New Mizuno MPs just announced! Mizuno Pro 221/223/225

Joey09

21 minutes ago, thigos said:

I would think mizuno would be focused consistent yardages, but the above comment about the jpx forged producing the odd hot one makes me wonder about the 4-7 with the slot. I played the i500 for a very short time and have ptsd (obviously a very different category)

Absolutely agree. And it is hard to get an answer since nobody is really doing in depth reviews yet. Most YouTubers that get the sets have already moved on to review something else or they only post content with their gamers. They pretty much make the initial reviews and move on. 

I like golf. A lot.

16 minutes ago, TomBomb51 said:

Absolutely agree. And it is hard to get an answer since nobody is really doing in depth reviews yet. Most YouTubers that get the sets have already moved on to review something else or they only post content with their gamers. They pretty much make the initial reviews and move on. 

I'm on the same page.  I can't believe there would be an issue with hot ones in a Mizuno Players Iron (223)  I can see where there may a gapping issue where construction changes between the 7 and 8 but that is so obvious that Mizuno has to have accounted for it in the design.

1 minute ago, TomBomb51 said:

Ordered through them direct. I made sure of it.

My past experience with CC is that you should be at the same place in line as anyone that ordered at that time, just much harder to get direct info on timing in that situation.

When and where did you do your CC fitting, assume they had the heads and all of the new stock shafts as well (I'm most interested in trying the Modus 115 Tours)? I've thinking about trying to go over this week to get a fit and put an order in before the release day orders start piling up...

1 hour ago, KParks said:

My past experience with CC is that you should be at the same place in line as anyone that ordered at that time, just much harder to get direct info on timing in that situation.

When and where did you do your CC fitting, assume they had the heads and all of the new stock shafts as well (I'm most interested in trying the Modus 115 Tours)? I've thinking about trying to go over this week to get a fit and put an order in before the release day orders start piling up...

I am clear on the other side of the country hahaha. I went to Victor, NY location (outside of Rochester)

I went on the 15th of January, the day they got the new Mizuno heads. I tried, a couple Oban shafts, Modus 115 and 120, $ Taper, Tour Issue S400 and then what I settled on, PX LZ 6.0.

Everything for me was a** other than the S400 and the LZ 6.0. Kinda polar opposite shafts, but I have gamed S300 my whole life and they randomly didnt have them so I tried S400 and they were great.

Apparently I can't spin a 6 iron for s*** and the LZ helped a bit so we went with that. I have a Mevo and my best friend has the Launch Pro/GC3 and I guess I never realized my spin was so low on all my irons. The fitting was on Trackman with the RCT balls (eventually switched to my Tour B XS gamer for even more spin).

Edited by TomBomb51
  • Thanks 1

I like golf. A lot.

6 hours ago, cprieto01 said:

Anyone get updates on their pre-orders yet?  The waiting is killing me!  Could be worse I guess (cough... cough... Ping)

Patience! Release date next week. You’ll see this thread explode tenfold with ship notification posts or I received email my Mizuno’s ship with everyone replying to each of these what head and shafts you get and what date you ordered per shipping announcements just like all the other threads. Can’t wait to see all the pics of arrival and in the bag. 

I was about to put an amendment/change to my existing order last night for the Mizuno icon ferrules for my 225s, but either I had an epiphany or so scared (after reading other threads) that any changes will kick me down the line and I’ll be like one of those poor souls on the P790, Ping, and Titleist threads come September moaning in pain about how I’m still waiting for my order I placed beginning of January 2022 😱

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 1:31 PM, JZ75 said:

I'm on the same page.  I can't believe there would be an issue with hot ones in a Mizuno Players Iron (223)  I can see where there may a gapping issue where construction changes between the 7 and 8 but that is so obvious that Mizuno has to have accounted for it in the design.

The odd hot one come from the one time they found the center and the rest were off. You will not get a random hot ball from the center of the club. Unless you are talking a jumper lie. 

I have the 225s and 221s in hand the 225 are monsters. The ball explodes off the face. The 221 for a blade is actually pretty for giving and I am not lacking any distance with them. But 225 6 iron and 221 7 iron equals a 25 yard gap.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Just got back from my fitting (I know, I'm behind the curve!). Was very surprised that I got similar numbers (considering loft) between the 223s and the 225s and didn't really notice any forgiveness bump with the 225s. Tried a bunch of shafts (and other OEM heads) but ended up in DG 120S (as I kind of expected going in having done some testing of my own prior to the fitting) and the 223s (which I didn’t expect) as I really liked the feel and the launch conditions were in a tighter (albeit tiny bit shorter) window compared to the 225s. 

Placed order with Discount Dans and so now we play the waiting game! FWIW, they said that they are still being told that orders being placed now should be in the 3-4 week timeframe still (but maybe slightly on the tail end of that since Mizuno has a good amount of pre-orders already).

Edited by KParks
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 7:07 AM, RacineBoxer said:

The issue pretty much comes down to loft and swingspeed. The 223's (with Matt) had a carry distance gap of 52 yards and the 225's (with Ian) had a carry distance gap of 49 yards (from 7i to P). 

As a guy who has played a lot of GI style clubs, and looked into this issue in detail many times over the years, I can tell you that this is driven by a larger spacing of loft in between clubs. Companies want their 7i to go farther in testing and they end up adding another degree of space between clubs (5* instead of 4*). This isn't a problem for someone hitting their 7i 165 but with faster swing speeds (Matt & Ian are both well over 110 with driver) the yardage gaps get bigger and bigger between clubs and this extra degree drives even wider gaps. In the 225 video you'll hear Ian say that the 7i goes 17 yards further than his. He doesn't want that (and doesn't need that).

From 7i to PW the 223's have a 14 degree gap. The 225's are 14. Ping G425 are 14.5. But Ping i210's are only 12. Titleist t100 are only 12. Mizuno 221 are only 12. P790 has 14.5 and P7MB has 12. That ~2 degrees drives most of the difference. If you're a high SS player, distance driven irons probably aren't for you. Or at least I'd say - tread carefully and watch your yardage gaps. 50 yards divided by 3 clubs = 16.6 yards of spacing between each. 40 yards divided by 3 clubs = 13.3 yards. If you carry your 7i over 175-180 you probably shouldn't play a 30* 7i IMO. 

WRX should write a bot to post this comment anytime someone complains about "loft jacking." Well done, sir. 

• Like 1

Less than a week until Release Day 2-3.  Here's hoping my December pre-order ships quickly.  Fingers crossed Mizuno doesn't turn into TaylorMade and make us wait 8 months.

Edited by PowerCobra98
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2H - Steelfiber FC 75
Callaway Apex Pro 3H - Steelfiber FC 75
Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

2 hours ago, PowerCobra98 said:

Less than a week until Release Day 2-3.  Here's hoping my December pre-order ships quickly.  Fingers crossed Mizuno doesn't turn into TaylorMade and make us wait 8 months.

Don't be surprised if our new Mizuno clubs arrive earlier than expected.  My custom TaylorMade Stealth Plus Fairway Wood arrived today and GG website says "Ships after Fri, Feb 4th".  

20220128_120726.jpg

20220128_123140.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, KickGolfer said:

Don't be surprised if our new Mizuno clubs arrive earlier than expected.  My custom TaylorMade Stealth Plus Fairway Wood arrived today and GG website says "Ships after Fri, Feb 4th".  

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My WITB

Cobra Darkspeed LS 10.5º -1º | Tour AD VF 6x

TBD | LIN-Q M40x Blue 7F5

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus Rescue 19.5º | Tour AD IZ 95x

Srixon ZX Utility 4i | MMT 105tx

Titleist T150 | Modus 115x

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 50º & 54º | DG TI S400

Cleveland RTX Full Face 58º |  Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon Garage Las Vegas H7 | KBS CT Tour

Ball: TP5x or Prov1

Mizuno customer service is pretty good at letting you know (if you ask) where your order is in the queue. I called them last year and they said something like "we are currently building orders place on XX date, your order was on XX date, so is slated for build on XX date". 

That said, I have never gotten a Mizuno pre order before release date, opposite actually. Thea couple times I have preordered mizunos, I have gotten them a couple weeks after release date. And that was before the pandemic.

Edited by halfsumo

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

On 1/26/2022 at 4:55 PM, KParks said:

Just got back from my fitting (I know, I'm behind the curve!). Was very surprised that I got similar numbers (considering loft) between the 223s and the 225s and didn't really notice any forgiveness bump with the 225s. Tried a bunch of shafts (and other OEM heads) but ended up in DG 120S (as I kind of expected going in having done some testing of my own prior to the fitting) and the 223s (which I didn’t expect) as I really liked the feel and the launch conditions were in a tighter (albeit tiny bit shorter) window compared to the 225s. 

Placed order with Discount Dans and so now we play the waiting game! FWIW, they said that they are still being told that orders being placed now should be in the 3-4 week timeframe still (but maybe slightly on the tail end of that since Mizuno has a good amount of pre-orders already).

Same setup that I ordered (although mine are lefty)!  I thought I was going with Modus 120, but the DG120s were just tighter all around.

• Like 1

Driver:    Taylormade SIM2, Graphite Design ADVR

Fairway: Ping G410 Rogue Silver 110

Hybrid:   Ping G410 KBS Prototype

Irons:      Srixon ZX5 MKii, Accra iCWT115

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0, 46, 50, 54, 58

Putter:    Kevin Burns

Ball:        Wilson Triad

Just hit these again with my fitter while testing the new Ventus. They are awesome, I went with my usual PX LZ but I could almost go modus 115. The results were really close but I have been gaming LZ for a couple years now. The dispersion is nuts on these for me, just a tight little trackman circle. 

17 minutes ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

Who is gaming the 223 or 225 on tour recently? 

Rory Sabbatini plays the 223’s.

• Haha 1

TM 300 Mini 11.5 AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 3HL AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 7-Wood AD-DI 8X

Ping i230 5-UW LAGP L-Series 120S

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12

Vokey SM8 58-10S

Vokey SM8 62-08M

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4/TM Spider X Hydroblast

9 hours ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

Who is gaming the 223 or 225 on tour recently? 

Olivia Cowen (Mizuno sponsored) on the LPGA Tour went with the 225s. Plenty of players use versions of the 225s (HMB, P790, i500, t200) in their longer irons, but I doubt we'll see many full sets of 225s on the PGA Tour.

But the 223s ... this is probably the most popular design on the PGA Tour. Slim profile, low offset cavity back. There is certainly nothing about the 223 design that would make it prone to fliers, etc. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

I totally agree with the the “fliers” usually being sweet spot strikes. That being said, the high launch low spin irons if struck a certain way can produce a super low spin shot even from the fairway. It’s more of a super GI thing though, most of these players distance irons have sorted that to just a super pure strike. 

44 minutes ago, uglande said:

Olivia Cowen (Mizuno sponsored) on the LPGA Tour went with the 225s. Plenty of players use versions of the 225s (HMB, P790, i500, t200) in their longer irons, but I doubt we'll see many full sets of 225s on the PGA Tour.

But the 223s ... this is probably the most popular design on the PGA Tour. Slim profile, low offset cavity back. There is certainly nothing about the 223 design that would make it prone to fliers, etc. 

20 minutes ago, drscott266 said:

I totally agree with the the “fliers” usually being sweet spot strikes. That being said, the high launch low spin irons if struck a certain way can produce a super low spin shot even from the fairway. It’s more of a super GI thing though, most of these players distance irons have sorted that to just a super pure strike. 

Did someone say that the 223 may be prone to fliers? I know a few pages back I brought up that my 919 Forged often do and it isnt because I am occasionally hitting the center of the face. I am a decent ball striker, currently carry a 0.4 handicap and I know a hot ball when I hit one (I tend to be a lower spin player). I ordered the 223 because of this. I would think the 225 would be similar to a P790 where you can easily catch a PW hot and turbo one 10 yards over a green which I think is why you dont see 225 in better players bags. Yes, can see them in the long irons but the precision isnt nearly as tight with longer irons even for the best players.

I like golf. A lot.

9 minutes ago, TomBomb51 said:

Did someone say that the 223 may be prone to fliers? I know a few pages back I brought up that my 919 Forged often do and it isnt because I am occasionally hitting the center of the face. I am a decent ball striker, currently carry a 0.4 handicap and I know a hot ball when I hit one (I tend to be a lower spin player). I ordered the 223 because of this. I would think the 225 would be similar to a P790 where you can easily catch a PW hot and turbo one 10 yards over a green which I think is why you dont see 225 in better players bags. Yes, can see them in the long irons but the precision isnt nearly as tight with longer irons even for the best players.

I wasn’t referencing 223’s specifically just more echoing what I’ve learned about the newer irons and the “hot shots”. On a T100, if I hit one 10 yds longer that’s either the rough for I actually pured it. On my T200 it’s a bit more of spin loss sometimes from our fairway lies being so lush. With 790’s it’s a total crap shoot since you can’t as accurately determine where you hit it on the face. I think 223’s should be pretty pure irons, what you get from a shot is what you put in it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uglande said:

except the whole premise of how the 4-7 iron are designed…all good. They’re a slick iron, just wish they kept the tech in the build 4-P 

On 1/25/2022 at 10:53 PM, QuigleyDU said:

The odd hot one come from the one time they found the center and the rest were off. You will not get a random hot ball from the center of the club. Unless you are talking a jumper lie. 

I have the 225s and 221s in hand the 225 are monsters. The ball explodes off the face. The 221 for a blade is actually pretty for giving and I am not lacking any distance with them. But 225 6 iron and 221 7 iron equals a 25 yard gap.

You are correct , but.     The reason most likely for this is the high Vcog that these irons all seem to be going to today.  They require such a downward aoa that the shallow delivery guy will hit them “ thin “ A lot but yet will be in the traditional spot on the face.  The actual sweetspot is a groove  or more up the face.  So pairing them with the mb will mean two different strike points really to hit each flush.  Has maltby published their specs yet ? 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock