 4-G in 225 w s300, walked out with 4-G 223 w KBS Tour 120s.  The strike pattern I got with the 223s, coupled with the spin/grouping/dispersion/descent numbers were undeniable. Throwing darts to 185. The sound is also better on the 223 vs 225, just slightly more muted. Topline felt slimmer as well, the 223 is definitely more compact, and knowing the wide sole is down there is very confidence inspiring. The 225 sound is great, looks amazing, just quite didn't get along with it at address, and my strike pattern on the clubface was a little spotty. 221 I am honestly not sure I pured one, I feel like I would have remembered the feel. Kind of hit it as an afterthought because I knew I wanted to move a step away from blades. 221s are pure aesthetic at address, they really went to town refining the topline, shape, and offset. Masterpiece at address, in the bag they look aight. 4s and 20s look better. I thought the lofts on all 3 models produced predictable yardage. My 30* +1" MP4 6 iron went half a club shorter than the 225 7i +1/2" at 30*, and about the same as the 223 7i at 32*. So 223 and 225 are probably similar at the same loft, but I gain half a club in technology/fitting coming from 4s. Also got the GW, haven't played a set GW in like 10 years, also haven't changed irons in like 7 years except for swapping long iron combos around. Finally converted to full CBs! All it took was JPX technology packaged into an MP sized clubhead, at respectable lofts, with classic Mizuno sound, an amazing satin finish, and no janky badging! Congratulations Mizuno for securing the bag. Can not wait to hit the one-piece 8-G

• Like 1

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
OG M2 16.5* Speeder 757s

OG Apex 18* KK 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

13 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I tend to agree on the Modus 105. It has lower torque than other shafts in its range. It feels a little stiff to flex to me. The X flex in 105 i don’t like. 

Other Modus shafts feel a little friendlier IMO. The 125 in regular flex feels like a stiff in other shafts, but I like it. Still, I like the Project X IO more. Nice feeling shaft. 

I guess it just depends on how you fit in a particular shaft with your swing and the right head to shaft combo for a particular player or group. Shafts are primarily timing mechanisms. I myself don’t care for Project X shafts with the exception of the LZ. I find I lose quite a bit of feel with the PX shafts compared to others, but I know they are great shafts for a ton of players. For myself, I really wanted to like the IO shaft. It’s a really cool looking shaft but just couldn’t time it and get along with it. I also couldn’t get along with the Modus 105 or 120, but the Modus 115 stiff fit me perfect and felt amazing in both the 223 and 225 (to be honest it was not on my radar of what I expected to get fit into and did several fittings and many other places just to ensure it wasn’t an anomaly or I was just swing well that particular day). Awesome feel, consistent middle of face contact, and kick point was great. The commonality of why someone may feel the shaft is too harsh IMO is they may not be a good fit and not consistently hitting the ball consistently square in the middle. You’ll be hard pressed to find a shaft and head combo especially in a Mizuno Pro head the feels harsh when struck in the middle.

24 minutes ago, HarborMike said:

I guess it just depends on how you fit in a particular shaft with your swing and the right head to shaft combo for a particular player or group. Shafts are primarily timing mechanisms. I myself don’t care for Project X shafts with the exception of the LZ. I find I lose quite a bit of feel with the PX shafts compared to others, but I know they are great shafts for a ton of players. For myself, I really wanted to like the IO shaft. It’s a really cool looking shaft but just couldn’t time it and get along with it. I also couldn’t get along with the Modus 105 or 120, but the Modus 115 stiff fit me perfect and felt amazing in both the 223 and 225 (to be honest it was not on my radar of what I expected to get fit into and did several fittings and many other places just to ensure it wasn’t an anomaly or I was just swing well that particular day). Awesome feel, consistent middle of face contact, and kick point was great. The commonality of why someone may feel the shaft is too harsh IMO is they may not be a good fit and not consistently hitting the ball consistently square in the middle. You’ll be hard pressed to find a shaft and head combo especially in a Mizuno Pro head the feels harsh when struck in the middle.

This is great feedback. I have a full session with a bunch of clubs set up for the end of this month. (Mizuno, Callaway, Ping, Titleist and TaylorMade.)  And I am glad to see this report on the Modus 115 as I just ordered that (stock shaft) in an Edel SMS 54 degree wedge. 

You know, I once had for a short while a set of irons with the Modus 125 stiff, soft-stepped twice. It felt great. That is a stiff playing shaft too, but in regular or r-plus (basically what a stiff ssX2 is), felt just right. My conclusion is it is the weight as much as anything that I react to. I saw a post from Howard Jones once discussing how heavier shafts typically offer more feel and I wondered how that could be, but it does seem so for me. I always like shafts in that 115-120g range. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

17 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

This is great feedback. I have a full session with a bunch of clubs set up for the end of this month. (Mizuno, Callaway, Ping, Titleist and TaylorMade.)  And I am glad to see this report on the Modus 115 as I just ordered that (stock shaft) in an Edel SMS 54 degree wedge. 

You know, I once had for a short while a set of irons with the Modus 125 stiff, soft-stepped twice. It felt great. That is a stiff playing shaft too, but in regular or r-plus (basically what a stiff ssX2 is), felt just right. My conclusion is it is the weight as much as anything that I react to. I saw a post from Howard Jones once discussing how heavier shafts typically offer more feel and I wondered how that could be, but it does seem so for me. I always like shafts in that 115-120g range. 

Yeah, a few years ago I was playing Apex CF19 in 115 Elevate stiff shafts and was an awesome fit. I unfortunately had a bad bout with tendinitis and needed something a bit softer and lighter. Once I got healthy I went through a few sets with around 98-105 gram shafts in R flex and just couldn’t get along with them anymore. Didn’t know if it was the head or shaft or both. Last summer I made the jump to a 115 shaft and played the best golf in long time. I dabbled in my other set with AMT Blacks which are an ascending set that goes from 94-115 grams (with 3 gram increase every iron), but couldn’t time them and was pulling so many shots and barely hitting middle. Was hating on the set, so went back to 115g set and was fine. Again, this is me speaking from my personal experience so take it for what it’s worth. Your mileage may vary 😉

Also, just quick advice on the iron OEMs you listed; just be aware that Ping, Titleist, and Taylormade (at least from the P790 thread I read on WRX forum), they are experiencing some major delays and wait times. I saw some where folks are still waiting on their orders since July with expected wait times into summer of 2022. Some of it is dependent on shaft or head supply issues. I haven’t really seen any with Callaway and hopefully Mizuno Pro launch will be fine 🙏🤞🤞. I spoke with Mizuno on Friday and they said everything that is listed as current shaft and head offerings are expected to ship as planned with no delays (KBS C-taper, C-Taper Lites, and some other models was listed but they pulled those off their offerings and fitting carts due to supply and delay issues. Stock shipments are expected first week of February. Pre-order customization production is set of beginning of February with expected shipment of mid to end of February. Some posters here said they were quoted as soon as end of January, but not sure what source told them that or if it’s even true. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2022 at 7:26 AM, Foreleft said:

I know feel is subjective, but I do not ever recall feedback on the Modus shafts as being "harsh".  In my experience, I find it much smoother than either KB or DG shafts, and even most PX shafts.

i ordered mu current set up w/ modus shafts is hopes for a higher ball flight but changed them back to c-taper's. the modus shaft felt harsh to me as well....

I know this is impossible to answer legitimately but just looking for random opinions. I can't be fit any time soon and my typical go-to fallback shaft is a backordered KBS (and tbh it's only that because I was fit into it 5+ years ago, no real attachments).

I'm ordering 225's blindly to try them out, YOLO. Which shaft is safest? Think I narrowed down the most common to Project X IO, LZ, or Modus 105. What would you chose for a 9hdcp swinging a 7i at 85-ish mph? And again I know that's just random information, but I'm just throwing a dart anyway lol. HIT ME, MY FATE IS IN YOUR HANDS WRX.

Titleist TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

I would go LZ 6.0, shaft fits a large swath of the bell curve. Not too heavy, not too light, not too stiff, not too active. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

2 hours ago, halfsumo said:

I would go LZ 6.0, shaft fits a large swath of the bell curve. Not too heavy, not too light, not too stiff, not too active. 

Thanks for the feedback, wasn't sure if I was going to get anyone since its obviously a ridiculous ask lol. Sold! If I don't like them I am coming for you tho 😤😂 (joking)

I used GG since I had a few xmas gift cards to blow through, they estimated 02/18. Had to split the order since lie angles are a little funky with Mizuno compared to my Pings.. they get quite flat at the bottom of the bag. So I did +2 upright 4-7 and +3 upright 8-PW. Fingers crossed!

Titleist TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

6 hours ago, Celeras said:

I know this is impossible to answer legitimately but just looking for random opinions. I can't be fit any time soon and my typical go-to fallback shaft is a backordered KBS (and tbh it's only that because I was fit into it 5+ years ago, no real attachments).

I'm ordering 225's blindly to try them out, YOLO. Which shaft is safest? Think I narrowed down the most common to Project X IO, LZ, or Modus 105. What would you chose for a 9hdcp swinging a 7i at 85-ish mph? And again I know that's just random information, but I'm just throwing a dart anyway lol. HIT ME, MY FATE IS IN YOUR HANDS WRX.

I have similar swing speed as you. I was fitted into Modus 115 stiff by several fitters. I was anticipating getting fit into PX LZ since I played those in previous Mizuno irons, but Modus just blew everything out of the water for me. 

16 hours ago, Celeras said:

Thanks for the feedback, wasn't sure if I was going to get anyone since its obviously a ridiculous ask lol. Sold! If I don't like them I am coming for you tho 😤😂 (joking)

I used GG since I had a few xmas gift cards to blow through, they estimated 02/18. Had to split the order since lie angles are a little funky with Mizuno compared to my Pings.. they get quite flat at the bottom of the bag. So I did +2 upright 4-7 and +3 upright 8-PW. Fingers crossed!

Looks like you have already placed your order but I'll echo HarborMike in case anyone else later has the same ask.  My SS averaged out to 88mph and I fit into the Modus 115 stiff.  I tried the PX LZ and the Modus was more consistent.  

• Like 1

Decided to pull the trigger. Split set, PW-7i in the 221s and 6i-5i in the 225s, MMT 105s, while it sucks paying the up-charge, looks like they'll arrive before the clubheads do which is saying a lot these days. Don't yet know how I'll adjust the 225s, 2 years of Shotscope says I need a ball speed boost at the 6i mark, probably going to bend the 6 by 2 degrees and the 5 by 1, but we'll see when I get them.

Can't believe any clubs would replace the MP20s, the nicest clubs I've had but even though subtle, and an absolute splurge, there was enough difference that I could justify it. Great job Mizuno.

MP20s should show up in BST as soon as I get these.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD -  Autoflex SF505X

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Srixon ZX Utility -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

4 Hybrid: Titelist TSi2 - Kuro Kage 60s

PW-5:  Titelist T150 - Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Wedges: Titelist SM9 50,55,60  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Putter: Evnroll ER2

Couldn’t take it anymore! Order is in for a set of 225s 3-PW with a raw 48 T22! All with Project X LS shafts and blue icon ferrules. The T100s are now for sale! 

edit for last minute shaft change in true wrx fashion 🤣

Edited by jetmech879
  • Like 2

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter