2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

New Mizuno MPs just announced! Mizuno Pro 221/223/225

Joey09

1 hour ago, TomBomb51 said:

My land angle was exactly 45* actually.

You know more than me so here's another question. Tell me to pound salt if I get too annoying.

Is it an accurate fitting with those massive universal adapters on the club heads and shafts? It seemed liked I was swinging a stick with a brick on it, everything was crazy heavy.

Also, what do you feel about 6 iron only? Again, I've never been fitted and I mad it very clear that I have a gapping issue between a 4 iron and 5 wood and wanted to work there the most. Obviously we couldn't so we kind of guess and just strengthened the 4 and 5 iron to try and blend it a bit. I find that to be unfortunate as you're paying for an iron fitting but you have to make an educated guess on anything outside of a 6 iron.

That is actually a really good question to ask, and something that is hard to figure out. Hitting only a 7 or 6 iron doesn’t tell you much about the rest of the set, and set me into a spiral of buying multiple sets some years and selling the ones that didn’t work. I have fortunately settled on the LZ iron shaft, so pretty much it’s just heads. From multiple fittings on trackman I saw the LZ worked well for me, and individual heads can change performance. As for swing weight, we noticed that I was hitting a fitting driver very well so my fitter swing weighed it. We learned it was lighter than my gamer, so we changed the weights to match… now I play all my new drivers at that weight, along with my 3 wood. This was by accident honestly but explained a lot once we uncovered it. It’s amazing what a shaft will do to swing weight, putting a Ventus red into my fairway lightened up the SW by a point or two. As for the fitting heads being heavy, the above poster is right. In some cases they ream out a good bit to install adapter. 

2 hours ago, kerila07 said:

All depends on the components you ordered.  Late feb doesn’t seem too bad since pre orders have been going on for almost a month.  Hope you didn’t order any kbs shafts those are pretty much impossible to get right now.  

Not a big fan of KBS thankfully given the current issues.  I ordered some JPX irons 2 months ago and they got them to me in 3 weeks, same shafts and grips.  At the end of the day, I'll be ok with late Feb but I'm hoping that's overly conservative.

3 hours ago, kerila07 said:

All depends on the components you ordered.  Late feb doesn’t seem too bad since pre orders have been going on for almost a month.  Hope you didn’t order any kbs shafts those are pretty much impossible to get right now.  

Yep, basically best case scenario for KBS C-Taper and C-Taper Lights is about 3 months, but also saw some threads stating 2023.What shaft did you order?

I put my order in my local shop/fitter and they didn’t foresee any delays since most Nippon shafts are in-stock (which is right around the 1st week of Feb.). But I’ll call Mizuno next week just to confirm.

Edited by HarborMike

51 minutes ago, HarborMike said:

Yep, basically best case scenario for KBS C-Taper and C-Taper Lights is about 3 months, but also saw some threads stating 2023.What shaft did you order?

I put my order in my local shop/fitter and they didn’t foresee any delays since most Nippon shafts are in-stock (which is right around the 1st week of Feb.). But I’ll call Mizuno next week just to confirm.

Mizuno told my fitter to pull the c tapers as an option they cannot get a solid date from kbs and dates they have been given in the past have continually gotten pushed back.  Also like you I read they may not be available until 23.

I placed my order on Friday for a set of 225 4-GW, Modus 115 shafts.  I’m currently playing JPX900 HM 4-6 and JPX900 F 7-GW, all CTL 110s shafts.  I went to the same fitter as I used previously, indoor with Trackman.  My current set is very playable but it had been a few years since I was fit and my swing has changed (for the better) and while I really like the JPX900F I don’t care for the 4-6 irons in Hot Metal, plus new clubs.  The main observations and I’ll caveat them with I may not be the most perceptive:

• I’ve increased my SS since being fit into the CTL 110s, Modus lowered my launch and had the best dispersion 
  • SS was a consistent 88 avg. between my current 7 iron and 223/225 with Modus 115
  • All 3 clubs (JPX900F, 223, 225) looked similar to me at address.  I couldn’t tell any significant difference between 223/225 behind the ball with the fitting 7 irons
  • 223/225 both felt great to me.  The 223 was maybe slightly softer than the 900F but the 225 felt very good to me.
  • 223 had the tighter dispersion for me on L/R misses while the 225 was tighter in distance.  225 definitely seemed to offer more forgiveness on the mishits for me.  
  • Carry yardage averages were (rounded) 160 900F, 165 223, 175 225.  The 15 yard jump between my 900F and 225 was a combination of more consistency from the Modus 115 and club head.  

I went into the fitting hoping that the 225 would provide me the similar look/feel as my 900F but with more forgiveness and distance.  My concern was if it would have the proper spin and descent.  Granted I only hit the 7 iron but the 225 checked all the boxes for me.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, th6252 said:

FYI, chromoly is in 6i and longer, 7i to PW is full 1025e.

Not true. 4i-7i are Chromoly. 

162EF9E7-CADB-4429-9B1E-76FF930FE20D.png

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

4 hours ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

Hit the Center of the face???….irons felt more than fine for the category they are meant for. 

Yeah Im a 5 handicap so yes…hit center of face most of time.  Im a lefty so I feel Mizuno been dropping ball for some time. 921 Forged shouldve been offered lefty.

Edited by ssfranny
  • Like 2

Only irons that feel better to me are the Wilson Staff Model blades and CB’s. 

• Like 1

TM 300 Mini 11.5 AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 3HL AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 7-Wood AD-DI 8X

Ping i230 5-UW LAGP L-Series 120S

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12

Vokey SM8 58-10S

Vokey SM8 62-08M

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4/TM Spider X Hydroblast

I ordered 4-5 225 and 6-P 223 a few weeks back. Wanted just a little more face to look at on the long ones. Have not been this excited for irons in a long time. Been a long time C-Taper player and found the Project X LS to feel quite similar. However my swing is less aggressive than it used to be and I found the S400TI and AMT shafts to feel better tempo wise. Went S400TI and look forward to giving DG ago for the first time in 15 years.

Edited by DPackers
Change Info

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9 MCA Tensei 1k Pro Orange 60 S
Callaway Paradym 15 MCA Tensei 1k Pro Orange 70 S

Mizuno Mizuno Pro FliHi 2 KBS Hybrid Proto S
Mizuno Pro 245 4-5 PX 6.0

Mizuno Pro 243 6-PW PX 6.0
Vokey SM8 50 F,56 D,60 D KBS 610 S
TaylorMade Spider GTX
Bridgestone Tour B X

12 minutes ago, th6252 said:

Sorry, I was a WHOLE iron off…btw, wasn’t I the one who pointed this fact out to you first?

No, you didn’t point anything out to me first. You claimed the Chromoly irons aren’t one piece forged yet they are actually one piece forged then have the micro slot cut, welded and the cavity cap installed. 

• Like 1

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

10 hours ago, HarborMike said:

I’m going with AMT, moving over from DG 120. I’ve dabbled with the ascending mass thing but this is my first try with a whole set. I didn’t realize you could call mizuno direct to check on an order. 

16 minutes ago, noodle3872 said:

No, you didn’t point anything out to me first. You claimed the Chromoly irons aren’t one piece forged yet they are actually one piece forged then have the micro slot cut, welded and the cavity cap installed. 

Yeah…no.  Care to show me where I made the claim they aren’t one piece forged chromoly?

Here’s what I actually stated

“No, from what I've read, the 7i and longer having a different construction than 8i and shorter.  The longer irons are forged chromoly with the microslot technology whereas the shorter irons are straight, solid forged 1025E...no chromoly and no microslot.   You can even see the pictures on Mizuno's homepage where the shorter irons only say "GF Forged HD 1025E" while the longer irons say "GF Forged Chromoly" on the hosels.”

I can see where you assumed I was saying the long irons weren’t 1-piece forged but that’s not the language I used, nor was it what I inferred.

I just said the shorter irons are a different construction which they are.

On 12/28/2021 at 7:43 PM, th6252 said:

Had a chance to do a quick demo of the 225 and 223 at the local pgatss and came away very impressed with both.  The 225 was noticeably more forgiving to me on mishits.  Feel was slightly denser in the 223, but just barely because I was trying to pay close attention.  In actual playing conditions, I’d bet I couldn’t perceive a difference.  To be fair though, I only demo’d the 7i which isn’t one piece forged like the shorter end of the set.  I’m betting the shorter irons in 223 have a truer forged feel as they also are not chromoly like the longer irons.

21 minutes ago, th6252 said:

Yeah…no.  Care to show me where I made the claim they aren’t one piece forged chromoly?

Here’s what I actually stated

“No, from what I've read, the 7i and longer having a different construction than 8i and shorter.  The longer irons are forged chromoly with the microslot technology whereas the shorter irons are straight, solid forged 1025E...no chromoly and no microslot.   You can even see the pictures on Mizuno's homepage where the shorter irons only say "GF Forged HD 1025E" while the longer irons say "GF Forged Chromoly" on the hosels.”

I can see where you assumed I was saying the long irons weren’t 1-piece forged but that’s not the language I used, nor was it what I inferred.

I just said the shorter irons are a different construction which they are.

Check the part I bolded from your December 28 post.  

Edited by noodle3872

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

8 hours ago, hardcaliber said:

I’m going with AMT, moving over from DG 120. I’ve dabbled with the ascending mass thing but this is my first try with a whole set. I didn’t realize you could call mizuno direct to check on an order. 

I didnt either, interesting.

I have been playing with the S300 AMT Tour White in my JPX 919 for a few years now. I have been an S300 player pretty much my whole life. I got fitted this past weekend and I let the fitter do his job, though deep down I wanted to be in the S300. I ended up in Project X LZ 6.0 to kick up the spin a little bit. I will certainly give them a proper run but if something feels off after a few months, you bet your a** I am going back to my S300s. 

Edited by TomBomb51

I like golf. A lot.

Just FYI my shop didn't officially submit my order until today and Mizuno told them they have received so many orders that even though all my components are in stock (Modus 120X, Tour Velvets) the irons might not ship until the middle or end of February. They did say there was still a possibility of getting them out during the first week of launch but couldn't commit to it.

It probably goes without saying but if you have been dragging your feet about placing your order you may want to get it in!

TM 300 Mini 11.5 AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 3HL AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 7-Wood AD-DI 8X

Ping i230 5-UW LAGP L-Series 120S

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12

Vokey SM8 58-10S

Vokey SM8 62-08M

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4/TM Spider X Hydroblast

i went to hit the 223 demo iron at the weekend but when I saw how nice the 225 heads looked I decided to try those instead.   I had my 900F/900T combo with me and the 7 iron comparison was 900F.   I did not find a 105X demo shaft at 1/2" longer so had to use the 120S.  Not exactly apples to apples comparison but close enough.  I could play both shafts easy but prefer 105x.

Agree with a lot of @Yelwar mentioned in his previous post.  At address It was hard to tell the difference between my 900F and the 225.  Very impressed with the look.    Looking at the 223 head it seems very similar at address.   The 225 feel was not quite as soft as the 900F but it was surprisingly good and seemed to be around a club longer and way more forgiving.  I'd guess it feels as good if not better that my 919 HMPs and looks a lot sleeker.  Spin seemed a bit low but this was indoors off mats (with Trackman).

I was pretty much set on getting 223s but now I am thinking 225s.   Interested to see what the 8-PW feel like.   I presume they are not different construction like the 8-PW 223s are?

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

12 hours ago, TomBomb51 said:

I have been playing with the S300 AMT Tour White in my JPX 919 for a few years now. I have been an S300 player pretty much my whole life. I got fitted this past weekend and I let the fitter do his job, though deep down I wanted to be in the S300. I ended up in Project X LZ 6.0 to kick up the spin a little bit. I will certainly give them a proper run but if something feels off after a few months, you bet your a** I am going back to my S300s. 

I have Project X LZ 6.0 in my JPX 921s and could not be happier.  For my swing these shafts are really smooth and I can actually feel them load on the downswing.  I get good height and distance in my long irons and my shots into the green with the short irons come in at a high angle with stopping power.  Definitely give them a fair test.

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 6.0
Callaway Epic Speed 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 5.5

Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

23 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

I have to ask whats with the chromoly?  Cant they just do the whole set on GF 1025E for feel sake?

3 minutes ago, ssfranny said:

I have to ask whats with the chromoly?  Cant they just do the whole set on GF 1025E for feel sake?

They do offer a full set with the blades, also MP20MMC was GF1025E throughout the set if you can find any.  I would be curious if anyone could actually notice the difference if Mizuno didn't advertise it.

14 hours ago, TomBomb51 said:

ive tried different shafts for years .. always end up back with S300s.  Always.

• Like 2

Ping 10k 

PIng 435 3 Wood

Ping 435 17 and 22 Hybrids

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW (3 and 4 on Bench)

Cleveland RTX 6.0 52 56 60

Bettinardi Queen B 6

15 hours ago, TomBomb51 said:

LZ is an awesome shaft. I had the 5.5 in the bag for a while. Moving to DG allowed me to go up a smidge in weight without getting too stiff for my modest swing speed. A little heft is good for my contact. 

1 hour ago, ssfranny said:

1 hour ago, kerila07 said:

They do offer a full set with the blades, also MP20MMC was GF1025E throughout the set if you can find any.  I would be curious if anyone could actually notice the difference if Mizuno didn't advertise it.

Chromoly is used to give the longer end of the set a bit more pop off the clubface. The acoustics and feel off the clubface of the Chromoly clubs is so close to 1025E it’s hard to discern much difference. My rep said Mizuno spent a good amount of time getting the sound and feel dialed in. IMHO, my 921F are pure sounding and feeling. The brief testing of 223 I have done, I thing Mizuno has done an even better job with the sound/feel between the materials. 

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

8 hours ago, tigerfan23 said:

ive tried different shafts for years .. always end up back with S300s.  Always.

That has been my experience as well. I switched to Project X PXi briefly in a set of MP25s, had KBS C Taper in a set of MP15s. That was in the same year. Clearly I was searching for something. Since then, I have changed iron heads a few times, but always had either regular S300 or AMTs in the bag.

My fiance asked what I am going to do with my old irons now that the new ones are on order. I said "backup set" and she just rolled her eyes at me and walked away.

I like golf. A lot.

My guy got in his fitting heads and I was able to hit all 3 over 2 Sim sessions.   What a great looking release, all 3 heads look even better in person !   I said to my guy that the 221 wasn't a feel stand-out IMO ( YMMV ), which is  really another way of saying just how good the 223 and 225 feel.   The head size of all 3 are also highly "agreeable" 👍

I was initially thinking of a 221-225 combo , but now I'm just going all 225 5-GW.   I bought new T200 5-GW at end of season, so I will continue down the Players-Distance road with also a set of 225 in a bag.

I've been playing Steelfiber i95cw Regulars for many years over several sets, but wanted to revisit a mid-weight steel shaft with these Mizunos.   They were never on my radar, but I am having great results with the PX IO , specifically the 5.5 over the 6.0.  I was think Modus 105 and 115, and  DG 120 would be my winner, but I'm liking that PX IO 5.5.

Edited by ARL67
  • Like 1

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

16 hours ago, MyShortGameSucks said:

i went to hit the 223 demo iron at the weekend but when I saw how nice the 225 heads looked I decided to try those instead.   I had my 900F/900T combo with me and the 7 iron comparison was 900F.   I did not find a 105X demo shaft at 1/2" longer so had to use the 120S.  Not exactly apples to apples comparison but close enough.  I could play both shafts easy but prefer 105x.

Agree with a lot of @Yelwar mentioned in his previous post.  At address It was hard to tell the difference between my 900F and the 225.  Very impressed with the look.    Looking at the 223 head it seems very similar at address.   The 225 feel was not quite as soft as the 900F but it was surprisingly good and seemed to be around a club longer and way more forgiving.  I'd guess it feels as good if not better that my 919 HMPs and looks a lot sleeker.  Spin seemed a bit low but this was indoors off mats (with Trackman).

I was pretty much set on getting 223s but now I am thinking 225s.   Interested to see what the 8-PW feel like.   I presume they are not different construction like the 8-PW 223s are?

According to the product page for the 225:

• 2-7 iron are chromoly + tungsten weights
  • 8 iron is chromoly with no tungsten
  • 9-GW are partial hollow 1025E

I considered a combo set blended at the 7/225 - 8/223 but because of the material differences, tungsten in the 7/225 and the loft differences I decided to just go with the 225 full set.  Lofts could have been adjusted but it seemed like a jump to go from the 7/225 with chromoly and tungsten to the 8/223 with 1025E was potentially a big jump.

On the topic of feel.  You noticed a difference between your 900F and the 225 which I didn't pick up on.  One thing I didn't mention was on flush shots the 225 felt softer to me.  I don't know if it was the hollow club head or the fact that it was a higher ball speed but on well struck shots it felt like the ball exploded off the club.  

• Like 1