MEMBER REVIEWS: KBS PGI Players Graphite Iron Shafts! See What Members Are Saying!

Shaft labels/logos are starting to be a bit much with KBS. I hope they're willing to offer a more understated look in the future.

KBS shafts just always seem to work for me, but I admit the look on their graphite offerings is a turn off.

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

FWIW,

I have a set of PXG Gen 4 irons with the MMT shafts and a Set of Apex 21 irons with the PGI 80 shafts, both in stiff.

The PGI shafts are smoother and longer than the MMT which feel pretty boardy to me.  I agree with the 1/2 club longer theme.

These shafts fight through the Texas wind very well. I will be selling the PXG's.....

Amazing fact, I ordered the Apex 21 irons with the PGI shafts three weeks ago through PGA Superstore in Katy Texas and I got them in 6 business days.

• Like 3

Ping G430 10.5, Ventus Red 60
TM 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
TM 7 wood,  Fuji Red TR 70

Ping G430  Hybrid # 22
PXG Gen 6 XP irons 5-GW with MMT 95 shafts

TM M4 54 & 58 Wedges

Odyssey Versa M5  Putter

I finally had a chance to hit the MP-64s with the PGI shafts.  I'll be comparing it to what I recall from years of playing the MP-64s with DG S400s.  What's the most noticeable change?  I'm pain free.  I've been dealing with tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) on the left for 6 to 12 months.  It's not bad, but I definitely feel sore after a driving range session off the mats.  It's been manageable with massage and Theraband exercises to strengthen the forearm, but the best thing about the range session was the lack of left elbow pain.  This is probably the case with other graphite iron shafts, but it's the best thing about the PGIs.  I really don't see myself going back to steel because of this reason.  I'm guessing the primary reason for being pain-free is the vibration dampening.  Graphite reduces vibration better than steel.  This may lead one to think there is lack of feel, but I did not find this to be true.  I can still feel mishits.  Solid shots are rewarded with the typical Mizuno feel that I remember with steel shafts.  

I agree with the others testers that the PGIs produce a high ball flight.  Ball flight is subjectively higher than the DG S400s.  It doesn't balloon, but it's higher.  I'm not the best at flighting a lower trajectory, but it was more difficult compared to the S400s.  The range I use typically has 5 to 10 mph headwind.  I found distance to be about the same, but I've only had one range session.  Perhaps the higher trajectory was punished so the overall distance was no different.

The 100 gram PGIs are slightly stiffer than the DG S400s.  I did not have any difficulty adjusting to the PGIs.  It is very smooth and reminds of an older True Temper product - the Black Gold shafts.  The Black Gold shafts were True Temper's answer to Project X before the two companies merged.  The Black Gold shafts were the smoothest feeling shafts that I've hit and the PGIs are very similar.  

I'll report back after more range sessions and taking them on the course.  Overall, I'm very happy with the performance of the PGIs.

• Like 3

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 9.0 Aldila Rogue 130msi 70X

Cobra F7 Diamana Blueboard 80X

Callaway RAZR X Tour 18 degree GD AD-DI -95 HYB X-Stiff

Callaway RAZR X Tour 21 degree GD AD-DI -95 HYB X-Stiff

Mizuno MP-64 4-PW KBS PGI 100

Fourteen 53 and 59 wedges DG S400

Byron Morgan DH89 34 inches/Odyssey Stroke Lab 7S 34 inches

Great looking shaft here.  Any idea how they’d compare to Steelfiber fc115?  I’m playing those now and really like them, but these sure are purdy…

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

5 hours ago, rbilramz said:

Great looking shaft here.  Any idea how they’d compare to Steelfiber fc115?  I’m playing those now and really like them, but these sure are purdy…

Sorry, I have not hit the Steelfiber.  This is my first experience with graphite in irons.  I'm so impressed with the lack of elbow pain.  I thought about hitting an extra bucket of balls...

I am loving the higher trajectory.  I think with the elbow feeling good, I am not hesitant about making full swings.

I have not hit the 115's but I do have the i95 Steelfibers so can offer a bit of comparison you can take with a grain of salt. I found the PGi's to have a smoother feel, not as damp as Recoils but more than Steelfibers. Not as stiff a feel, more of a smooth flex. I'd say the trajectory is a bit higher, not drastically so but a very "Pro" trajectory. One big difference w/ the KBS's is that they get stiffer as they get heavier, so keep that in mind. They don't come in multiple flexes, but you can adjust a bit with soft or hardstepping.

I doubt you can go wrong, but best of luck!

• Thanks 1

Some combo of any or all:

Ping G400 LST 10* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Rogue SZ 15* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Cally 416 19* Hybrid w/ Diamana S+ 82g Stiff
4-PW: Callaway (OG) Apex w/ KBS PGI 80g / Bridgestone J40 Combo 4-P w/ Steelfiber i95 Stiff
52*, 56* Vokey SM5's

60* Wilson Staff
Ping Ti Anser Wrx

Anyone coming from ctapers lite 110?  Recommend 90 or 100?  Would like the flight down a bit...but KBS is my jam.  Hoping to go to graphite though. 

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

To me, the Steelfibers have more of a "steel feel" than the PGi's. Not completely,  but lean that way.

Some combo of any or all:

Ping G400 LST 10* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Rogue SZ 15* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Cally 416 19* Hybrid w/ Diamana S+ 82g Stiff
4-PW: Callaway (OG) Apex w/ KBS PGI 80g / Bridgestone J40 Combo 4-P w/ Steelfiber i95 Stiff
52*, 56* Vokey SM5's

60* Wilson Staff
Ping Ti Anser Wrx

Played a round today. I definitely like having the 2 logos on the side. Looking down and addressing the ball, it is clean and not distracting.  I found the yardages to be about the same as with the S400 shafts.  

The swing weight is closer to D5-6 so I will need to get used to the heavier feel. Or I may have to have my buddy trim the grip end of the shaft. I’m willing to see how the heavier swing weights work out.  

Once again, my left elbow feels great after the round - this difference cannot be overstated.  I should have changed to graphite shafts a long time ago.  I can swing confidentially knowing that my elbow will not hurt. 

I typically carry my bag so I’ll see if any wear develops on the shafts. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 10:22 PM, WarEagleGolf said:

Anyone coming from ctapers lite 110?  Recommend 90 or 100?  Would like the flight down a bit...but KBS is my jam.  Hoping to go to graphite though. 

I have played the C-Taper Lites in irons through the years and still have one in my standalone 3i.  I think you are going to get a smoother feel with the PGI but a higher trajectory.  Not by much, but they do elevate just a little more and on a really good and boring trajectory. I have found that there is no problem flighting the ball down when needed though, so just another thing to think about maybe with the transition.  I do think I will end up swapping out the CT lite for the PGI in my 3i eventually.  I should've asked for that one as part of my testing. 

Edited by weezel514

T Bone Steak, Cheese Eggs, and Welch's Grape

Taylormade Stealth 2+ - MCA Kai'li Blue 60s

Callaway Epic Speed 3w & 5w - Project X HZRDUS Smoke im10 70s 

Taylormade '21 P790 4-gw - MCA MMT 105s

Taylormade Hi Toe 2 Raw 54, 58 - Aldila NV Black 105s

Wilson Staff Infitinte Buckingham

Srixon Z Star 🔷

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve gotten a couple rounds and driving range sessions in the past 2-3 weeks. I still have DG S400s in my wedges.  I do often practice 100 yards and in with the wedges. The tennis elbow definitely acts up more when I hit the wedges.  The elbow has been perfectly fine with the PGIs. Overall, I’m extremely satisfied with PGIs. It was an easy transition coming from the S400s. Looks-wise, the black and red color of the shafts is great. I usually carry when I play and the shafts are holding up well in my Ping Hoofer. 

Had the opportunity to play Torrey North last week. Here’s the shaft in my 8 iron with 12th green and clubhouse in the background. 

FDD8E1F9-D7D1-42CA-BB4E-EC1EA864F253.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I am absolutely loving these KBS PGI graphite shafts.  My entire bag is graphite now except my putter and two wedges.  What would people recommend for graphite wedge shafts?  I currently game a 52 and 58 Taylormade Hi Toe wedges with KBS Hi Rev 115 shafts. 

Edited by weezel514

Srixon Z Star 🔷

9 hours ago, weezel514 said:

So I am absolutely loving these KBS PGI graphite shafts.  My entire bag is graphite now except my putter and two wedges.  What would people recommend for graphite wedge shafts?  I currently game a 52 and 58 Taylormade Hi Toe wedges with KBS Hi Rev 115 shafts. 

Hello - Look into the Accra SP wedge series shaft.  They are amazing!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, aparabola said:

What is the criteria or qualification[s] in order to be selected to test new equipment? If already published here on WRX, I have not found it yet lol. New account here. Thanks.

It is a totally random selection process by GolfWRX…they will post a sign up in this forum for you to apply for the test. Simple fill out the information and wait to see who is selected. 
I was lucky enough to be selected this year to test the new Tour Edge driver.

Edited by Sparty4202
  • Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2021 at 5:10 AM, weezel514 said:

Hi @weezel514, was wondering if you have had any joy with the wedge shafts. I have just gone graphite, awaiting the PXG Gen4 P series with KBS TGI irons, and was wondering the same about my wedges - the PGIs but with extra weight, say the 100s look like a good way to go but was looking for some input?

Thanks

12 hours ago, HaggisPXG said:

Hi @weezel514, was wondering if you have had any joy with the wedge shafts. I have just gone graphite, awaiting the PXG Gen4 P series with KBS TGI irons, and was wondering the same about my wedges - the PGIs but with extra weight, say the 100s look like a good way to go but was looking for some input?

Thanks

@HaggisPXG I have not gotten around to getting wedge specific graphite shafts just yet.  I love the KBS PGI shafts though and they treated me well today out on the course.  Getting a little extra distance and higher ball flight, but there is still great stability in the shafts.  Cheers!

Srixon Z Star 🔷

Really interested in these.  I currently play the MMT 105TX and testing the MMT125’s.  I’ve been experiencing elbow pain recently but it’s tennis elbow not due to golf.  I had aggravated it with a repeated motion at my desk.  Due to the pandemic I’ve actually been working more hours sitting in front of my computer and even on weekends since we work from home.  Caused my eyesight to get worse as well but that’s off topic.

anyway, would love to hear more about these shafts.  Interested in what everyone’s drivers swing speed for comparison as that’s the only swing speed I have an idea of what speed is close to what flex (in general as I know everyone swings it differently).

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

I ordered my ZX5s with SW Recoils.  I have a 585 with the PGI shaft 7 iron and a 585 PW with a Accra shaft. 

Use these two irons for lessons and to practice with. 

Was on the range with my ZX5's and was also hitting the 585 7 iron and I called my fitter and had him order me a full set of the PGI's.  They just feel so much better than the Recoils.

I also played the TGI's but found them boardy and stiff to flex.  

The KBS Max should feel smoother on paper but I didnt feel that in my ZX4s or SIM irons.

IMHO the PGI's are the best in the KBS range or any iron graphite shaft.  

And since they come in a wide range of weights, I think it will work for many in the market for graphite iron shafts.

Stay safe!

• Like 2

So update on the shafts.  Still love the performance but noticed that the paint is already chipping in my 8 iron.  

IMG_3356.JPG

IMG_3357.JPG

Srixon Z Star 🔷

On 1/4/2022 at 2:36 AM, My2Dogs said:

Really interested in these.  I currently play the MMT 105TX and testing the MMT125’s.  I’ve been experiencing elbow pain recently but it’s tennis elbow not due to golf.  I had aggravated it with a repeated motion at my desk.  Due to the pandemic I’ve actually been working more hours sitting in front of my computer and even on weekends since we work from home.  Caused my eyesight to get worse as well but that’s off topic.

anyway, would love to hear more about these shafts.  Interested in what everyone’s drivers swing speed for comparison as that’s the only swing speed I have an idea of what speed is close to what flex (in general as I know everyone swings it differently).

So I would say I am traditionally a stiff flex iron shaft player and came from True Temper Elevate Tour stiff.  About 104 mph driver SS.  These 90 gram KBS PGI are amazing.  Still get all the stability but with a lighter and easier to swing shaft.   I'm all in on these.  Huge fan and can still play all the shots.  I don't think I'll ever go back to steel for irons. 

• Like 1

Srixon Z Star 🔷

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 12:45 AM, weezel514 said:

So I would say I am traditionally a stiff flex iron shaft player and came from True Temper Elevate Tour stiff.  About 104 mph driver SS.  These 90 gram KBS PGI are amazing.  Still get all the stability but with a lighter and easier to swing shaft.   I'm all in on these.  Huge fan and can still play all the shots.  I don't think I'll ever go back to steel for irons. 

This is solid. Thanks. Any one who is in this same 104-105 driver ss range who is playing the 100 gram PGI? Wondering if that is an option. The 100 gram TGI felt way too stiff to me. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

3 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

This is solid. Thanks. Any one who is in this same 104-105 driver ss range who is playing the 100 gram PGI? Wondering if that is an option. The 100 gram TGI felt way too stiff to me. 

I have a set of Wilson v6 raw being shafted up with the PGI 100's ss*2  The 7 iron was finished while some weights are on order for the goofy head weights.  It feels great.  Can't wait until I have the whole set.  Oh, and my driver speed is in the 103-108 mph range depending on how my back and elbow are feeling

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

6 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

My driver ss is 104-108 and I’m playing the 100s. Previously had DG s400s.  It’s been a few months now and I do really like these graphite shafts.  No issues making the transition. Very stable shaft and I’m happy overall.  For me on a stock shot, the trajectory is higher than what I’m used to.  I didn’t compare DG s400 to KBS PGI on a launch monitor to compare numbers.  

Vibration dampening is a godsend.  I’m wondering if anyone else has replaced their steel shafted wedges with graphite?  At the range, I hit a bunch of shots with my 59 and 53 degree wedges. They still have DG s400s. Because of this, my elbow tendinitis is still problematic. 

I haven’t had any noticeable wear on the shafts and I typically carry my bag when I play. I also hit the PW, 8 and 6 the most at the range and the shafts look brand new to me

• Like 2

On 1/29/2022 at 2:29 AM, kidcardio said:

My driver ss is 104-108 and I’m playing the 100s. Previously had DG s400s.  It’s been a few months now and I do really like these graphite shafts.  No issues making the transition. Very stable shaft and I’m happy overall.  For me on a stock shot, the trajectory is higher than what I’m used to.  I didn’t compare DG s400 to KBS PGI on a launch monitor to compare numbers.  

Vibration dampening is a godsend.  I’m wondering if anyone else has replaced their steel shafted wedges with graphite?  At the range, I hit a bunch of shots with my 59 and 53 degree wedges. They still have DG s400s. Because of this, my elbow tendinitis is still problematic. 

I haven’t had any noticeable wear on the shafts and I typically carry my bag when I play. I also hit the PW, 8 and 6 the most at the range and the shafts look brand new to me

I plan on swapping out my wedge shafts with graphite eventually.  I currently play the KBS Hi Rev in my TM Hi Toes. They are great, but like you mentioned I want the vibration dampening as well as lighter weight. 

Srixon Z Star 🔷

• 2 weeks later...

hello, I want to put one of these in a 18deg driving iron, it would be 40/39.5" I think. I swing driver about 95/100 and 7 iron about 80/85. have max85's in my irons.  was thinking of the PGI 90.  tipping says 1/2" for a 3 iron, so an 18deg is considered a 2? should it be fitted non tip trimmed. I'm also looking for a lower ball flight to stay under the wind on a coastal lynx coarse in Ireland. Would more tip trimming lower the launch? 

thanks

• 2 months later...

Trying to decide between the PGI 75 or 85 (cobra lists these weights which differ from the KBS site. I am not a super fast swinger, but usually prefer the connected feel - less noticeable flex of a stiff steel shaft. My current irons have the Modus 105 x stiff and as I age I am feeling that I might need less. I went from PX 5.5 to these and struggled for a bit with the lighter shaft but now I love them. 

When you all went lighter in the PGI, did you struggle? I assume that the 75 will feel a bit more like my 105's in flex? And the 85's more like a stouter stiff steel? 

My driver SS is 95 witch borders the regular and stiff in most shafts 

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

• 4 weeks later...