Callaway UW

copegolfer

I was hoping these were eligible for Callaway’s current trade in bonus but sadly they aren’t. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Just picked a 17* up on CPO today.  Going to replace my fairway wood with it.  As a high spin player, I am hoping this will be a little lower spinning and not balloon on me.  I got it with the HZRDUS Smoke Black, but I might be replacing it with a Tensei White or a D+ shaft.  I am a Diamana fan boy.  I also have a Tour AD DI that I might try out too. I came here looking for tipping information and you guys didn’t disappoint.  Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

Just now, Radeon962 said:

Anyone reshaft a 21* with a Tour AD TP or other GD shaft?  Wondering how much to tip the shaft.  

Standard tipping for a 7w/9w is 1” per GD but seems like I read earlier in the thread that Callaway tips shafts at 1.5” as standard for the UW.

I had a TP in my 21. I did 1.25" and split the difference between the two recommendations. Should only be a difference of like .5* launch and ~100-200RPM at a .5" tip difference and I preferred a higher flight and spin in this slot (hence why I went back to a 7W). If you want the opposite then you can do the higher trim or the full 1.5".

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

On 5/24/2022 at 4:44 PM, BostonWRX said:

My 17 uw may be me favorite club in the bag. So much better than a 3 wood for me. I swear it goes as far 

I'm sure I'm not the only one that tries multiple hybrids a year but the 17* UW has been great so far. At the stock length, it definitely goes as far as a 3W. But the thing I love is that its super easy to choke down on and plays almost like a second club - so much so that I took my 20* hybrid out of the bag. Easy to work both ways as well.

For me, I'm just a player that has never gotten along with smaller headed FW woods on long shafts - so a club like this with a chunkier head has proved a winner so far. 

FWIW I bought a TC 4W from CPO around the same time and its no comparison - the UW is miles better for me.

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 2

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

41 minutes ago, Radeon962 said:

Anyone reshaft a 21* with a Tour AD TP or other GD shaft?  Wondering how much to tip the shaft.  

Standard tipping for a 7w/9w is 1” per GD but seems like I read earlier in the thread that Callaway tips shafts at 1.5” as standard for the UW.

I have a Tour AD DI 8s in my 21* and I tipped it 2". Produces a high launching flight that doesn't balloon at all, it's overtaken the 17* UW as my favorite club in the bag. I am playing it 1" short however at 40", so it has a substantial amount of hot melt added to the head. Can't speak for how it would feel tipped that much at the conventional length and head weight. But how I have it configured, it feels perfect. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 17° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 20° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

I picked up a used 19* locally with the stock shaft. I hit it a few times at the range today but I was there to work on my swing so I didn't want to get too distracted with a new club. 

It's definitely longer than my Rogue Heavenwood but it wants to launch and fly lower. I'm not going to judge it based on 10 balls during a technical session. I'll try it again from a tee and mess with different ball positions as well. Might need a different shaft, or might not be a fit for me. 

Edited by me05501

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

I've got to hit the 21* with the stock Black RDX 70 6.0 shaft on the range today. I generally carried it 220+ and might consider purchasing it to replace my hybrid as well as the 17* version to replace my G410 3 wood. Unfortunately, the Callaway fitter did only have the 21* version and stock shafts available. As a low spin player, I am generally fine with the Black RDX 60 in my driver (SS 103-105) and the results in the 21* UW seemed ok. However, I suspect that I could benefit from a slightly higher launch and more spin in the 17* version. As there is nowhere near to test the various options, are there any recommendations whether to pick the RDX Red vs. New Tensei AV Blue?    

• Like 1

Been very intrigued with the UW and looking at picking one up and as a replacement for 3W to be a mini 4w type club. I hit the 3W fine off the tee (with an occasional hook miss) but most struggle off the turf so it rarely gets used there. Always struggled with hybrids, I’ve tried a bunch. but with my miss being slight toe they hook off the planet so recently switched to a 21° XF UT and it’s perfect. I give up about 5-10 yards vs most hybrids but worth it for massive consistency and gaps perfectly from my 4i. But now the gap between that and my 3 wood is a little large and wouldn’t mind giving up 5-10 yards for more control and versatility. Here’s what I’m thinking:

Current setup 

250-260 yrds Epic TD driver w/ 60g Smoke RDX 6.0

230-240 yrds Epic Flash 3W 15° HZRDUS 70g Smoke 6.0

210 yrds XF UT 21° HZRDUS 80g Smoke 6.0

So I’m thinking of going 17 UW w/ the 70g RDX and expecting to get to about 225-230 yards with it. Am I on the right track here? 

• Like 1

Yes, on right track. I play my UW 17* with GD Tour AD D1 7s. It goes the distances you are describing for me. Great from tee, fairway or rough. It is my go to club from many different lies or distances. I have been using it since November. 

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym Std 10.5*-Tour AD XC 6s

Apex UW’s: 17*-Tour AD IZ 8s, 19* & 21*-Tour AD UB 7x

UT Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21*-Tour AD DI Hybrid 85x

Irons: Callaway Epic (2017)-UST Recoil ES 780 F4 (6-PW)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48*S, Jaws MD4 52*S and Jaws Raw Full Toe 58/10

Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta DB Stroke Lab 34"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Honorable Mention: Paradym Std 3HL (16.5*) - GD Tour AD IZ 7s

On 6/2/2022 at 12:16 PM, me05501 said:

I picked up a used 19* locally with the stock shaft. I hit it a few times at the range today but I was there to work on my swing so I didn't want to get too distracted with a new club. 

It's definitely longer than my Rogue Heavenwood but it wants to launch and fly lower. I'm not going to judge it based on 10 balls during a technical session. I'll try it again from a tee and mess with different ball positions as well. Might need a different shaft, or might not be a fit for me. 

I spent a little more time with this club and hit it a few times on the course. 

This club wanted to hook in my hands but it really went a long way. It’s up in the same range as my three wood which is a club I want to keep in the bag. I sold the 19 to a fellow member here and will look for a 21 to try.  I’ll also likely try the 5.5 shaft as the 6.0 was a bit difficult for me to elevate. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Update: Was able to go by my local golf galaxy today and they didn’t have a 17 but I able to hit a 19 UW with 70g 6.0 RDX against my Epic Flash 3W on the track man.

19° UW - 209 carry, 226 total 

15° EF 3W - 216 carry, 244 total

UW 19 was spinning about 500 rpm more and peaking 20-25ft higher.  Misses with the UW were much tighter to centerline although a bit shorter. UW was much more consistent numbers whether off a short tee or straight off the mat.  Where as the 3W carry numbers are hurt a bit by me struggling to elevate it off the deck. 

I could easily imagine a 17° playing as a 3W replacement. But the 19 really isn’t far behind. I do like seeing the UW land and stop a bit a quicker. 

Question… for those who have hit 17 and 19 with same shaft, what’s the yardage, spin, and height difference you’re seeing? I would love to see the 17 UW go +10 yards carry and total vs the 19 UW. And probably fair to expect maybe 200-300 rpm less spin and 10-15 ft lower peak. 

I asked Golf Works which weights to use for the UW and their response -

Callaway has told me that they made a weight just for the Apex Utility Wood. They told me their other weights would not fit.

What have you all found to fit the UW?

I dropped half an inch in length and to make my swing weight I want to replace the removable weight.

Sure lead tape or hot melt but swapping that weight is the clean fix.

2 minutes ago, M1KL83 said:

I asked Golf Works which weights to use for the UW and their response -

Callaway has told me that they made a weight just for the Apex Utility Wood. They told me their other weights would not fit.

What have you all found to fit the UW?

I dropped half an inch in length and to make my swing weight I want to replace the removable weight.

Sure lead tape or hot melt but swapping that weight is the clean fix.

Callaway 2022 New Apex Utility Wood Weights (weights sold separately) – Billy Bob's Golf (billybobsgolf.com)

• Like 1

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

4 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

Thank you they look just like Golf Works Rogue Sub Zero weights, ...which are the exact same specified grams 2, 4, 6, 8, 9.5 etc.

Oddly enough neither Billybobs nor Golfworks list the 7gram as an option even tho it comes with the UW as stock.

https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-xr-big-bertha-great-big-bertha-and-x2-hot-head-weights/p/bb9081/#question/7918111

I have a 21* with the 5.5 shaft inbound. Probably a better fit for me in the 200ish yard spot. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

I use the 9g weight from Shaft Connect in my 17* since the shaft is butt trimmed down shorter than stock. The link is below. The original weight is 7g for the 17*. I have used this new weight for about a month with no issues on the course/range. I read somewhere to be careful with using a 11g or larger weight since it could encroach on the crown or etc. This was related to the 17* head so this could different for the 19* or 21*. I am not sure about that fully, but 9g was enough weight for me. 

https://shaftconnect.com/collections/club-head-weights/products/head-weight-compatible-with-callaway-epic-speed-driver-fairway

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym Std 10.5*-Tour AD XC 6s

Apex UW’s: 17*-Tour AD IZ 8s, 19* & 21*-Tour AD UB 7x

UT Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21*-Tour AD DI Hybrid 85x

Irons: Callaway Epic (2017)-UST Recoil ES 780 F4 (6-PW)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48*S, Jaws MD4 52*S and Jaws Raw Full Toe 58/10

Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta DB Stroke Lab 34"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Honorable Mention: Paradym Std 3HL (16.5*) - GD Tour AD IZ 7s

I just received 2 of the Billy Bob's weights. They fit nicely. The 9.5 weight came in light at 8.7 and the 11 came in a little heavy at 11.3. Obviously not likely noticeable to anyone other than Tiger Woods, but the tolerances do seem wider than other aftermarket weights I've seen. Was mostly disappointed in the 9.5 weight, ended up not even being a full SW point difference from the stock 7 gram weight.   

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 17° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 20° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

Hit this along with some other clubs in the 17-19* range and didn't really hit it well on the monitor. I hit a couple Cobra fairways then the Stealth plus 5w. I hit the Stealth plus much better. Hit a Titleist Utility 2iron very good as well. I think it's the shaft and swingweight mostly that I didn't get along with. The clubs I hit well both had a hzardous 6.0, which I always hit well. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 2:54 PM, toolman said:

Finally got my Apex 17 on the course today. Mine is cut 1/2 an inch with a 10 gram weight in the head. My home course is super tight, tree and house lined and is easily the most difficult driving course in the area. I only hit my driver 3 times and the other times I used the apex. All together I hit 77% fairways and never missed one with the apex. Distances were between 240 and 250 easily. The most impressive hole however was a long par 5, super narrow fairway and I hit the UW off the tee and left myself 231 in, dogleg to the right with trees blocking the approach angle. I hit the UW a little thin but it carved around the tree landed on the green to about 15 feet for eagle…shocked it held the green but it did. This club is an absolute game changer. Bye bye fairway woods!

DANG!!  That's awesome and love hearing reviews like that!

- Something that continues to go long off the tee in the fairway
- Something that is a fairway finder when needed and long
- Something that high, consistent and helps with par 5’s
-  Something to help with long par3’s and short par 4’s

-  Something metal, lots of them and go the gaps I need
- Something metal, 2x of them and helps me 120y and in
- Putters - limited rotation because I cannot afford misses

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

Rather than expecting lets all try and appreciate instead. 
Treat people the way you want to be treated

On 6/6/2022 at 4:25 PM, rondre3000 said:

Question from those with multiple UW's in the bag? Are the headsizes all the same?

im sure actual numbers are negligible but I have 17 and 21 UWs and the 21 is definitely bigger at address than my 17. I’m sure it’s mainly because you see way more loft on it that makes appear bigger but in reality I bet it’s only ~10-12cc bigger

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 5:01 AM, Radeon962 said:

i put a GD VR 8TX in my 17 UW and tipped it about 2” playing at around 42.5” and it’s just the right amount for me

3 hours ago, Glock917 said:

i put a GD VR 8TX in my 17 UW and tipped it about 2” playing at around 42.5” and it’s just the right amount for me

Put a Diamana ZF 70s tipped 1.5" at 40.25" and it appears to be a match made in heaven.  Just got back from the range and hopefully it performs the same way on the course.  Feels awesome.  Ball flight is just what I wanted.  

I guess these just aren’t for me (or maybe it’s this shaft). I’ve tried a 21* 5.5 and a 19* 6.0. Very inconsistent with both. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

I guess these just aren’t for me (or maybe it’s this shaft). I’ve tried a 21* 5.5 and a 19* 6.0. Very inconsistent with both. 

I wouldn't give up just yet. 

That testing scenario is backwards. 

If anything, I'd blindly suggest, the 5.5 in the 19.0° and 6.0 in the 21.0°.